ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

Lost a Classmate Yesterday :(

http://flaglerlive.com/52507/motorcy...comment-619969

I came home from the beach yesterday to see this article. He was a fellow WyoTech student that started at the same time I did. I didn't know him all that well, but I had talked to him a few times, and he seemed like a great guy. He had put a lot of work into his bike, but he was very quiet and seemed quite humble, which is rare at our school.

Having lost friends to accidents, and being a motorcyclist myself, this really hit too close to home, especially since it was someone I have seen 5 days a week for the past 3 months. It made it even more difficult knowing that we had finals yesterday, and that any other day he would have still been in class at the time of the accident.

I hate that I ever have to be reminded, but what we do is inherently dangerous, and we can't take a single moment for granted.
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:22 PM   #2
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

My deepest condolences...
Like any other dangerous activity, we have to be ever vigilant for our safety.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:25 PM   #3
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

"He was not wearing a helmet..."

"the motorcycle came around the corner and you could see he was just going too fast"
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
"He was not wearing a helmet..."

"the motorcycle came around the corner and you could see he was just going too fast"
Helmets aren't made to save your life, they're made to save your head. He died because his leg was smashed. I believe they used the words "almost lost a leg" in the article.

Don't get me wrong, I don't go anywhere without my helmet on, but I'm not banking on it to keep me from dying anymore than I'm banking on the seatbelt in my truck.

As far as his speed is concerned, I wouldn't be one to cast the first stone. I can't say I've taken every curve at the speed limit.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:59 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Godspeed...
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:03 PM   #6
lgk

Reading the article, there seemed to be no accurate reference for speed other than he looked like he was going too fast. I didnt take it too seriously.

Any collision speed over 30mph results in serious injury to a rider.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:22 PM   #7
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Stupid boy! Who corners hot on a Harley? I know I took a "fast" 90* left on my dads fat bob and I was already dragging hard parts... Fast was not more than 30-35mph.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goom View Post
Helmets aren't made to save your life, they're made to save your head. He died because his leg was smashed. I believe they used the words "almost lost a leg" in the article.

Don't get me wrong, I don't go anywhere without my helmet on, but I'm not banking on it to keep me from dying anymore than I'm banking on the seatbelt in my truck.
What?

Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that
motorcycle helmets reduce the likelihood of crash fatality by 37 percent. Norvell and Cummings found a 39 percent reduction in the risk of death after adjusting for age, gender, and seat position.
http://www.smarter-usa.org/documents...Helmet-Q&A.pdf
Quote:
Traumatic brain injury is a leading cause of motorcycle crash death. Even when not fatal, these debilitating head injuries can mean a lifetime of costly rehabilitation and severe emotional trauma for family and friends. In fact, treating severe traumatic brain injuries costs 13 times more than non-brain injuries http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafet...revention.html

I don't think he was wearing any safety gear judging by that picture of his shoe lying in the road. Mmmhm. Maybe gear could have saved him from losing that leg which apparently caused his death. I think once you start speeding around blind turns on a cruiser without any gear you are asking for trouble. This is Darwinism at it's best.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

I was thinking about that as well. I wonder if a good pair of leathers would have saved his leg. Sorry to hear regardless OP.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:32 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
What?
That is the law of absolute logic. Nothing really wrong his logic in this case. Much like a bullet proof vest will not stop a bullet to the head.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:37 PM   #11
psych0hans

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

@Jono what @Goom is trying to say is, a helmet alone will not save your life, make you invincible... In this case, having a helmet on, would not have saved him. You still have to have a head under that helmet... one you know how to use...

Old April 4th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #12
MARCUSMARC
ninjette.org member

Name: Marcus

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 205r

Makes me wish that more people were trained in first aid and able to help in times of need. Sounds like a tourniquet could have been life saving in this situation. Very sad and unfortunate.
MARCUSMARC is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUSMARC View Post
Makes me wish that more people were trained in first aid and able to help in times of need. Sounds like a tourniquet could have been life saving in this situation. Very sad and unfortunate.
^^ this, about 10 of us in my local group renewed our CPR and first aid certs this Feb. I hope we never have to use any of the skills.

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #14
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUSMARC View Post
i keep a first aid kit in my pack, but i might need to upgrade it to a trauma kit.

or supplement it with tourniquets, a splint making material, and clotting agents.

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
..........I came home from the beach yesterday to see this article. He was a fellow WyoTech student that started at the same time I did. I didn't know him all that well, but I had talked to him a few times, and he seemed like a great guy. He had put a lot of work into his bike, but he was very quiet and seemed quite humble, which is rare at our school.
Terribly sad, Eric!!!

I have felt like you do several times years ago,.........and I still remember those accidents today.

It may have been a mechanical problem, since the turn and condition of the pavement don't look like inducing a low-side skid.

Judging by the damage to the truck, he had a very strong impact over his left side.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #16
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I don't think he was wearing any safety gear judging by that picture of his shoe lying in the road. Mmmhm. Maybe gear could have saved him from losing that leg which apparently caused his death. I think once you start speeding around blind turns on a cruiser without any gear you are asking for trouble. This is Darwinism at it's best.
+1

It's never good to lose a fellow rider but, at the same time, I must admit he lost my sympathy when I found out he didn't have a helmet and was speeding. No, I don't take every curve at the speed limit but I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me if I mess myself up. To me, it looks like he may have just went wide in the turn which caused him to cross into the oncoming lane.

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #17
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

My condolences mate, I can imagine how it would feel to see someone go just like that and I don't mean any disrespect when I say this, but I'm more inclined towards what other's have already mentioned. I still don't understand why people think its cooler to not wear any protective gear. I see hundreds of squids everyday trying to show off with out even the standard protective gear that is in fact required by law, the helmet. Even before I got my bike I made sure I got atleast my helmet first because I'd rather look like fully geared up dork and survive to ride another day than look cool to impress someone on the road who most probably will never see you ever again.
aeroblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #18
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
i keep a first aid kit in my pack, but i might need to upgrade it to a trauma kit.

or supplement it with tourniquets, a splint making material, and clotting agents.
Without seeing the scene photographs and autopsy report of findings it's hard to know if a tourniquet may have even been useful.

A small trauma pack with quikclot and an added tourniquet is a good idea.

My condolences.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #19
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
That is the law of absolute logic. Nothing really wrong his logic in this case. Much like a bullet proof vest will not stop a bullet to the head.
I know. But if you know that you can significantly decrease your chances of death, why not do it?

That's what I was getting at. If a leading cause of motorcycle deaths are from traumatic brain injuries and helmets reduce the likelihood of crash fatality by 37 percent. I can't possibly understand why some people decide not to wear helmets.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #20
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Unhappy

Analyzing the data provided by the news and the specific turn, it seems to be the typical over-estimation of speed of witnesses biased against motorcycles.

The posted speed limit for that two-lane country road is 50 mph and the recommended speed for that curve is 35 mph.

Using Google Earth, I have estimated the radius of the turn where the accident happened to be around 440 feet.

In order to reach a lean angle of 45 degrees and start dragging hard parts and low-siding there, the bike had to have been travelling above 81 mph.

Vmax (in mph) = Square root [ 14.9 * turn radius (in feet)]

I don't think that anybody with some street-riding experience would enter that curve at more than 80 mph.
Again, I want to believe that the reason of this fatal accident was a mechanical problem.

"A Florida Highway Patrol homicide investigator confirmed that Trainham “failed to negotiate the curve, a sharp curve,” and slammed into the truck, triggering his ejection. He was not wearing a helmet, but he did not die of a head injury. “He severed his left leg, I believe, below the knee cap,” the investigator said, causing his death."

Being higher than the trucks' hood, his head may not have impacted at all with the truck.
Tires seem to have been in good shape also.

Note the huge dent in the gas tank left by his left knee.
The impact was so strong that the swingarm got loose form the pivot (probably against the front wheel of the truck).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flagler accident 1.JPG (78.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Flagler accident 2.JPG (164.8 KB, 12 views)

Old April 4th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #21
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Analyzing the data provided by the news and the specific turn, it seems to be the typical over-estimation of speed of witnesses biased against motorcycles.

The posted speed limit for that two-lane country road is 50 mph and the recommended speed for that curve is 35 mph.

Using Google Earth, I have estimated the radius of the turn where the accident happened to be around 440 feet.

In order to reach a lean angle of 45 degrees and start dragging hard parts and low-siding there, the bike had to have been travelling above 81 mph.

Vmax (in mph) = Square root [ 14.9 * turn radius (in feet)]

I don't think that anybody with some street-riding experience would enter that curve at more than 80 mph.
Again, I want to believe that the reason of this fatal accident was a mechanical problem.
What makes you rule out that he just ran wide? He could've been going faster than the speed limit and still under your estimated 81 mph to drag hard parts. IDK why, just seems more probable to me that this was rider error and not his bike suddenly crapping out.

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #22
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
What makes you rule out that he just ran wide?...........
I just don't know what running wide means, since it has never happened to me.

Reading the comments under the news, I could see that many local road cagers label that specific curve as dangerous.

Some motorcyclists talk about some surface's ripples that affect motorcycles.

Others talk about bikers "flying out that curve" at 60~70 mph.

The victim had moved down to Florida in January and some comments remark how tourists are easily caught by surprise by that turn.

Another motorcyclist had died at the same point.

You are correct, I cannot know what really happened.
I can however, compare this to many other news, in which witnesses are quick to blame the excessive speed of the riders in a crash, even police reports frequently include some opinion from the officer describing the accident that is not based on any calculation.

Anybody can enter that curve at 100 mph and then crash, but it seems not logical to me that any rider does it, in a clear afternoon, at any speed that could actually make a street bike loose control..............Only assumptions, I know, but better than just swallowing biased news.

Old April 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #23
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Helmets aren't made to save your life, they're made to save your head.
Sorry for your loss but stopped reading the thread right there......
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #24
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Ok...

Old April 6th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #25
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Don't hate on @Goom just because of his poor choice of words... what he REALLY meant to say was "A helmet ALONE will not save your life"... I suggest he changes his earlier post to reflect that too. Lazy gurk... Stupid goom... lol

Old April 7th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #26
Goom
ninjette.org guru

I thought I was fairly clear, but I'll try again. A helmet keeps your head from being splattered on the pavement. It doesn't keep it attached to your body, or save you from your torso being smashed under a semi, or having your arms ripped off. Likewise, a seat belt keeps you from being thrown out of a car, but it serves no purpose in saving you from a vehicle that is on fire, or saving you from being crushed inside a mangled vehicle. And a kevlar vest will stop a bullet to your chest, but not one to your head.

My point is that every piece of safety equipment was designed to reduce injuries in specific situations, but nothing makes us invincible.

Last futzed with by Goom; April 7th, 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: i spel gud

Old April 7th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #27
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Stupid gurk... Lazy goom... lol
FTFY
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #28
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
FTFY
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #29
aeroblade
Doh!

@Goom : Yes, you do make a valid point, but you should know that head injuries contribute to a majority of motorcycle fatalities the rider is often thrown head first from the bike. Hence the debate.

@Gurk : Where did you get that "thumbnail" from?

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #30
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroblade View Post
@Goom : Yes, you do make a valid point, but you should know that head injuries contribute to a majority of motorcycle fatalities the rider is often thrown head first from the bike. Hence the debate.

@Gurk : Where did you get that "thumbnail" from?
What is being debated?

Old April 8th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #31
aeroblade
Doh!

That em there's just one of em fancy wurds!

Old April 29th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #32
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:

As far as his speed is concerned, I wouldn't be one to cast the first stone. I can't say I've taken every curve at the speed limit.
I guess I'm a little late to the party, but you're 100% right about the helmet.

Helmets are designed to protect your head at impact speeds less than 15mph. This is the design speed and it represents the approximate speed that your head will be going if you simply fall off your bike while its sitting still and impact the pavement. This is one of those lesser known facts about helmets. There are a LOT of riders out there that have been deluded into thinking that they wont be killed if they wear a helmet.

So if you crash head first into anything with or without a helmet at 30 mph, your brain will be salsa. But fortunately, in many cases, the victim doesn't hit head first such as a lowside. And that's why I always wear a helmet even though they get more credit than they deserve.

While it does appear that the rider was at fault in this accident, there were numerous witnesses and passer-bys that just sat there and watched while the blood gushed from his severed leg. Not one of them decided to apply a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. I'm not sure how those people can live with themselves knowing that their inacton helped this kid to die.

Old April 29th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #33
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
I guess I'm a little late to the party, but you're 100% right about the helmet.

Helmets are designed to protect your head at impact speeds less than 15mph. This is the design speed and it represents the approximate speed that your head will be going if you simply fall off your bike while its sitting still and impact the pavement. This is one of those lesser known facts about helmets. There are a LOT of riders out there that have been deluded into thinking that they wont be killed if they wear a helmet.

So if you crash head first into anything with or without a helmet at 30 mph, your brain will be salsa. But fortunately, in many cases, the victim doesn't hit head first such as a lowside. And that's why I always wear a helmet even though they get more credit than they deserve.

While it does appear that the rider was at fault in this accident, there were numerous witnesses and passer-bys that just sat there and watched while the blood gushed from his severed leg. Not one of them decided to apply a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. I'm not sure how those people can live with themselves knowing that their inacton helped this kid to die.
Do you disagree with the CDC's estimates?

wearing helmets. Helmets are estimated to prevent 37 percent of crash deaths among motorcycle riders and 41 percent of crash deaths for motorcycle passengers.

Old April 29th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #34
n4mwd

Its more like 30%. But the point is, in 70% of fatalities, the helmet was ineffective at saving the rider's life. But again, that's not an argument against helmets, its just calling a spade a spade.

As a side note, I looked at the crash area on google street view and I don't think it was speed related. The turn simply isn't that sharp. Even a Harley should have been able to make that turn at 70mph. I'm thinking the cager girl in the truck guessed correctly when she said 50 mph. My guess is that he was distracted somehow and the turn came up on him suddenly. From the descriptions, it sounds like he was veering before he even got to the curve.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:32 PM   #35
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Are you guys kidding me.

How do you know he did not catch a bee to the forehead causing the accident ?

If you are not wearing proper gear you are one stupid mofo.

No reason besides speed or something distracting that boy to cause him to go wide into that lane.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:00 AM   #36
n4mwd

The bee theory is just as good as any other. But a big juicy bug splatting across the visor would have accomplished the same thing. It could also be road debris like gravel falling off a truck. No way to know for sure.

I agree that he should have been wearing a helmet, but in this case, it would not have made any difference. His head was not seriously injured.

What is known for sure is that the passerbys just watched while he bled out and never applied a tourniquet. Its highly probable that doing that would have saved his life.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:07 PM   #37
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Sad news.

Ride safe everyone. Most of the motorcycle deaths I hear about were completely avoidable. I hope that hearing stories like this doesn't put people off riding. Wear your gear, concentrate while riding, learn how to control your bike and learn safe riding practices. Do these things and it's very unlikely you'll become a tragic news headline.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:49 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Helmets aren't made to save your life, they're made to save your head.
you can survive the loss of a leg. you cannot survive the loss of your head. so in that regard, helmets are designed to save your life by protecting you against head injuries. obviously a helmet doesn't protect your legs, that is why you wear leg protections.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:51 PM   #39
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
The bee theory is just as good as any other. But a big juicy bug splatting across the visor would have accomplished the same thing.
you can open a visor when it gets soiled. you can't open your face when your face gets soiled.

Quote:
What is known for sure is that the passerbys just watched while he bled out and never applied a tourniquet. Its highly probable that doing that would have saved his life.
i agree everybody should know CPR and how to apply a tourniquet.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:27 PM   #40
mike12
ninjette.org member

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250R SE

i read the article and the part that gets me is the lady not leaving her 3 y/o alone long enough to help him. I saw the cause of death to be determined from blood loss from his severed leg which means his femoral artery was wide open and can cause a person to die in less than 30 seconds especially at his heart rate being up. If someone with some sense had ran to him immediately and used a belt or something to tourniquet his leg, maybe he could have pulled through. IDK that just really bothers me as a Navy Hospital Corpsman. I'm sorry for the loss, i know the face of death and you never get use to it.
mike12 is offline   Reply With Quote