ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 26th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Name: Ralf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Question Throttle Response Dies Around 7-10k rpm + a few noob questions

Hey everyone,

I've been stalking you guys ever since I'd been seriously considering a Ninja and finally got a 2009 with 14,000 km on it a few months back. I had. A lot of questions that I found the answers to on the forums so a big thanks to you all.

I have come across some issues that I couldn't find much info on so hopefully someone can enlighten me:
1. I mostly drive m bike like a manual car and barely push the rpms until I talked to a salesman at a local motorcycle shop who said that Ninjas can take a beating. So a few days back, I pushed it past 7k rpm. And I noticed that every time I take her past 7k rpm, from ~7-10, the throttle response dies a bit but past 10, it runs fine. It's like that 7-10 window is tranformation time. Any ideas what it could be? The bike runs great otherwise.

2. Since I bought the bike, I haven't really taken it to a shop to get a full inspection. I did get a mechanic friend to check it out. I feel it's time to get a new tire so I might as well get a proper inspection, just for my peace of mind. I'm wary of dealerships and mechanics upselling -- so does anyone have recommendations where I can get a new tire and some honest service for my bike around the Greater Toronto Area?

I'd appreciate any info and tips!

Thanks guys and gals
Ninja Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
If that rear tire has 14K on it it most likely done and date wise your front tire is probably quite hard if it's original so changing both would probably be a good idea. I've never had your exact problem but I know a completely stock bike(mine is not) has a bit of a dead spot in that area if I correctly recall what others have told me.

Off the top of my head you could try a carb cleaning treatment with seafoam as well as cleaning your air filter. It's nice to get those two things out of the way and know they aren't contributing to your problems.

List your bikes current performance mods if any and is it Fuel Injected or not so others may chime in with more accurate suggestions.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Oh and Welcome to the site

Old June 26th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Thanks guys,

The previous owner put a FMF exhaust and made some cosmetic changes. I left the exhaust on, 'cause... well, it sounds badass haha. The bike isn't fuel injected.

I don't know much about the bike's mechanics and wouldn't want to get my hands into something I don't fully understand. I figured it most likely had something to do with the carb -- I'll definitely look into the service manual.

I figured since I'll be going in for tires anyway, I could ask the shop to take a look at the bike in case.

Old June 26th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/thread moved to new-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Star View Post
Thanks guys,

The previous owner put a FMF exhaust and made some cosmetic changes. I left the exhaust on, 'cause... well, it sounds badass haha. The bike isn't fuel injected.

I don't know much about the bike's mechanics and wouldn't want to get my hands into something I don't fully understand. I figured it most likely had something to do with the carb -- I'll definitely look into the service manual.

I figured since I'll be going in for tires anyway, I could ask the shop to take a look at the bike in case.
last guy that took his bike in for service got it back with his vacuum hoses routed wrong and his petcock set to prime. Just be wary who you trust

Last futzed with by rojoracing53; June 27th, 2013 at 07:14 AM.

Old June 27th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Wary:

Weary:

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #9
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Bee warry of misss spelting words hear because Alex just mite corect you

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 27th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
..... I mostly drive my bike like a manual car and barely push the rpms
Well right der is yer problum. Crank on da throtul man! Run dem rpms up past 9k in 5th gear and din shif!

Some of dem thar Ninjas have a lil flat spot at 'bout 7k and a real rich one at 9k.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Well right der is yer problum. Crank on da throtul man! Run dem rpms up past 9k in 5th gear and din shif!

Some of dem thar Ninjas have a lil flat spot at 'bout 7k and a real rich one at 9k.

Hahaha

kk so wut ur trynna tel me iz that i can flog the ninja and get dat need 4 speed?

I was actually overtaking a car when I downshifted to fifth, gave it some gas and felt the bike struggle before it came back to life again past ~9k rpm. The experience straightened me up a bit and made me even more cautious.

[noob]I read around some more and the most likely cause may be the carb or the jetting... either too lean/rich. I'll have to look those terms up to understand better. But for now, if the carb cleaning doesn't work, would this be a case of too rich or too lean? [/noob]

By the way, thanks for moving the thread to the right forum; my apologies for posting in the wrong place.

Old June 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #12
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Hahaha

kk so wut ur trynna tel me iz that i can flog the ninja and get dat need 4 speed?

I was actually overtaking a car when I downshifted to fifth, gave it some gas and felt the bike struggle before it came back to life again past ~9k rpm. The experience straightened me up a bit and made me even more cautious.

[noob]I read around some more and the most likely cause may be the carb or the jetting... either too lean/rich. I'll have to look those terms up to understand better. But for now, if the carb cleaning doesn't work, would this be a case of too rich or too lean? [/noob]
Yes! You can flog it when need be. it's not uncommon to have to shift down to 5th to grab a little extra umph. I would say that if your carbs really needed cleaning it would show up well be for 9k. Maybe add some Star Tron Fuel Treatment to the fuel tank do do a little maintenance cleaning to the carbs and also check your air filter to make sure it is clean. Kawasaki recommends replacement of the stock filter @ 2 years.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote