ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #1
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

I did not know...

that the MSF course was free through the army if you're a service member.
Also that I couldn't ride on post without one.

So, I signed up for the 16th and 17th!
I basically avoided taking one because I didn't want to spend $250 for the last 3 years.

And hopefully I'll go to that North GA mountain run with some of you on the 18th.

That is all.

Old April 6th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #2
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Whooohooooo... Free is my favorite word!
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #3
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

That is good to know!

Of course the class was the first thing I took when I was interested in riding

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4
azia
ninjette.org member

Name: Lindsay

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Nice! That is pretty sweet deal!

I heard that you need to wear reflectivev vests while on base? I know one girl in Japan and she said even when off base, they are supposed to wear their vests when riding...

Sounds annoying but actually a pretty good idea.
azia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #5
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

In MD you have to wear the vest on base. Don't have to outside of it. I was told this by my S/Os father... I don't have access to test this out but I believe him

Old April 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #6
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

The enforcing of some of the details comes down to who's interpreting the regulations. The regs say "high visibility", so some base commanders choose to enforce the vests, rather than deciding if this jacket's OK and that one isn't.

I got to attend the Advanced MSF for free because I work on a base. I'm a contractor, but the interpretation here, at that time, was that all riders on base should have safety training. So, they allowed contractors to take their class if space was available. The subject seems to have fallen off the radar here, I haven't heard about MSF for base personnel for a while.

For service members the regs usually over-rule the local laws. For example, per regs, it's never OK to ride without a helmet, regardless of the local laws and whether or not you're on base. That's because, as a service member, they have made an investment in your training and capabilities, and you're not allowed to risk that investment unnecessarily. I know of a situation where a young officer was forbidden to participate in track days because of the perceived additional risk. I know a lot of folks here who would say that track days are safer than normal street conditions!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #7
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

THe MSF is free to PA residents also.

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #8
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
The enforcing of some of the details comes down to who's interpreting the regulations. The regs say "high visibility", so some base commanders choose to enforce the vests, rather than deciding if this jacket's OK and that one isn't.

I got to attend the Advanced MSF for free because I work on a base. I'm a contractor, but the interpretation here, at that time, was that all riders on base should have safety training. So, they allowed contractors to take their class if space was available. The subject seems to have fallen off the radar here, I haven't heard about MSF for base personnel for a while.

For service members the regs usually over-rule the local laws. For example, per regs, it's never OK to ride without a helmet, regardless of the local laws and whether or not you're on base. That's because, as a service member, they have made an investment in your training and capabilities, and you're not allowed to risk that investment unnecessarily. I know of a situation where a young officer was forbidden to participate in track days because of the perceived additional risk. I know a lot of folks here who would say that track days are safer than normal street conditions!

Old April 7th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #9
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

like ken, i too work at a govt. facility (pmrf barking sands) a navy base. to ride on base the motorcycle safety course is mandatory. i believe there are 3 that the military is currently implementing.

basic rider - for permit holders only. not offered here

advanced rider - for licensed riders, only one offered at pmrf

sportbike rider - this one is for sport bike riders, and will be mandatory for us here when they have worked out the details of where they are going to hold this particular course. i cant recall how they determined 'sport' class, but i believe it noted a forward upper body riding position with a rear-set footpeg alignment.

the current local command policy at pmrf states that someone may ride with a brightly colored, long sleeve shirt. (which is nuts to me as it will offer no protection from road rash should the occasion arise, but satisfies the requirement) a high-vis, two-toned riding jacket will also be accepted. i use a vest that resembles one used by road crews directing traffic that i obtained when i used to marshal aircraft. other riders using low-vis, dark or black riding jackets have been able to gain access using a belt of high-vis/refletive tape type deals, usually slung over one shoulder or strapped to yer upper body.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #10
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Every government facility has required a safety course for years. In the last few years since the MSF has now become a standard nation wide to help individual states with their own safety standards, the federal government has used that as their guideline. In the past you used to have to take the course offered by the military instillation you were on.

However now, if you have the MSF card stating you have completed the basic course you are accepted at any military post. The Military standard is the same anywhere you go, it's just a matter of how each place enforces it. That standard being that you meet the requirements of an approved safety course (the MSF basic course now), reflective belt or vest, and helmet are to be worn on all posts. Those standards were in place back when I was in the Army from 99-03 and still hold true today now that I work at an Army Depot.

Just within the last few months the military has started a new standard because of record high fatal accidents. That new standard being the sport bike course as komohana had stated. They define it the same way the industry defines them. Any one in the military riding a sport bike as defined by the motorcycle industry is now being required to take a new course to help them better control the speed, power, and maneuvering of a sport bike. This was started due to most of the fatal accidents happening on sport bikes between all branches.

Just so you know, you are required to take the basic level as a minimum even if you have your license. When I took the course last year there were several people in the class that had their license and had been riding for years but now working at the depot needed the class in order to ride on post. Even they learned from the class by it helping to break some of their bad habits that they didn't even know they had.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #11
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Wow, sweet deal. Hope you have fun on the course and let your brain be like a sponge, absorb everything in!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #12
komohana

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
...Just so you know, you are required to take the basic level as a minimum even if you have your license...
when i initially read the regs, i thought this as well, and actually thought the basic course was the one i was signing up for. but the base safety officer who is in charge of the course here showed me this cheat-sheet that listed like 'qualifications' required for each class, and permit holder was listed for the basic, and learning they offered only the advanced (at that time, and what is required here anyway), i had reasoned that basic is either not required as i had thought, or he is interpreting the regs differently.

regardless, am glad i took the course (kkim and i did same day). am very pleased that new civilian riders that work in my section...newbies riding 600gxxrs etc. are taking this thing and learning alot.

is all good~

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #13
sombo

Well they must either be interpreting it differently or have different levels of basic. The requirement as a minimum is the MSF endorsement which you get from both the basic and the advanced. Neither one says which course you took, just that you are now endorsed by the MSF as a safe rider. If you look at the MSF site and look at THEIR basic course, it says one requirement is you already have your permit. Here in PA, no matter where you take the MSF you need your permit before the course, and upon completion of the course you get your permit stamped as your license and they send the info the PennDot so they can add the 'M' to your license. Also here in PA the MSF course is free to all PA state drivers, any outsiders have to pay something like $300.

Old April 7th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #14
komohana

WOW! thats expensive! (worth it, but expensive!)

Old April 7th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #15
sombo

Also here's the regs for both Army and Navy in case anyone wants to review them.

ARMY

NAVY

For the Navy one I had to go to an outside source since I don't have an account and pw to be allowed to look at the regs off of the Naval Safety Center site. The Army one is straight off of the Army regs. In both they just state an 'approved safety course'. The Army better defines it as: The approved Army Motor Cycle Safety Course will consist of classroom instruction, hands-on training, and successful completions of a hands-on written evaluation, (AR 385-55, paragraph 3-2a(2)).

The Navy on the other hand do not clearly define in the regs that I found what the minimum requirements for their required safety course need. However they do leave alot of the fine points of the regs up to the base commanders discretion. So that might be part of why you needed to take the advanced instead of basic.

I do know that as per DOD as a minimum nation wide they require the MSF endorsement regardless of the level of MSF course you take. Show your MSF card at any station and you're SUPPOSED to be legal as long as you follow the helmet and reflection parts as well.

Old April 7th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #16
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Wow, thanks for all the info Mike.
Going back to the reserves few months ago and having my bike long before that, I didn't know any of this.

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #17
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Another thing I did not know if you are a service member.
10% off cycle gear.
they are doing a special right now where they will take off additional 10% off the sale price.
Plus, shipping over $100 is FREE.

So, I looked up A*star Octane One piece suit and it comes to $449.99 Free Shipping!
Wish I wasn't broke...

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #18
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesido View Post
Another thing I did not know if you are a service member.
10% off cycle gear.
they are doing a special right now where they will take off additional 10% off the sale price.
Plus, shipping over $100 is FREE.

So, I looked up A*star Octane One piece suit and it comes to $449.99 Free Shipping!
Wish I wasn't broke...
Look mang, http://www.bikebandit.com/product/5471?WT.mc_id=1275414.. same suit, a little cheaper.

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #19
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post

regardless, am glad i took the course (kkim and i did same day).
komo, don't forget... make sure when you renew your insurance for the bike you let them know you took the course. I got a 20% reduction in my policy because of it. Lady said it is effective from the day you take the course, but could only retroactively credit me for 30 days on my current policy. I told her never mind, just be sure to get me the new rate on my renewal next month and she did.

hope the sport bike course pops up soon.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #20
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceezy View Post
Look mang, http://www.bikebandit.com/product/5471?WT.mc_id=1275414.. same suit, a little cheaper.
how much is it with shipping?

ok, then try this number.
Dainese Zen jacket for $404.10 shipped.

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #21
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
how much is it with shipping?

ok, then try this number.
Dainese Zen jacket for $404.10 shipped.
LOL! I just happened to see the octane suit in my email today on closeout... I don't know about the shipping. Dainese... shooo wheee, I don't think I can find good deals on those. They are 'spensive! Can I borrow your 10% discount to get this bad boy:

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #22
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

discount would be $140!!!!! and free shipping.

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #23
miks
I'm lovin' it.

That 1 piece suit looks hot! Even with those little girly wirly swirly things.

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #24
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
Even with those little girly wirly swirly things.
on girls, they're called... ah, never mind.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #25
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
That 1 piece suit looks hot! Even with those little girly wirly swirly things.
Wouldn't Chris be gawwwwgeous in it?

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #26
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

hahahha.
why yes, so fabulous darlin'

seriously though, if i ran across a chick in that i'd drool. lol!

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #27
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Thank god you stopped there Kelly.

Would be a struggle to put the suit on Chris, might have to lubricate him in some bacon fat, then he'll slide right in!

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #28
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

mmm....bacon...

Old April 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #29
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
komo, don't forget... make sure when you renew your insurance for the bike you let them know you took the course. I got a 20% reduction in my policy because of it. Lady said it is effective from the day you take the course, but could only retroactively credit me for 30 days on my current policy. I told her never mind, just be sure to get me the new rate on my renewal next month and she did.
...oh yeah no!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
hope the sport bike course pops up soon.
last i heard, they were talking to the air guard unit to see iffn they could hold the course in their compound...will letcha know wassup

Old April 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #30
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Also here's the regs for both Army and Navy in case anyone wants to review them.

ARMY

NAVY
sombo...thanx for the links and clarifications you've provided.

Old April 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #31
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Still waiting on the AF to start the Sport bike course as well. I signed up for my ERC today (and was told that I was one of the few that actually looked into taking this course. apparently it's not very popular down here) and asked our base motorcycle rep if they knew anything about it. She said as far as she knows the AF has NOT done anything with this class to make it open to us. Which is crap because I know 3 hours away Ft Hood (Army) is in the works of making it mando for all soldiers to get the BRC, ERC, and the Sport bike course (not all at one time of course). I may have to see what they tell my husband and maybe I could sneak into one of their classes down there.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #32
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreezMunky View Post
Still waiting on the AF to start...
..I may have to see what they tell my husband and maybe I could sneak into one of their classes down there.
is worth a try!

Old April 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #33
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

I've got my MSF Card!
It was fun filled two days.
I really wish I had taken this course before I bought the bike.

I'm going to sign up for Experienced Rider's Course and Sportbike Course in the next couple of months.

Oh, they had bunch of Kawi Eliminators and 1 pregen 250! hahaha.
I rode the Eliminator just to try it out.

Old April 17th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #34
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Good to hear you went thru the msf on base! It's back logged for-ever on our base... I went and watched them & the off base course. < then decided to get Sherri the off base one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
Yeah, our base went with:
Long as you have a Red, Yellow, White or Lime Green jacket < your good to go. Otherwise you need a vest. And if you have a back pack on, you need that reflective belt around it.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #35
komohana

Quote:
I've got my MSF Card!
well done chris!

Old April 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #36
rceezy
Lean Me

Quote:
I've got my MSF Card!
It was fun filled two days.
I really wish I had taken this course before I bought the bike.

I'm going to sign up for Experienced Rider's Course and Sportbike Course in the next couple of months.

Oh, they had bunch of Kawi Eliminators and 1 pregen 250! hahaha.
I rode the Eliminator just to try it out.
Congrats!! Let me know how the ERC goes! I think you take your own bike to that one, at least that's how they have it down here in IN.

Old April 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #37
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

yea I think so too for ERC.
"Students must provide their own motorcycle for this training along with current license, insurance, and registration."

oh, just called my insurance company. 10% discount! wheeee!

Old April 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #38
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I just retired from the Army and where I am, Schofield Barracks/Wheeler AAF, the free course is not offered at the time for reasons I don't remember. I took the course at a local community college, $250, but it was worth it. To ride on post here, you have to have CDR approval, MSF course, and a bike eval on your bike, then you get a card stating that you have been tested on whatever bike you ride. If you have more than one or get a another one, you have to be tested on each. The course is the same as the final road test at MSF. In fact, the examiner on the base eval was my instructor at MSF, he works at the Safety office on post.

I wear the hi-vis vest over my jacket, the vest has a pocket for my ID card on the front, so I don't have to take out my wallet ever time that go on base, and since I work there, I am going in every morning.

nb