ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Trikie
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): None yet

MSF complete but a question

I have completed my MSF, in fact, I completed it in 2012. My question is this... I had all the intentions on purchasing a bike after I completed my course. Life happened and I couldn't buy a bike. Here it is day 3 2014 and I still haven't purchased a bike. Should I retake the course to relearn the fundamentals and basic controls? The only time I have ridden was for the course, so no experience at all. I want to get a bike by May this year, but am not sure if I need/should retake the BRC. Sorry for the lengthy and probably repetitive post but thanks for any help!
Trikie is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:39 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
No worries Nick. Welcome!

Do this, have a seat on a bike, and review the controls. Know what they are?

Can you answer the following?
Remember what T-CLOCK is?
How bout FINEC?
How many controls are used during the emergency brake drill?
How important is keeping your head up?
How many times did you hear "BIG HEAD TURN!"? LOL!
Remember what ouside, inside, outside is?
What other skill drills do you remember?

Finally, do you feel you need to take it again? Would it make you feel better?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:44 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

No cheating...

Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikie View Post
...........Should I retake the course to relearn the fundamentals and basic controls? The only time I have ridden was for the course, so no experience at all..........
Welcome to our site, Nick !!!

What we learn at the MSF basic course in two days is barely the minimum necessary to survive normal street traffic.

The right response to your question depends on many variables:
-How much traffic are you going to endure from riding day #1.
-How good your memory is.
-How much you can expend in a repeated version of the course (consider also buying protecting gear, insurance and registration).
-How good of a traffic-free, safe area do you have for several hours of practice during the first weeks of riding.
-How many rider friends willing to help you out you have.
-How "natural" for motorcycling you are.

The MSF website offers all the theoretical information that they cover in the basic course.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Trikie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
No cheating...

I had to look lol. Probably a strong sign that I need to read up or take the course again.

Thanks for your reply

Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #6
Trikie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome to our site, Nick !!!

What we learn at the MSF basic course in two days is barely the minimum necessary to survive normal street traffic.

The right response to your question depends on many variables:
-How much traffic are you going to endure from riding day #1.
-How good your memory is.
-How much you can expend in a repeated version of the course (consider also buying protecting gear, insurance and registration).
-How good of a traffic-free, safe area do you have for several hours of practice during the first weeks of riding.
-How many rider friends willing to help you out you have.
-How "natural" for motorcycling you are.

The MSF website offers all the theoretical information that they cover in the basic course.
1.) I live on a military installation so basically no traffic except peak hours during the week.
2.) memory is ok, lol I still have the BRC handbook which if memory serves me right I can find basic info in there.
3.) The course is no issue cost wise.
4.) The base I live on has a MSF pad, it's actually where I did my course. Painted and unrestricted use. I could be there for hours running the course if needed.
5.) Doubt any buddies would take the time to assist. Big headed, don't start on a weak 250 get a 1000 idiots.
6.) only thing that worries me is learning to be more aware of my surroundings and anticipating what the "other" guy is gonna do. I have started making myself do it as I drive my car but I know it is completely different on a bike. Especially with it being less surface area to catch a glimpse.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:57 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
1.) I live on a military installation............
6.) only thing that worries me is learning to be more aware of my surroundings and anticipating what the "other" guy is gonna do. I have started making myself do it as I drive my car but I know it is completely different on a bike. Especially with it being less surface area to catch a glimpse.
You are in good hands then.

This motorcycling learning curve has three phases (just my opinion = ):

1) Learn control over the machine + balance + non-natural attitudes and reactions.
This one takes much time, and discipline and patience. If you allow yourself to get frustrated, you stop growing, as well as if you feel too comfortable. When you can flick the bike side to side with authority and stop in a dime, you are ready. The idea is to make the bike an extension of your body. There is a great book for this phase: "Total Control".

2) Learn to deal with traffic as a biker.
In this phase, you cannot be thinking about what control to use, you must do what is needed when is needed with no hesitation or mental processing (hence, the importance of becoming proficient in phase #1 before hitting the asphalt jungle). It is hard to read traffic and to be 100% aware of your surroundings, but no impossible. There is a great book for this phase: "Proficient Motorcycling". Our chances to die in an accident are 35 higher than when driving a car, reason for which we cannot afford errors. To survive for years, you must be mentally sharp and focused at all times: no distractions, no day-dreaming, no worries.

3) Learn to refrain your over-confidence and polish your skills. There is a great book for this phase: "A twist of the wrist (I and II)".

The less surface area to catch a glimpse is not our main problem: being invisible for drivers and riding distracted or over-confidently are real killers.

Aren't there military programs targeted for riders?

Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:35 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/thread moved to Riding Skills area

I took the BRC with my wife (a million years ago). I bought a bike in between the first weekend and second weekend of the course, so I was riding immediately and could begin to build on the skills I had just learned. My wife didn't end up getting a motorcycle of her own for a year after that course, and it took her much, much longer to get comfortable on a bike again based on that delay. In retrospect, she wishes that she had retaken the BRC and then gotten right on that bike at that point.

No wrong answer here, and either could work depending on the individual, but it probably wouldn't be wasted time if you were able to get into a course nearer to hopping on your own motorcycle.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'd say do it again.

You won't learn anything new but you will get some seat time that will make you more comfortable and a lot less likely to have an "oops" with your nice new bike.

A lot of newbies drop their bike soon after purchase simply through lack of familiarity.

Also, the second time around you can focus on different things than you did the first. First time, you're trying to take it all in and can forget things. Second time, you can pay more attention to nailing that nasty figure-8 box, doing the cone slalom perfectly, etc.

Yeah, this is all very basic, remedial stuff... but it'll take the edge off of those first few nervous trips out on the road.

I took a few years off of riding before buying my Ninjette. Even though I'd had a lot of experience and miles under my belt, it had been awhile. So I took the BRC again... glad I did.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #10
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The MSF is only good for 6 months. After that it expires and all memory banks are deleted.

Old January 4th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
You can take it for free, so I ya want go practice on the MSF pad, if ya feel you may need to retake it it won't cost you anything. Either way I doubt it would hurt. You getin a 300?
Sorry for the thumb down, I tend to poke at buttons to fast
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
1.) I live on a military installation so basically no traffic except peak hours during the week.
2.) memory is ok, lol I still have the BRC handbook which if memory serves me right I can find basic info in there.
3.) The course is no issue cost wise.
4.) The base I live on has a MSF pad, it's actually where I did my course. Painted and unrestricted use. I could be there for hours running the course if needed.
5.) Doubt any buddies would take the time to assist. Big headed, don't start on a weak 250 get a 1000 idiots.

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #12
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
You can take it for free, so I ya want go practice on the MSF pad, if ya feel you may need to retake it it won't cost you anything. Either way I doubt it would hurt. You getin a 300?
Sorry for the thumb down, I tend to poke at buttons to fast
Sent from my iPhone
Not free in all areas, I knew it was free in PA but in NY the MSF coarse costs you around $250+.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Not free in all areas, I knew it was free in PA but in NY the MSF coarse costs you around $250+.
When did military posts start charging???

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #14
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
When did military posts start charging???
MSF handled by Star

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #15
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
MSF handled by Star
I'm glad military posts still gave them away to anyone that belonged inside the fence when I got mine.
What's all this star buisness mister?
Might we be talking bout two different subjects you on fort drum, fort Hammond, or one of those other military posts in new yorks?

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #16
notsofast
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Quote:
I'm glad military posts still gave them away to anyone that belonged inside the fence when I got mine.
Might we be talking bout two different subjects you on fort drum, fort Hammond, or one of those other military posts in new yorks?
When I took mine in CA, all the marines said they had to tell someone important they were taking it and they had to front the cash but they would be reimbursed upon completion.

It might have been because they were taking it off base though.
notsofast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

When I took it, there was an older gentleman (late 70's I would guess) that paid for his course for next year after passing the test on the last day. The instructor said he had been taking the course every Apr. for the past 10yrs.

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #18
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
lol you on wrong foot, I am a civilian not military.

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.........there was an older gentleman (late 70's I would guess) that paid for his course for next year after passing the test on the last day..........

Old January 4th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #20
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
If you are on the base and able to get the course for free, I'd say run through Chris' checklist, then go down through the route and walk it to see how much you remember. Then sign up again. Can't hurt and costs you nothing.

Took me awhile to get into the class itself since i am low man on priority but i was able to ride my bike through it and relearned many things that i had forgotten.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

@Motofool, the old chap out rode us all on the worst bike on the field (of course he picked last too). If he doesn't make it next Apr., I doubt it was because of his riding.

Old January 4th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #22
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
lol you on wrong foot, I am a civilian not military.
Did ya not read where trickie lives on a military base?
Haha we were talkin bout two different subjects.

Old January 4th, 2014, 10:20 AM   #23
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Did ya not read where trickie lives on a military base?
Haha we were talkin bout two different subjects.
Just stating, I not military so I have no idea of the freebies y'all get.

Old January 4th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #24
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Just stating, I not military so I have no idea of the freebies y'all get.
Haha sir yes sir

Old January 4th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #25
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
I have completed my MSF, in fact, I completed it in 2012. My question is this... I had all the intentions on purchasing a bike after I completed my course. Life happened and I couldn't buy a bike. Here it is day 3 2014 and I still haven't purchased a bike. Should I retake the course to relearn the fundamentals and basic controls? The only time I have ridden was for the course, so no experience at all. I want to get a bike by May this year, but am not sure if I need/should retake the BRC. Sorry for the lengthy and probably repetitive post but thanks for any help!
Welcome!
I don't think there's ever any harm done by brushing up on your training if you're a bit rusty. If it were me, if you know you have a love for bikes and are going to get one anyway based on your last MSF experience, maybe you should consider going ahead and buying the bike, find an empty parking lot, and see how comfortable you feel with the basics. If you need some help or feel unsure, I'd suggest taking it again. Be sure you buy good safety gear before you start riding.
Learning can be intimidating but it's such a fun process! Enjoy!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
@Motofool, the old chap out rode us all on the worst bike on the field (of course he picked last too). If he doesn't make it next Apr., I doubt it was because of his riding.
Hahaha !!!

Kudos to all old riders !!!

Re-taking the course made him a better rider, ..... paying in advance made him a serious optimist.

"The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much; if he is an optimist after it, he knows too little." - Mark Twain

Old January 4th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #27
Trikie
ninjette.org member

Thanks all for the replies! Considering it is mandatory for military to take the brc it is free. As far as free the second go I cannot say. I would like to get an '07 or older ex250. Not for the fact that they are cheap but they can be modded for fairly cheap. Plus it has more upright riding position which is something I think I will like more than a tuck. Gear is definitely on my list, actually going to buy some before I get a bike. I do have a lot of area where I can practice on base and will more than likely retake the course just for that extra confidence and such. Again thanks everyone for their personal opinions and reasonings behind them.

Old January 4th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #28
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i dont know what branch you are in but my buddy in the marrines says they pay for all of his bike education and regularly have extras. he has gone to like 4 or 5 if i remember right, all paid for by the 'rines.

there are very specific rules for riding on base. even as a civilian they'll give you **** if you aren't up to spec (but they wont turn you away as a civilian visiting a base member) full gear, full hi-viz, bike fully specced and in shape; they're real sticklers. even gave me **** for riding my janky fzr into base. told me not to bring that bike back until its in better shape haha

Old January 4th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Oorah!

Old January 4th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #30
Trikie
ninjette.org member

Haha, they recently did away with hi viz all the time. Now it's only required at night and in inclement weather. Which I know was/is an issue for a lot of my coworkers. I'll have to check and see if I can take the course again through my squadron.

Just stopped by the local dealers to get my looking fix for the time being. Ninja 300 isn't half bad. Although I am definitely going to get used for my first.

Old January 4th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Hold up.... we are missing something here.

Thank you for your service.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 4th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #32
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Hold up.... we are missing something here.

Thank you for your service.
Some of y'all a bit slow, or need y'all readin glasses checked out

Old January 4th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #33
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
@Trikie, not sure if the specifics have changed, but looking at my little flow chart for MSF training, there's a note the class must be retaken every few years. Doesn't sound like they would charge for a second go around.

If that is a question, i'd find the instructor and ask her/him what the deal is.

And yes, as Chris said, THANK YOU!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #34
Trikie
ninjette.org member

Thanks to all for supporting your veterans! I'll have to give them a call! Thanks

Old January 4th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #35
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
@Trickie what squadron you with?

Old January 4th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #36
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I will guess 355th
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #37
Trikie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
@Trickie what squadron you with?
Yea 355 AMXS

Old January 4th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #38
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Yea 355 AMXS
Thanks for the CAS, it's saved my butt a few times

Old January 4th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #39
Trikie
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks for the CAS, it's saved my butt a few times
Note: Not a pilot but just as crucial to getting those birds in the air to help my brothers and sisters in arms.

Probably the best part/feeling about working on this jet! I used to work on F-15's but have obviously moved on. Couldn't believe they wanted to retire this amazing jet. For the folks reading this that don't know, I currently work on the A-10.

And thank you @JohnnyBravo for everything you do.

Old January 4th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #40
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
If there is one plane I love it's the A-10... Nothing like the sound of them on a gun run and watching the show.

Thanks for what you do! I do some mechanics, but usually do recovery work, some strange things happen in the real world.