ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:29 PM   #1
[ThePhysicist]
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

New Bike

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, so I'm not really sure of the layout. I'm from the UK and currently ride a 2009 Ninja 250R. In September I will be buying my next bike before leaving for University so I can start riding it in November (which is when the insurance runs out for my Ninja). I have scoured the internet and it seems like the best bike for me to get (more importantly, the one I want) is the 2003+ Suzuki SV650S. The reason for getting this rather than an I4 is because hardcore supersports are damn expensive, and I don't have the money to buy them AND insure them. To anyone that has experience with the SV650S, could you tell me the pros and cons?
I'm already aware that most people aren't a fan of the suspension on the SV650S, especially the front forks, so could anyone also tell me how it feels to ride against the Ninja 250R?

Thanks.
[ThePhysicist] is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:41 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The only thing I know about them (my neighbor has one) is in the rain the water splashes up on the forward jug and the spark plug can get wet and foul. They are fun other than that.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:56 PM   #3
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

Not that I'd call a 20 min seat time much experience, but here's my thoughts after riding one:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142051
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I have a 2003 SV650s and it is a great bike. The suspension is really soft stock but there are many cheap fixes. I have my suspension sorted quite well and it only cost me $150 usd. I put in progressive springs and heavier weight oil in the forks for $120 and a GSXR 600 shock out back for $40. I did all the labor myself and there are a million sites on the net with directions on how to do these changes. I also just did the GSXR front caliper change which cost $20 for adaptors and $30 for calipers. The bike came with a Yosh pipe and a K&N airfilter plus a PCIII so my bike is pretty much modified and I love it. I also have a Ducati 999 and I bought the SV because the Ducati is way too much power for around town but the sv is a joy to ride. Compared to the Ninja 250 there is little the same. The sv does handel very well like the ninja but the power of the sv starts at 3500 and you can shift at 5000-6000 and still stay ahead of traffic. The ninja requires a lot of rpm to move fast but the torque of the sv makes it easy to ride and you can pull a higher gear out of a corner than with the ninja. The engine is the sweetest part of the sv it is quite smooth and pulls well from down low so you don't have to rev it much unless you are really trying to get max acceleration. The torque of the motor allows you to use less throttle (wide open not necessary) to ride and have fun and I can wheelie mine in first and second without the clutch. You simply run up to 6-7000 rpm cut the throttle then wide open and the front comes up nice and smooth! I would recommend this to you as a reliable commuter bike since I have 24,000 miles on mine and have not had any problems and she starts every time and I run her hard all day and then repeat the next day. The sv also gets decent fuel mileage and parts are cheap and available. Just be careful the first few times you ride it and use little throttle and you will love this bike. I hope this help you make your decision.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:56 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Connor!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #6
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Have you made a decision yet? Let us know what you end up getting and be sure to post pics
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote