MistahT
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 FZ6R, 2006 Ninja 250, 1977 Suzuki GS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
Here's a higher quality version without foreign subtitles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWNinsmkAw

I've watched both movies and read both books. Personally, I found movie 2 to be the easiest to digest, and then when you've been riding a couple years the books help with your fine tuning. There is a reason people have been talking so highly of this series for years.

And if you learned something, go BUY it. I'll admit I saw Twist II for the first time for free, but now I have the books and DVDs on my shelf. Kind of want to carry the book with me and pass it off to new riders, but let's face it, in the real world, I'd never get my book back.

^^
And you won't understand that reference if you haven't watched Twist II yet......
MistahT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahT View Post
And if you learned something, go BUY it. I'll admit I saw Twist II for the first time for free, but now I have the books and DVDs on my shelf. Kind of want to carry the book with me and pass it off to new riders, but let's face it, in the real world, I'd never get my book back.

^^
And you won't understand that reference if you haven't watched Twist II yet......
lol, indeed

Yes, go buy it. If your serious about cornering, you will be watching it again or at least referring to sections. I have watched it at least 5 times and find something I missed every time.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Slick_Stevo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '13 GSX-R600, '09 Ninja 250, 04 SV 650 (track)

Quote:

+1 for this....give credit where credit is due.

Some of my friends scoffed at me for actually paying this vid and the books. But they way I look at it, if I stand to gain from something, then why shouldn't the originator get some sort of compensation? Maybe one day I'll meet him and I will be able to tell him how much his book/video changed my riding style

I have been watching and reading in our off season (which is coming to and end soon , hopefully).

I also bought Lee Parks' book...Total Control. He will be instructing a class that I am going to attend up here in June. (I actually booked it before I found out that Lee will be there.)
Slick_Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #5
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Watched the movie first and it was very informative.

Then I got a copy of the book and it is awesome. Highly recommend you get the book. Tons of great information that made me look at riding in an entirely different perspective and helped me better understand the technology and science behind it all.

Old March 8th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I love the information in the videos and the books. I just wish it was delivered in a less patronizing way.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

I have the book on order.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Yes please buy the books and the DVD. A lot of work went into the writing of and the filming of the movie, I know because I'm in Twist of the Wrist II

Awesome information, Keith knows his stuff and has a passion for his work as do all of his staff, myself included. I love my job!

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
........I know because I'm in Twist of the Wrist II ........
Where in the movie do you appear, Misti?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #10
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Love the video. Now I need to buy the book.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #11
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I prefer "Riding in the Zone" by Ken Condon

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the most useful information i've received was from fast guys at the track... some of them can look at you and tell you all the things you are messing up. things you would never think about. though a class would be better. or go racing!

Old March 17th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Where in the movie do you appear, Misti?
I play the mom to the two kids I'm in the mini van driving and them I'm coaching them at the track and leading them around a few turns. Small part but fun none the less.

Old March 17th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

It took me a few times watching it to notice that the "mini-van mom" was the track coach to the kids as well.

"About 3 months" and "Just keep readin' it." hahahahahahah One of the best parts of the plot.

Old March 18th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #15
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Quote:
I play the mom to the two kids I'm in the mini van driving and them I'm coaching them at the track and leading them around a few turns. Small part but fun none the less.

That's awesome!

I just watched one of those YT vids over the last week, and ordered a hardcopy of the book too. VERY helpful and a LOT of great information in there.

I went out for my first "spirited ride" with my brother, cousin and Jono yesterday. Out of about 60 miles of riding, I only felt "rushed" or "panicked" twice. Both times I was counting my SR's and correctly blocking them.

Misti, I can personally say that your vid very-likely saved my life this weekend.

Old March 18th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #16
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

when talking to newer rider i refer to the book a lot, it illustrates the "why" behind the techniques very well.

i'll probably buy two or three copies to have around and let people if i see they need help with riding skills.

Old March 18th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #17
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
when talking to newer rider i refer to the book a lot, it illustrates the "why" behind the techniques very well.

i'll probably buy two or three copies to have around and let people if i see they need help with riding skills.
Are you gonna keep them in your tank-bag at all times?

Old March 18th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #18
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:

Thanks, Misti.

Keith Code has made a huge contribution to the modern track motorcycling.

I wonder why he has not extended his teaching to street riding in a dedicated book and/or practical school.

In my opinion, that could have prevented many fatalities and accidents due to lack of proficiency in street riding.

I know there are books teaching the subject, but Mr. Code sees and goes were others cannot.

As I understand, he has been working on a book dedicated to the ergonomics of racing and track riding.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #19
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Are you gonna keep them in your tank-bag at all times?
they are going in my tail bag, lol.

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #20
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Thanks, Misti.

Keith Code has made a huge contribution to the modern track motorcycling.

I wonder why he has not extended his teaching to street riding in a dedicated book and/or practical school.

In my opinion, that could have prevented many fatalities and accidents due to lack of proficiency in street riding.

I know there are books teaching the subject, but Mr. Code sees and goes were others cannot.

As I understand, he has been working on a book dedicated to the ergonomics of racing and track riding.
Despite the fact that CSS is taught on a race track, the majority of Code's students are STREET RIDERS and ALL of the techniques taught are applicable for street riding. Most of our students are regular street guys looking to improve their overall skills and they vastly outnumber the "racers" in the group.

His book Twist of the Wrist II and new video of the same name is full of riding techniques that are both street and track oriented and often gives practical advice about how a technique could be helpful on the street.

As for preventing many fatalities I think Keith Code has already done that many times over. We are constantly receiving letters and thank you notes from former students that have used the techniques they learned at one of the schools to avoid an accident. They often say, "what you taught me that day saved my life."

Code also runs military based schools that teach the same exact skill sets from his regular schools to military riders on their OWN streetbikes in order to improve their street riding techniques.

I think there is an overall misunderstanding that his schools are geared for racers or street riders when they are in fact not.

If you have any more questions about the school or want specifics on what is covered or anything, please ask and i'll be happy to answer

Misti

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #21
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
I have a professor who rides. He is new to riding with only about 3,000 miles under his belt. We have talked about riding several times before and after class. Sometimes, even during, since the class is physics.

In those discussions, it seemed to me like he was a new rider with limited experience. The last time we talked, which was about two weeks ago, he told me about a braking incident in which he locked the rear. This is also when I found out he only had 3K miles and was newer to riding than I realized.

He already had me concerned, due to his overall view of riding and how the handles. I let him borrow my copy of Twist II just before spring break and told him I'd get it from him when he was done with it.

If he read it, I have no doubt that he will learn something potentially life-saving from it, if he wants to.

Old March 21st, 2013, 05:32 AM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
His book Twist of the Wrist II and new video of the same name is full of riding techniques that are both street and track oriented and often gives practical advice about how a technique could be helpful on the street.
Indeed, this is totally true. There is at least 20 references to using skills on the street that is covered in the video. The video delivers the message with a different feel, as you see the rider on the street.

Old March 21st, 2013, 11:51 AM   #23
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I have a professor who rides. He is new to riding with only about 3,000 miles under his belt. We have talked about riding several times before and after class. Sometimes, even during, since the class is physics.

In those discussions, it seemed to me like he was a new rider with limited experience. The last time we talked, which was about two weeks ago, he told me about a braking incident in which he locked the rear. This is also when I found out he only had 3K miles and was newer to riding than I realized.

I have only been on the street for 3600 miles. I spent years on dirt before hand though. I feel like there are some good and bad things i took over to the street. One of the bad things is locking up the rear. Braking on a dirtbike is a lot different. On dirt locking rear is non issue, and sometimes a good technique especially on certain bikes for taking uber tight turns and lines then blasting out of the inside. The front on a dirtbike can lock up and washout easier than on street as well.
On my ninja I have locked up the rear 3 times or so on the street all times in a stopping situation and have had no problems as i have had lots of practice controlling rear lock ups. i know it is happening and am kind of prepared for it. In dirt riding you definitely learn to control a locked up rear and again it is more of a technique on the dirt for particular situations. Never have come close to locking up rear when braking for a turn, it's a different situation and my brain handles it differently, so just on quick stops i need some work. Just need to kick that dirtbike habit and trust more in the front end holding + I need to be a little more subtle with the rear brake, it is just super easy to lock up.

practice practice practice
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:19 PM   #24
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
I have only been on the street for 3600 miles. I spent years on dirt before hand though. I feel like there are some good and bad things i took over to the street. One of the bad things is locking up the rear. Braking on a dirtbike is a lot different. On dirt locking rear is non issue, and sometimes a good technique especially on certain bikes for taking uber tight turns and lines then blasting out of the inside. The front on a dirtbike can lock up and washout easier than on street as well.
On my ninja I have locked up the rear 3 times or so on the street all times in a stopping situation and have had no problems as i have had lots of practice controlling rear lock ups. i know it is happening and am kind of prepared for it. In dirt riding you definitely learn to control a locked up rear and again it is more of a technique on the dirt for particular situations. Never have come close to locking up rear when braking for a turn, it's a different situation and my brain handles it differently, so just on quick stops i need some work. Just need to kick that dirtbike habit and trust more in the front end holding + I need to be a little more subtle with the rear brake, it is just super easy to lock up.

practice practice practice
Overall I'd say that riding in the dirt is great practice for street riding, especially because you get comfortable with the bike moving and sliding around under you and are less likely to freak out when your streetbike slides or you lock up a tire. There are some techniques that are completely opposite on the dirt vs on the street and so they can cause much more harm than good.

Can you guys think of what techniques/skills are good in the dirt but not so much on the road?

Misti

Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:43 PM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Roosting your friends doesn't work as well on pavement.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:55 PM   #26
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Splashing each other through puddles.

Jumps aren't as much fun on the street.

Dodging trees sucks on a street bike.

Opposite lean, although sometime you need it on the street.

Sliding around turns by locking up the rear wheel.

Standing up on the pegs.

Riding over fallen trees would definitely suck on a road bike.

Riding two up would suck on a dirt bike, unless it's a forest ........

Crashing is just part of riding in the dirt, not so much on the street.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; April 3rd, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:57 PM   #27
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post

Crashing is very much a part of my street riding, lol.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:08 PM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
You must be doing this wrong or something.

Old April 11th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #29
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Jumps aren't as much fun on the street.

Dodging trees sucks on a street bike.

Opposite lean, although sometime you need it on the street.

Sliding around turns by locking up the rear wheel.

Standing up on the pegs.

Riding over fallen trees would definitely suck on a road bike.

Riding two up would suck on a dirt bike, unless it's a forest ........
I'm curious about your comment "opposite lean, although sometimes you need it on the street."

When would you need to lean opposite on the street and why?

Misti

Old April 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #30
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
I'm curious about your comment "opposite lean, although sometimes you need it on the street."

When would you need to lean opposite on the street and why?

Misti
Obstacle avoidance.

Old April 11th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Parking lot tight turns, very slow/tight uturns, wind... ect.. ect..