Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:06 AM   #1
PrincessJae
ninjette.org member

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Question about Kawi Card & Title

Hey Everyone!

I first bought my Ninja 250r in July 2012 and "financed" it though the Kawi Card for $5,600. It was my understanding that I would recieve the title for this in the mail - which I did. Last week the dealer called me and said that they needed me to send them back the title or my bike would start to be repossessed. I've made every payment (+ extra) every month.

I figured I'd mail them back the title no problem but my coworker suggested I get more information on it before I do. Is this required considering that I have a credit card and not a bike loan?? I mean, the financing company isn't even listed as a lien holder on my bike, if anything were to happen I would still have to pay off the credit card because I don't have gap insurance.

It just sort of seems a little fishy to me. Why now?? And why if its just a line of credit?

I actually work at State Farm and am getting my Bank certification so I'm planning on re-financing my bike soon with an actual bike loan.

Is the dealer right on this one?
PrincessJae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:11 AM   #2
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

If it where any other CC, the sale is treated as 'cash' as far as dealer is concerned.
I'm not sure the Kawi card is the same..at my local dealer it was Kawi Financing (not Card) and treated the same as a bank loan. Wouldn't the dealer would have to be on the title as lean holder to 'reposes' anything?!

I'd start by faxing your paperwork for bike and Kawi card to a lawyer, along with the dealers request for your title or repossession. Then simply reply to them you have your attorney on it and he/she will contact them.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:28 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
seems sketchy to me if the title is in your name. i would talk to someone on the number listed on the card you used to finance it. they will be able to tell you if you keep the title or if you are supposed to turn it over to someone else.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:31 AM   #4
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i financed through the card as well, and it was basically a cash sale for the dealer. the bank owns it until you pay it off.
when i paid it in full, i got the title directly from HSBC.

i would probably tell them to FOAD.

the only way they could do anything is if they had a mechanics lien on your bike because you owe them money.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

Yeah I'm on the Kawi Card and was not sent the title. I will not get it until I pay it off. It sounds like they sent you the title instead of the bank.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:19 PM   #6
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Easy fix? Refinance with someone you trust.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
The title is in HSBCs name until you pay it off, if they accidentally sent you your title before you paid it off well that's not your fault. They can't repo a bike unless you default
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:29 PM   #8
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

the Kawi dealer shouldn't need your title, they were likely contacted by the credit card holder (i guess hsbc as people have mentioned), and asked for the title, which they should have sent to the credit card holder, not to you.

you don't get the title until it's fully paid off. until then, the bank owns your bike, you just borrow it.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:49 PM   #9
PrincessJae
ninjette.org member

So I guess my options are

1. send the title directly to HSBC
2. Refinance the bike through State Farm
3. Keep the title and see what happens / contact attorney

I just think its weird that HSBC didn't contact me directly, and also that the title is completely in my name, sent from the DMV. I also don't really have a relationship with the dealer I bought it from. The dealership that I have a relationship with wouldn't go down on price / through helmet and sliders in so I went with a different one.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Keep it, its the dealerships problem now and I wouldn't respond to a threat that they made because of their mistake.
AFM #676

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:43 PM   #11
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

removed--- @MNDruggist is right
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:59 PM   #12
MNDruggist
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 Ebony

The terms on the Kawasaki financing are a little scary. I had the option when I bought my 300. Do not ever make a late payment under any circumstance. I know people who did, and the special interest rate jumps up to some crazy 22% or higher interest rate. Also, if i remember right the special interest rate is only good for 3 years but the credit term/loan is for 5 years. So if you don't make more than the minimum payment you'll end up paying larger interest in the last 2 years.

I would send the title back, or call the customer service number if you want more information on the bank's error. It's a simple mistake and not worth getting a lawyer involved and paying extra. Technically the bank/credit card owns the bike and they could get another title for it they want to, but they are trying to scare you into saving them time and money for their error.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:45 PM   #13
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Keep it, its the dealerships problem now and I wouldn't respond to a threat that they made because of their mistake.
This is bad advice. The mistake does not benefit her in any way, it's in her best interest to see it corrected.

Old January 24th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #14
dfox
ninjette.org sage

If it doesn't say that HSBC is a lien holder on your title, then the dealership likely effed up when they completed the title with the state. That's probably why the dealership wants it back.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
This is part of the problem with the world today. Someone else makes an error, we have to correct it.

Good luck to a speedy resolution that hopefully don't cost you anything.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #16
dfox
ninjette.org sage

^agreed...

I had a crappy issue with my car title too... i moved twice in one year. First time, the state needed to re-issue a new title. No problem, they sent it to me, DMV fixed it, sent it back. Problem is, the original title didn't have my suffix of JR on it. Now my auto company wants me to pay to get a document notarized stating that I "JR" purchased the car and am the same person that was on the original title... eff.

Old January 24th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #17
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
This is part of the problem with the world today. Someone else makes an error, we have to correct it.

Good luck to a speedy resolution that hopefully don't cost you anything.
people make errors all the time, i understand that...
this thing could be fixed real easy.

it just sounds like they threatened her with a repo, for no reason.

Old January 28th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #18
PrincessJae
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDruggist View Post
The terms on the Kawasaki financing are a little scary. I had the option when I bought my 300. Do not ever make a late payment under any circumstance. I know people who did, and the special interest rate jumps up to some crazy 22% or higher interest rate. Also, if i remember right the special interest rate is only good for 3 years but the credit term/loan is for 5 years. So if you don't make more than the minimum payment you'll end up paying larger interest in the last 2 years.

I would send the title back, or call the customer service number if you want more information on the bank's error. It's a simple mistake and not worth getting a lawyer involved and paying extra. Technically the bank/credit card owns the bike and they could get another title for it they want to, but they are trying to scare you into saving them time and money for their error.
I hate that Kawi Card, I made a late payment because I'm Pacific Time, so I log in the day of to make a payment like at 1pm and it says its too late, so it charged me a late fee of $25 and I think the fees go up more and more if your late again. Its terrible!

Anyway, I do trust the dealership a little bit so looks like I'm just going to make it easy on myself they are going to come to my workplace and pick it up. I am requesting that the give me something in writing certifying that they sent me my title by mistake and are requesting it back.

After two years my apr jumps up to 22% so I have been making double payments on it every month. I dont even know if it jumped up because of the late payment... I have to check on that. But I am going to try to refinance with state farm since the apr is 6.49%.

Old January 28th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #19
PrincessJae
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
people make errors all the time, i understand that...
this thing could be fixed real easy.

it just sounds like they threatened her with a repo, for no reason.
Yeah, they didn't need to make it seem like I did something wrong.

Old January 28th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I've used the Kawi card twice, no problems. Autopay yo bills son
AFM #676