ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old June 30th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #1
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

1st Full Track Day!

So, remember when I wigged out about how awesome it was to demo that R6 on the track, and then said I would be in this section more often? Well yeah... that didn't take long.

NESBA was checking out a super-tight, technical track today (Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point), and decided to try to get people out by offering a stellar deal: $50 for members to do a full track day. I love NESBA.

So I rode out to the track this morning (about 75 mins away), and got there early enough to be a noob and make sure I was taping up everything correctly and pull my fuses and all that jazz. Tech was smooth.

Only got one session in the morning, as somebody's engine decided to vomit oil all over the track. The first session was fun, but I was frustrated because I kept scraping my toe slider. I checked with the CRs about my foot position, and it was correct, so they guessed I just needed to hang off more so that my feet weren't the first things to touch. Well, that 300 is just so darn flickable, that it wants to fall into the turn all the way as soon as I start hanging off, so the second session I scrape my toe slider again.

So, I find a CR and we chat a bit. He said that the 300 falls so easily, that in order to work on position at lower speeds, I need to actually put counter-pressure on the bars to hold the bike up, and then I can get off the bike and pull it over as I need to.

BAM. Genius advice. I got better and better through the day. The track is uber-lefty -- like umpteen left handers and 3 real right handers, so my right side still needs serious work. But in the third session of the day, my knee slider skipped off the ground, surprising the bejesus out of me. In the next three sessions, I got comfortable dragging knee in all three long left-handers, and I gotta say: there's not much in motorcycling that competes with the feeling of lightly sliding the puck through a long, tight curve. FREAKING. RAD.

So that's my story. I spent $50, got in my first full track day, sweat my absolute balls off, and dragged knee for the first time ever. What a day!

Proof:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (110.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg photo copy.jpg (89.3 KB, 8 views)
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #2
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Oh yeah: and got to try out my new Diablo Rosso ii's, as well as my HH sintered brake pads. The pads were a HUGE improvement, especially coming down from about 85mph to about 30. And the DRii's? BAD A**.

Also, funny left-hand track evidence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo copy 2.jpg (102.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo copy 3.jpg (121.6 KB, 9 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Good idea on putting pressure on the opposite bar as you get into your hang-off. I find that I mosey into turns instead of turning-in quickly. I might try that some next time I'm at the track to keep the bike upright longer then turn-in hard.

Took me 3 track days to really get comfy with the speed and get the knee down. I can never understand how people go at it the first day and drag. Not that it's the goal, it's just a thing I don't get. idk, I'm still relatively new to riding I guess...

GRATZ on having a fun time!!!! I'm super jealous of the $50 track day. I coulda done 7 for that price compared to the two that I did 2 last weekend...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

I always wonder how people get knee down on their first day or so. But then again I have midget legs and can barely get knee down on the 250. The 675 on the other hand I am no where close. I look hilariously tiny on that thing...

Glad you enjoyed your first TD... many more to come I'm sure.
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Good idea on putting pressure on the opposite bar as you get into your hang-off. I find that I mosey into turns instead of turning-in quickly. I might try that some next time I'm at the track to keep the bike upright longer then turn-in hard.

Took me 3 track days to really get comfy with the speed and get the knee down. I can never understand how people go at it the first day and drag. Not that it's the goal, it's just a thing I don't get. idk, I'm still relatively new to riding I guess...

GRATZ on having a fun time!!!! I'm super jealous of the $50 track day. I coulda done 7 for that price compared to the two that I did 2 last weekend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted139 View Post
I always wonder how people get knee down on their first day or so. But then again I have midget legs and can barely get knee down on the 250. The 675 on the other hand I am no where close. I look hilariously tiny on that thing...

Glad you enjoyed your first TD... many more to come I'm sure.
Thanks guys! Like you said, Chone, getting a knee down isn't a goal, it's just a side effect of riding in a particular way. I think it happened relatively quickly for me because I've been riding for many years now, and riding quite seriously (although street-only) for a good while. So I've been practicing all the techniques I read about and see described for a decent amount of time, and so the track just let me do what I had been wanting to do for a long time.

That being said, I'm still slow. I'm working on my form and lines very consciously, but I'm just not carrying all that much speed. I didn't want to push my limits in too many ways all at once, so speed will come down the road.

Funny, I was moaning about my crappy right-hand form, and then I got an email from a guy I met at the track who was taking pics for fun. The only pics he got of me were on one of the few right handers! It doesn't look terrible to me, but I can see that my head isn't nearly as low as it is when I'm on the left side, and so I think the bike is probably over further than it needs to be. Also: I look like a giant on this bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Travis---1.jpg (106.7 KB, 12 views)

Old July 1st, 2013, 07:32 AM   #6
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Thanks guys! Like you said, Chone, getting a knee down isn't a goal, it's just a side effect of riding in a particular way. I think it happened relatively quickly for me because I've been riding for many years now, and riding quite seriously (although street-only) for a good while. So I've been practicing all the techniques I read about and see described for a decent amount of time, and so the track just let me do what I had been wanting to do for a long time.

That being said, I'm still slow. I'm working on my form and lines very consciously, but I'm just not carrying all that much speed. I didn't want to push my limits in too many ways all at once, so speed will come down the road.

Funny, I was moaning about my crappy right-hand form, and then I got an email from a guy I met at the track who was taking pics for fun. The only pics he got of me were on one of the few right handers! It doesn't look terrible to me, but I can see that my head isn't nearly as low as it is when I'm on the left side, and so I think the bike is probably over further than it needs to be. Also: I look like a giant on this bike.
Looks awesome for a first TD!

Right hand turns are harder for most people due to throttle being on that side.
The cure is simple: Grip the bars as a screwdriver, lead with your inside elbow down, that will pull your head down.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 1st, 2013, 07:57 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 08:15 AM   #8
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 09:15 AM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've only ever raced the main track there so I google Summit Point to see the other layout Shenandoah Circuit). There are tracks all over the place in that area. Are they dirt tracks besides the asphalt tracks? Looks like fun all over the place.

Old July 1st, 2013, 11:18 AM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I've only ever raced the main track there so I google Summit Point to see the other layout Shenandoah Circuit). There are tracks all over the place in that area. Are they dirt tracks besides the asphalt tracks? Looks like fun all over the place.
Every time I see your name I shorten the first to mike and say it fast in my head... I'm easily amused!

I want a durn track day!

Old July 1st, 2013, 01:33 PM   #11
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Every time I see your name I shorten the first to mike and say it fast in my head... I'm easily amused!

I want a durn track day!
I don't get it?

Old July 1st, 2013, 01:38 PM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
If you say mike hunt fast and with a southern draw it sounds dirty

Durn guess I never grew out of dirty minded high school crap

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:11 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Is Mike Hunt there? Hello, can I speak to Mike Hunt? lol old prank call.

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:15 PM   #14
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Is Mike Hunt there? Hello, can I speak to Mike Hunt? lol old prank call.
You must be old like me

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:20 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I am.... Old and trying and "sometimes" lol, succeeding at keeping up with these young cats. I aint going down without fighting it ever step of the way.

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:24 PM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
psssh, you're not old.

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:25 PM   #17
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
Looks awesome for a first TD!

Right hand turns are harder for most people due to throttle being on that side.
The cure is simple: Grip the bars as a screwdriver, lead with your inside elbow down, that will pull your head down.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Quote:
Thanks dudes! I'll have to try that 'screwdriver' thing, although I'm not positive I get it. Maybe it'll make more sense with one arse cheek off the bike.

And yeah, Summit Point has a lot of tracks. There are three road race courses: main, which you've been on, is the fastest; Shenandoah is super-technical, but also has a few straights; and Jefferson, which I haven't been on, supposedly has no real straights at all. I'm planning to take the 300 there next.

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:26 PM   #18
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
psssh, you're not old.
Yup, I don't even know you, and I concur with this. PS, csmith: remember how you assumed my Contour footage would be crap on my demo day? Well, it only wasn't because my body position was still too upright. I'll put together a lap or two from this day, and you'll see it's exactly what you predicted -- my cluster gage and the ground, lol.

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:29 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Travis, I finally got the screwdriver thing. Just work on relaxing the elbows and the fingers. then kinda palm the end of the inside bar, and grasp the throttle with the fingers. Same thing with the outside bar; palm the bar, relax the fingers. Remember that all you're doing is pressing, not death-gripping.

idk if that helps or not, that's just how I got my mind around it...

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:29 PM   #20
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

so when are you going again? I WANNA GO
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:35 PM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I remember, the mind has not faded yet. lol I have learned your as old as you feel, so I guess I am still 22 or so.

It sucks when that happens though but there is something to gain from every experience, if you stop to find it. So on your video, you can use it to check your apexes and turn in points. Look for consistency. Although, gratz on making progress with you BP.

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:40 PM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

As to the screwdriver thing... treading really close to cheating lol, as seen by one of my riding buddies below.

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:56 PM   #23
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
so when are you going again? I WANNA GO
LET'S DO EEETTT. I'm looking to do Jefferson Circuit, maybe once it starts to cool down a bit. I'll also just keep my eyes open for deals. Coleman's is doing another sponsored track day (it will be Main, but for the right deal, why the hell not) before the end of the summer. It will probably be $115 for track day plus lunch.

Quote:
As to the screwdriver thing... treading really close to cheating lol, as seen by one of my riding buddies below.

HOLY BEJESUS.

That does help, though -- thanks guys. I thought it was just the lack of practice on the right side, but I think you guys are convincing me that throttle side was a factor as well.

Old July 1st, 2013, 03:24 PM   #24
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Thanks dudes! I'll have to try that 'screwdriver' thing, although I'm not positive I get it. Maybe it'll make more sense with one arse cheek off the bike.

And yeah, Summit Point has a lot of tracks. There are three road race courses: main, which you've been on, is the fastest; Shenandoah is super-technical, but also has a few straights; and Jefferson, which I haven't been on, supposedly has no real straights at all. I'm planning to take the 300 there next.
Screwdriver thing, holding the throttle at an angle and twist like using a screwdriver.

Google maps Summit and you will see many more tracks than you think (probably more than ten thousand or maybe 15).

Old July 1st, 2013, 03:34 PM   #25
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Screwdriver thing, holding the throttle at an angle and twist like using a screwdriver.

Google maps Summit and you will see many more tracks than you think (probably more than ten thousand or maybe 15).
Okay wise*ss.

The three I named are the only roadracing courses there. They also have a kart track, a 'training grounds' (dunno for what -- mx maybe?), and probably more. But yeah, the road courses are Main, Jefferson and Shenny.

Old July 1st, 2013, 04:48 PM   #26
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Holy f'ing sh!t!!!! I was at the track day with you! Green Ninja 250 with track plastics.

This is such a small world... I think I even have you on a bit of video. You looked really comfortable on the bike. I wanted to ask you about the bike and how you liked it but got totally distracted. Damn near everybody I know took advantage of that NESBA deal. $75 or $50 for a track day is amazing and once in a lifetime. I doubt they will do that again. But you never know!
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 05:20 PM   #27
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
Holy f'ing sh!t!!!! I was at the track day with you! Green Ninja 250 with track plastics.

This is such a small world... I think I even have you on a bit of video. You looked really comfortable on the bike. I wanted to ask you about the bike and how you liked it but got totally distracted. Damn near everybody I know took advantage of that NESBA deal. $75 or $50 for a track day is amazing and once in a lifetime. I doubt they will do that again. But you never know!
Hey, there you are! I wondered if you were a member here. I didn't know there were any other ninjettes around until you passed me one session in the afternoon! You looked great. I looked for you at the end of the day -- found your bike and went and talked to the guys standing by it, but they said you were off wandering. But I wanted to tell you that your bike is incredible -- that exhaust must be tuned up right. When you got in front of me, we had a couple of short straights were I went WFO, and you pulled steadily away; that's seriously impressive for a 250 up against a 300 -- shows what a difference tuning makes (and obviously, your progress in the corners shows what a difference skill makes!). Good show though, dude.

Old July 1st, 2013, 05:37 PM   #28
Jred
ninjette.org member

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): Several

Looks awesome - going to race mine at Cresson this weekend.
Jred is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 06:02 PM   #29
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Quote:
Hey, there you are! I wondered if you were a member here. I didn't know there were any other ninjettes around until you passed me one session in the afternoon! You looked great. I looked for you at the end of the day -- found your bike and went and talked to the guys standing by it, but they said you were off wandering. But I wanted to tell you that your bike is incredible -- that exhaust must be tuned up right. When you got in front of me, we had a couple of short straights were I went WFO, and you pulled steadily away; that's seriously impressive for a 250 up against a 300 -- shows what a difference tuning makes (and obviously, your progress in the corners shows what a difference skill makes!). Good show though, dude.
I remember that pass. Sorry about that. I was trying to catch a guy on a naked something. He was my nemesis all day!

That 250 has been my enemy for about 6 weeks. I've taken the carbs out 5 times to change the jets and tune it to the best of my non-abilities. I still don't think it's running right. But it's MUCH better than before!

I will tell you my secret. Don't tell anybody. Ok? The reason I pulled away is because I got on the gas much earlier than you did. I followed you around for a lap, and I was always on the gas sooner. If we hit the gas at the same time, you would have been pulled away easily.

Let me know if you decide to go again. There are always 250 riders with Roger Lyle (Motorcycle Xcitement). They are a bit more expensive. Usually around $200 for the day. But they run the fully Shenandoah configuration, which is awesome. More turns and longer track.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 06:28 PM   #30
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
I remember that pass. Sorry about that. I was trying to catch a guy on a naked something. He was my nemesis all day!

That 250 has been my enemy for about 6 weeks. I've taken the carbs out 5 times to change the jets and tune it to the best of my non-abilities. I still don't think it's running right. But it's MUCH better than before!

I will tell you my secret. Don't tell anybody. Ok? The reason I pulled away is because I got on the gas much earlier than you did. I followed you around for a lap, and I was always on the gas sooner. If we hit the gas at the same time, you would have been pulled away easily.

Let me know if you decide to go again. There are always 250 riders with Roger Lyle (Motorcycle Xcitement). They are a bit more expensive. Usually around $200 for the day. But they run the fully Shenandoah configuration, which is awesome. More turns and longer track.
Haha. No apologies needed -- it was fun to watch you go. That would be cool to be with more 250s. Even though I know I'm slow, there are still people even slower than me in the corners, and so they hero pass on the straights and then park it in the top of the turn. I got in the habit of hot pitting in the afternoon to get an open track. So it would be nice to have some other riders on close to the same pace. Let me know when you hit up Lyle's circuit.

Old July 1st, 2013, 06:35 PM   #31
SPG
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninjette

BTW, adjusting your tire pressure can make a huge difference in whether the bike falls in, stands up, or is neutral. On my wife's 250 with Rosso IIs, 32F/32R makes the bike fall in, 30F/32R makes the bike slowly stand up. Play a little with the bias between F&R and you should be able to make it match your riding preference.
-Sean
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:50 AM   #32
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
BTW, adjusting your tire pressure can make a huge difference in whether the bike falls in, stands up, or is neutral. On my wife's 250 with Rosso IIs, 32F/32R makes the bike fall in, 30F/32R makes the bike slowly stand up. Play a little with the bias between F&R and you should be able to make it match your riding preference.
-Sean
Cool advice! I'll def. try that.

Also, the photog started putting up his shots from the day. He got a bunch of me, but I don't know if any are that much better than the one I already have above. The proof album is here: http://www.picsofyou.com/store/index...y=21533#page=1

John from picsofyou is a great guy, so I like supporting him, but man, the habit of pics-buying will make the habit of bike-tracking a lot more expensive if I purchase every time!

Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:54 PM   #33
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Okay wise*ss.

The three I named are the only roadracing courses there. They also have a kart track, a 'training grounds' (dunno for what -- mx maybe?), and probably more. But yeah, the road courses are Main, Jefferson and Shenny.
Are you talking to me? I'm not sure your reasoning?

Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:48 PM   #34
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Are you talking to me? I'm not sure your reasoning?
Haha, oh, I guess you were serious. I thought you were being clever, telling me that the explanation of 'hold the throttle like a screwdriver' was to 'hold the throttle like a screwdriver', lol. Okay, I take it back.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:10 PM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Relevant info:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:36 PM   #36
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
So simple, yet so awesome. Thanks, Chris!

Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:32 AM   #37
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

@tnr4 I have footage of you touching down through the hook at the top of the corner before the chicane.

http://youtu.be/EPbgzxsNLr0?t=16m45s

I was the guy who stopped by later in the day to chat with Nate (HP4). I was riding the 11 GSXR 600 Blue/White wearing the Lorenzo helmet.

Good job out there btw. Will see you at the next one.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:56 AM   #38
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningscooter View Post
@tnr4 I have footage of you touching down through the hook at the top of the corner before the chicane.

http://youtu.be/EPbgzxsNLr0?t=16m45s

I was the guy who stopped by later in the day to chat with Nate (HP4). I was riding the 11 GSXR 600 Blue/White wearing the Lorenzo helmet.

Good job out there btw. Will see you at the next one.
Burningscooter, you're a stud! Thanks so much -- not that I think I'm looking particularly great, but my first track day felt like a great accomplishment, so it's nice to have it documented a bit.

BTW: I remember you passing me (several times) -- I thought you were on a 750 or 1K! Very slick.

Thanks for the note!

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:07 AM   #39
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

@tnr4 haha yeaa.. Ive been working on my pickup and trying to superbike the **** out of it. Especially if im trying to outdrive two SS1000RR yah know. LOL (I know, it probably wont happen), but ill be damned if I let them pass me. So I ran some funky lines trying to get the drive out a lot of the times, which, worked for the most part. On another note, on the 4th session after the restart, I ended up outbraking myself into the hook and ran into the grass trying to get by one of the two Beamers. This is two track days in a row where Ive pushed a little too hard on the brakes. Live and learn.

I should also mention that the bike that spewed oil all over the front straight was my pal. I was right behind him when it happened, and rolled up to him honking my horn trying to get him off the track. Im thinking oil line.

Also, you looked great out there. Looked comfortable and doing your own thing. I think you can carry much more corner speed but that will come with more seat time on the track. Remember to keep your head up while braking and as soon as you see a speed that is manageable, set it and give it a go!
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:07 PM   #40
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
I got comfortable dragging knee in all three long left-handers, and I gotta say: there's not much in motorcycling that competes with the feeling of lightly sliding the puck through a long, tight curve. FREAKING. RAD.
You get it!!! Yeah, I tell people that same thing all the time. There is NO other feeling in the world that comes close to that one. Well, there may be ONE that comes close, but it's definitely an extraordinary feeling!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote