ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #81
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

Being in the 100s here I think I'm the only person who has a jacket and only time I see gloves boots and helmet are when I'm on post.

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #82
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
I could care less what other people wear .. its their choice and their lives. Nothing I can do about it, can't fix stupid.
IMHO you should care though, as their injuries effect your insurance, not to mention perception of motorcyclists at large.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #83
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

A lot of weekend rider types seem to be without helmet/gear. You know the ones, they bought a cruiser because it was the rage and only take short rides around the neighborhood.

On the other hand, most of the riders that I see commuting every week or that are actually going somewhere (Fully packed up full luggage on the freeway) seem to wear the most gear no matter what kind of bike they are on.

I suppose it may boil down to how seriously a person takes their riding vs. riding being the cool thing to do.

And I also wonder how people ride at 75-80 mph without a helmet (wind, bugs, dust, rocks, etc.). I have to close my shield at 25 mph or my eyes start watering. Even then, crap gets in my eyes. I removed my chin curtain and something blew up into my eye and caused me to pull over in half a panic because I was blinded in my right eye and tearing heavily out of my left eye. The chin curtain went right back on that day.

Jeff

Last futzed with by JeffM; June 27th, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #84
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

The weather finally was nice here in town for the week-end... went to a locale lake not far from my house here in the city, people come and play baseball, volleyball, walk around the lake, have a goodtime.. they come down to see, and be seen I guess..

In the hour or so that I had stopped to grab a bite to eat... I probably saw no fewer than a dozen or so riders on sports bikes, and cruiser riding past... the only thing that any of them had on was their brain bucket (required by law here) other than that, the sports bike riders only had on a tank-top, jeans, and sport shoes... one cruiser I saw was wearing flip-flops, shorts, and short sleeve shirt...

I dunno..... just seems not to be too intelligent to me, but what do I know.. I'm still a noob.

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #85
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I mostly run in to cruisers around here, I'd say 85% of motorcycles are cruisers, most dont wear any gear at all and about half wear a helmet. It's very rare if I run into someone who has full gear on and I think I have only run into one other person before with full leathers on
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #86
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

It depends on the bike, actually.

It seems to me that even though sportbike riders get the label of "dangerous", we tend to wear the most protective clothing, and easily 90%+ of the ones I see have a helmet on, and it's always full-face. The usual get-up I see is a helmet, jacket and gloves.

Cruiser riders tend to wear the least, in my experience, and usually it's leather vests/chaps but no helmet, and when it IS a helmet, it's a half type.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #87
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
And I also wonder how people ride at 75-80 mph without a helmet (wind, bugs, dust, rocks, etc.). I have to close my shield at 25 mph or my eyes start watering. Even then, crap gets in my eyes. I removed my chin curtain and something blew up into my eye and caused me to pull over in half a panic because I was blinded in my right eye and tearing heavily out of my left eye. The chin curtain went right back on that day.

Jeff
On my way to work this morning, which is mostly all highway,276 & 476 for anyone in the philly area, which are MAJOR highways, three cruisers wearing nothing but a harley vest, no helemet, nothing, I thought they were crazy, plus the one rider was pissing me off because she was litterly riding RIGHT ON the divider line, she was begging to be run over/clipped
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #88
darrell85
darrell85

Name: darrell

Motorcycle(s): 2001 250 ninja

i currently live in missouri but i am originally from illinois. missouri has a helmet law and that is the only gear i ever see anyone wearing unless its cold and then a jacket. illinois has no helmet law and every time i go there as soon as i cross over the missisippi river there is always a motorcyclist parked on the side of the road removing there helmet. it is very rare to see someone wearing a helmet there. I often catch alot of crap for wearing my gear.
darrell85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #89
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Here in northern KY and southern OH helmets are an optional item.

Gear is all about the group you ride with here.

Hardcore sport bike group - ATGATT
Sport bike group - various stages of squid evolution
Cruisers - 20/80 skull caps, fingerless gloves and sh*tkickers (that's a KY term for old work boots)
Touring - Pretty good gear presence, most are just missing gloves
Other n00bs that ride whatever they can afford - Next to nothing, whatever street clothes for the current weather

The temps here are not super hot, we do get some upper 90's, but the humidity is killer in full leathers. Enough so, I got a mesh jacket for more casual riding, but leathers for the spirited rides.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #90
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Well Florida apparently has a helmet law. Which I'm so thankful of. Lately, I've seen so many bikes driving by with the helmet in the helmet lock on the bike, which just brings a smile to my face. Im so glad the bike will be ok when it goes down. Sure, it's a shame about the rider and all. But who cares lately? As long as the bike is safe. Thank god we have DOT helmets to protect out bikes.

What? There's no strict helmet law in florida? And.. helmets are supposed to be worn on the... head? What kind of crap is this? I bought my helmet to protect my bike! This is an outrage.

This post was clearly sarcastic. As you can see, florida has a lot of idiots. For a state where I dont even feel safe driving in my car sometimes because people are lunatics, we sure do have a lot of motorcyclist who dont care. I always want to yell at the guy who drives by with a helmet in the helmet lock. That just makes no sense.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #91
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Isn't the law in FL that you have to either wear a helmet, or carry proof of $X of medical insurance if you're over y age?

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #92
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
A lot of weekend end rider types seem to be without helmet/gear. You know the ones, they bought a cruiser [sportbike] because it was the rage and only take short rides around the neighborhood.

On the other hand, most of the riders that I see commuting every week or that are actually going somewhere (Fully packed up full luggage on the freeway) seem to wear the most gear no matter what kind of bike they are on.

I suppose it may boil down to how seriously a person takes their riding vs. riding being the cool thing to do.

Jeff

This is much the case here in SD. Btw, I've yet to see a passenger where more than just a helmet here.

Old June 27th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #93
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Around here with no helmet law, you're lucky to see people wearing one. Out of 10 riders I see, probably 1 has a helmet. Out of 50 I see, MAYBE 5-6 are wearing a proper jacket and/or a helmet. It is a rare sight to see someone in full gear. On my daily commute I regularly only see one guy on a F800GS decked out in a hiviz riding suit w/ hiviz enduro helmet. Sometimes I see tour riders with out of state plates in full gear.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #94
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Yesterday at Hampton Beach in NH, where there is no helmet law, I saw girl passangers with a tank tops, shorts, and Stiletto heels on... nuts if you ask me.. or is it just stupid?.?

Old June 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #95
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon76 View Post
Yesterday at Hampton Beach in NH, where there is no helmet law, I saw girl passangers with a tank tops, shorts, and Stiletto heels on... nuts if you ask me.. or is it just stupid?.?
My totally inappropriate answer would be "Depends on if the gal was hot looking"

And yes ladies I am a pig

Old June 27th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #96
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Only if he likes playing dress-up.

Old June 27th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #97
Truckian
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Most protection I've seen folks around here wear is jeans, street shoes, leather/textile jacket, helmet, and maybe gloves. Very rarely see riding pants or boots.

Lot of people around here just go for the jeans, street shoes, t-shirt, helmet look though.

Last week I saw a guy with jeans and a t-shirt riding around with a girl on the back wearing short shorts, Chuck Taylors, and a tank top. She wasn't even holding onto anything that I could see. God that made me cringe...
Truckian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #98
p4174w
nooblet

Name: P

Motorcycle(s): 1994 ex250

I would say 80% of riders I see only wear jeans and a t-shirt. Sometimes less. Most guys (and girls) around here ride cruisers. I did see a guy yesterday in full gear though. First time in a long time I’ve seen that. And…..he was riding a Ninja 250. There’s a guy in my neighborhood that rides a Yamaha Maxim 650 and usually only has shorts and not even a shirt on. I’ve even seen him in sandals.
p4174w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #99
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdog View Post
So in my travels and going to a few bike nights in the Albuquerque area I have noticed a vast difference in levels of gear worn by others when riding. So as my question states I just wonder how much gear you see others wearing?

The most common is Clear glasses and maybe a chest protector. I see a few with helmets. I also see very few couples with gear on maybe a pair with helmets but that’s rare. Some have helmets but are locked on their bikes and not their heads. It seems that less than 15% gear at all, and it is usually gloves or the rare helmet.
Maybe its because its hot? I typically just see helmet and gloves commonly. Everything else is rare.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #100
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Perhaps they're working girls?

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #101
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazinCajun View Post
Isn't the law in FL that you have to either wear a helmet, or carry proof of $X of medical insurance if you're over y age?
Yeah. But I'm pretty sure not a lot of riders have that much insurance coverage. You dont see many people in florida in a helmet let alone full gear. Sadly. I think you should be required to wear a helmet no matter what your insurance is. My parents like pointing out stories in the news paper to me about motorcyclists crashing and dying ever since I wanted to get a motorcycle. My first question is always if they were wearing a helmet or not.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #102
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
saw a guy riding a custom chopper today like an ass sounding like he was trying to pull everything he could out of it. didn't shift very well. wearing jeans, no shirt, no helmet... best part: with his kid on the back who looked about 4 or 5 who was wearing no shoes, short jeans, a tshirt, and no helmet.

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #103
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibunkid.206 View Post
My totally inappropriate answer would be "Depends on if the gal was hot looking"

And yes ladies I am a pig
nope.... most just THINK they are...lol

Old June 28th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #104
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

For me if I'm just going around town jeans boots my riding jacket gloves and of course helmet
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #105
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhyen View Post
perhaps they're working girls?
ba ha ha ha ha....