ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 16th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #1
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Rear stand

Is a cheap rear (like this one for example) stand that much worse than a $130 Pitbul rear stand... Obviously its probably not at sturdy/stable. But i mean, there are bike lifts that are cheaper than a Pitbull stand. Will a cheap one work for the ninjette for simple stuff like chain lubing and maintenance?
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #2
kkim

that's something only you can answer.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Just stay away from the harbor freight special, that thing is a POS. Any other rear stand will work ten times better. Pit Bull and some of the other high end stands are fantastic because they are extremely durable.

I have been very happy with my Trackside stand from cyclegear, not as nice as the Pit Bull but it is easy to use and fairly stable.

Old May 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #4
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR-6...item483abd3b9a they're awesome!
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

I've bought a PitBull for $80 on Craigslist once and I routinely see them for $100. I recommend using http://www.searchtempest.com for searching multiple Craigslist at once. I'm no way associated with this site.
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #6
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I got the PSR Econo Rear Stand from Motorcycle Superstore. $50, and it works great. Not unstable, powder coat has been totally rust free even though I store it outside in the tropics (no covered garage for me), and it has served me well for oil changes, chain lubes, tire change, etc. Really, I don't have a single complaint about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0000-PSR-Econo-Rear-Spool-Stand-White.jpg (62.8 KB, 2 views)

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #7
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I recommend pitbulls but won't anymore if that's what they're asking now. Was 50-80 bucks few years back. Go with GFloyd but how about shipping??
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #8
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

If you've already got a pair of automotive jack stands, you can just get a couple of long bolts and use the jack stands until you can save up for a good set of stands; cost me <$5 for bolts from Home Depot. I plan on getting a set of T-Rex stands by the time I need to store it for winter. Until then I only really need to put up the back end for oil changes and chain clean/lubes, etc.

reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #9
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
I got the PSR Econo Rear Stand from Motorcycle Superstore. $50, and it works great. Not unstable, powder coat has been totally rust free even though I store it outside in the tropics (no covered garage for me), and it has served me well for oil changes, chain lubes, tire change, etc. Really, I don't have a single complaint about it.
I have the same stand and it does a decent job for the money. Mine is now a little crooked. My bike almost fell off my floor jack once and it slightly twisted the stand. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure the stand would still be good as new. It still works, I just need to reposition it a little more is all. I wouldn't get the PSR front fork stand though. It doesn't fit very well, even when I made spacers.

Old May 21st, 2011, 04:46 PM   #10
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Hey guys. I am looking to get this stand, as well as another one for the front to keep it totally off the ground when I store it in the winter. What should I get for the front?
2fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM   #11
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I got this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STFL-...Q5fAccessories and it works well.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM   #12
shanesalty
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Blue

I ordered a Pit Bull stand from STG when I first got my bike. I love the stand and do not regret buying it. They are pricey but well worth it IMHO
shanesalty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM   #13
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I ordered the $40 stand from Cycle Gear they had on special. I just had to cancel the order. They aren't getting anymore in until around July, maybe August.

I ordered it to, you know, to use it. Oh well, guess I'll have to spend a bit more now.

Tri, what happened to yours exactly that caused the bike to almost fall? User error or part defect? I would like to know, because the price is right, but I want to make sure I won't have any problems holding up a 440 pound bike.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:58 PM   #14
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

T- Like I said, I had a floor jack under the bike with the stand at the time. It was user error on my part. Nothing wrong with the PSR rear stand at all. I really like it for the value.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:05 PM   #15
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Oh, I missed that part. Thanks. Think I'm gonna go order it right now since I just cancelled that Cycle Gear stand.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM   #16
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Don't forget you need rear spools if you don't already have some. Mine came with them, so I'm not sure if they come stock, but you should make sure.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Yeah I know. I don't know what size spool I need though.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM   #18
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21722

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #19
jackxlee
ninjette.org newbie

Name: jack

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintalmighty View Post
Is a cheap rear (like this one for example) stand that much worse than a $130 Pitbul rear stand... Obviously its probably not at sturdy/stable. But i mean, there are bike lifts that are cheaper than a Pitbull stand. Will a cheap one work for the ninjette for simple stuff like chain lubing and maintenance?
Get two long screw that fit the thing on the swing arm, than lift it up and u have the cheapest stand. I had to lube and chain too but paying for over 100 for the stand is kinda expensive. let me know because i could take a pic how i do it and show you.
jackxlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #20
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackxlee View Post
Get two long screw that fit the thing on the swing arm, than lift it up and u have the cheapest stand. I had to lube and chain too but paying for over 100 for the stand is kinda expensive. let me know because i could take a pic how i do it and show you.
I am down with pics
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #21
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
If you've already got a pair of automotive jack stands, you can just get a couple of long bolts and use the jack stands until you can save up for a good set of stands; cost me <$5 for bolts from Home Depot. I plan on getting a set of T-Rex stands by the time I need to store it for winter. Until then I only really need to put up the back end for oil changes and chain clean/lubes, etc.

All of your pictures are so vivid. What's your camera setup?
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #22
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
10 mm fit.

Old May 28th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #23
NicoleH28
ninjette.org member

Name: Nicole

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r Special Edition White & 2006 Suzuki GSXR 600

I got a T-Rex Racing stand - they are REALLY nice and not that exspensive.
NicoleH28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #24
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I bought this one at harbor freight.....NO problems, it works great, and its definitely NOT a POS.

bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #25
drdoug99
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R Special Edition

http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog...01e50351cf78a5

I did a lot of research and read all about how everyone loves their PitBull stands, but I couldn't justify the high cost, which is usually $120 or more for just the rear stand from all the sites I checked out. I found Redline Engineering, and I got the rear stand, their "Commercial Series" with the black Delrin swingarm spool "sliders". I couldn't be more pleased. The stand is super heavy duty, I could probably lift my car with ease if I had to.

They are charging 60 bucks for the rear stand, and 30 bucks for the Delrin sliders....with shipping my order was like less than $120 bucks. Not a bad deal at all.

Black powercoating is great, I've banged this stand around carrying it to and from places and it looks brand new.

The Redline company I've never dealt with before but the shipping and handling was super fast, and packaging was excellent. Frame spools installed perfectly, they include all the spacers you need, and they look cool too.
drdoug99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #26
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
I have these too. No complaints - they seem sturdy, responses to questions were quick and informative.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #27
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

I bought the PSR today at a local shop for $58. It was only a few bucks more than what Motorcycle Superstore wanted, and by the time you add the shipping, it would have cost more. I bought some Vortex spools for $19.

I threw the spools on and picked the bike up with the stand. It feels fine and is very easy to use. I went ahead and cleaned and lubed the chain while I had it up. I will probably wash the bike tomorrow using the stand to make it easier. After the wife and I ride, of course.

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #28
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
I bought this one at harbor freight.....NO problems, it works great, and its definitely NOT a POS.

The instructions say to see the instructions with the paddle adapters for using it with the paddle adapters and yet the adapters have no instructions. The diagram in the manual cut and pasted the same side without making a mirror image where there should be one. The assemply instructions only tell you how to assemble what is already assembled and stop at the part where you begin. Mine had a bolt with a mangled head so it could only be tightened from the nut on the other side.

But, like you said, it's cheap and it works.

Their other stand with the optional front fork adapters never answers the most basic questions, like "does it matter which end I lift first?" (Answer: YES. Only manipulate the front with the rear already on a stand).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:20 AM   #29
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250r

Hey guys. Looking to get a rear stand and I guess I need something called spools for the bike to go on the stand. Where do I get these and ones that fit my 2010 250r? Links please if possible.

Thanks!
2fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:31 AM   #30
noobie
ninjette.org member

Name: me

Motorcycle(s): 250r

10mm spools, any motorcycle shop should have them
noobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:38 AM   #31
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

Harbor Freight has spools, saw yesterday that they are only 2.99. Not sure if the sale ended though they are usually like 7 bucks.
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM   #32
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Yup. HF has the best deal on spools but they are silver-colored (they don't carry black). I lost one of my black slider spools and have been using 1.25mm x 10mm x 80mm bolts with a spacer.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote