ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:42 PM   #41
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Looked like a good fit to me. Remember that it has to always be zipped up or it isn't really going to do much good in a lay down.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:45 PM   #42
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Duh lol

Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:19 PM   #43
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
It's actually almost small. If I grow at all, it will be small. I haven't bought gear yet. I was going to get a pair of gloves and boots since I don't have any actual gloves or boots.
Well you do have another few years of growing to do, don't you?

Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #44
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I just wore over the ankle hiking boots for my MSF. $20 at Big5 sporting goods. Did the job just fine. Even worked fine for when I first started riding. As for gloves, there a ton of great gloves on closeout all over the place. Ranges from $25-$50 and they would be more than adequate for summer vented riding and even some normal riding. When you figure out what you like, buy better gear and use the left overs as spares.

I understand buying protective gear is essential but I think new riders should save and buy great gear through closeouts and then buy another set of gear once they figure out their riding style and the type of gear they'll actually wear.

Also, dont overbuy gear for the MSF. Who knows, maybe you'll start riding, be scared shitless and end up never gettting a bike. you'll never know if you're a real pansy until you start riding a real bike. Just saying.

Old December 24th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #45
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Also, dont overbuy gear for the MSF. Who knows, maybe you'll start riding, be scared shitless and end up never gettting a bike. you'll never know if you're a real pansy until you start riding a real bike. Just saying.
Lol i was really scared to ride i thought id face plant at msf but shoot after i rode in msf it felt like heaven it killed my inner pansy.

Old December 24th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #46
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

After the MSF I felt like I could ride across the country. It really helped with my confidence levels.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #47
n4mwd

Get real biker gloves. They are made better for the job. You can use gardening gloves for the MSF, but they are a real pain on the bike. Watch for closeouts and sales. Like I said before, I just bought an all leather gauntlet style spare pair for $11 on amazon. A good pair of gardening gloves is about the same price. Not worth fooling with.

Old December 24th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #48
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Link please.

Old December 24th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #49
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
These?

http://www.amazon.com/Raider-Leather...4767170&sr=8-2

Old December 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #50
n4mwd

Quote:
Yep. They aren't the best and seem a bit tight. I should have gone with XL. But they should work. Better ones have a little curl in them and nuckle guards, but these are OK.

Old December 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #51
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Just for MSF right?

Old December 24th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #52
n4mwd

No, those are real motorcycle gloves. You can ride with those. For the MSF, you can pretty much wear anything - including garden gloves. I think the only gloves they don't allow are rubber gloves.

Old December 24th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #53
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Alright. They don't look that safe or reliable though (at least for a long time).

Old December 24th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #54
n4mwd

There are better ones out there, but those are fine. They are made of thick leather. Might not be that great in warmer weather though.

Old December 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #55
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Alright. Thanks!

Old December 25th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #56
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Also they don't have impact protection (knuckle protectors) So I wouldn't count on them past the MSF. Get real, high quality gauntlet gloves.

I know that you already know not to short cut and save money on gear Nick. Don't forget that
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #57
NDspd

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

If you knew that you were going to go through the MSF and then start riding, I'd go ahead and get a better quality glove than the ones talked above. I got the A*s SP2 gauntlet gloves, yeah they were at a higher price point but they should last me a long time and give me good protection. If you get a pair of gloves, please get gauntlets, yeah they may look dorky, but I can't count the amount of friends and friend of friends that have severe road burn on their wrists from short gloves.

I'd put the money down on something that would protect me, rather than wear an excuse for a glove. Otherwise, if something happened, you would probably be wishing you spent those few extra bucks.

If you were kind of sure or are sure you are going to ride, but want cheap, "reliable" protection, I'd go with this: Teknic Chicane glove, $50

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ne-Gloves.aspx

Or if you want to spend a few extra $$ then go for what I have: Alpinestars SP2 gloves $100 and lots of colors

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-2-Gloves.aspx

Old December 25th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #58
n4mwd

I have to say that high priced gear does not always equal better protection.

The aforementioned Amazon gloves make the entire glove out of thicker leather so your whole hand is protected and not just the knuckles. The only problem is that the uniformly thick leather means they aren't quite as comfortable as they could be.

Better built gloves are made of thinner leather or textile and then add extra leather or plastic over areas that need extra abrasion resistance. The net result is that they still protect while being more comfortable.

The two main requirements for biker gloves:

1. They need to stay on if you go down;
2. They need to protect your hands from road rash.

Other than that, the only gloves that are totally wrong are the fingerless ones and gloves that allow exposure to the heal of the palm or wrist.

Here is another inexpensive $11 glove.

This one has all the plastic knuckles, but weak protection in the palm and wrist area. You don't absolutely need gauntlet gloves as long as your wrist and palm are protected.

Old December 25th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #59
Ranor
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Pearl White EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post

I got the A* SP-2 they are awesome, I also have these summer gloves which are decent against abrasion but have no real impact protection:

EDIT: Also if you are looking for boots these are great and not too expensive:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
Ranor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #60
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
The two main requirements for biker gloves:

1. They need to stay on if you go down;
2. They need to protect your hands from road rash.

Other than that, the only gloves that are totally wrong are the fingerless ones and gloves that allow exposure to the heal of the palm or wrist.
I agree up to about 80%. 3rd main requirement is as much impact protection as possible which usually ends up being plastic or some kind of low friction material to minimize the "ripping" effect. Some high end gloves even tie the pinky and ring finger together to prevent the pinky from twisting.

I still stand by my first statement. Get through the MSF first and see how you feel. There are riders out there that get their license but never end up with a bike. Then again, if you buy high end gear and end up selling it to us for a discounted price or even better, donating it... I wont complain.

When's the MSF? Please tell me you've signed up for it! I'd spend the $200 on the MSF before spending money on gear you might not even like.

Old December 25th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #61
n4mwd

Quote:
I agree up to about 80%. 3rd main requirement is as much impact protection as possible which usually ends up being plastic or some kind of low friction material to minimize the "ripping" effect. Some high end gloves even tie the pinky and ring finger together to prevent the pinky from twisting.
When it comes to gear, any gear, the sky is the limit when it comes to price and quality. I've even seen airbag suits that inflate when the rider gets tossed. But the only gear that is absolutely necessary is a helmet. Gloves, boots and pants don't protect any vital organs, but do help minimize other injuries.

In Nick's case, I think he's better off with a good helmet and reasonable other gear rather than expensive stuff that might force him to cut corners in other areas, such as tires and brakes. He can always upgrade his gear later.

Quote:
I still stand by my first statement. Get through the MSF first and see how you feel. There are riders out there that get their license but never end up with a bike.
In my case, I came within a micron of bailing on biking myself. I got the bike, promptly dropped it practicing, nearly got squashed by a dump truck by countersteering the wrong way, took the MSF and promptly dropped one of their bikes, and came back only to make a wide right turn right into the path of a pickup truck. Fortunately, I didn't get scratched in any of that. The bike had some road rash, bent parts and the lot, but he forgave me and we're both still here and still riding. That was all within a month of getting the bike. I've learned to ride a lot better since then.

Old December 25th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #62
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
But the only gear that is absolutely necessary is a helmet. Gloves, boots and pants don't protect any vital organs, but do help minimize other injuries.
I'd rather be dead than live the rest of my life with disabled hands. Your hands are a vital organ, try living a day without them and see how far you get.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #63
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I'd rather be dead than live the rest of my life with disabled hands. Your hands are a vital organ, try living a day without them and see how far you get.
Amen to that brother ^^^

Old December 25th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #64
n4mwd

Quote:
I'd rather live the rest of my life with a mangled hand than as a veggie. At least then I could get a hook or something to type on the computer.

Being disabled in any way sucks, but catastrophic damage to the hands, such as by getting them run over by a cage, isn't going to be lessened by wearing gloves to any great extent. Wearing gloves mainly protects against road rash.

But then there is this thing:

Its an exoskeleton motorcycle glove that allegedly protects against crushing injuries, abnormal movements and impacts. But at $250, its not a cheapie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired magazine
Knox Handroid, a Kevlar-, kangaroo-hide-, and, yes, exoskeleton-reinforced motorcycle gauntlet. Thermoplastic urethane spines run down the outside of each finger and flex with your digits. To keep the armor in place, a ratchet system cinches 19 strands of stainless steel wire, spreading the pressure across your entire forearm.
Like I said before - the sky's the limit.

Old December 25th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #65
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
If you knew that you were going to go through the MSF and then start riding, I'd go ahead and get a better quality glove than the ones talked above. I got the A*s SP2 gauntlet gloves, yeah they were at a higher price point but they should last me a long time and give me good protection. If you get a pair of gloves, please get gauntlets, yeah they may look dorky, but I can't count the amount of friends and friend of friends that have severe road burn on their wrists from short gloves.

I'd put the money down on something that would protect me, rather than wear an excuse for a glove. Otherwise, if something happened, you would probably be wishing you spent those few extra bucks.

Or if you want to spend a few extra $$ then go for what I have: Alpinestars SP2 gloves $100 and lots of colors

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-2-Gloves.aspx

Do these gloves run large or small? A large ICON glove fits me perfect. Think I should go large on these?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #66
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
@NDspd

I think gauntlets are cool looking

Old December 26th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #67
NDspd

Cool, so do I.

Old December 26th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #68
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Do these gloves run large or small? A large ICON glove fits me perfect. Think I should go large on these?
It kind of depends what you usually wear. I usually wear mediums for my work gloves, so they are generally true to size. Gloves fit differently from brand to brand just like shoes.

Old December 27th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #69
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
Everyone always corrects me so I figure Ill spread the wealth.

I just got free Protons so I cant be upset anymore

Ill be paying it forward soon. I imagine too.

WOW!

I got free neutrons!
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #70
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
WOW!

I got free neutrons!
no electrons? damn dude
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #71
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
WOW!

I got free neutrons!
Do you happen to need any gluons to keep those together? I've a huge stockpile, free shipping!
AFM #676

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #72
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Do you happen to need any gluons to keep those together? I've a huge stockpile, free shipping!
you should know those use clipons.......
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #73
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
When's the MSF? Please tell me you've signed up for it! I'd spend the $200 on the MSF before spending money on gear you might not even like.
It's $275 here....

and

those crazy looking Knox gloves are great from what I've read. It would be a bit hard to buy those since they cost almost quarter of my bike budget

Old December 27th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #74
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
It's $275 here....

and

those crazy looking Knox gloves are great from what I've read. It would be a bit hard to buy those since they cost almost quarter of my bike budget
I almost went with the handroids but decided to go with the Held Phantom gloves after seeing reviews of the two. Either way you would get a great glove and IMO your hands are your most important asset.

Oh yea, the Visor Wiper is sick as ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
you should know those use clipons.......
Missing the point or failing the joke????
AFM #676

Old December 27th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #75
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I could live without a hand but probably not my dick....
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #76
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
best gloves i've tried on so far are my kobe "pro" gloves. they break in beautifully. only negative comments i can make about them is they aren't precurved (just like helds and knox gloves :-/ regardless they break in well and you dont notice them not being precurved) and some of the rivets on the pinky get bunched up (looks thing... you can't feel it when its on)

the one thing i absolutely love about the kobe gloves is the entire glove has a layer of memory foam on the inside which makes it amazingly comfortable. the fingers are well vented also, so not so great in winter but amazing for the other 3 seasons

oh yeah, best part: quality of a $250-300 glove at only $100.

p.s. stingray leather is a gimick.

Old December 27th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #77
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
stingray leather is awesome.
AFM #676

Old December 27th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #78
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:

Dont talk **** on stingray, I love my wallet!

Old December 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #79
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you only like your stingray wallet because it has the stingrays vag on it.

Old December 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #80
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
you only like your stingray wallet because it has the stingrays vag on it.
It's a calcium deposit from its backbone!