ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250 (sold), 2013 CB500F

New rider, I need help with some questions about the bike

Hello peeps! first post here. Been stalking this forum for a while but now I run into some problems and I'm sure some experts here could help )

So I bought a 2007 ninja 250 with 12k miles through craiglist last month and it has been running well so far, I just got into riding but I'm loving it!
Now some newb questions since I don't really know how the bike work mechanically at all. I could just send this bike to a shop but being a college student right now my budget is kind of tight and I was wondering if I could fix the problem by myself, it would benefit both my wallet and my knowledge.

1. Yesterday I rode the bike with no problem but as soon as I got home, turn off engine, get off the bike I saw a long trail of some kinda liquid drop behind my bike. I thought the oil was leaking so I took a look at the oil/oil filter place but I didnt see any. So I decided to put the bike on centerstand and start up the bike again, then immediately some kinda liquid is pouring out (yes, it was fast) of a place directly above the centerstand, right at the beginning of the exhaust. There was so much that it could make a small puddle within seconds. What could've been the problem?
I was still thinking it had something to do with the oil so I decided to change the oil/oil filter which lead to problem #2.

2. oil/oil filter change procedure went smoothly. Drained the oil, replace the new filter and O-ring, only thing left is to pour the new oil in. But after pouring the 1st quart of oil in I realized this 20W-50 motorcycle oil is labeled for Harley davidson V-twin or whatever it was (my dumbass bought the wrong oil), the oil was called mobil something http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06080-.../dp/B0068C4KPK. Will the ninja run ok with harley davidson oil?

Thanks for your help! I actually sold my old car and bought this bike so this will be my main commuting ride, without this bike I would have to take the bus
fr1dayn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #2
inkyben
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250, 2008 zx10, 2003 r6, 2008 187cc drag bike.

Sounds like your over heating and radiator fluid is coming out of the overflow, put your bike on the center stand and check your oil. Also check your coolant in the radiator once the bike cools.
inkyben is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #3
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyben View Post
Sounds like your over heating and radiator fluid is coming out of the overflow, put your bike on the center stand and check your oil. Also check your coolant in the radiator once the bike cools.
What couldve caused the over heating? Ive rode for a month without problems, and on that particular day I only rode for at most an hour from work back home.

but in any case I will be looking into that coolant when I have a chance.

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Binh!

I think Ben may on to something. Do you know how to check for proper level of coolant and oil? And just to be on the safest side of things, make sure it's not coming from your brakes.

Coming out an overflow tube? Did your just fill up to the tip top with gas?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #5
inkyben
ninjette.org member

After any oil filter change, with the bike on the center stand fill the bike with oil up to the top line on the sight window. Crank it over and let it run for about 10 seconds and then shut it back off and re-check the sight window. Over heating can be caused by a few things such as cooling fans not working, not enough coolant or having a high idle setting. All are easy to fix at least. Definitely don't use Harley oil though. I use belray oil on sport bikes at my job but for my own bikes I prefer Valvoline 4T.

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #6
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Binh!

I think Ben may on to something. Do you know how to check for proper level of coolant and oil? And just to be on the safest side of things, make sure it's not coming from your brakes.

Yea I think I can search youtube or the ninja250 wiki for the guide if I can identify the problem.
And I dont think it was my gas tank because at the end of the day I checked and it was only a bit over half tank

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #7
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Quote:
After any oil filter change, with the bike on the center stand fill the bike with oil up to the top line on the sight window. Crank it over and let it run for about 10 seconds and then shut it back off and re-check the sight window. Over heating can be caused by a few things such as cooling fans not working, not enough coolant or having a high idle setting. All are easy to fix at least. Definitely don't use Harley oil though. I use belray oil on sport bikes at my job but for my own bikes I prefer Valvoline 4T.
So should I drain the oil again and switch to the right one?

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #8
inkyben
ninjette.org member

Yeah 20 w50 is a bit thin

Old May 9th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #9
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Binh!

Hi just to make sure I have the oil and stuff right, the radiator fluid or whatever is in the white tank on the side of the bike right? I opened up the bike a bit and saw it. should the liquid inside it stays with the L mark?

As for the oil, when I put the bike on the centerstand, the oil stays on the higher mark on the sightglass?

Thanks!

Old May 9th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Binh !!!

Do you have an experienced friend that could help you identifying those problems?

As for the oil:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Preferred_Brands
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #11
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome to the site, Binh !!!

Do you have an experienced friend that could help you identifying those problems?

As for the oil:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Preferred_Brands
Thanks!

and my friends don't really know about bike mechanically so online forum is my only resource for problems

I'll try to open the bike again soon and take some pics to make sure

Old May 9th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Yes, pics will help us help you.

Check that your oil doesn't have the label explained in the link.

Old May 9th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr1dayn1ght View Post
.... oil/oil filter change procedure went smoothly. Drained the oil, replace the new filter and O-ring, only thing left is to pour the new oil in. But after pouring the 1st quart of oil in I realized this 20W-50 motorcycle oil is labeled for Harley davidson V-twin or whatever it was (my dumbass bought the wrong oil), the oil was called mobil something http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06080-.../dp/B0068C4KPK. Will the ninja run ok with harley davidson oil?

(
Quote:
....Definitely don't use Harley oil though. I use belray oil on sport bikes at my job but for my own bikes I prefer Valvoline 4T.
Quote:
Yeah 20 w50 is a bit thin

If you did put 20w-50 oil in the bike,it is not going to hurt it, regardless of what brand, as long as it is for motorcycles. The Kawasaki service manual and owner's manual actually says you can use 20w-50. It is thicker oil, not thinner. As long as you are riding the bike in above freezing temps it should be fine, especially if it is synthetic like the one you listed. I use 20w-50 in my bike year round and have been for the past few years, however I don't ride in temps below 50 degrees. With the summer coming, the bike may like it, especially if you plan on long trips.

Because the Ninja is a high revving engine, it can shear oil pretty quickly. On colder days and real short trips it may take a little longer for the oil to warm up, but nothing extremely long.

Always check the oil with the bike off the center stand and side stand. The bike should be held vertically when checking the sight glass. The fact that your oil level is that high while on the center stand is an indication that the engine is over full.

Any fluid leak on the ground should be examined to see whether it is oil or coolant. Coolant will mostly appear as watery and transparent, oil will either be black or brown in color.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #14
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

So it happened again.

The liquid came out exactly the same as last time and I think that's coolant. I was in the middle of nowhere so I tried to get home asap.
On the way home, I noticed that the temp gauge went up fast to the red zone when I sit at red light (I think the fan was not running). When I got home I can hear boiling noise inside the engine, then more coolant came out (3rd time). Opened the side fairing and see the empty white coolant bottle.
Also, the liquid came out from somewhere above the small hanging tube at the bottom of the bike, someone said it might be a crack?

I have no clue what to do beside adding new coolant, trying to fix what I can, I'm on a really tight budget right now but I might consider taking it to the shop...PLZ HELP

http://img838.imageshack.us/slidesho...0515202937.jpg

Last futzed with by fr1dayn1ght; May 15th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.

Old May 16th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Looks like coolant to me.

Sounds like you have air in your coolant system. Just filling it to the top of the radiator doesn't always remove all the air, sometimes it's stubborn/vacuum locked. I have found the 08+ ninja's trap air fairly easily, mine was stubborn last time I did it. Here is how I fixed it;

Removed fairings
Removed cap from radiator
Fill with coolant
Run the bike for about 5 mins (with fill cap off the radiator)
Shut off the bike
Put back on fill cap
Roll bike out of garage and "GENTLY" bump front wheel against car tire or tree. (I said gently but no so gently that it is not effective)
Lean bike to left, lean bike to the right
Bump front wheel again
Roll back to garage and back on stand
Remove cap and refill with coolant if needed
Run (with cap off)/ride (with cap on) bike for another 5 mins, a few gental revs will not hurt either.
Add coolant as needed
Repeat till the bike can run for the 5 mins without having to add coolant.

Go for a short ride and check it again.

This is the KY approved method. lol

Pro Tip*
If it's really stubborn... While the bike is off and cool. Get a friend to pour coolant into fill spout on radiator while you loosen the drain screw on the left side of the bike. Sometimes you even have to totally remove the screw to break the vacuum.

I hope it's that simple for you, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old May 16th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
So it happened again.

The liquid came out exactly the same as last time and I think that's coolant. I was in the middle of nowhere so I tried to get home asap.
On the way home, I noticed that the temp gauge went up fast to the red zone when I sit at red light (I think the fan was not running). When I got home I can hear boiling noise inside the engine, then more coolant came out (3rd time). Opened the side fairing and see the empty white coolant bottle.
I have no clue what to do beside adding new coolant, trying to fix what I can, I'm on a really tight budget right now but I might consider taking it to the shop...PLZ HELP
I agree with Chris's post above.

However; I see some rust on the floor, unless it is just a reflection of something else.

If the liquid that is leaking contains some rust, you need to drain all that old coolant, flush the cooling system and refill with fresh coolant and do the air-purging process explained above.

Now, it seems that the fan behind your radiator is not working as it should (it starts close to but under the red mark of the temp's gauge).
You will need to find out why, or your problems will persist.
Easiest thing is to check fuse number 7.

Sorry, but you will need to learn how to do these things; shops will empty your pockets very quickly.

Here are some links that could help:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cooling_system

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...ling_system%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_check_the_fuses

http://faq.ninja250.org/images/a/a4/...matic_-_R4.pdf

Here is your problem:

The coolant is reaching its boiling point (which is not normal), expanding and overflowing that plastic tank under the left side cover.

After the engine cools down, the remaining coolant in that tank is sucked back into the pressurized portion of the system (together with some air, which will make things worse next time); hence, you find it empty.

You must study those links, investigate, find and eliminate the cause of the coolant reaching its boiling point; otherwise, your engine will get badly damaged.

Do not keep going if your bike over-heats again: stop and let it cool down.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Hernan, I totally missed the fan not running part. On my 1992 250, the fan kicks on just as the needle enters the red on the gauge. Interestingly enough, I have never heard the fan on my 2010. lol

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #18
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys! I have been studying the bike online and how to fix it (until 4am last night as I'm just that kind of guy who cant sleep until I ease off my mind )

But to just to clarify something,

Is it bad to have liquid come down from the bottom but NOT from the hanging tube? I'm mostly concerned about this. I met someone when the bike was leaking on the street and he said I need to find out where that leak/crack is before changing the coolant.

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
..........But to just to clarify something,

Is it bad to have liquid come down from the bottom but NOT from the hanging tube? I'm mostly concerned about this. I met someone when the bike was leaking on the street and he said I need to find out where that leak/crack is before changing the coolant.
You are welcome, Binh

Hahaha, .....................I would say that is the least important thing.

The overflow hose could be discharging at a high point among the several hoses that run down in that area.

"Someone" did not know much about your bike; no need to be concerned.

After disconnecting it from the plastic reservoir, you could simply inject some water into the top end of the hose and observe what happens; maybe the hose is broken, but that is kind of one in a long time discharge.

Old May 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #20
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

So I opened up the bike and did some fixing today, all fuses are fine, the fan was working close to red line. All I did was flushed the system twice with distilled water and 1 more with some flush stuff I bought at autoparts, then add a new coolant.

To be honest I'm not even sure if that fixed the problem or not, but I feel like I made the bike just a lillllll bit better...
Attached pic of what came out, look nasty.

I cant put the front and bottom fairing back on because the last owners made the screws so impossible to take out I had to use a screw cutter...so not enough screws left...
But dayummm, I'm digging the half naked look thinking of just putting the mirror and signals somewhere then ride like that...is that bad?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130516_205253.jpg (157.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20130516_195804.jpg (128.8 KB, 3 views)

Old May 16th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Look at that!!!

I am sure your bike loves you just a bit more with fresh, clean coolant. Nothing wrong with riding without fairings as long as all the legal bits are still mounted up.