ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 16th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #1
gxmcdg
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2012

Camshaft Chain Tensioner

I guess mine isnt working properly but Im not sure it is the cause of such noise comming from my engine. Can I test it somehow to avoid buying a new one in vain?

My bike is a Ninja 250R 2012, with 23k km of use (around 15k miles?).

The noise started very silently at 18k km, I couldnt manage to make the mechanics over here to hear it at all. Only when it got really loud the guys started hearing it, and they said me its probably the Camshaft Chain Tensioner.

Are there a way to adjust it in order to prolong its lifetime?

Whats the serial number of the Camshaft Chain Tensioner so I can find this part online?

Thanks
gxmcdg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
The OEM ones are known to go bad from time to time. A lot of people opt to replace it with a manual CCT, you can find them for like $50 bucks. APE I think sells them.

If yours is bad the cam chain side of the will engine sound terrible. Since the OEM one is auto, you can't really do much to test with out having a second one to swap in & out, or a manual one to swap in & out to listen for a difference. You can take it out, and check it out, but I believe then u need to reset it before you put them back in.

If the cam chain tension is really loose bad things can happen fast. Best to get it fixed and not run the bike much.

In short, either buy a replacement OEM or get a manual CCT if you think it is the problem.

You could post a video of the bike running and the sound. Would be useful for a diagnosis

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Try cleaning it, it may buy you some time and you will know for sure if that is your issue. And yes, get an APE manual tensioner.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2014, 02:23 PM   #4
gxmcdg
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks guys. I live in Brazil and its hella hard and expensive to find replacement material for my Ninja. I also am not sure about to buy an "not OEM" part once I pretend to sell the bike quite soon (my arm got injuried badly from an accident), I dont know if it would be smart to waste extra money in an special part if Im selling the bike soon.

Can you guy say me how can I find both the original and the aftermark part online? Whats the exact name and serial number of them, or a direct link for the announce.

You can also help me finding a tutorial of how to remove and remount it? So I could to take a look at the piece and take some pictures to show to you guys.

Old October 17th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxmcdg View Post
...........You can also help me finding a tutorial of how to remove and remount it? So I could to take a look at the piece and take some pictures to show to you guys.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130504

http://www.theyeagergroup.com/2008_n..._clearance.htm
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #6
gxmcdg
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks Motofool. I saw a video of a guy that did something similar to what is seen in one of the tutorials you sent me. I just didnt understand exactly because he didnt show the entire procedure.

I will try and see what I can do. I need to learn how to disassemble the body parts of the bike aswell but I think its easier to find orientation for that once its an usual procedure.

Old October 17th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #7
gxmcdg
ninjette.org newbie

you guys can help me finding the serial number of the original part? I see its not very simple to deal with that for a totally amateur like me, and I have no spare part at all here, in case anything goes wrong. If I damage a single ring or screw my bike wont be usable by a long time.

Can you guys do me one more favor? Im trying to use the search tool to find tutorials to find instructions on how to remove and reassemble the body parts of the 250R, but Im not finding anything. I guess its related with the terms used, Im not used to the english names for the parts and everything so I must be using the wrong words to search for what I want. Id like some help to find videos or instructions with pictures of how to remove the body parts.

Old October 17th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Thanks Motofool. ............

you guys can help me finding the serial number of the original part? I see its not very simple to deal with that for a totally amateur like me, and I have no spare part at all here, in case anything goes wrong. If I damage a single ring or screw my bike wont be usable by a long time.

Can you guys do me one more favor? Im trying to use the search tool to find tutorials to find instructions on how to remove and reassemble the body parts of the 250R, but Im not finding anything............ Id like some help to find videos or instructions with pictures of how to remove the body parts.
You are welcome

It is only a base and a spring and a plunge or piston.
The maintenance work is very simple, you are worrying too much.

This is your Kawasaki part number: 12048-0040

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...2048-0040.html

Check these:
http://www.ronayers.com/CamshaftsTensioner-C429791.aspx

https://www.ninjette.org/wiki/DIY_Fairing_Removal

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

https://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Index

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Removin...k_%26_bodywork

Old October 19th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #9
scorch
ninjette.org guru

Name: ricardo

Motorcycle(s): 250

i suggest getting manual cam tensioner. I have had two of these stock tensioners fail for some reason. I have high miles, but ow with the manual tensioner its much easier to adjust.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #10
gxmcdg
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You are welcome
Thank you for all the help man, you are being really helpful.

I saw all the tutorials and despite not understanding half of what is written due my weak technical english Im sure I can remove them because even if I do make some mistakes I wont break anything. The thing with the Camshaft is that Im a bit scared of doing something wrong and destroy it or the chain when I turn the engine on, after the adjustment. Are there more information elsewhere about the procedure? Videos are welcome, it will help to see the whole procedure. That together with all the text you linked me will be enough to help me doing it without destroying my bike

Old October 27th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #11
gxmcdg
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch View Post
i suggest getting manual cam tensioner. I have had two of these stock tensioners fail for some reason. I have high miles, but ow with the manual tensioner its much easier to adjust.
Where can I find these ones to my bike? Or automatic ones not built by Kawasaki? At the beginning of this thread somebody suggested me to get an aftermarket one. What are the good ones?

Old October 27th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Thank you for all the help man, you are being really helpful.

I saw all the tutorials and despite not understanding half of what is written due my weak technical english Im sure I can remove them because even if I do make some mistakes I wont break anything. The thing with the Camshaft is that Im a bit scared of doing something wrong and destroy it or the chain when I turn the engine on, after the adjustment. Are there more information elsewhere about the procedure? Videos are welcome, it will help to see the whole procedure. That together with all the text you linked me will be enough to help me doing it without destroying my bike
The only way to break the cam chain is by putting too much pressure on it.
The spring is what puts the pressure on the guide and then on the chain.

One way to do it wrong is liberating the spring before the base has been completely screwed down to touch the face of the cylinder.
If you completely screw those two exterior bolts first, and then release or liberate the internal spring, you cannot do any damage.

You are welcome

Old October 27th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #13
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

We have been making that cam chain tensioner for YEARS. Thats how our business got started many many many years ago... You will not have an issue with fitment or operation with an APE Tensioner. Its considered an upgrade, not a replacement
APEmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #14
gxmcdg
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
The only way to break the cam chain is by putting too much pressure on it.
The spring is what puts the pressure on the guide and then on the chain.

One way to do it wrong is liberating the spring before the base has been completely screwed down to touch the face of the cylinder.
If you completely screw those two exterior bolts first, and then release or liberate the internal spring, you cannot do any damage.

You are welcome
Nice!

What happens if I replace the spring by a identical one? Will the CCT good as new?

Old October 27th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #15
gxmcdg
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEmike View Post
We have been making that cam chain tensioner for YEARS. Thats how our business got started many many many years ago... You will not have an issue with fitment or operation with an APE Tensioner. Its considered an upgrade, not a replacement
thanks for the reply Mike. How can I manage to buy one directly with you guys? For my 2012 Ninja 250? A friend of mine is going to Miami in november and I want him to receive this part in his hotel and bring it to me. But I dont want to waste too much money on it once Im seriously thinking about to sell my bike before the end of the year.

Old October 27th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Nice!

What happens if I replace the spring by a identical one? Will the CCT good as new?
Yes, but you don't need to replace the spring; just clean and lubricate the whole thing so the plunge can slide out easily under the pressure of the spring, putting tension on the cam chain.

If you are going to sell it, that is all it takes to make the ticking go away.

Old October 27th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #17
gxmcdg
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Yes, but you don't need to replace the spring; just clean and lubricate the whole thing so the plunge can slide out easily under the pressure of the spring, putting tension on the cam chain.

If you are going to sell it, that is all it takes to make the ticking go away.
amazing. I gonna do it but I wont sell the bike without changing it for a new one unless the reconditioned get as good as a new one. Not fair