ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old August 13th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #361
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
a full report / review of Palmer will be expected.
I got you yo! This place deserves it's own thread but... give me some time and you will not be disappointed, quality takes time ya see?!?!?!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #362
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I got you yo! This place deserves it's own thread but... give me some time and you will not be disappointed, quality takes time ya see?!?!?!
all I want to know is if it's worth a 20hr drive one way?
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #363
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
You tell me.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #364
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Hmmm.... that is a pretty long haul my good man. Is it worth it? I think so, but only barely for your average track day guy. If you really love tracks, then absolutely without a doubt it is worth the travel. As with anything extreme, you may love it or hate it with a passion. This track is not your average place and I feel it fits in that category of love it, or hate it. If you love large, sudden elevation changes and blind corners, this is your track. If you don't like those things, steer clear of here.

Also, the videos and pictures don't do it any justice whatsoever. Cresting the mountain just before turn 6, then flying down whiskey hill into the "shot glass" must be felt in person, your literally inches from the tire wall on the inside.

If you wanna go sometime in the future, post up. If you can get with a group of friends, then the experience is 100% better. If I can make it, I will do my best to be there.

EDIT: This is... as Tony says, a "mancation" track. Take a week off, take your time traveling here so you arrive fresh. Ride for 2 days, then take your time home. The travel + riding was a bit much to cram into 4 days, a fifth day to split as needed would have been great planning on my part.

Old August 13th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #365
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

pics and video never do elevation justice.

@ttd
I looked in your FAQ. Whats your minimum age (with a comp lisc.) for Palmer?

Old August 13th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #366
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
EDIT: This is... as Tony says, a "mancation" track. Take a week off, take your time traveling here so you arrive fresh. Ride for 2 days, then take your time home. The travel + riding was a bit much to cram into 4 days, a fifth day to split as needed would have been great planning on my part.
This, absolutely.

Riding is a lot more fun if you're not exhausted from the trip.

Old August 13th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #367
ttd
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): CBR600rr

Quote:
pics and video never do elevation justice.

@ttd
I looked in your FAQ. Whats your minimum age (with a comp lisc.) for Palmer?
I allow, but discourage racers that are at least 16

This is not a racetrack and the rider must be mature enough to understand that fact.
ttd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #368
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttd View Post
I allow, but discourage racers that are at least 16

This is not a racetrack and the rider must be mature enough to understand that fact.
ok, thanks.
the track will be well seasoned before we get to ride it in a few years.

Old August 13th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #369
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
tough question, it's better than jennings but the main point of jennings is that it's the only track that can really be ridden properly in the dead of winter (road atlanta and barber maybe?) and not that it's an amazing track

this track is the 4th best track that I've ridden on (due to lack of facilities, the track itself is fantastic) and is tied for my 3rd favorite. It's in direct competition with tracks like VIR N, Mid-Ohio, and Shenandoah(Summit Point) for me and those are my top tier tracks. So it beats Jennings GP, Thunderbolt(NJMP), Lightning(NJMP), Summit main(Summit Point), NCCAR, and VIR S which are all still fantastic tracks

Just wait til @csmith12 's video comes up, this place is truly special and has the potential to become one of america's great riders tracks though it will never be a true racetrack for reasons of safety as well as the lack of ability to put up stands for spectators

Old August 14th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #370
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

A few of my fav pics! I wish I could have taken more. :\

Notice the headstone!

Ummmm.... our pit neighbor tried to do some additional landscaping

The shot glass apex (turn 7)

A little piece of KY was left behind on the exit of turn 1, at least it wasn't on the race line

Getting ready to dive in and secret photo of Jay's manflops. lol

Don't hit these

Full album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/134728...57654905467844

Last futzed with by csmith12; August 14th, 2015 at 08:56 AM.

Old August 14th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #371
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

1st – I would like to thank Tony for another great couple of days at the track. Once again your presence in the paddock helping and being friendly with your riders and family is a credit your org and adds a personal touch that you don't find very often. You and your staff make it a safe trip when traveling 800+ miles each way to come ride with your group. I would be more than happy to bring as many friends as I can to convoy up your way anytime for some good riding. In fact, Kevin and I will be back again and at least 2 others is already planning to tag along and more will follow me.

Thank you all for pitting and sharing some track time with Kevin and myself, it was a great time and great riding with each of you. Palmer is amazing but experiencing it with friends is what pushes it over the top. I held back my pace quite a bit to play nice in yellow group and be safe but I did get a chance to up the pace a few times. It really wasn’t really my best riding, I was constantly tight on the bars and never really felt comfortable on the bike. While the pics look good and all, I know what I should look like and I don’t see it. Now that I have a better idea of what this track is about and can plan the travel better, maybe next time I will feel it more.

The trip was long but worth every mile I hauled. The track was unlike anything I have ever ridden. It’s like it was designed by a 15yr old playing roller coaster tycoon one Sat. morning. (track review pending) But being there with friends made the trip and experience one of the best in all my trips to any track. I enjoyed our on track time to especially see the progress ya’lls have made. Super stoked that I finally got to ride with the guys and even Tony too!

Kevin says: Thanks to everyone for making this a great trip. It’s my favorite track ever and will go back anytime, just say when.

Mainditory pose

Special notes :
Jay learned to love an Italian. Lol His riding in the wet was spectacular on his 250. I saw a very different rider than what I had seen at Thompson. Smooth, in control and a much calmer rider. The smile he had from dragging a knee made my whole trip. I was able to get on track with him for a session or two on the last day. Us both on 250’s out there passing bigger bikes in the wet and laughing all the way was priceless. (video pending)

Ant and his lovely wife: OMG… the food and good laughs in the paddock. I didn’t get to see much of Ant’s wife’s on track riding but from what little I did see and hear (throttle) was great. From the side of the track, I saw smooth lines and heard nice throttle rolls. Wish I could have seen more. Ant’s riding was spot on and his lines where very good. With a little tweaking here and there, he was pushing faster laps with each session. (video pending) Now if he can get the ergo’s and suspension to his liking, faster laps with good technique will come even easier.

Andrew: His conservatism strikes again and he missed a 2nd afternoon of good riding once the rain ended. But he is right, your head has to be in the game. Full disclosure: Kevin didn’t ride the second day for the same reasons. Anyway, I got to ride with Andrew a couple of sessions and he underrates his skills. While he focuses on pace so much, he rides with a smoothness with the bike and track that not many have (including myself). From the very start of following him, I could see that he was completely comfortable at his pace. (video pending) Once he masters the quick turn, things will change bigtime!

Ben: Lemme tell ya’lls! Ben is a 100% different rider than what I saw just this Feb. He has made tremendous progress in both pace and form. Crazy guy rode in a downpour stayed in gear all day wet to ride the dry afternoon sessions just like it was no big thang. Lol This time around Ben was quieter in the paddock but I could tell the same fun dood was in there. It’s always cool to have him around in the paddock.

Finally, it’s times like these that make me realize, I got nothing…. But I got soooooo much…. I truly enjoyed seeing all the progress you all have made. To be present when riding milestones are made is what drives me to do what I do. You guys did all the real work and deserve all the credit. I just enjoyed the ride with ya. Whether it be to drag a knee for the first time, to “feel it” when a rider finally feels the bike being your slave to the corner or to feel the bike respond instantly to a real quick flick input to the bar, it’s all the same to me in the end. While I didn’t come to coach, helping out where I can will always be a part of the track for me.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #372
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

I think the only track time i will do next year will be if the group decides to go to Mid-O, and if you guys return. Got a wedding to plan and all that, but i cant miss out on these events. This and the Dragon trip with my friends were the best weekends of my summer.

Old August 14th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #373
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Jay, I have learned yo... commit to nothing unless the family is taken care of first.

@Ya'lls
But if ya'lls come to Mid-O, I will roll out the red carpet for ya's.

What you get:
A beautiful, fully developed track and paddock facilities complete with hot showers, to 4 story observation tower, bridges to the infield, electric and air in every garage.

Free coffee erry morn' - on Mid-O
A cold drink in your hand between every session - on Mid-O
Free lunch erry day - on Mid-O
Kick ass coaching no matter how hard the question - on Mid-O
Free t-shirt - on Mid-O

A cold drink in your hand all night long - on me
A garage for every bike - on me
Gas for the bikes - on me
All out trackside gourmet services (eggs and bacon/sausage breakfast, steak and shrimp dinners) - on me
Tech your bike under your ezup - on me
Pit bike to wheelie, crash or just ride around the paddock, photo areas or to the restroom, lol - on me

#throwitup

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #374
Bigballsofpaint

We gave ourselves over a year and a half to save for the wedding for a reason It will all be taken care of my good man!

Old August 14th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #375
ttd
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): CBR600rr

Quote:

@Ya'lls
But if ya'lls come to Mid-O, I will roll out the red carpet for ya's.
What is Mid O like around October 10th?

Is it too cold? Shut down?

I would consider it for "Mancation" next year. (there's a story behind that name, but all are invited)

(each year, after the TTD Trackday season is over, we do a "travelling trackday" to some other place.)

Here is the link to this year's event to NC Bike, where we rent the whole track just for us (about 30 riders... 2 groups)... Anyone on here is welcome to come also.

However, we have also just brought our group to someone else's trackday... kind of like you all did coming up to Palmer.

http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...g-trackday.htm
ttd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #376
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttd View Post
What is Mid O like around October 10th?

Is it too cold? Shut down?

I would consider it for "Mancation" next year. (there's a story behind that name, but all are invited)

(each year, after the TTD Trackday season is over, we do a "travelling trackday" to some other place.)

Here is the link to this year's event to NC Bike, where we rent the whole track just for us (about 30 riders... 2 groups)... Anyone on here is welcome to come also.

However, we have also just brought our group to someone else's trackday... kind of like you all did coming up to Palmer.

http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...g-trackday.htm
I am coaching next week and I will get you all the info via pm. Mid-O is still fully operational in early Oct. and with good weather normally. They do rent the track to small groups under a corporate/private event umbrella. Lemme see what I can work up for ya. Also, I got another idea as well to lessen the burden on ya to get Mid-O secured for X number of riders. Let me toss the idea out and see if they bite.

So... now that business is taken care of, who wants to go to NC Bike?

Old August 14th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #377
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
^ I'm not in due to cost but NC Bike is fun as hell, I've done 3 races there (2 endurance and one sprint) on my 300 and it is a fantastic track. Plenty of grip, tons of passing lines and great runoff. I can't think of many tracks that are better to safely improve a rider's skillset.

btw, if you run times on your 250 let me know if you get lower than a 1:44 as that's what I've run there. I'll get lower times the next time I go for sure as every lap I go just a bit faster. Afaik the fastest that has been seen on a 250/300 was a 1:38 but that was elbow dragging pace

Old August 16th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #378
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

First video done and uploading.

I will only publish your video here with your consent. Please let me know if you want your video linked, otherwise it will only be sent to your inbox.

I have video of the following;
15min session with Andrew
Various laps with Ant
Various laps with Jay
A couple of fast laps me alone
Various laps from Kevin's cam

Old August 16th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #379
adouglas
Cat herder

Permission granted. Thanks!!!!

Old August 16th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #380
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Oh, I think I got a bit of Ben before my cam died.

Old August 16th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #381
Bigballsofpaint

You can obviously post anything of me!

Old August 16th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #382
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Permission granted. Thanks!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
You can obviously post anything of me!

@Mr. Fist - Your vid is about 15mins long.
@Jay - I got day 2 of you, just over 5 mins during the wet sessions, wish we could have got some dry stuff from day 1.

Ya'lls get the raw vid, I didn't doctor it up in any way. Ya'lls make yourselves look good.

Old August 16th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #383
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

@adouglas

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old August 16th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #384
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

@Bigballsofpaint

YAY!!!! 250's

Old August 16th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #385
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Oh, I think I got a bit of Ben before my cam died.
I'm always good with any footage of mine hitting youtube and ninjette, it's unfortunate the cam died but I'd love to see that footage

Old August 17th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #386
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Non disclosure notice

Chris,
You have permission to post any video you may have of me except for when I was in the Porto Potty! My wife also said you can post any video of her (if you have any) and Zoe gave her thumbs up also!

I did some work on the bikes yesterday and discovered that my wife did indeed touch her kick stand mount down! She was leaning over hard on both sides of her bike and dragged hard parts Next year is going to be expensive, she wants a "Pine star" full leather suit with knee pucks and an RC390 plus a membership with Tony's Track Days! I may have to get a part time job just to keep her in fresh tires

I also repaired my friends Honda Super Hawk. He wants to hit Palmer on Sept 7th so the last trip may not have been my last this year. I will let everyone here know if we are really going (he has backed out before) once he purchases his spot. I am really broken up about having to go back to that track again so soon!

Last futzed with by Ducati999; August 17th, 2015 at 04:54 AM. Reason: to add "Pine star"
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #387
adouglas
Cat herder

Hahaha....

In mine go to 6:30. I almost lost it in Turn 7. You can see at least two, if not three, steering corrections through the corner.

Kids, do NOT do this....

And yeah, Chris, you're right. My steering really is slow.

Old August 17th, 2015, 05:30 AM   #388
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Hahaha....

In mine go to 6:30. I almost lost it in Turn 7. You can see at least two, if not three, steering corrections through the corner.

Kids, do NOT do this....

And yeah, Chris, you're right. My steering really is slow.
It wasn't the worst I've ever seen, just looked like you were trying to drag knee and that distracted you from the goal of being smooth by adding a goal of tipping in more mid-corner. Really this isn't that bad if you're off throttle but once you start rolling on it can get sketchy. I haven't really felt an issue on my 300 but that doesn't put out anything remotely near the kind of power your gsxr does

you will be amazed what quicker steering will do for your riding, you'll start seeing lines that didn't exist before. Lines that are both faster and safer to take

Old August 17th, 2015, 06:07 AM   #389
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Me - Some dry laps from day 1.

Sorry to the rider at the end of the straight... that pass was kinda close.

Old August 17th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #390
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
It wasn't the worst I've ever seen, just looked like you were trying to drag knee and that distracted you from the goal of being smooth by adding a goal of tipping in more mid-corner. Really this isn't that bad if you're off throttle but once you start rolling on it can get sketchy. I haven't really felt an issue on my 300 but that doesn't put out anything remotely near the kind of power your gsxr does
I thought Mr. Fist was trying too hard to get a knee down at first too, but after a lap it became clear that he wasn't. Since he rides pretty conservatively, his throttle roll isn't aggressive enough to get the right weight distro. With the extra load on the front, the bike wants to lean more throughout the corner (ie in his words "fall over" more). You can tell this because I run up on his rear on exit every so often. Since we both have near the same entry speed, why does his bike seem to be twitchy from time to time, yet mine is stable on its line? See... kinda subtle, it took me a lap or so to identify it.

From our chats, this was the first time he had focused on quick turning, sure... he lost a bit of his smoothness but it will come back. Once the foundation is there, he should have a faster pace without even knowing it happened and a more aggressive throttle roll should come along as bonus. Not much is more confidence inspiring than knowing you're on a good line and it does wonders for your throttle control.

Old August 17th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #391
adouglas
Cat herder

Agent Smith is right. Wasn't trying to get knee down...

Old August 17th, 2015, 12:19 PM   #392
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Just what it looked like, would be a good place to do it though

Old August 17th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #393
adouglas
Cat herder

No question... Chris is Agent Smith.

It's in the eyes.

Old August 17th, 2015, 01:58 PM   #394
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

hahahahahahaha ^^^ indeed that is how I look.

This is how I feel.

Old August 17th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #395
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
that's funny, we feel the same

Old August 17th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #396
adouglas
Cat herder

Yeah, but Agent Smith can do this.

Old August 17th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #397
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I'll just go superman then

Old August 18th, 2015, 10:57 AM   #398
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Well Guys,
I had the wife convinced I had to return to Palmer one last time this year (Sept 7th) to "Guide" my friend Mike thru his first ever track day! Everyone has an easier time their first trip if they are with someone who has done track days before right? Well I got all excited after fixing his bike and him telling me he would be going on the 7th. Well he just told me he will be leaving for Florida on the 7th and will have to do his first track day next year! Now I dont think my wife will tell me I cant go just because Mike bailed out last min but should I bother loading and unloading all the gear and bikes and other essentials just for a fifth day at Palmer? Or do I just call it an end to a spetacular season and pack all the bikes into the heated basement untill the spring melt arrives? I will be riding in the Philippines--it just wont be Palmer. I will leave it up to Mr. Fist-- if he joins me I will go but I am not going solo!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2015, 05:38 PM   #399
adouglas
Cat herder

FYI for those who will be riding with TTD next year....

Here's the deal with memberships for 2016. I'm signing up... it worked well for me this year.

Tony just posted this over at bandofriders.

Quote:
For those that missed the announcements at the latest riders meetings.

A TTD Membership for 2016 costs just $425 right now (cash price... $450 otherwise)

This price is in effect until the last trackday this year (Mancation)

Remember, the basic membership plan is that you save $100 per regular trackday (doesn't count Non Sportbike days, or dealer days)... so if you do 5 trackdays you are saving money. Plus you save money on tires!

I don't know how many dates we'll have next year, and there may also be other payment plans (like 4 packs or 6 packs, etc).... But there is no risk to getting the membership now.

Once the schedule comes out and the other payment plans too - you will have 30 days to switch or cancel for no charge.

So if another plan makes more sense for you... no problem... we apply the payment toward that.

Don't like the schedule we've put together? No problem, get a full refund or leave the money in your bank and use it for individual dates that fit your needs.

PS: A huge THANK YOU to all those that have supported TTD... especially this year. It's been a very tough year, but we did not cancel any dates and we're looking forward to a great 2016!

Old August 23rd, 2015, 12:40 PM   #400
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Git some Mr. Fist!!!!

@Ant, don't think I forgot about you. I got your video rendering and a long upload will follow. Sorry for the delay, just got things goin' on. I will admit, I could have done a better job on the edit, but crashing sucks....

Hope the vid helps you in your future track adventures. Stay tuned... ETA 6 or so hours.