ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 18th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #1
milhouse
ninjette.org member

Name: milhouse

Motorcycle(s): 04 Ninja 250

Double turning lanes

So for some reason, all the cagers seemed especially keen on killing me today. Multiple near misses.

The worst was at a double turn lane (turning right). I took the left turn lane and as I was completing the turn the pickup truck on my right decided that he'd make a three lane turn in order to make a left at the next light. So he turns over three lanes, squeezing me over. I was able to gas it and get past him, but it was close.

I was wondering when there is a double turn lane (either left or right), what lane do you guys usually take? Is it always best to take the inside lane to minimize the risk of cagers turning into your lane?

Also, for those in CA do you filter in this scenario? I usually only filter through when I'm going straight.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #2
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I like the inside lane, that way no one is attempting to turn wide into my lane.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Vergil
Laser Quest

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Black Ninja 250r

Same for me usually. Wherever I can get the most space away from cars. Too often though has someone tried to merge into me and I do the same to get away.

Three times when I've used my horn to signal them they slam on the brakes and veer erratically into other lanes endangering other drivers. So I don't use my horn that often
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
I like the inside lane, that way no one is attempting to turn wide into my lane.
I find that with dual left-turn lanes, the people in the outer lane are MORE likely to cross the line into my lane.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #5
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I find that with dual left-turn lanes, the people in the outer lane are MORE likely to cross the line into my lane.
Yep I have had more ppl cut the corner and come in to my lane then ones that have gone wide.
fishdip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #6
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Depends on where I need to be after the turn. There's this double turn I always take after work (turning right) and after the turn I need to be in the far left lane so I'm always in the outside one. One day at the turn, I had a hunch and I honestly don't know why but I had a feeling the guy on the inside turn lane was gonna go straight. So I took it slow when the light turned green... AND I WAS FRIGGIN RIGHT!!
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Ain't that the truth. This is my 2nd pet peeve of cagers. They start in the far lane and somewhere during the turn they become owners of the entire road and choose whatever lane they want. This behavior seems to get worse the closer you get to the mall or grocery store.

For me, I am nearly always far left or far right. I will take the curb/sidewalk before oncoming traffic any day. The answer to this question is... what lane offers the rider their best escape route.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
.........The answer to this question is... what lane offers the rider their best escape route.
The Golden Rule !!!

For the case of the OP, I would add:

Move faster than others.

Stay away from others' blind spots.

Use your peripheral view to keep track of others' position and intentions.

Those are things that have helped me in the roundabout that I frequently have to ride.

Last futzed with by Motofool; April 19th, 2013 at 06:33 AM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
This.

Every day I pass through a double left turn lane on my way home. The number-one thing I do is get ahead of the car next to me so he can see me. Even on a 250 you've got a big acceleration advantage. Use it... put yourself off the front fender of the guy next to you... inside or out, right or left, doesn't matter. The key is to put yourself where they can't miss seeing you.

In my experience they'll let you slot in in front of them if you need to.

Make sure to thank them with a wave.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #10
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I almost always take the left of the two lanes because its ether empty or has less traffic. I also expect every car in the right lane to cut across my lane as they proceed through the turn so I make sure to avoid them.

It's nothing new and certainly nothing to lose sleep over. Over 90% of motorist car, bike, truck, what ever don't know how to drive or ride and it isn't going to change any time soon.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #11
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
I usually find the opposite where I am! LOL! Usually the inner person either mis-gauges the angle or they just don't seem to care about going into the other lane (don't realize it's 2 turning lanes)... I'd say a good 8-9 times out of 10, this happens... Whether I am on a bike or in my car!

Old April 19th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
So for some reason, all the cagers seemed especially keen on killing me today. Multiple near misses.

The worst was at a double turn lane (turning right). I took the left turn lane and as I was completing the turn the pickup truck on my right decided that he'd make a three lane turn in order to make a left at the next light. So he turns over three lanes, squeezing me over. I was able to gas it and get past him, but it was close.

I was wondering when there is a double turn lane (either left or right), what lane do you guys usually take? Is it always best to take the inside lane to minimize the risk of cagers turning into your lane?

Also, for those in CA do you filter in this scenario? I usually only filter through when I'm going straight.
In California, the risk is minimized (for me anyway) by filtering to the front and being first off the line. Which lane at that point does not matter. I take these kind of turns daily. In a turn with two right turn lanes you can filter up either between the lanes or to the left of the leftmost turn lane. Vice versa in a turn with two left hand turns. You can lawfully lane share to the right and pass on the right if the lane being shared is a controlled left turn.

If you assume that the car will go into your path regardless of the lane, filtering and being first when the light turns green is really the only safe option.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #13
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

i do it every day that I commute.

dual left turn lane, the road you turn onto doesn't have any lane markings, and the outside lane (right), also goes straight and right, but 90% of the cars turn left (grocery store is straight).

since I have to take an immediate right, I'm usually on the outside. I slot myself between cars so that in case someone does run wide, I can avoid them. The cars run wide about 50% of the time since there's no lane markings.

Whenever the left lane is open, no cars in front, I take that and just accelerate past everyone.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #14
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
most of the left turn lanes in my area go from 2 lanes to a 3 lane road, i have noticed that many many people suck at following the lines no matter what i am operating. I like turning along the right portion of the lane in my F-250, makes people go wide.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #15
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

FWIW, I never filter to a turn lane. I just figure that if I start moving and turn, and the car wants to take the turn a bit wider, then could go right into me. I guess I also figure that I accelerate a little slower into a turn than when going straight.

Not saying it can't be done safely, just don't think that it would be safe for me to do it, and I almost always filter lights.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 12:37 AM   #16
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

If you normally turn in the left lane, you'll notice the right lane drivers over-steer often.

If you normally turn in the right lane, you'll notice the left lane drivers under-steer often.

Such is life on the roads. Luckily, we are on motorcycles and have plenty of lane to move around usually.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM   #17
milhouse
ninjette.org member

Name: milhouse

Motorcycle(s): 04 Ninja 250

Thanks for great advice guys.

When possible, I'll just start using whichever lane leaves me closest to sidewalk. Getting run into the sidewalk definitely sounds nicer than oncoming traffic.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:44 AM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I split the middle
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:07 PM   #19
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Wait its ok to split when there is a solid white line? Why aren't they clear about the lane sharing rules around here
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:14 PM   #20
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

I was stuck in traffic (like dead stop traffic) a few times in the past few weeks and saw bikes riding "filtering" on the shoulder... Apparently the 'rules' are more like guidelines and up for interpretation...

Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:25 PM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Yea don't go on the shoulder. The only time I go on the shoulder is on those freeway ramps that are heavily banked and I only do it when traffic is stopped
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM   #22
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Yea don't go on the shoulder. The only time I go on the shoulder is on those freeway ramps that are heavily banked and I only do it when traffic is stopped
Oh, I know, but these clowns apparently didn't... One of those "where is a cop when you need one" moments...

Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM   #23
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Yep I have had more ppl cut the corner and come in to my lane then ones that have gone wide.
I experienced this as well.
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:02 PM   #24
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknyght View Post
Oh, I know, but these clowns apparently didn't... One of those "where is a cop when you need one" moments...
Don't worry about it, they will learn their lessons soon enough.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote