ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 31st, 2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Casual Motorcycling: Is it really inherently riskier?

The short answer is yes, the long answer is no.

I'm no veteran of motorcycling; I'm an experienced n00b. If someone asked me, "Is motorcycling inherently more dangerous than driving a car?" I'd respond with a No. Some of you may find this ironic considering my accident, had I been in a car, I would have suffered 0 injuries. But I'm not the only one in that particular setup. Had I been in a car and impacted the other car the same way, that girl could have been seriously injured or killed. That's a heavy burden to carry. I can't imagine what it feels like to put someone in the hospital or worse, take their life from them. If I could go back and choose, motorcycle or car, I'd take the motorcycle again, even though my life is currently a shithole, I don't think its as bad as seriously injuring or killing another person.

Which brings me to my main point, is it really riskier? To yourself yes, you are taking on more risks of injuring yourself, many of which can be prevented by good gear, but you are also removing risk, the risk that you will injure another human being. IMO the total risk of you on a motorcycle is decreased (Yes we've all seen the motorcycle lodged in a car, pretty sure that guy isn't a casual rider).

There is another portion to this riskiness I want to bring up. When I get on a bike, I don't feel any less safe. I understand an accident on a bike will **** you up way worse than being in a car would (I understand it far more than most people) but I also feel more in control when on a bike. I have better sight of cars around me, I can position myself more safely, my reaction times are improved (I think this is associated with the higher brain function required to operate a motorcycle) there are less distractions, no drinks no texting no eating no music no fiddling with the AC, there is only focusing on the road. I truly feel I am less likely to be involved in an accident while on a bike than in a car.

So Sean, is casual motorcycling an inherently risky activity? No, no its not, because I will never hurt or kill anyone, I'm less likely to get into an accident, and if I do get in an accident I will always wear gear that will minimize most injuries.

Do you feel when you get on a bike you are taking unnecessary risks? Do you feel less safe? Part of this can be due to other drivers, honestly I don't feel like other drivers in my area are all that bad, at least most of them, many are quite considerate of us motorcyclists. I've never ridden in any other state so I can't truly speak to this but I do feel many of us exaggerate how bad of drivers everyone on the road is. Perhaps we are exaggerating to make up for our own lack of control or maybe those drivers really are that bad, I don't know, you tell me
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Replace the word "motorcycling" with "sex" in the title and this thread gets a whole lot more interesting.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 06:45 PM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
So Sean, is casual motorcycling an inherently risky activity?
Interesting that you're asking for my input. I'd say no.

(I know it was a self question)
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4
PKL
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R

Major factor is listening to music. I cannot understand how any motorcycle rider thinks putting earbuds on to listen to music while riding a motorcycle is a good idea. It is a terrible idea. You seem to have the right of it re: that issue.

Ride on!

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:06 AM   #5
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Wow! You surprise me Jiggles! A very interesting and thoughtful post. I didn't have you down as the... thinking type... I guess you've had time too recently.

@PKL: I listen to music while riding. I feel like it actually helps me concentrate better. I avoid music with words.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:07 AM   #6
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I agree, I always seem to feel safer for some reason on the bike than in the car. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but I just do and for many of the same reasons you stated. I'm actually glad to find out that I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:11 AM   #7
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Replace the word "motorcycling" with "sex" in the title and this thread gets a whole lot more interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
The short answer is yes, the long answer is no.

I'm no veteran of sexing; I'm an experienced n00b.
I had done the entire message but I thought it was a little overkill.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
I feel far more in control and alert on my motorcycle than I ever have done in a car. Whether that makes me safer, IDK.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:30 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I take a realistic approach to this;

In any given collision that includes a human body or bodies, one of both can be injured or killed, even at less than walking speed. A rider can run over a child at play in the street or the rider can just smack the side of the car. Who is hurt and how they are hurt is dictated by the situation at hand.

I am no safer than the guy in a car, he is no safer than me. Who is at fault doesn't matter either because that doesn't heal broken bones or raise the dead. After it's all said and done and the metal and glass comes to rest, sorry Jiggles, you don't always get a choice in the matter. Like many things in life, you just are forced to accept it and live on.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:30 AM   #10
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

:%s/motorcycling/sex/g
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

In a bad situation, I am less safe on a motorcycle. It's this realization that makes me more alert, recognize the importance of gear and pushes me to become a better and skilled rider.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM   #12
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Your pointless post is pointless.

Most people have lost the sense of responsibility that comes with driving. It is a privilege to drive, not a right. You shouldn't drive any differently in a car than on a bike. You should be only focusing on the road and other drivers. You should not be drinking or eating. You should not be on the phone or texting. You should be dedicating 100 percent of your resources to driving whether in a car or on a bike. Anything other than 100 percent is reckless.

Motorcycle riding is more dangerous to you, and those around you. Just because you likely won't kill a car driver by hitting them, doesn't mean that they're not going to live the rest of their life feeling guilty. You put more liability at the hands of an idiot by getting on a bike. Some teenager not paying attention can now kill you for what could have been a fender bender.

Drive and ride like nobody sees you. Assume they will hit you. Prepare for it, and ALWAYS have an out, even if that means slowing down such that you could stop to avoid someone pulling out in front of you on a residential street.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:27 PM   #13
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
@dfox: some valid points, but I'm pretty sure you have misunderstood Jiggle's post.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #14
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

This reminds me of a heated discussion I had with some friends that I meant to post a whole back. What do you think?

1) You can't know all the risks on riding a motorcycle.

2) Because you can't see all the risks, you can't be prepared for them.

Since we are talking about risks, I'd like to get everyone's thoughts...
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #15
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

And Jiggles - much respect for this post. I don't know if the crash made you reflect like this... But great post!!
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM   #16
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
@dfox: some valid points, but I'm pretty sure you have misunderstood Jiggle's post.
I see his point, just disagree. I didn't really relate completely back to his post, but... Is it riskier? It completely depends on the rider. Have I avoided accidents on a bike or in a car? Yes. The risk comes down to your preparation, mentally and physically. There is no way to quantify the risk. A person driving a car while texting is no better than a motorcyclist who is preoccupied with other thoughts. It's all about your mindset in the moment. Keep that on track and youll live to ride another day.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Your pointless post is pointless.
Right back atcha buddy
AFM #676

Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #18
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

There are so many intangibles that this kind of question has to comes down to an "All things being equal" kinda thing.....So lets see, all these things are possible when riding a bike or driving a car.......

I can hit a deer in a car or on bike.

I can get rear-ended in a car or on a bike.

I can get t-boned at an intersection in a car or on a bike.

I can have a mechanical failure that forces me off the road at 50mph in a car or on a bike.

Ect., ect., ect,.........

I think the answer is fairly clear.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
^ Agreed, less risky
AFM #676

Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM   #20
dfox
ninjette.org sage

I like to add to internet nonsense when I can... I re-read the post and felt philosophical.

As a lifelong risk taker (backcountry snowboarding, downhill long boarding, bmx racer, surfer, rock climber) riding a motorcycle involves calculating and mitigating your risk at every moment. There are wild cards out there though, like animals, texters, and just plain idiots that raise your own personal risk of injury.

To ignore the anguish caused to your loved ones and the person who might hit you though, is selfish, and that seems to be your thought process, and where i disagree. Just because you have less of a chance of killing someone, doesn't mean you won't scar them for the rest of their life.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM   #21
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

If someone gets hurt by their mistake, that's their issue, not mine. If I get hurt from their mistake, that now is my issue. If I'm driving down the road and someone pulls out infront of me because they didn't do their part, and they end up seriously hurt or more and I walk out unscathed, I'm walking out relatively ok. If you were driving, following the law, and a drunk ran a red and hit you and ended up dying, would you still feel guilty for them dying? Pity for their mistake is not the same as feeling guilt for their mistake.

This is speaking from experience. I've had patients die. I know I did what I could and did nothing to cause them to die, therefor I don't blame myself. But I guess that's a necessary mentality for people in the kind of fields where you see death on a regular basis.

If I do nothing wrong, there's no reason for me to feel guilty.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:59 PM   #22
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Leaving the comfort of my nerd cave is quite risky. All that girl rejection. I needz mah computor and da intarwebz.

But in all seriousness, I guess I'd rather live and enjoy myself than live in fear. I understand that there are risks, but to me it's worth it.

I do feel that distracted drivers are a bigger danger to themselves and others than I am on my bike.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote