ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 18th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Motorcycle tailgating car... best way to deal with it?

This happened to me earlier this afternoon. Here's the situation:

1. I was in my car. I was going about +10 the speed limit in the left lane. The traffic in the center and right lane was fairly heavy, and was going around +15 the speed limit. There is a shoulder on the left side.

2. Motorcycle comes up from behind, and follows me. I attempt to see if I can move over to the right, but everyone on the middle lane is tailgating everyone else, so I was unable to change lanes.

3. Motorcycle then tailgates me. This means I can't slow down, or else he would hit me from behind. He is then in the center lane position.

4. The motorcycle then moves to the extreme left position to the point where I can't see it in my rear view mirror, and I could barely see him in the corner of my side mirror. I move over slightly to the right as much as I could without getting sideswiped.

5. The motorcycle then goes between the yellow line and my car, and blows by me, giving me the digitus impudicus in the process.

Was there a better way to deal with this problem?
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 18th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
You handled it perfectly. I would probly ignore them

Old January 18th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
This happened to me earlier this afternoon. Here's the situation:

1. I was in my car. I was going about +10 the speed limit in the left lane. The traffic in the center and right lane was fairly heavy, and was going around +15 the speed limit. There is a shoulder on the left side.

Best way to avoid this type of problem is;

STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE STUPID!

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #4
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Drive like normal If they hit you its there own dam fault for being stupid.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #5
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

From the California DMV: When being tailgated you should slow down gradually.

Quote:
Most rear end collisions are caused by tailgating. To avoid tailgating, use the “three-second rule”: when the vehicle ahead of you passes a certain point such as a sign, count “one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two, one-thousand-three.” Counting these numbers takes approximately three seconds. If you pass the same point before you finish counting, you are following too closely.

You should allow a four-second or more cushion when:
•Being crowded by a tailgater. Allow extra room ahead, do not brake suddenly. Slow down gradually or merge into another lane to prevent being hit from behind by the tailgater!
Source: http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/scanning.htm
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #6
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Oh and another one of my favorites from lower down the page I quoted above...tap your brakes when being tailgated!
Quote:
Check traffic behind you often to know if you are being tailgated (another driver is following too closely). If you are being tailgated, be careful! Brake slowly before stopping. Tap your brakes lightly a few times to warn the tailgater you are slowing down.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #7
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

If it's a bike move over a little to give them a bit of room & they'll take the first overtake they can
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #8
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
Oh and another one of my favorites from lower down the page I quoted above...tap your brakes when being tailgated!
Screw that lock them brakes up and let them hit you say you saw a squirrel with big nuts that was like weeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Then sue the crap out of them its the mearican way.

Last futzed with by fishdip; January 19th, 2014 at 07:26 AM.
fishdip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
a) slow traffic -> KEEP RIGHT. stay out of the fast lane if you aren't going the fastest/actively making a pass.
b) he was tail gating you so you want to slow down? SPEED UP! or get out of the left lane
c) let the bike pass on the right. there's too much **** on the left. you go to the far left so he can split the two clean lanes.

never ever remain in the fast lane. the fast lane is not for cruising in because you don't feel like being in the other lane. the fast lane is for passing.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 18th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #10
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Going slow in the fast lane. You do not think you were going slow? Look around and do the math. You were in the wrong lane before the bike got stuck behind you.

Tip: If someone passes you on the right, you are in the wrong lane.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #11
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

When I got on the highway on the left, I was actually traveling faster than the center/right lanes until this particular section when I was being tailgated. It was just bad luck (and probably psychology because the speed limit jumps up 10mph in about 1/2mi ahead) that I was all of a sudden the slowest car on the road with no way to get out of the left lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Going slow in the fast lane. You do not think you were going slow? Look around and do the math. You were in the wrong lane before the bike got stuck behind you.

Tip: If someone passes you on the right, you are in the wrong lane.
Tip: If someone passes you on the right going speed limit + 15, chances are that they're going to be nabbed by the laser-gun wielding cop around the blind curve. I knew that particular section I was about to enter often had cops running laser, which is why I didn't go any faster than I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
b) he was tail gating you so you want to slow down? SPEED UP! or get out of the left lane
I tried to get out of the left lane, but when the middle lane has cars tailgating each other and going +15, there was no way I could get into it.

Old January 18th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
When I got on the highway on the left, I was actually traveling faster than the center/right lanes until this particular section when I was being tailgated. It was just bad luck (and probably psychology because the speed limit jumps up 10mph in about 1/2mi ahead) that I was all of a sudden the slowest car on the road with no way to get out of the left lane.
maybe i'm wrong but it sounds like you had opportunity to get to a slow lane early on when you initially entered the highway since you were going faster than the people to the right- and you knew that you didn't want to speed too much because you don't like cops that are common in that area... and so you decided to simply stay in the fast lane until the people in the lanes to your right were going faster, and then because they were going faster than you, you didn't want to get over still? honestly it sounds like you didn't want to be in the fast lane but just kinda stayed in the fast lane for no reason

Old January 18th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #13
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:

Tip: If someone passes you on the right going speed limit + 15, chances are that they're going to be nabbed by the laser-gun wielding cop around the blind curve. I knew that particular section I was about to enter often had cops running laser, which is why I didn't go any faster than I did.

I tried to get out of the left lane, but when the middle lane has cars tailgating each other and going +15, there was no way I could get into it.
It basically sounds like you're a sucky driver. I don't think you should be allowed on the highway. You have a bad attitude and think it's everyone else's fault. Don't make excuses for your suckiness. You're lucky you still have your side mirror (if you even have a clue what I mean).

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #14
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
It basically sounds like you're a sucky driver. I don't think you should be allowed on the highway. You have a bad attitude and think it's everyone else's fault. Don't make excuses for your suckiness. You're lucky you still have your side mirror (if you even have a clue what I mean).
I never said I was a good driver, actually. I'm not trying to make this into a "who is at fault" discussion; it is more of "what should I do if I do end up in the situation". It's like emergency braking; you plan your driving/riding like you don't have to do it, but you have to know how to do it when you do have to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
maybe i'm wrong but it sounds like you had opportunity to get to a slow lane early on when you initially entered the highway since you were going faster than the people to the right- and you knew that you didn't want to speed too much because you don't like cops that are common in that area... and so you decided to simply stay in the fast lane until the people in the lanes to your right were going faster, and then because they were going faster than you, you didn't want to get over still? honestly it sounds like you didn't want to be in the fast lane but just kinda stayed in the fast lane for no reason
The way I typically deal with a group like that going faster than me is to wait until they pass me, then change lanes behind them. That was why I typically will reduce my speed so the group will go by faster. The motorcycle tailgating me basically shot the "reduce my speed" part out of the water, and the fact there are potentially cops in the area didn't allow me to increase my speed.

Old January 18th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #15
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

From my experience, NO ONE in Texas is a good driver.
Case closed.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #16
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
I never said I was a good driver, actually.
Actually to be correct, you never said you were a sucky driver. I just figured it out myself. Now that you agree with me it just confirms it.

Old January 18th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #17
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
From my experience, NO ONE in Texas is a good driver.
Case closed.
What we need is Google's automated cars here. Although, I have no idea how they're going to deal with the sheer number of bicyclists in this town, although with the downfall of Lance Armstrong, I haven't seen as many bicyclists in town.

Old January 18th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #18
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Nobody that lane hogs gets any love from me... Use the fast lane to pass then GTFO!
Please

Last futzed with by JohnnyBravo; January 18th, 2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Bandaid applied
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
3. Motorcycle then tailgates me. This means I can't slow down, or else he would hit me from behind. He is then in the center lane position.

4. ............I move over slightly to the right as much as I could without getting sideswiped.

I believe so:

3. What tailgaters do (bike, truck, whatever) is none of your business. Yes, you could slowdown and even stop if needed. Would you rear end someone because a little bike is following you too close? By being so close and in the center lane position, the biker was trying to communicate to you that he was a moron (the type that flips the bird to anyone for no reason; hence, his opinion about you is worthless).

4. By doing that and inviting an illegal pass (two vehicles sharing one lane), you were creating a dangerous situation. What if the cars on your side do something stupid, or blow a tire, or you need to swerve to avoid a big chunk of debris, exactly at the moment the moron in a hurry is passing you?

Hope you have a different mind set while riding your bike.
Your focus should be far ahead, area from which 90% of danger will come to mess with you.

Knowing what is going on around and behind you is good, but a systematic quick glance should suffice, as long as what you see does not occupy your eyes-attention-processing-decision for more than half a second.

When your bike speedometer is marking 70 mph, you are approaching to those dangers at 100 feet per each second !!! .......... and your bike and you will roll over more than 250 feet to come to a complete stop, if you are proficient at braking !!!

I hope those numbers give you the reason to attentively see forward and the reason for statistics on rear ended bike accidents to be as small as 2%.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #20
Whiskey

Quote:
I never said I was a good driver, actually. I'm not trying to make this into a "who is at fault" discussion; it is more of "what should I do if I do end up in the situation". It's like emergency braking; you plan your driving/riding like you don't have to do it, but you have to know how to do it when you do have to do it.

The way I typically deal with a group like that going faster than me is to wait until they pass me, then change lanes behind them. That was why I typically will reduce my speed so the group will go by faster. The motorcycle tailgating me basically shot the "reduce my speed" part out of the water, and the fact there are potentially cops in the area didn't allow me to increase my speed.
Don't go slow in the fast lane

Lane 1 - Normal driving (You should be here with the rest of the incompetent drivers)
Lane 2 - faster driving / overtaking (for competent drivers only - you shouldn't be here)
Lane 3 - overtaking the fast drivers (Don't even ****ing think of it)

Old January 18th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #21
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I believe so:

3. What tailgaters do (bike, truck, whatever) is none of your business. Yes, you could slowdown and even stop if needed. Would you rear end someone because a little bike is following you too close? By being so close and in the center lane position, the biker was trying to communicate to you that he was a moron (the type that flips the bird to anyone for no reason; hence, his opinion about you is worthless).

4. By doing that and inviting an illegal pass (two vehicles sharing one lane), you were creating a dangerous situation. What if the cars on your side do something stupid, or blow a tire, or you need to swerve to avoid a big chunk of debris, exactly at the moment the moron in a hurry is passing you?

Hope you have a different mind set while riding your bike.
Your focus should be far ahead, area from which 90% of danger will come to mess with you.

Knowing what is going on around and behind you is good, but a systematic quick glance should suffice, as long as what you see does not occupy your eyes-attention-processing-decision for more than half a second.

When your bike speedometer is marking 70 mph, you are approaching to those dangers at 100 feet per each second !!! .......... and your bike and you will roll over more than 250 feet to come to a complete stop, if you are proficient at braking !!!

I hope those numbers give you the reason to attentively see forward and the reason for statistics on rear ended bike accidents to be as small as 2%.
Luckily, when I'm on my bike, I put a lot more distance between myself and the next vehicle; I usually count about 8 seconds worth of space between myself and the vehicle in front of me. I don't feel comfortable with 2 or 4 seconds like most folks seem to use. Riding a motorcycle has taught me the value of looking as far ahead as possible, so I guess I did learn how to drive a little bit better in that fashion. When I saw the motorcyclist tailgating me, I was freaking out because if I had to slow down, he definitely had no room to stop if he failed to swerve.

Even though it technically wouldn't be my fault for insurance and liability purposes, it would suck if the motorcyclist was injured because he rearended into my car, regardless of the use of the digitus impudicus.

Old January 18th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #22
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.............Even though it technically wouldn't be my fault for insurance and liability purposes, it would suck if the motorcyclist was injured because he rearended into my car, regardless of the use of the digitus impudicus.
I see and respect what you considered.
Maybe you are too nice to like driving down here in Florida ........ way too many non-polite drivers.

Old January 18th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #23
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
1. I was in my car. I was going about +10 the speed limit in the left lane. The traffic in the center and right lane was fairly heavy, and was going around +15 the speed limit.
There is no excuse for a rider to be tailgating you, that's just silly on their part.

Uggg... Sorry brah but if your in the left lane and getting passed then you know...

What do you do? Turn on your right turn signal. It flashes... just like tapping the brake, which is kinda dumb too. Anyway, using your turn signal will do 2 things; alert the rider of your intention and maybe even keep their road rage in check and alert the drivers in the lane to the right you want over. Merge when safe and let the rider pass.

And as always, "Put as much distance as possible between you and stupidity. You will live a longer and happier life." - csmith12
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #24
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
There is no excuse for a rider to be tailgating you, that's just silly on their part.

Uggg... Sorry brah but if your in the left lane and getting passed then you know...

What do you do? Turn on your right turn signal. It flashes... just like tapping the brake, which is kinda dumb too. Anyway, using your turn signal will do 2 things; alert the rider of your intention and maybe even keep their road rage in check and alert the drivers in the lane to the right you want over. Merge when safe and let the rider pass.

And as always, "Put as much distance as possible between you and stupidity. You will live a longer and happier life." - csmith12
*headdesks* I should have thought of that.

Old January 18th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
*headdesks* I should have thought of that.
The problem with simplicity is that it comes in the most complex of packaging.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #26
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

You handled the situation the best way it could have been handled. That said, the left lane is reserved for people who want to go faster than everyone else.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2014, 06:29 AM   #27
Whiskey

Quote:
Luckily, when I'm on my bike, I put a lot more distance between myself and the next vehicle; I usually count about 8 seconds worth of space between myself and the vehicle in front of me. I don't feel comfortable with 2 or 4 seconds like most folks seem to use. Riding a motorcycle has taught me the value of looking as far ahead as possible, so I guess I did learn how to drive a little bit better in that fashion. When I saw the motorcyclist tailgating me, I was freaking out because if I had to slow down, he definitely had no room to stop if he failed to swerve.

Even though it technically wouldn't be my fault for insurance and liability purposes, it would suck if the motorcyclist was injured because he rearended into my car, regardless of the use of the digitus impudicus.
Do you do that in the fast lane?
If so everyone else thinks 'there's a nice gap, I'll have that' and you slow down, drop back another 4 or so seconds to open up an 8 second gap to be poached by the next car

Learn to ****ing drive or stay in the slow lane. Idiots like you are the reason for crashes, people get pissed off with your **** driving and take chances.

Next time you have someone tailgating you think "is there something that I'm doing that's causing them to behave like this", then look right to see are you going faster than the traffic there. If not there's your problem.

Do you always need someone else to think for you?

Old January 19th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #28
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Do you do that in the fast lane?
If so everyone else thinks 'there's a nice gap, I'll have that' and you slow down, drop back another 4 or so seconds to open up an 8 second gap to be poached by the next car

Learn to ****ing drive or stay in the slow lane. Idiots like you are the reason for crashes, people get pissed off with your **** driving and take chances.

Next time you have someone tailgating you think "is there something that I'm doing that's causing them to behave like this", then look right to see are you going faster than the traffic there. If not there's your problem.

Do you always need someone else to think for you?
As I said earlier, I'm not trying to put blame on myself or the motorcyclist. I'm just trying to find ways to deal with it if I get into the situation, regardless of whatever precautions I take to not get into this situation.

Besides, the fact that I require higher safety thresholds is not relevant to the discussion.

Old January 19th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #29
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
As I said earlier, I'm not trying to put blame on myself or the motorcyclist. I'm just trying to find ways to deal with it if I get into the situation, regardless of whatever precautions I take to not get into this situation.

Besides, the fact that I require higher safety thresholds is not relevant to the discussion.
It's not really on you, being the one tailgated, regardless of lane.

As a constant speeder, if I get stuck behind a slow car, it's due my lack of planning to avoid that! Not the other people on road who are following (or closer than I am) the rules of road.

Keep your intended speed/lane and the person who wants to go faster will make a plan of action. If they flick you off for it, it's because they are one of those who cannot handle the results of their actions, and probably always feel 'someone else is to blame'.

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #30
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Left lane is the passing lane, if you want to go slower then traffic stay to the right 2 lanes, my uncle used to drive dump trunk in Phoenix and he always stayed in the middle lane till about 1 mile from his exit.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #31
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:

Honestly, if you're going to go only +10 then the left lane is not for you in the first place. However, I do understand your mentality here at this point once you're in the situation. The best thing would be to let the bike pass on the right where it can safely split between two cars heading the same direction instead of dealing with a shoulder or oncoming traffic. As for the upcoming speed trap, this is more reason to stay out of the left lane as police often check the left lane first due to it's nature as a passing lane thus people are more likely to be driving faster in the left lane than other lanes. Typically the lane one over from the far left is the best one to be in when it comes to making good/consistent time on your trip and not attracting unwanted attention while still being able to pass people on the left when necessary.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #32
Whiskey

Quote:

The way to deal with it is not to put yourself in the situation in the first place, namely being in the fast lane while driving slower than other traffic around you.

Lane 1 is for regular driving (where you should have been), lane 2 is for overtaking vehicles in lane 1, lane 3 (where you were) is for passing vehicles in lanes 1 & 2.

On a highway traffic flows like a stream, it can go quickly & reasonably safely as long as there are no obstructions. You are an obstruction, your failure to move at an appropriate pace for the lane you're in causes the traffic to build up behind you & have to cut into slower lanes to pass you. That makes you a danger to yourself and others.

Go do a defensive driving course or some proper advanced rider training, hell even ask your local MSF instructor about lane discipline & why driving slow in the fast lane is dangerous.

Old January 19th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #33
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

It is interesting seeing how many posters see no problem in speeding and tailgating someone just because that person is not speeding enough while invading a lane "assigned" to super-speeders.

What is enough speeding? Is there a limit for that?
If you are passing on the left at 15 mph above speed limit, and a guy comes flying onto your rear while making 40 mph above that limit, you automatically take the spot of the OP.
Would you avoid passing on the left lane just because some self-centered reckless driver or rider decides that he is way above the law, ........... and better and faster than anyone else around?

Can you guys see the violence and non-sense in the behavior that we seem to approve in this thread?
Yes, any form of disrespect is violence, and violence has caused enough sorrow and pain and destruction in our societies.

Why being so hard on the OP and showing so much solidarity with that moron in a bike?
Because we would also flip the bird to the dangerous cager that is blocking our merry way and "forcing" us to take dangerous alternatives.
Because we are also intolerant as soon as we feel protected by a cage.

Real life traffic conditions put slow vehicles on the left lane during each rush hour in this planet, except maybe the Autobahn.
I yet have to see a road congested by slow vehicles that stay away from the fast lane, while fast vehicles enjoy their privilege.

It simply doesn't work that way !!!
When we are cagers, we should drive smart and courteously, just as we expect good cagers to drive, .......... or we just become one more idiot on four wheels.

Old January 19th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #34
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

Quote:
It is interesting seeing how many posters see no problem in speeding and tailgating someone just because that person is not speeding enough while invading a lane "assigned" to super-speeders.

If you are passing on the left at 15 mph above speed limit, and a guy comes flying onto your rear while making 40 mph above that limit, you automatically take the spot of the OP.
Would you avoid passing on the left lane just because some self-centered reckless driver or rider decides that he is way above the law, ........... and better and faster than anyone else around?

Can you guys see the violence and non-sense in the behavior that we seem to approve in this thread?
Yes, any form of disrespect is violence, and violence has caused enough sorrow and pain and destruction in our societies.

Why being so hard on the OP and showing so much solidarity with that moron in a bike?
Because we would also flip the bird to the dangerous cager that is blocking our merry way and "forcing" us to take dangerous alternatives.

Real life traffic conditions put slow vehicles on the left lane during each rush hour in this planet, except maybe the Autobahn.
I yet have to see a road congested by slow vehicles that stay away from the fast lane, while fast vehicles enjoy their privilege.

When we are cagers, we should drive smart and courteously, just as we expect good cagers to drive, .......... or we just become one more idiot on four wheels.

Leave it to motofool to be the Yoda of motorcycles . I have to agree, a lot of people here are being unnecessarily harsh on the OP.
Sykes92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #35
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '86 Honda VFR700

Quote:

Exactly this. Blaming someone for getting tailgated because he's "only" going 10mph over the speed limit is moronic. You ride (or drive!) the conditions on the road, not the conditions you wish were on the road. OP was making intelligent decisions. The rider trying to crawl up his tailpipe wasn't.
CaptainPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #36
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
If you are tailgating and flipping the bird your a and a bad rider. If you're in the fast lane and everyone is passing you on the right and do not understand why or how to avoid that situation, well you need more experience and need to adjust your driving habits. When the OP looks in the mirror who does he see.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #37
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

If I'm going above the speed limit, I don't care what lane I'm in or if someone gets butthurt about it not being fast enough for them.

Granted, I get over when a space is available, but I'm not going to drastically alter my speed to accommodate some douchebag wanting to go really fast.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #38
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPlatypus View Post
Exactly this. Blaming someone for getting tailgated because he's "only" going 10mph over the speed limit is moronic. You ride (or drive!) the conditions on the road, not the conditions you wish were on the road. OP was making intelligent decisions. The rider trying to crawl up his tailpipe wasn't.
You match your ride to the conditions, in this case he was doing -5 compared to the traffic around him, adding 5mph and matching the traffic conditions is in fact safer than irritating the other drivers behind him.

Old January 19th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #39
Whiskey

Quote:

Lane 3 is for passing not for constantly driving in, you pass and move in, catch up with the next one & move out, pass & move back in.

Someone lane hogging below pace in 3 & being passed on the inside disrupts the entire flow & causes faster traffic to have to merge in to slower traffic. That poses a risk to the traffic in lane 2, as they have people moving in quickly & have to assess & adjust their speed or position, the fast traffic has to adjust to a slow moving obstacle.

Being an obstruction is more dangerous than an extra 5mph

Old January 19th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #40
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
i would have to agree with @Whiskey, no reason he should be in the left lane getting passed on the right.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote