ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Name: Hans

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Wanted: HOWTO make better fairings for under $100

I hate the stock fairings. They're pretty, but I hate them, hate them, hate them! They make maintenance a total PITA. You can't attach clip-ons where YOU want them. Those !@#$%^ round plastic pins break. Fairings scratch easily. Many add-ons require workaround engineering because some dumb piece of cheap plastic is in the way. Replacements are so out-rage-ous-ly overpriced that using duct-tape is pretty much the only option if you already have a 2nd mortgage and don't want to start moonlighting as a prostitute.

Fairings are supposed to keep water and dirt out, but the stock ones don't do a good job. Instead they collect dirt in general and collect sand in that spot right behind the windshield to be specific.

So, anybody here tried something like the following with any success?

BLACK ABS SHEET 48x96x0.06"

KEVLAR FABRIC - K49 Style 353 x 50" Kevlar Cloth

The idea would be to triangulate the surface with pre-cut ABS parts using a saw and plastic welder, glue on the fabric (definitely makes nicer edges) and possibly shape some finer details with a heat gun. Kevlar breaks down under UV, but can be prevented by a simple layer of paint.

The fabric should prevent visible cracking and most scratches should be able to be fixed by applying more paint. Maybe the following equation is true: speed-freak + golf-ball = dimpled fairings.
Lowspeed Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:49 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i had always thought fairings were to help with wind resistance...
have you tried riding without fairings?

Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowspeed Lowside View Post
I hate the stock fairings. They're pretty, but I hate them, hate them, hate them! They make maintenance a total PITA. You can't attach clip-ons where YOU want them. Those !@#$%^ round plastic pins break. Fairings scratch easily. Many add-ons require workaround engineering because some dumb piece of cheap plastic is in the way. Replacements are so out-rage-ous-ly overpriced that using duct-tape is pretty much the only option if you already have a 2nd mortgage and don't want to start moonlighting as a prostitute.

Fairings are supposed to keep water and dirt out, but the stock ones don't do a good job. Instead they collect dirt in general and collect sand in that spot right behind the windshield to be specific.

So, anybody here tried something like the following with any success?

BLACK ABS SHEET 48x96x0.06"

KEVLAR FABRIC - K49 Style 353 x 50" Kevlar Cloth

The idea would be to triangulate the surface with pre-cut ABS parts using a saw and plastic welder, glue on the fabric (definitely makes nicer edges) and possibly shape some finer details with a heat gun. Kevlar breaks down under UV, but can be prevented by a simple layer of paint.

The fabric should prevent visible cracking and most scratches should be able to be fixed by applying more paint. Maybe the following equation is true: speed-freak + golf-ball = dimpled fairings.
Hey, how do u think I could afford my 250 to begin with? We must all make sacrifices.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i had always thought fairings were to help with wind resistance...
have you tried riding without fairings?
For comfort all one probably needs is the windshield. I have ridden without the side fairings but with an uneasy feeling. Not only do those tiny exhaust headers look ridiculous, but in case of an unfortunate event I definitely want to keep all those fast moving metal parts and combustible/corrosive chemicals very much away from me (and everybody else for that matter) which is why I thought a little bit of Kevlar can't hurt.

Not to mention that breaking any of the inside parts is more likely to total the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
Hey, how do u think I could afford my 250 to begin with? We must all make sacrifices.
In your experience is getting a 2nd mortgage an even larger pain in the ass than -- ahem, using inappropriate metaphors?

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:07 AM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Sounds like a great idea for customizing your bike. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. I look forward to seeing some pics of your work and a DIY from you to help others do the same.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #6
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

the 250 is one of the sexiest bikes if you dont like it ill happly take it x]

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
I agree!

Your bike is definitely broken, please send it to me

Old July 4th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
As you don't own a motorcycle yet, maybe you can find a used one that had all the plastic bits, mirrors, lights and signals smashed, tank dented and handelbars bent, so that it looks much worse condition than it actually is. One of the advantages of putting more effort than money into your bike before you ride it, is that you'll be much less inclined to do the Very Dumb Stuff™.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Unfortunately for you guys my bike is not broken, but the stock fairings seriously limit the options for adding a turbocharger. As far as I'm concerned the technical stuff and safety come first and appearance comes last.

Old July 4th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #9
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Unfortunately for you guys my bike is not broken, but the stock fairings seriously limit the options for adding a turbocharger. As far as I'm concerned the technical stuff and safety come first and appearance comes last.
Then maybe you need a different bike? I hear that Suzuki makes some cool bikes that go really fast and look good

Old July 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I had no trouble adding clip-ons with the stock plastic. But removing the top of the fairing will give you lots of room. Removing all the plastic is the cheapes thing to do. Just change the tank for a used one from something else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009 season fairing.jpg (150.2 KB, 45 views)
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Quote:
Then maybe you need a different bike? I hear that Suzuki makes some cool bikes that go really fast and look good
Like all the other guys in my local country club I already own several Bugatti Veyron Super Sports, so I don't want to be associated with the riffraff that thinks Suzukis go really fast and look good. Not to mention that I don't want to spend another month in the hospital suffering from a broken pelvis, because the only way to stop all those super-models from leaving claw-marks on the outside of my bedroom door is to send them off shopping in a fancy car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I had no trouble adding clip-ons with the stock plastic. But removing the top of the fairing will give you lots of room. Removing all the plastic is the cheapes thing to do. Just change the tank for a used one from something else.
I'd rather give away the stock fairings to someone who irreparably damaged his and wants to keep the stock look. As you know by know, I'm a cheap bastard and no fellow man or woman should be coerced into paying $200+ for a cheap piece of plastic if he or she doesn't want to be labeled a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
smuck who [...] doesn't have the money to fix it properly
It takes two seconds to pop the hood of my car and I really wish I could do the same thing on my bike. I can't believe that there is absolutely no way of achieving this. Velcro is cheap, easy to replace, doesn't rust, can't fall down a drain, can't be stripped, doesn't need to be torqued, won't rattle, and a square foot of the stuff holds over 6,000 lbs.

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'm still lost on where using abs and kevlar is cheaper or results in a better quality product than fiberglass or even straight abs... or how it is more resistant to the paint on the surface scratching and why you can't "just add more paint" to fiberglass or abs... or how it protects the inside of the bike better which is supposed to get air flow... or how it makes it easier to get on or off?

i'm curious to see the result of your writeup

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #13
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i'm still lost on where using abs and kevlar is cheaper or results in a better quality product than fiberglass or even straight abs... or how it is more resistant to the paint on the surface scratching and why you can't "just add more paint" to fiberglass or abs... or how it protects the inside of the bike better which is supposed to get air flow... or how it makes it easier to get on or off?
Kevlar is a woven fabric so it might bend a little more and snag rather than scratch. Fiberglass is heavier than ABS and probably more expensive.

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #14
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
In your experience is getting a 2nd mortgage an even larger pain in the ass than -- ahem, using inappropriate metaphors?

Old July 7th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #15
bob138
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 1991 EX500 , 2009 250r

I like the idea.

Shave down some weight, faster removal, lower maintenance, and lower cost. Sounds like a win to me.

Also by stretching kevlar over the abs you mean leaving the kevlar unsealed? so with a slight texture? I wonder if that would help air flow? Like the textured paint on a sub.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a pregen ex250 and fitting a vintage race fairing to it with a cafe seat. Give it that vintage look and hopefully some good aerodynamics as well. The goal for that bike is a 70+ mpg bike. I'm really aiming for 100 mpg but baby steps

I know that the pregen is fairly aerodynamic already but it is 80s ugly. The full old RD vintage fairings are much cooler looking.

Bob

My 09 250R Build
bob138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #16
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Buy quick change quarter turn fasteners to replace the stock bolts.
http://www.dzusfasteners.net/
They're for making fairing ins/removal much faster.

http://www.racebolts.com/index.php?m...ndex&cPath=723

Last futzed with by Buffalony; July 7th, 2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: 2nd link
Buffalony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #17
temps
ninjette.org member

Name: temps

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 ninja

Quote:
Kevlar is a woven fabric so it might bend a little more and snag rather than scratch. Fiberglass is heavier than ABS and probably more expensive.
I would go with fiberglass.. fiberglass cloth is pretty cheap. The hard part would be getting in the right shape you want..if you googled how to make a fiberglass boat hull they would probably have instructions on making a mold that would be removed after the glue dries.
temps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #18
muzkur
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): 10' Ninja 250R

Master Yoda says: "Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
Anger I fell in you.

Old July 13th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #19
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by temps View Post
[...]The hard part would be getting in the right shape you want[...]
Let's say we wrap the stock fairings in e.g. cellophane and use them as a crude mold to shape the fabric. Then we apply a moderately elastic glue for fixation, so that the fairing will significantly bend before it deforms or cracks. So, maybe we can get away without using any hard plastic for support, and only use it to armor the spots that actually protect the guts of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob138 View Post
[...]Also by stretching kevlar over the abs you mean leaving the kevlar unsealed? so with a slight texture? I wonder if that would help air flow? Like the textured paint on a sub.[...]
I wonder too. As far as I know transitional and turbulent flow are not well understood, but using a toy model we could suspect that getting small pockets of air to circulate close to the surface, would be similar to having lots of little ball bearings. Of course, we can also get 'bad bearings' that change dimension and shape or even reverse rotation, so that we end up getting more friction. And to further complicate matters: these effects are not independent of airspeed...

So, IMHO, maybe, maybe not, but definitely not: definitely not.

Last futzed with by Lowspeed Lowside; July 13th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Old July 13th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #20
Snake

Thanks to your thread I have been inspired to go on-line and look up DIY's on using moldable plastic. I want to make my own rear tire hugger since there is not one commercialy available for the pregens. Wish me luck.

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #21
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Thanks to your thread I have been inspired to go on-line and look up DIY's on using moldable plastic. I want to make my own rear tire hugger since there is not one commercialy available for the pregens. Wish me luck.
Good luck!

You might find the following advice helpful on your quest...
  • thinking before trying prevents frustration
  • when you get stuck, have a beer
  • use existing solutions for inspiration, but don't make it a goal to recreate/adapt them
  • appearance is the hardest to get right, but it is also the least important
  • if you can use Velcro, use Velcro
  • simple is not only beautiful, it is also cheap
  • form follows function
  • expecting serendipity isn't a contradiction, when trying something different for the hell of it

Last futzed with by Lowspeed Lowside; July 13th, 2011 at 09:39 PM.

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #22
Snake

Thanks Hans. Great advice. I also believe in the concept of KISS

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Old July 14th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #23
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

KEVLAR FABRIC ® 54" WIDE aprox. 6.25 oz sq yd FULL ROLL

I thought what the heck and bought a 54"x72" piece of the stuff for $63.90 shipped. As far as I can tell that's about 3x the price of fiberglass fabric, but should be sufficient material to make two complete sets of fairings.

A gallon of Bondo Interior/Exterior All-Purpose Fiberglass Resin is $35.98 at Lowes, but is this stuff suitably elastic?

What are the chances of success by simply applying a thick layer of paint such as:

http://www.homedepot.com/Rust-Oleum/...atalogId=10053

Old July 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #24
Buffalony

Old July 14th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #25
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

ABS PLASTIC PELLETS BLACK/COARSE 4 lbs FREE SHIPPING: $20.00 shipped.

Let's try dissolving ABS pellets in acetone and use that to glue/fix the fabric. If that doesn't work, we might be able to use the fact that ABS melts at ~105°C whereas Kevlar remains moderately stable until 260°C.

Of course, I should have checked whether it is a known fact that ABS is repelled by or dissolves Kevlar...

Old July 14th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #26
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
How do you plan to make the shape? Are you going to make a mold or something?
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #27
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
How do you plan to make the shape? Are you going to make a mold or something?
Wer lesen kann, ist klar im Vorteil...

Quote:
Let's say we wrap the stock fairings in e.g. cellophane and use them as a crude mold to shape the fabric.[...]
If we're using heat we could use Reynolds instead of Saran wrap, but of course I'm open to any other seemingly loony suggestion.

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #28
Buffalony

Quote:
Wer lesen kann, ist klar im Vorteil...

If we're using heat we could use Reynolds instead of Saran wrap, but of course I'm open to any other seemingly loony suggestion.
Silicon spray or some type of powder??

Carnuba wax and PVA?
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/60478_fi...all/index.html

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #29
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Silicon spray or some type of powder??

Carnuba wax and PVA?
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/60478_fi...all/index.html
Hmm...if we wanted to make exact copies multiple times then the link certainly explains how to do it. What I had in mind was using the stock fairings themselves as a mold, which would only require approximately half the work. As far as I can tell, the stock setup is designed to tolerate a good deal of variance (otherwise why would some of the holes be oval?) and I usually have to flex them a bit to get them back on anyway, so I'd be surprised if even a 1 cm difference would matter much. Especially, after we cut huge strain-releasing slits into the parts and stick 'em together with Velcro. Let's hope that we can figure out how to make the Kevlar stiff but not rigid.

I like the idea of using Pam and/or wax paper as mold release agents.

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #30
Buffalony

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the stock setup is designed to tolerate a good deal of variance (otherwise why would some of the holes be oval?) and I usually have to flex them a bit to get them back on anyway, so I'd be surprised if even a 1 cm difference would matter much
I agree. My body seems to be off in places. Its pretty annoying to get everything back together only to remember that I have to remove the seat and unbolt the gas tank inorder to get the upper gas tank mounts on right!

When the panels are finally all buttoned up, they're nice and firm though. It still bothers me that there is non uniform stresses in them. This winter I'm going to pull things apart and start at the front. Just go through aligning everything. I think I'll take some pics and post a DIY if things are succesfull. I believe it would make things a little quicker for me and tighten up the look some without this issue. Adding 1/4 turns is also on my list.

On your existing fairings, maybe body putty for adding small features and styrofoam temporarely for larger ones. Using a saw for new openings. Then do your glass or kevlar overlay right over that.!! I'm not sure of exactly what your trying to accomplish.

This thread interest me because I really love some and hate other lines on this bike. Mainly Im not too fond of the long horizontal line.

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #31
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

This thread has me considering buying a bunch of colored carbon fiber...
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #32
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

The Kevlar and ABS pellets just arrived. The fabric is so thin and light that it's hard to believe that it can stop a bullet. Needs ironing or something to get rid of the creases.

The cost of ABS cement is roughly the same as dissolving the pellets in MEK or acetone, so we're unlikely to save much by mixing it ourselves.

See: http://www.mp3car.com/fabrication/10...s-plastic.html

The whole technology isn't new, so I'm actually a little surprised that people aren't selling off the stock fairings and that there aren't hundreds of designs with downloadable sewing patterns.

Instead of using a mold, we should consider using a simple wire frame with few vertices and let the fabric assume an approximate minimal surface like a soapy film.
  • form follows function: check
  • simple: check
  • minimal cost: check
  • minimal weight: check
  • beautiful: by definition
  • telling a gixxer that your fairings have a mean curvature of zero and watching his head explode: priceless

Last futzed with by Lowspeed Lowside; July 21st, 2011 at 05:17 AM.

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #33
Buffalony

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #34
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
The Kevlar and ABS pellets just arrived. The fabric is so thin and light that it's hard to believe that it can stop a bullet. Needs ironing or something to get rid of the creases.
iirc they use between 13 to 30 layers of kevlar depending on application with varying weave direction in bullet-proof vests

Old July 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #35
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
I'd rather give away the stock fairings to someone who irreparably damaged his and wants to keep the stock look. As you know by know
I think I may be that person

my bike;

caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #36
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Ouch
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #37
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
I think I may be that person

my bike;
hmmm.... i don't see any issues... ride on brother

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #38
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Quote:
I agree!

I think that kkim has already cornered the market on all broken Ninjas. You must pay to have it shipped to Hawaii.

Old July 18th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #39
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

Interested, thought about this myself for the 91 ninja
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote