ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #1
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Track Food?

Hi, I'm going to be doing my first track day in a couple of weeks and I was just wondering what some of the best foods one can bring to a track day are. I know fruits and veggies are good, but any suggestions or preferences that you guys can give me would be appreciated. Also, any suggestions for a more filling but not weighty lunch? Thanks!
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
grapes are hands down the best

I've been making shrimp-salad and chicken-salad sandwiches recently
chips are always nice to have
cliff bars, bananas, and endless water are usually a staple of mine

I've also been liking body armor sports drink to drink recently, it's a drink designed to replenish electrolytes and potassium plus it tastes pretty good

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You will find no better thread than this right here. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=141828

Things that I have learned since my last update;

Save a pickle jar or similar container (go for plastic), fill it with soup, fruit, salad or dry snacks for a super easy grab and go grub session
Salami/cream cheese roll ups - ridiculously easy, equally good. Seal in container and ready when you are
I had a meat and cheese snack tray made up this last go round, worked out fabulously
A simple can of nuts go a long way

When I have more time, I will post some more ideas.

Goal #1 of your first track day, come home safe and sound
Goal #2 of your first track day, make sure your smile is so big, you can hardly get your helmet on
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #4
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I've never done a track day, but I would assume it is like any other fairly strenuous activity. Stay away from the greasy junk food usually sold at outdoor events. Things that are not messy to eat and don't spoil easy (sorry @Sirref I wouldn't go with a mayonnaise based chicken or shrimp salad), smaller portions that can be eaten as the day progress instead of one huge session that stuffs you and weighs you down.

I also wouldn't go with anything way out of the norm for you. Drastic changes in food can have unpredictable results.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Drastic changes in food can have unpredictable results.
There is validity in that sentence, especially if you are a picky eater.

In hindsight, that link about cooking at the track isn't really applicable to a first time track rider unless they have some pit mates that can prep/cook it all. Sorry...

Otherwise, eat really well the day before the track day and plan on staying more hydrated than fed and your first track day will go nicely from the food perspective.

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #6
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. @Sirref, Good idea on the sports drink; I didn't even think about that.
@csmith12 - Good idea on the soups. Those should be nice and light but filling. I'll probably stay away from the cream-based soups and tend towards the broth-style soups. And yes, I'm pretty excited for the track day I think it's going to rain on the day of, but that only makes it that much more exciting.
@VaFish - Yeah, I'm going to try to stay away from greasy foods as much as possible, but your suggestion of also staying away from messy foods is good; I didn't think of that either. There's not a lot worse than foods that fall apart when you have no stable surface on which to eat.

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #7
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
@VaFish - Yeah, I'm going to try to stay away from greasy foods as much as possible, but your suggestion of also staying away from messy foods is good; I didn't think of that either. There's not a lot worse than foods that fall apart when you have no stable surface on which to eat.
and nothing like leaving some mayonnaise covered shrimp in your leathers, in the hot car, for a couple days.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #8
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
There is validity in that sentence, especially if you are a picky eater.

In hindsight, that link about cooking at the track isn't really applicable to a first time track rider unless they have some pit mates that can prep/cook it all. Sorry...

Otherwise, eat really well the day before the track day and plan on staying more hydrated than fed and your first track day will go nicely from the food perspective.
Even if you aren't a picky eater, if you are normally a eggs and bacon for breakfast and meat and potatoes for lunch and dinner type of guy, and on track day you eat a couple big bowls of oatmeal for breakfast and snack on granola bars all day around 3-4 pm you better have your leathers tucked into your boots or you will be leaving a trail around the track.

I had a very memorable incident on a boundary waters canoe trip when I ate 5 oranges for lunch (they were very good oranges and no one else was eating them and we were supposed to consume all our food for each meal, weren't supposed to leave/bury any because of the bears) a few hours later my gut was tore up and I left a very colorful display on the bushes.

That is what I am referring to as drastic changes to your diet.

Your comment on focusing on staying hydrated is very important.

Old May 19th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #9
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Burritos.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #10
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Jack in the Box Ultimate Sausage for breakfast.
Coffee.
Water.
Gatorade.
Water.
Sammiches, chips and cookies for lunch.
Water.
Gatorade
Water.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
My secret track weapon:

Pedialyte.

It's electrolyte replenishment solution for babies. Much less sugar than sports drinks and keeps you really well hydrated. On cool days I'll go through about a liter. On hot days I'll go through up to three liters.

I favor the Wally World equivalent. Cheaper and I found a flavor I like better than the real stuff.

For food, all of the above applies. Make it something that's easy to manage and not messy. You'll be overloaded and will feel some time pressure.

I always arrive the night before and camp. I'll eat before getting to the track.

Morning:

- French press coffee, ground just before I leave home. There is NOTHING like a really good cup of coffee at sunrise.
- Healthy (i.e. double) serving of hot cereal with added nuts and dried fruit.

During the day as needed:

- Secret track weapon #2: High-protein "active" Ensure. 16-odd grams of protein, low calories, not filling.
- Nuts, seeds, dried (or fresh) fruit to munch on. Always nutrition-dense, healthy stuff.

Lunch:
- Real food according to preference. Solid comfort food on cold days, light fare for hot. Always simple. My last track day was cold and wet. Lunch was a bread bowl, hollowed out and filled with hot chicken and wild rice soup.

Dinner:
- The org I ride with generally orders pizzas at the end of day 1 of two-day events... or....
- Share companionship and grub with others.

Misc. notes:

Cooler has freeze packs lining the bottom and ice on top. The freeze packs are so good that the cooler still has ice in it two or three days later.

I wear a skull cap or balaclava at all times... it goes in the cooler between sessions. Ahhhh.....

I bring a camp stove with me for morning coffee, hot cereal and any other necessary cooking.

A few liter bottles with ice water and a squeeze of lemon juice are always at hand.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #12
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
and nothing like leaving some mayonnaise covered shrimp in your leathers, in the hot car, for a couple days.
I load up fresh ice in the cooler daily so it's less of an issue, I don't plan those past 2 days for that reason though
sandwiches in general are good though, and I'm not a messy eater at all. I do get that it's not for everyone though

Old May 19th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Cooler has freeze packs lining the bottom and ice on top. The freeze packs are so good that the cooler still has ice in it two or three days later.
I used to do that, but don't any more. I finally broke down and bought a really good cooler. One that will keep ice for 3 days without doing anything special. The real trick is getting people to close the darn thing all the way when they get in it.

Old May 25th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #14
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Ah, I didn't get the notifications for these responses!

Man, you guys go HARD! I'll be riding to the track and I only have a large tank bag and a backpack, so that limits me from the royalty cuisine some of you seem to have haha.

I will be bringing lots of water plus Gatorade for sure, and since it will most likely be raining during my track day, I think I will go for soup and sandwich; I just hope there is a microwave there. Worst case, I can use my bike's exhaust...

On another note, I feel like this could be an oversight for track newbies like myself: Are we supposed to bring a canopy and chair, and if so, am I kind of out of luck with regards to these items? I'm not comfortable strapping those on my bike.

Old May 26th, 2016, 05:23 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Rainy track day with no shelter? Oh dear, make a friend in the paddock, it's super easy to do. They may invite you under their ezup and have a spare chair. Around my parts, I can't see everyone just watching you stand there in the rain. Someone should offer a helping hand.