ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 15th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Slip on, or full exhaust?

Hey guys, I'm starting to become attached to my 250r. Now that I've changed the chain/sprockets, and done all the maintenance the bike is starting to grow on me.

What bugs me the most about the aesthetics of the machine is that giant silver dingushole tumorcan cylinderpenis exhaust muffler whatever-it-is.

The sound of the bike didn't really bother me, but a few days ago in town I saw a 250r with an aftermarket slip-on on what appeared to be stock exhaust system. That bike sounded so much MEANER than mine! The idle was a crisp snap-pop-pop-snap-pop-pop instead of the fhpfshpfshpsfhpsfphshsfhpfsh sound that my 250r makes.

I'm aware that I won't be getting much power out of this machine, and it will never be a 'fast bike' -- but I'm considering a full exhaust system, removing the snorkel, and cleaning/jetting the carbs when I tear everything apart to inspect the valve lash. All of it would be happening at the same time.

What do you think? 180 for a slip-on/muffler, or 450 for a full exhaust system. (Of course I'd have to get the carbon fiber instead of the boring stainless muffler.)

Purchasing ONLY the slip-on would assuage my visual/auditory complaints, but I'm wondering if a full exhaust system would actually loosen up an noticeable power gains in addition to jetting/removing-snorkel.

Slip on and call it a day? Or full exhaust and all that other stuff?
corksil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #2
evidens83
bike noob

Name: ev

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r(sold) 04 Yamaha R6

Unless you plan on keeping her I would just get a slip on. Bought my bike used so it already came with a slip on otherwise I would have bought a full Yosh exhaust. This bike is too fun and I'm sure my wife will love it when I'm done when I'm comfortable enough to ride a 600.
evidens83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
do this. since right now you are only really interested in aesthetics, just get the slipon. but make sure you get a slipon that will work with the midpipe/headers you are sure to get later on when you want to do tuning work.

Old December 15th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #4
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidens83 View Post
Unless you plan on keeping her I would just get a slip on. Bought my bike used so it already came with a slip on otherwise I would have bought a full Yosh exhaust. This bike is too fun and I'm sure my wife will love it when I'm done when I'm comfortable enough to ride a 600.
This bike is growing on me. Honestly for 60mpg I can almost see myself keeping the bike when I do end up looking for something bigger in terms of displacement.

40mpg on a CBR600rr, or 60mpg on this little machine, I'd probably end up riding them equally as much to save gas $. Might sell the bike to a relative and keep it in the family as well, so a full exhaust would sweeten the deal.

Old December 15th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
do this. since right now you are only really interested in aesthetics, just get the slipon. but make sure you get a slipon that will work with the midpipe/headers you are sure to get later on when you want to do tuning work.
I agree with you. However I cannot seem to find just the headers for sale for any of these exhaust systems.

Of the two links I posted, it appears that the slipon would fit the OEM pipe, AND the aftermarket system (which would mean that the full exhaust is indeed the same diameter). However, I cannot find the header/midpipe by itself, ONLY the full system (with slip-on) is for sale.

Any idea where I can buy just header/mid-pipes? Because it'd certainly be nice to just buy the slipon and use it for a while, then upgrade to the rest of the full system and keep the slipon later on down the road.

Old December 15th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
TC, if you got the extra paper, get the full system but keep you stock parts. Wrap them up well so they are kept damage free. If you ever sell, put the stock parts back on and resell the aftermarket system here. For a good deal of course.

Don't forget that your gunna have to retune for a full system. So account for any extra expenses that are associated with that.

[begin gut feeling]
My gut tells me you will like the 250 even more after a full system install and tune. The difference between a stock 250 and performance "oriented" 250 is significant in the key areas to make a real difference in feel yet still retaining most of the qualities of a high efficiency mode of transport.
[end gut feeling]
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #7
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
TC, if you got the extra paper, get the full system but keep you stock parts. Wrap them up well so they are kept damage free. If you ever sell, put the stock parts back on and resell the aftermarket system here. For a good deal of course.

Don't forget that your gunna have to retune for a full system. So account for any extra expenses that are associated with that.

[begin gut feeling]
My gut tells me you will like the 250 even more after a full system install and tune. The difference between a stock 250 and performance "oriented" 250 is significant in the key areas to make a real difference in feel yet still retaining most of the qualities of a high efficiency mode of transport.
[end gut feeling]
Thanks for your advice. It sounds spot on. I love tuning up my machines, modding them, and making them run perfectly right up until their maximum potential.

Shipping a full exhaust system from HI sounds pricey, but maybe I could sell it locally. Chances are I'd just leave it on the bike and be more reluctant to sell the bike for a low price.

As for tuning, I'm no stranger. My other ride is an old honda CRX with a swapped, fully built, supercharged motor, standalone EMS, all that fast-and-the-furious stuff, but furreal. I'm pushing 300whp from a 2.0l inline-4. Believe me when I say that car is..... BUILT. Right up until the point where I'd need to spend thousands for another few whp which I won't do. You'd love my 3" full 304ss exhaust system, it's so shiny that I had to heat-wrap it to hide it's bling.

As for tuning the 250r with the full exhaust, snorkel delete, and carb work -- what am I looking at? The bike isn't fuel-injected, so all of my tuning would be localized to the mechanical parts in the carbs, correct?

I've got an innovate motorsports MTX-L wideband O2 and AFR gauge in my car, I could easily put it on the tailpipe of the bike (or in a bung right in the pipe, if there was one and it threaded in..)

I don't think I'd need to change plug heat-range, just put the AFR on it, datalog a few hard rides, then fukk with the carb-internals to tweak the AFR.

Damnit it seems I have acquired another money pit. I bought this damn bike with the plan of upgrading to a 600 after a month of seat time, for the sole reason that I wouldn't have to mess with any of this stuff -- but now it feels like a perfectly tuned/modded 250 might be [almost] enough power to keep riding for another year until upgrading to a 600.

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes, the fueling is adjusted by changing little parts in the carbs.

Main jets, needle height, float height, pilot jets/mix screws are all you need to mess with to get a decent tune.

You can do it yourself with individual parts or you can buy a kit to do it all at once from FactoryPro or DynoJet. You could do the O2 bung in the exhaust if you wanted to. It's been done. You can also just do it by feel and not worry about numbers. Obsessing over numbers with my fuel injection just made me nuts, that's why I'm back to carbs.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #9
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

The only tuning required involves buying a Dynojet kit and using only the 2 needles from the kit. Retain the factory .098 jets and you will be perfect for a full exhaust system, no snorkel, and factory (or K&N replacement) air filter.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I saw on one forum that one company made a slip on, a mid, and a header pipe... Can't recall who, most wanna sell full or slip on though. Go big or go home

Old December 17th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #11
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yes, the fueling is adjusted by changing little parts in the carbs.

Main jets, needle height, float height, pilot jets/mix screws are all you need to mess with to get a decent tune.

You can do it yourself with individual parts or you can buy a kit to do it all at once from FactoryPro or DynoJet. You could do the O2 bung in the exhaust if you wanted to. It's been done. You can also just do it by feel and not worry about numbers. Obsessing over numbers with my fuel injection just made me nuts, that's why I'm back to carbs.
Nice. Do you have a link to the jetting kit? I'm sure I can figure out how to get everything in there properly after I read a bit and take things apart.

And is there any better option than an OEM air filter? I just changed the OEM foam filter to a new one about 4k miles ago.

If there's more power to be had from removing the snorkel, I'll do that. If there's more power to be had from an aftermarket filter or mod, I'll do that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
The only tuning required involves buying a Dynojet kit and using only the 2 needles from the kit. Retain the factory .098 jets and you will be perfect for a full exhaust system, no snorkel, and factory (or K&N replacement) air filter.
Any link to the kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I saw on one forum that one company made a slip on, a mid, and a header pipe... Can't recall who, most wanna sell full or slip on though. Go big or go home
If you come up with a link, post it up. Otherwise I'm thinking I'll go big from the comfort of my sparco racing seat at home. So I'll be going big, from home, and planning for a full exhaust.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Your looking for a Dynojet kit. It will come with a few different sized of jets. You can find the kits cheaper on ebay and amazon though.

K&N high flow air filters will perform better than stock when installed in the proper direction.

If your gunna drop near 5 bills on a full system but need to split up the purchases, give AreaP a call. They will sell all 3 pieces separately but not sure of the costing when purchased that way.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #13
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

If I remember correctly, the .098 OEM jets and Dynojet needles, along with full exhaust is what Richard (Racebikerentals) runs on his rental bikes. There isn't a need to go to the pod air filters, since you will get very little increase in horsepower and only have to use more gas (larger jets to counter the increase in air). There are cheaper full exhaust systems that work as well as the top name brand ones.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
AreaP.

Jets.

K&N.

Snorkel and Kleen Air delete.

/thread.

Eventually most of us come to the realization that function and performance are more important than sound or looks. If you're going to put money into the bike, then at least spend it on something that will make the bike better in fact, not just in perception.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #15
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
....And is there any better option than an OEM air filter? I just changed the OEM foam filter to a new one about 4k miles ago.
There are several. They also have some reviews. http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Air_filters_for_newgens
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #16
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
AreaP.

Jets.

K&N.

Snorkel and Kleen Air delete.

/thread.

Eventually most of us come to the realization that function and performance are more important than sound or looks. If you're going to put money into the bike, then at least spend it on something that will make the bike better in fact, not just in perception.
Thanks. I've put in calls to them to order the parts listed above. Their full race system deletes rear foot pegs and claims 33% HP increase, mainly higher in the rev range. I'm skeptical.

Ordering k&n pod filters now when I find the correct part number.

Sounds like all this is the absolute highest performance increase I can get out of the bike short of forced induction, higher compression, or nitrous.

Does anyone run this system or have experience with it? $700 + shipping to Hawaii is a little scary...

And my other question is where/if I can find a rear seat 'delete' that will clean up the tail of the bike, seeing as I won't have pegs or need for seat. Then again maybe passenger could wrap their legs around my waist or stick their toes under mine on the pegs.

Old December 19th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #17
corksil

Is this my best bet in terms of performance air filter upgrades?
http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mPro...x?&Prod=R-0990

Old December 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #18
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Is this my best bet in terms of performance air filter upgrades?
http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mPro...x?&Prod=R-0990
Dablue guy up there did a review of the hurricane racing air filter! I can't cut and past today, shouldn't be hard to search

Sounds like your looking for a rear cowl as well, to remove your rear seat without lookin a fool

AreaP will show you the dyno results... And hella folks around here run their exhaust, the owner is even on the forum