ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1
midknight
Darksider

Name: Britton

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV650S; 1982 Suzuki TS125

Passengers

Ok so this might be a dumb question to some of you guys, but the only time I've been on a motorcycle was back in highschool I almost creamed a tree with a dirtbike... so I guess you can say I'm a 100% noob. So here's my question - I know on bigger bikes you can have two people on them, but can you ride passangers on the 250? I didn't know if since it's a 250 instead of a 500 or larger bike if it would be possible to have more than just the driver. Would it just be to much weight for the little 250? The guy at the local dealership told me that you more than likely won't be having passengers on the 250 but I figured I'd take my advice from the people that actually ride them.
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #2
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

you can get away with it in a pinch if needed, but don't plan on hot dates jumping on the back on a regular basis like with the bigger bikes. i dont have a rear seat, i have a cowl where i keep my ezpass so it doesn't show. and when i clip my helmet to the bike i store the gloves in there as well. i kept the rear pegs in hopes of being able to do a wheelie one day.

Old June 4th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #3
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I go two up with my wife all the time. Yes you can feel the wieght and the bike does not pull as fast, but It wills till do freeway speeds without a problem. Just make sure that you have your shock preload set to correctly when riding two up.

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

related threads...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37666
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22358

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #5
midknight
Darksider

cool thanks a lot guys. Just got some info on the MSF course today so hopefully soon I can get all my pennies rounded up for the $250 it costs then get my bike.

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #6
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
you can get away with it in a pinch if needed, but don't plan on hot dates jumping on the back on a regular basis like with the bigger bikes.
And why not? I used to take my xgf out every weekend on the bike. The 250 handles a passenger just fine.
The only thing I felt was majorly changed was braking. Other then that, it was fine. I have no need to rocket off with a passenger, so acceleration was just fine. I rider slower and more cautious with a rider, so I brake earlier anyways, which helped with the slower braking.

I only weigh 155 though, and my xgf might have been 115...so I guess heavier couples might have it worse, but for me, the 250 did great with a passenger.

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #7
midknight
Darksider

well I don't plan on riding 2 up as soon as I get a bike anyway...I wann get used to me being on it before anyone else jumps on the back. My issue is...with me and the wife it would be about 325lbs. total. I know this has been brought up in several different threads (thanks Alex) so sorry if i'm asking questions that's already been answered 100 times. I guess I asked my question before I searched.

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

No worries. One tip on this site, is that after you do post something into a new or existing thread, just scroll to the bottom of the page and look in the "similar threads" box. Odds are, if there is a thread on the board that covers a similar topic, it will be there without you even having to manually search for something.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #9
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midknight View Post
Ok so this might be a dumb question to some of you guys, but the only time I've been on a motorcycle was back in highschool I almost creamed a tree with a dirtbike... so I guess you can say I'm a 100% noob. So here's my question - I know on bigger bikes you can have two people on them, but can you ride passangers on the 250? I didn't know if since it's a 250 instead of a 500 or larger bike if it would be possible to have more than just the driver. Would it just be to much weight for the little 250? The guy at the local dealership told me that you more than likely won't be having passengers on the 250 but I figured I'd take my advice from the people that actually ride them.
Ask Sugarbear, Darkstar, Rage42, TmP about how the bike is when i ride 2-UP with my GF on back!!!

For the most part I accelarate easy going, but the Bike still has plenty of POWER to take off and beat traffic, with your old lady on back of the 250R!

Also, remb that the MAX LOAD is 375 lbs. (total weight of you and passenger, gear your wearing, and anything you carry ie backpack/tank bag)

Cuz it is a 250, i would follow the 375 lbs. rule closely!

Tip: If you accelarate fast , make sure you kinda lean forward and give the front of the bike some force/weight. Also your passenger should lean forward with you and tuck in also... or else you guys will look like a 600RR popping a wheelie in 1st gear with NPs!!!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Well, I weigh 270, probably about 280 with full gear on and yeah the bike isn't gonna blow you away with its straight-line performance, but with a passenger you would more than likely be taking it fairly easy anyway. The point is, "Yeah the bike will do it."
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #11
midknight
Darksider

Thanks to everybody that responded. Can't wait to get my ninjette and join the cool kids club!