ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 13th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #41
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Ideally you would use filter oil. It is sticky and traps dirt better, but using what you have is better than not putting anything on the filter at all.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #42
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
My filter just arrived in the mail. I have synthetic oil left over from my previous oil change, can I use it on the foam filter?
What kind of filter did you get?

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #43
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
What kind of filter did you get?
My bike runs alot smoother, getting the bike in this condition makes me appreciate a correctly running 250cc just a whole lot more. I just fell in love with it all over again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM01424.jpg (61.9 KB, 2 views)

Old March 13th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #44
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

its not highway tested yet but I took it up to 50 mph and it ran great. It goes higher than 9k rpms so those pink improvised air filters the POS PO put were the problem.

Old March 13th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #45
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I love a happy ending, as far as what kind of oil, I can't help you. I'm a K&N guy.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #46
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I stick regular 10w 40 motor oil on my filters, not synthetic. Youre best off buying some filter oil, but i dont object to using engine oil, and few other people do.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #47
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

I just posted here, since the topic is related. I didn't want to start a new thread so here it goes. I just came back from a nice ride and I recently started using earplugs so like I mentioned in a previous post another thread:

Having the earplugs puts the wind noise in the background and makes the wind a whole lot less intimidating which lets me focus more on the the ride and not the wind. I hear the wind less so I "feel" it less.

So today I got the highway and I rode and rode, and rode some more. I did not know just how enjoyable the highway really can be when I can focus on the ride. There were not so many cars either so that added to the enjoyment.

So things brings up more questions.

Is there a way to make a more comfortable seat or is there a more comfortable seat that you have experience with? I now do not mind having the 250 on the highway but it would kill my butt after a while. That is the only reason I ended the so enjoyable ride.

Another thing is the vibrations on the handle bar made my hands all tingly even now as I type this. I have heard of using heavier/thicker bar ends?

Anything else that can make highway riding more comfortable on the 250?

Last futzed with by Ninja Rob; August 29th, 2015 at 08:07 PM. Reason: .
Ninja Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #48
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Glad you got earplugs finally. One piece of safety equipment I don't like to ride without, just like my helmet.

Wait... you LIKE riding the highway? No, there's really no way to make the highway more comfortable, other than raising the gearing so it's not zinging up at 10,000 rpm all the time. I hate the highway and avoid it as often as possible. Only thing slab is good for IMO is getting to the twisty roads quickly.

For the tingly hands: you're not tight on the bars, right? I've never had vibration issues, and I used to ride without any bar ends since I have Woodcraft bars.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 29th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #49
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
You could purchase a seat pat or new seat, depends on how much money you want to spend. you could also replace the foam inside the seat if you are that talented.

heavier bar end weights will help keep the bars from being buzzy.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #50
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Classic pattern... something feels less than ideal so the first instinct is to blame the equipment. You can do a whole lot to make yourself more comfortable, and it's all free.

Tips based on experience:

1) Move around a lot. Don't lock yourself into just one position on the seat. Move up against the tank, back away from it... just shift from time to time. Personally I carry my weight on my thighs rather than my butt, which you can do by leaning forward. Since I started doing that, my butt has not hurt. Ever.

Try this: Sit in an office chair, upright like you're riding your bike. Your weight is on the "sit bones" in your butt, right? Now slide forward and perch on the edge. Bring your feet back under the chair. Put your toes on the chair base, underneath you. See how you're leaned forward a bit? Notice that the weight is now on your thighs rather than your butt? That's the position I find most comfortable.

2) Relax your grip and take the weight off your hands. If you need to, it's okay to rest your belly or chest on the tank.

3) If you're riding for an extended period, stop once per hour whether you think you need to or not. Get off the bike and walk around, even if it's just for a minute.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2015, 02:22 PM   #51
Storamin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

You shouldn't have any problem riding the ninja on the highway. If you are consistently above 9,000 rpms in 5th gear you may burn some oil, so watch that.

Move your butt around and stop death gripping the handle bars.

I have a 20 mile highway ride into work and have never had any issues with comfort.
Storamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2015, 02:30 PM   #52
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Lee!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 01:29 AM   #53
mst
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
I feel like I just got skimped out of my previous 3k miles I have ridden.
Or maybe it was a good thing for a newbie rider ?

Anyway I think your bike had the same stuff the BMW S1000RR uses for its riding "rain mode"
mst is offline   Reply With Quote