ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 17th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #1
willtrimble
ninjette.org member

Name: will

Motorcycle(s): '01 Ninja 250

Question am i running rich?

Bought an 01 ninja 250 with 8,000 miles (sat for a year...or so) on it in January 2014. Been using the bike as a daily driver since, it has been riding great...until.

Rode the bike 5 miles the other day....stopped for 2 hours, started the bike normally, rode 1/2 mile and suddenly lost all power. throttle could be open all the way and the rpm's will go up at a snails pace....

first emptied the floats and tank (maybe water in the gas)
no change

next took carbs out discovered one of the float ummmm "switches" (sorry newb) had a bad seal so i replaced that.
no change also now noticed what looks to be fuel leaking from the exaust on the right side, not sure if this just started or if it has always been happening, also notice the faring on the right side had been scorched at some point....also not sure when it happened)

next replaced the spark plugs (the were black and sutty but not "wet") also did oil change and new filter incase gas leaked into case.
no change

next checked petcock and fuel tank, no visible obstructions, when vacuum applied gas seems to flow.

so from all this i THINK....dangerous words.....i think its running rich but honestly have no idea what to do next, this is my second bike but honestly the first time i have ever done anything with the carbs, they kind of scare me.
any thoughts?
willtrimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #2
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Black plugs means rich but when is the last time you got your valves adjusted?
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #3
willtrimble
ninjette.org member

never....just read this other forums post about adjusting the valves ...not sure if this is something i want to tackle...or am I being nervous for nothing? Also could a valve issue start suddenly like this? (thanks for the reply)

also forgot to mention that the choke opens and closes smoothly but adding more than half kills the engine.

Last futzed with by willtrimble; April 17th, 2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added link

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Did you clean the jets while you had the carb out? How bout the fuel filter?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtrimble View Post
..........Rode the bike 5 miles the other day....stopped for 2 hours, started the bike normally, rode 1/2 mile and suddenly lost all power. throttle could be open all the way and the rpm's will go up at a snails pace...........
Welcome to Ninjette.org, Will !!!

First check the air intake for any sudden obstruction.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #6
willtrimble
ninjette.org member

ok....so i didn't clean the jets....I know I had it all the way out but I was nervous to open up the top end of the carb, never done it before and afraid I would screw something up... while at the shop to get the "switch" for the float mechanic looked over the carbs and said they looked really clean and to not worry about cleaning the jets, honestly I was pretty sure you couldn't visually inspect the jets that way but it was a relief that a "pro" said I didn't have to open it up.... so ya do i have to go rip the damn thing out again?

no obstruction in air supply that I can see, the stock filter was clean and dry.

Last futzed with by willtrimble; April 17th, 2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added words

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
stuck float valve on one of the carbs

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #8
willtrimble
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
stuck float valve on one of the carbs

ya already checked that....had a bad valve on the right side ....replaced it. other side was working properly

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it sounds like its running on one cylinder, can you confirm this? try running it and mist some water on the headers and see if one doesn't get hot. this will tell you if you're actually running on both cylinders.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 17th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtrimble View Post
no obstruction in air supply that I can see, the stock filter was clean and dry.
In that case I would treat that sudden stop as an electrical problem (for one or both cylinders).

I would check the safety switches and battery next, then all the connections and cables:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Underst...afety_switches

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...attery_is_dead

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...y_terminals%3F
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #11
willtrimble
ninjette.org member

Quote:
it sounds like its running on one cylinder, can you confirm this? try running it and mist some water on the headers and see if one doesn't get hot. this will tell you if you're actually running on both cylinders.
ya....both headers get warm equally. also starts on the first crank no lag and idles smoothly

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #12
willtrimble
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
In that case I would treat that sudden stop as an electrical problem (for one or both cylinders).

I would check the safety switches and battery next, then all the connections and cables:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Underst...afety_switches

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...attery_is_dead

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...y_terminals%3F

New battery....also if there was a switch failure the bike should DIE correct? i merely have NO power....feels like choke is on (though I have checked that)

Thank you all for responding, sorry if it sounds like Im shooting things down I really do appreciate the feedback

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
what is the fuel level of the carbs. it was adjusted, have you made sure it is adjusted correctly? and is now working correctly?

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
have you checked for a vacuum leak? if severe enough it would do what you're talking about

spray something like carb cleaner on the outside of the carb tubes and see if it changes the idle

Old April 17th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #15
willtrimble
ninjette.org member

Quote:
what is the fuel level of the carbs. it was adjusted, have you made sure it is adjusted correctly? and is now working correctly?
....you just went over my head, so it was probably somethign I did wrong, can you expand? When I noticed the valve attached to the float was cracked and old i replaced it....did i miss a step? im not sure how to check the level and or if it is adjusted correctly.

Old April 17th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #16
willtrimble
ninjette.org member

Quote:
have you checked for a vacuum leak? if severe enough it would do what you're talking about

spray something like carb cleaner on the outside of the carb tubes and see if it changes the idle
im willing to give this a shot....question though isnt carb cleaner bad on rubber components? or am i mistaken....also the bike idles smoothly its when throttle is added that the bike bogs especially when clutch is let out in gear.

Old April 17th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #17
willtrimble
ninjette.org member

so... let's just assume for a minute that the bike is running rich, and that it is not due to a stuck float (because I checked that already?) what is the next step? can I make the adjustments from the outside of the carb? dont quit on me yet guys were getting close

Old April 17th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
check vacuum first. don't spray the rubber hoses just spray onto a metal part of the carbs next to the hoses. they are silicone and are meant to be chemical resistant so its fine if you spray them by accident. just don't soak them in acetone. if there is a vacuum leak it will breath in the fumes from the spray and make the rpm change. if you have a vacuum leak then your slides wont be opening enough which means you wont be letting enough fuel into the stream for what the engine needs.

if you have no vacuum leak, and you don't have a torn diaphram, and you have an unobstructed intake, then i would assume either the main jets clogged or the needle is stuck or something.

if it was truly rich, you would get a rich bog when opening throttle. as in the rpms go down. opening throttle from idle and having it slowly go up is probably lean.

it's also possible that you have lost compression due to a variety of issues. it would also cause the same symptoms.

Old April 18th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #19
willtrimble
ninjette.org member

floats improperly adjusted! one was super rich the other was super lean...never thought i could do this work on the carb myself but with all yalls help i was confident enough to play with it and low and behold I did it! ....thanks!!!

Old April 18th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #20
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
congratulations