ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 1st, 2015, 01:14 PM   #1
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

50,000 miles....

Well, it's been a while since I've been on here...but here's the low down.
I recently passed the 50,000 mile marker on my 250, and within days, found a good deal on a ninja 650r. So I bought it. I figure this is just a start of my fleet of ninjas....

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R....yeah, I'm coming for you too.

bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2015, 01:15 PM   #2
bdavison
Wartown, USA

And since I don't really like mono-color bikes....gave it a fresh coat of paint too.

Old October 1st, 2015, 01:18 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

How is it in comfort and capability compared to the Ninjette?

Old October 1st, 2015, 02:48 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Digging the stripe. Congrats on the find!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2015, 04:16 PM   #6
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Keep the Ninjette for your daughter, it is fun, but nerve wracking, to ride with your kid.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2015, 07:37 PM   #7
bdavison
Wartown, USA

I think before I start on my opinions, I should let you know that I've ridden well over 100,000 miles on motorcycles from 50cc scooters to full on supersport racers. So my opinions are based from my experiences on a wide variety of bikes. So down to the nitty gritty of the 250R and the 650R.

I really like the 250, in my opinion, it is without a doubt the best choice for beginners, and even experienced riders who just want to ride the snot out of a bike. It's hard to explain. It's a bike you just jump on, wind it out, and go. It's just a great bike.

As for the 650. It is of course more powerful than the 250, and the best way to describe it is a "grown-up 250". It retains much of what makes the 250 such a great bike.

It's ergonomics are real close to the 250, just slightly bigger. The seat is more comfortable to me than the 250. I'm 6'3", so I dont know how it would feel to the shorter crowd. Personally, I find the seat fantastic, the footpegs are in the right place, and I don't feel like my legs are cramped like I do on the 250. However, I don't like the raised handlebars. I'd like them about 2" lower to bring my arms forward a bit. It kinda feels like the bars are in my chest and I'm leaning back. I think this has to do with my height, and arm length, and perhaps being used to supersport ergos. A shorter rider would probably find it perfect. So, a handlebar change is in the future for me.

The windscreen is FAR better than the 250, fully directing away, and I'm not buffeted by the air nearly as much as I was on the 250. The bike seems to be affected by crosswinds a bit more than the 250, I was actually surprised by this. I kinda expected its crosswind performance to match the 250, since it's pretty darn close in size and side area. It's not anything to really fret about, just different.

You'll have to pay attention more to your gear selection on the 650 than on the 250. The 250 is happy pretty much whatever gear you're in. The 650 not so much. It seems to be considerably more picky to proper shifting. 1st gear seems to wind up a bit too fast, I get to about 4000rpms, and want to shift, but the shift to 2nd gear really is better between 5-6000. Unfortunately, its right around the 45mph range, so there's no real good cruising gear for city streets. It's either winding up a bit too high on a lower gear, or just above bogging in a higher gear. Same on downshifts, its a bit funky. Say you are approaching a corner. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd is ok, but 2nd is too high for taking a in-city corner, so it feels as though you need to click down to 1st....which sends the engine braking into overload, and revs go way up. Or if you stay in second, it drops below 4000, and feels like its bogging.

I'm going to say this more than likely is just me getting used to the bike, and as I work on it a bit, I might find the right combination of gear/throttle/speed to run smoothly in these circumstances. I'm thinking clutch control is the key here.

If you spend a lot of time in the city with 35-50mph streets, I'd recommend you stick with the 250. While the 250 requires a lot more gear changes, it's much more manageable at those speeds, and easier to ride. On the plus side, you can get some real excitement out of the 250 by zipping up and down through the gears, even at those low speeds.

Now....that being said.

On the highway/freeway/interstate, the 650 is a DREAM machine. It's like riding a cruiser but with sportbike flickability and power. I don't think you could have made a better long-distance sportbike. I can very easily see doing some 600+mile days on it and enjoying it. The 250, my max on it was around 450miles before I really needed to get off.

On the 650 at 80mph, its at 6000rpms in 6th, and right at the base of the powerband. So acceleration for passing is so sweet. Just a little twist of the throttle and you're passing grandma. At 70mph, its at 5K in 6th, so a quick downshift brings it up to 6K and your ready to really rip. It will shoot from 80mph to over 100mph in a matter of seconds if you open it up...and it's not struggling to do it. Say hello to bullet passes.

Hitting an on-ramp, 0-60mph in 3.6 seconds, easily. So merging in traffic is flawless. Also, the mirrors are nice and big, and show LOTS of what's behind you. The 250's mirrors suck...sorry, but they do.

Where you really start to notice the increase in power between the 250 and the 650 is the torque. The 650 has LOTS of it in the low to mid range. Smooth roll-ons result in a grin-inducing hard pull when you hit the powerband. Something which you don't really get on the 250.

The brakes...oh the brakes. The 650 has dual front calipers, and its a pretty good jump up from the 250's single disc. Despite the added braking capabilities, the front is not as aggressive as the other dual disc supersports I've ridden. It's the same setup as the ZX6R,ZX10R. However, it's surprisingly docile. Its pretty progressive on the lighter pulls, and doesn't really start to get aggressive until you give it a good squeeze...and then it comes alive like it should. Rear brake seems really just "not there". You can tell it's doing something, but don't expect to stop on rear brake alone. The engine braking is SUPERB, rev-matched downshifts result in a real motogp feel to shedding off speed.

The suspension feels just like the 250R, which I like, because I've got the 250's suspension characteristics ingrained in my body like a part of me. The only noticable difference is the nose doesn't dip like the older gen 250's did on hard braking. I would say it would be closest to running a 250 with the rear shock real tight, and the front feels a lot like the 08 or later 250s.

All in all,
I would NOT recommend the 650R for a new rider. It's way too aggressive on the torque for a beginner. In inexperienced hands, poor throttle control will likely result in unexpected wheelies, tail slides, rapid over-acceleration, or worse. For someone with considerable time in the saddle of the 250, the 650 would revitalize their bike life.

If you've been riding a 250 around for a while, going to a 650 feels a lot like shoving a much bigger motor into your 250.

Also, the girl is not my daughter. She's my niece, and she loves her uncles bikes.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 04:30 AM   #8
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Well be a good uncle and keep the 250 for your niece. She will be riding age soon enough.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote