ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 9th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Need help with a mod - Blinkers

Last summer I've seen a CBR on the road which had its two rear blinkers on. These were really making the bike stand out from the rear (which is good). I can only assume when he actuated the blinkers they would still blink( I hope so ).

This sounds like a very simple mod, can anyone help me with that?

Old February 9th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #2
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

My 600rr rear blinkers are on (dim) by default when I switched over to lead signals. They blink bright when on signal.
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #3
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

You would have to install a new feed to each blinker with a diode in series (Don’t touch the original feeds)these two feeds would then have to be connected to a voltage regulator where you can adjust the brightness. Job done.

Steve

Old February 10th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #4
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Last summer I've seen a CBR on the road which had its two rear blinkers on. These were really making the bike stand out from the rear (which is good). I can only assume when he actuated the blinkers they would still blink
Once I get my lil shifter/leaner project done I can help you and John out more with your lights.
I think what you are asking is for both your rear lights to flash?
If you want all four to flash at once, Kevin posted how to do so on the other thread. Are you asking for just the back ones to come on and stay on? You'd have to make a switch that disconnects the front turn signals, then actuate the normal turn signal switch. I think that would do it. Then turn off the "funky lights switch" and hit your normal turns signals and they'd be back to normal again.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
Once I get my lil shifter/leaner project done I can help you and John out more with your lights.
I think what you are asking is for both your rear lights to flash?
If you want all four to flash at once, Kevin posted how to do so on the other thread. Are you asking for just the back ones to come on and stay on? You'd have to make a switch that disconnects the front turn signals, then actuate the normal turn signal switch. I think that would do it. Then turn off the "funky lights switch" and hit your normal turns signals and they'd be back to normal again.
He wants to mod his turn signals to DRL's ( daytime running lights) so they all stay on all the time and then flash on the side of the turn. I have heard of people changing out the single filament bulb with a double filament bulb and then splicing a wire into the brake running light wire. Others have used a relay with the single filament bulb but it does not work as well.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

My theory would be to put a switch between the Green + and the Gray + turn signals wires going to the 3.4w bulb on the dash. Just make sure to add this wire before the diodes.

This would cause the same effect as having modded your turn signals to LEDs without doing the "diode mod".
Attached Images
File Type: gif hazard.gif (8.2 KB, 3 views)
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Jon, that setup does in fact create 'hazard flashers' however I think the OP wanted lights that are on dimly all the time, with a higher intensity flash for turn indication which would require something like Snake's idea.

Some quotes from http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
KC, I want to leave my directionals stock, but would like to be able to have four way flashers.
Since I've got my bike stripped, I checked an idea. Namely

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthechron View Post
My theory would be to put a switch between the Green + and the Gray + turn signals wires going to the 3.4w bulb on the dash. Just make sure to add this wire before the diodes.
This would cause the same effect as having modded your turn signals to LEDs without doing the "diode mod".
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar250 View Post
For four-ways add a switch that joins the gray & green wires going to the dash turn ind. bulb and operate the turn signal switch, either way. If you want the dash ind. bulb to flash also do the diode mod to it.
I just bridged them with a wire at the socket where they attach to the dash to check the idea (before the diodes). The two lower lights hanging from the passenger pegs in the second pic are my stock fromt blinkers that I had laying about. You may also notice the turn signal indicator is lit. I don't know if the diode mod is necessary for that because I've done it and don't feel like desoldering.

If you just set those up to a single-pole single-throw (SPST) switch you can have hazard flashers by flipping the new switch to 'on' and turning on a blinker.

DSC04806.jpg
DSC04817.jpg

Old February 10th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #8
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

Another way to use the rear turn stalks as running lights is to run the hot wire from them to the N.C. set of contacts of a small (5-10 A.) relay and then on to the tail light wire. This will run them on w/ keyswitch. ground the coil of the relay and run the former turn-signal + wire to the other coil lead. Do this for both sides. This will cause the light to blink OFF when the front blinks on, but the effect is still the same. This works especially well w/LED lights because the contrast of going from full on to full off is more visible than going from dim (running lights) to full on. Much more visible in daylight. One caution though, standard turn bulbs may get too hot when operated as running lights.
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Maybe I should just add secondary LED's/DRL in the back on their own circuits...

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #10
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar250 View Post
Another way to use the rear turn stalks as running lights is to run the hot wire from them to the N.C. set of contacts of a small (5-10 A.) relay and then on to the tail light wire. This will run them on w/ keyswitch. ground the coil of the relay and run the former turn-signal + wire to the other coil lead. Do this for both sides. This will cause the light to blink OFF when the front blinks on, but the effect is still the same. This works especially well w/LED lights because the contrast of going from full on to full off is more visible than going from dim (running lights) to full on. Much more visible in daylight. One caution though, standard turn bulbs may get too hot when operated as running lights.
+1
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote