ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #1
FroggyGreenInSD
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08 Green 250, 12 Ninja 650 (also green, it's the fastest color!)

California Considering EPA-Style Exhaust Regulation

Not sure if this is the right section for this, if not feel free to move it Alex.

I recently received an email from a Buell riding friend of mine informing me of this bill (SB 435) before the California Senate. If you are as outraged as I am that the state legislature, which can't even pass a budget until six months after its deadline, is wasting its time with more useless laws that accomplish nothing but further burdening the residents of this state, then take action now. Write your legislator and senator and tell them to quit wasting their time on this. Writing a real letter is better than email because they often don't even read the emails they get from their constituents. The message I got from my friend is below.

-----

California Senate Bill 435 is now being considered in the California Legislature. If it passes, not only will you have to have your bike smogged every two years, but forget about having any aftermarket pipe or performance mods on your bike. And the current bill as written is retroactive back to motorcycles built after year 2000 (I think). If you want to raise your voice to prevent this, follow the link below to send a letter to your congressman. It’s easy to do it as an email, but more effective to do it as a letter. Please do it, and please forward to all your motorcycle enthusiast friends.

Click on this URL to take action now

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/utr/2/?a=...&i=84755754&c=

If your email program does not recognize the URL as a link, copy the entire URL and paste it into your Web browser.

The URL will generate most of the message below. I wrote and inserted paragraph 3 below, but the online system lets you insert any text you want into paragraph 3.

Dear [recipient name was inserted here],

Senate Bill 435 would mandate testing for all motorcycles model year 2000 and newer. This despite the lack of any evidence that motorcycles are a significant source of emissions statewide.

The only two counties to ever smog test motorcycles nationwide, Pima and Maricopa in Arizona, have already shown that motorcycle testing leads to no significant reduction in measured emissions levels. Pima County has already dropped their testing program and Maricopa is awaiting EPA's approval to do the same.

For no significant benefit, motorcyclists would be burdened with the cumbersome process of getting the inspections, and they would need to likely pay higher rates than automobiles to get it done. The testing facilities are not equipped to do this testing, and since there are not as many motorcycles on the road, not many would open up because it wouldn't be as profitable as it is for cars. Motorcycles are supposed to be economical transportation, and imposing more fees and requirements on them will make less people ride them and climb back into their cars, thus congesting the highways even more.

Other important points to consider are:

Motorcycles, because of their relatively low yearly mileage totals when compared to other classes of vehicles, already have the lowest emissions of any motor vehicle category in California.

This bill has no specific information regarding the test method to be used, emissions levels to be enforced or the test's potential costs to either the state or the individual owners.

The deadline proposed for creating a testing procedure is slated for July 1, 2011 in the bill, and this is simply too close to the proposed test implementation date of January 1, 2012.

California's motorcycle engine emission standards are already the strictest in the nation, and were just reduced again for model year 2008 and newer motorcycles

If a smog check program is implemented, motorcycles constructed prior to the implementation date should be exempted from the testing.
FroggyGreenInSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #2
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

"We" the industry have been following and working on this closely with the MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council), of which I am on the aftermarket technical committee. This has been brought up, and shot down many, many times over the years as absolutely ridiculous from a logistical standpoint. And with continued diligence, it will be shot down again and again.

In essence, the strongest points are: Motorcycles as a whole, make up a minute number of vehicles on the road and/or contribution to overall emissions output. Both based on oveall efficency and miles driven. It would create a near impossible inspection station process on the visual aspect (exhaust system aside) of EVAP equipment. Many/most of which would require body work, gas tank, seats, hoses, etc, to be removed. As well as a complete working knowledge of every single component and location, on every single year and model affected. It's staggering logistically for the actual overall "benefit"...
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #3
FroggyGreenInSD
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08 Green 250, 12 Ninja 650 (also green, it's the fastest color!)

Thanks for the info Kerry. I guess the title of the thread may sound a little alarmist, but the idiots in Sacramento never stop amazing me with their stupidity. I looked up the bill on the state senate web site and it looks like its in committee, hopefully it will stay there and die. Since you follow this, maybe you can let us know if/when there is anything we should do?
FroggyGreenInSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I live in California.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
kbryant
Area P

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyGreenInSD View Post
Thanks for the info Kerry. I guess the title of the thread may sound a little alarmist, but the idiots in Sacramento never stop amazing me with their stupidity. I looked up the bill on the state senate web site and it looks like its in committee, hopefully it will stay there and die. Since you follow this, maybe you can let us know if/when there is anything we should do?
Believe me - All of us in the industry are on top of this.
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2009, 08:54 AM   #6
athimmel
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - blue

Someone needs to arrange for every one of our ridiculous, uncooperative, budget-destroying legislators to go do a job they are qualified for; like Tent City Sanitation Crew. They are used to shovelling the poop.
Posted via Mobile Device
athimmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM   #7
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

So wait - I gotta get the ninja checked out lol? Yeah I remember reading this and I think its gonna suck if it passes - will send letter to my congress man.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #8
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

California Considering EPA-Style Exhaust Regulation

A California State Assembly committee has endorsed legislation that would to require motorcyclists in the Golden State to have an EPA-compliant exhaust system on their 2011 or newer motorcycles. Two days ago the Committee on Transportation approved Senate Bill 435 with an 8-4 vote, which would make it illegal to operate a 2011 or newer motorcycle with an exhaust system that doesn’t have an EPA label that certifies it as meeting noise limit standards. According to the bill, riders would incur a “fix it” ticket if caught without their EPA exhaust sticker if the bill came into law.

The American Motorcyclist Association opposes the bill on the grounds that it improperly address a legitimate issue. “Many EPA labels are very difficult to locate on motorcycles,” said AMA Western States Representative Nick Haris. “This proposed law could lead to a flurry of tickets for motorcyclists who have legal exhaust systems on their machines with EPA labels that can’t be easily seen. It’s unreasonable to expect a law enforcement officer to easily locate an EPA label, and it’s simply unfair to expect a motorcycle owner to partially dismantle an exhaust system alongside the road to prove the label exists.

The AMA has been running an active anti-excessive loud exhaust campaign recently, in an effort to better community ties between riders and non-riders. With better means of regulation available to the State of California, the AMA hopes that together with the Californian legislature they can achieve the same goal, without unfairly burdening riders who are compliant with the law.

“Requiring that a motorcycle display a readily visible EPA label isn’t the correct way to address concerns about excessive motorcycle sound,” continued Haris. “The only objective way to determine whether a motorcycle complies with sound laws is for properly trained personnel to conduct sound level tests using calibrated meters and an agreed-upon testing procedure.”

The AMA has drafted model legislation that adequately deals with and defines excessive motorcycle exhaust noise, using SAE standards, and encourages California and other states to consider it. In the mean time, the AMA is asking its members in California to encourage their representatives to vote against SB 435 when it comes to vote.

Source: AMA
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yeah, it sounded like this was dead awhile back, but it somehow seems to have resurfaced. Here's a thread on it in its last incarnation --> link

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #10
kkim

God... I cringe/hate it when I read another newbie post looking for the loudest exhaust available for the 250 cause "loud pipes saves lives."

If only they knew the damage they are doing to a sport they just recently became involved in. Even other motorcyclists (AMA) know that loud pipes lead to higher restrictions/laws/biases/stereotyping against motorcyclists. Everyone wants to play "racer dude" on the street... how about going to real track to play racer dude, instead?

Back in the 60s/70s, all offroad dirtbikes came with no muffler or if they did, it was a token one from the manufacturer. We all rode our 2 stroke racing bikes in the back woods and fields around the town in which I grew up. Guess what, that was happening all over the nation as more and more people took up off road riding/racing.

Between the dust and obnoxiously loud two stroke expansion chambers, key people locally, and on a national level, worked to shut down riding areas. Police actually gave chase off road and the military was called in to track bikes by helicopter if you were on federal training grounds, riding.

Today, it is totally unacceptable to ride anywhere except designated motorcycle recreational parks. It's unheard of (no pun intended) for bikes not to have mufflers.

What I'm getting at is this has all taken place before... people with legislative power fighting to change laws to shut the few that make the most noise with their bikes, back under control. The big losers, of course, will be all motorcyclists.

Once Khalifonia falls, they other states will follow suit.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Brap! BNRrRAaarp! Braarakp!
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 06:36 AM   #12
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Kelly, Maine is going in that direction as well. In 2011, a noise test will be done as part of the annual motorcycle inspection. There are ways around that. People will slip on the stock exhaust for the inpection--get the sticker, and then go home and put the loud pipes back on. They are now debating what the decibel level should be, and how this can be enforced. It would appear that every law enforcement officer will have to be issued a decibel meter, along with every MC Inspection Station. This will cost a lot of money; So we can expect a price hike in inspections and registrations. The "Domino Effect" goes on and on. The noise ordinance also conveniently leaves out loud cars and pickups (Lots of them running straight pipes here) The only LOUD, in my view, that saves lives, is a loud colored helmet (mine is school bus yellow) and loud colored jackets. Clashing colors are best. The yellow helmet on a green bike is garish, to say the least.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 06:50 AM   #13
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I'll admit my pipe is loud (about the same as a stock on a 600rr or gsxr), but I respect people around me and in neighborhoods (espc at night). I was always really worried about my bike being way to loud until I see harleys pass me. That type of sound is just retarded and there is no call for that loud of a bike (My bike is no where near that loud). But when I go through my neighborhood im always in the highest gear / lowest rpm to hold down the sound. At night I always ride as quiet as possible no matter where I am.

Old July 1st, 2010, 07:11 AM   #14
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

I just want my stock muffler to be quieter.

Besides, what's stopping exhaust manufacturers from putting on a fake EPA label? How does the law catch people doing modifications on their stock exhaust?
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 07:23 AM   #15
captlombardi
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '09 EX250J, '01 CBR600F4i

Yeah, there is a difference between a well made pipe and an ebay joint. I have a full yosh system and I thought it was loud until some harley guys passed me. Harleys are legal and nobody seems to complain about them, so I doubt anyone has a problem with my little 250.

A pipe from ebay or a D&D (cheaper) pipe would be much louder than mine. When I got my f4i the PO had some shorty GP style ebay exhaust on it (pretty much just a tip) so it was essentially running open headers. I shortly after that put the stocker back on because it was too loud, and I haven't heard any bikes (besides harleys) around here that were as loud as mine when I first got it. Maybe the problem is worse in CA or elsewhere? Either that or people complain more there!
captlombardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:48 AM   #16
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

While it's kinda silly for every officer to be issued a dB meter and be doing field tests on every Harley, (although I bet it could be built into the squad car for use when both vehicles are stationary) I totally support reasonable noise regulations for all vehicles, regardless of the number of wheels.

I also disagree that loud pipes save lives, but I kinda wish my bike was a little louder. At high speeds and high revs, I have trouble hearing the engine over the wind, especially through earplugs. What little sound gets through is 'felt' more than heard, and I seem to glance at the tach more often.
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM   #17
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Maybe I don't understand the issue fully, but wouldn't that just be another redundant law? I thought it was technically already illegal, but rarely enforced. Someone in the know, please educate me. I have actually been curious about this issue.

BTW: Kudos to the AMA.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM   #18
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadyn View Post
I also disagree that loud pipes save lives
I am unfortunately one of those that think that loud pipes save lives... so feel free to educate me otherwise.

I don't know how many of you have experienced California traffic on the freeway. It's literally bumper to bumper maybe going 5-15mph. Bikes in CA are allowed to lane split (technically called lane sharing). I check my mirrors regularly and you would not believe how frequently I get surprised by a bike with stock exhaust zips by at 25/30 mph between lanes because I had no idea they were coming. On the other hand every rider that has modified exhaust or is a Harley, I hear in the distance which gives me an opportunity to shift to one side of my lane to give the rider extra room.

If they want to make a law that regulates noise levels for a motorcycle, they need to do something about the fart cans on the backs of riced out Hondas. It is much more common for me to be woken up in the middle of the night by one of those cars than a motorcycle.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 03:33 PM   #19
kkim

I know nothing about lane splitting (not legal here), but are they supposed to be lane splitting doing 25/30 over to begin with?

Old July 1st, 2010, 03:43 PM   #20
2WheelGuy

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Maybe I don't understand the issue fully, but wouldn't that just be another redundant law? I thought it was technically already illegal, but rarely enforced. Someone in the know, please educate me.
The difference is that under current law you can use any muffler as long as it is under the states decibel limits. The only way to really enforce it is with db meters. The new law would require that motorcycles have mufflers with DOT certification stickers. Quiet or not a muffler would be illegal without the proper sticker.
AFM #278

Old July 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM   #21
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I know nothing about lane splitting (not legal here), but are they supposed to be lane splitting doing 25/30 over to begin with?
There is no specific law for how fast they are allowed to go while lane splitting the CHP website says "Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."

I usually see riders going by about 10mph over what traffic is going (...I wasn't quite clear in my post), but then again I see some that zip by faster.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 05:41 PM   #22
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post
The difference is that under current law you can use any muffler as long as it is under the states decibel limits. The only way to really enforce it is with db meters. The new law would require that motorcycles have mufflers with DOT certification stickers. Quiet or not a muffler would be illegal without the proper sticker.
I thought it was a CA emissions thing. My pipe has a stamp that says it is illegal to "tamper" with the exhaust system in any way.

Old July 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM   #23
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

I ♥ my EPA Exhaust.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM   #24
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Everyone wants to play "racer dude" on the street... how about going to real track to play racer dude, instead?
You cant play racer dude at our track:
Quote:
The AMA, major race organization, and JENNINGSGP enforce a noise regulation of 104db for Motorcycles. Bikes exceeding 104db will not be allowed on the track.
Gotta do it on the street
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:40 PM   #25
Sailariel

Quote:
I thought it was a CA emissions thing. My pipe has a stamp that says it is illegal to "tamper" with the exhaust system in any way.
Doc, The problem is that our Ninja has two catalytic converters. By law, you are not allowed to remove a catalytic converter on any vehicle. That is an emissions issue. The noise issue is something altogether different and is regulated by the states. In Maine the acceptable level will be 62db at 50 Feet at quarter throttle. I don't have a problem with that. The Ninja is a bit "buzzy" sounding, but for a 250, it sounds ferocious. Compare it to other 250cc bikes. I like the stock muffler. It does get somewhat louder with time as the packing wears. I have a Ninja 250 go by my house every day on his way to work and back---going about 40mph. It sounds pretty nice to me. I would like to think that the Kawa engineers put a lot of thought into the 250---all of them. They would really not like to screw up their best selling bike.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM   #26
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

The only thing that needs to be audibly loud on a motorcycle is the horn. It's there specifically as a safety device. However, almost all OEM horns on motorcycles sound comical when used in an empty room and are useless in traffic, and that really annoys me. When I'm in traffic and I push the horn button, the vehicles around me should be able to hear it clearly, and the only reason I can hear it at all is because I know I'm pushing the button.

I know that it's fairly easy to upgrade the horn, and that is on my "to do" list for all of our bikes. It still bothers me that the typical OEM horn equipment is only up to minimum standard as a legality, rather than something loud enough to have a useful effect as a safety device.

Every time I hear "campaigning" from the loud-pipes-save-lives folks, that it's their right to annoy people, I don't know what to do. Don't they realize that the people that they're annoying are voters, and that there's a lot more of them than us?!? That's the kind of situation that can get nasty laws passed to control situations where common sense used to do just fine.

What's really comical is when I hear the loud-pipes, and the helmets-are-dangerous, "safety" arguments coming from the same person, almost in the same breath.

OK, I'm done now.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM   #27
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Isn't there an EPA or somesuch compliance spiel stamped into our cans? Just don't put on a fugly aftermarket exhaust and you'll be fine...

Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:33 PM   #28
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Doc, The problem is that our Ninja has two catalytic converters. By law, you are not allowed to remove a catalytic converter on any vehicle. That is an emissions issue. The noise issue is something altogether different and is regulated by the states. In Maine the acceptable level will be 62db at 50 Feet at quarter throttle. I don't have a problem with that. The Ninja is a bit "buzzy" sounding, but for a 250, it sounds ferocious. Compare it to other 250cc bikes. I like the stock muffler. It does get somewhat louder with time as the packing wears. I have a Ninja 250 go by my house every day on his way to work and back---going about 40mph. It sounds pretty nice to me. I would like to think that the Kawa engineers put a lot of thought into the 250---all of them. They would really not like to screw up their best selling bike.
So if the state is primarily concerned with db, and feds emissions (removal of cat.), wouldn't that make it illegal in every state to install an aftermarket pipe, assuming it doesn't have a cat in it?

Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM   #29
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
So if the state is primarily concerned with db, and feds emissions (removal of cat.), wouldn't that make it illegal in every state to install an aftermarket pipe, assuming it doesn't have a cat in it?
Depends. Some states don't have inspections and/or emmissions. But yes, technically it is illegal in some states.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:10 PM   #30
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Depends. Some states don't have inspections and/or emissions. But yes, technically it is illegal in some states.
If it is a Fed law, and some states don't have inspections, I would interpret it as those states aren't enforcing the Fed law... which is OK by me. I'm no legal expert, but it sounds like a jurisdictional issue to me.

I just checked the stamp on my pipe (ugly thing they do there), and confirmed it is referring to db. I had misunderstood, and thought I remembered it referring to emissions.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:59 PM   #31
Sailariel

I spoke to a friend who owns a shop specializing in mufflers. Here is his take on the matter. This, he says, applies in the majority of our states. As a shop, he is NOT allowed to remove a catalytic converter or he will lose his business license. If you come to the shop, and for some reason, your catalytic converter is gone, he may install a muffler without the converter. (Catalytic converters get stolen and are sold to scrap yards for the Platinum in them) They are also very expensive. Of course, YOU, can do almost anything. Were I to change my exhaust, I would change the whole thing--headers and all, and would keep the entire stock system in storage in case things got dicey with the authorities later. You can then always retrofit. Personally, I like things quiet. It is ironic that The United Bikers of Maine--whose motto is, "Let those who ride decide" are now actively endorsing "Pipe discipline" It is inevitable that the government, state and federal, will come down on the noise issue. It has really gotten out of hand. I doubt whether we will be able to turn this around. There are too many laws already in committees and in the works. The great philosopher Pogo said, "We have found the enemy--and it is us"

Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:02 PM   #32
headshrink

That clears things up... thanks.

Old July 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #33
Perf_White_Gt
ninjette.org member

Name: Christopher

Motorcycle(s): Trek Alpha 1.2

My mustang is pretty damn loud... I drown out most motorcycle noise...

but then again last time i got pulled over for loud pipes on my car... it was because the officer was a mustang owner and wanted to check out my car... he was impressed with the nitrous system that was hooked up at the time
Perf_White_Gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #34
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

While we are on the subject of motor vehicles and noise, lets get the powers that be to do something about the racket that comes from vehicles disguised as someones music. When I am sitting at a stoplight and someone 2 lanes over has a stereo that is causing my teeth to vibrate, there is something wrong with that.

nb

Old July 5th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #35
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
While we are on the subject of motor vehicles and noise, lets get the powers that be to do something about the racket that comes from vehicles disguised as someones music. When I am sitting at a stoplight and someone 2 lanes over has a stereo that is causing my teeth to vibrate, there is something wrong with that.

nb
I sympathize with you on this.... I really do, and am also very annoyed by this. But regardless of the subject, we should always ALSO be considering how much government control/intrusion we should allow/endure. So whatever the potential law, we should also consider the prudence and consequences of said law, including the potential for sliding down that slippery slope.

Old July 5th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #36
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post

nb
as far as I know, Hawaii still has the "boom box" law on the books.

Old July 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #37
headshrink

Quote:
as far as I know, Hawaii still has the "boom box" law on the books.
This is one I like....
It is the kind of situation where one person can ruin the fun for everyone else. I HATE going to the beach, only to listen to someone else's music!

Old July 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #38
kkim

The boom box law was written to address the car stereos with absurd subwoofer volumes as they traveled down the road, disturbing residents.

Interesting... I don't know if it applies to "noisemakers" on the beach.

sorry for the hijack.

Old July 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #39
headshrink

Yeah, I knew you where probably actually talking about cars.... I expanded on the thought a bit, so it was I that am responsible for the origional 7500.

Old September 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #40
2WheelGuy

New California Law Will Require EPA Sound Emissions Labels On Motorcycle Exhaust

From a press release issued by American Motorcyclist Association:

Quote:
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- A new California law requires street motorcycles registered in the state and built on or after Jan. 1, 2013, to have an exhaust system label certifying the motorcycles meet federal sound limits, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

On Sept. 28, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law Senate Bill 435, sponsored by Sen. Fran Pavey (D-Agoura Hills). While motorcycle manufacturers have been complying with the federal law since it was effective in 1983, the new law now makes it a state crime to operate any motorcycle registered in the state that was built on or after Jan. 1, 2013, that doesn't have a federal Environmental Protection Agency exhaust system sound emissions label.

In addition, the law requires aftermarket exhaust systems made on or after Jan. 1, 2013, to display the EPA sound emissions label, and therefore applies to individuals who seek to replace the exhaust system on affected streetbikes.

To view the legislation, see http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil...chaptered.html.

Thousands of motorcyclists utilized the AMA website at AmericanMotorcyclist.com first to oppose the bill, and then to urge Schwarzenegger to reject it.

AMA Western States Representative Nick Haris expressed major concerns about the new law.

"Many EPA labels are very difficult to locate on motorcycles," Haris said. "This law could lead to a flurry of tickets for motorcyclists who have legal exhaust systems with EPA labels on their machines that can't be easily seen. It's unreasonable to expect a law enforcement officer to easily locate an EPA label, and it's simply unfair to expect a motorcycle owner to partially dismantle an exhaust system along the roadside to prove the label exists."

Violators face fines of up to $100 for a first offense and up to $250 for subsequent offenses. Judges have the discretion to dismiss the fine for first-time offenders if the violation is corrected.

Also, a violation is considered a secondary offense, meaning a police officer can't stop a motorcyclist solely because the officer believes the motorcyclist is breaking the sound emissions label law.

"Requiring that a motorcycle display a readily visible EPA label isn't the appropriate way to address concerns about excessive motorcycle sound, which the AMA has pointed out repeatedly," Haris said. "The only objective way to determine whether a motorcycle complies with sound laws is for properly trained personnel to conduct sound level tests using calibrated meters and an agreed-upon testing procedure."

In 1972, Congress passed the federal Noise Control Act, which required the EPA to set sound standards for a number of products. It took several years, but the EPA eventually wrote rules affecting all new motorcycles sold in the U.S. beginning in 1983.

Those regulations, which still stand today, required that all street-legal motorcycles be limited to 83 decibels at that time, with a stricter, 80-decibel limit imposed beginning in 1986.

The AMA has long maintained a position of strong opposition to excessive motorcycle sound. In September 2009, the AMA developed model legislation for use by cities and states seeking a simple, consistent and economical way to deal with sound complaints related to on-highway motorcycles within the larger context of excessive sound from all sources.

The model legislation offers an objective method to evaluate motorcycle sound based on the Society of Automotive Engineers' (SAE) J2825 standard, "Measurement of Exhaust Sound Pressure Levels of Stationary On-Highway Motorcycles." For more information, click here: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/..._Ordinance.pdf.

About the American Motorcyclist Association
Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling rights organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations, and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. AMA members receive money-saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. Through its support of the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations. For more information, please visit AmericanMotorcyclist.com.
AFM #278