ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM   #1
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250, Kawasaki 650

Time for a new helmet, opinions?

Right now I have an AGV k4 EVO,only have had it for about a year but I will be getting a new one in the next few months as I save up.

I'm choosing between 1. an AGV GP-Tech (roughly $500-$600)carbon Kevlar construction http://www.revzilla.com/product/agv-...gp-tech-helmet

2. skyline http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...helmet-solids- 2-piece dual-density Carbon glass ($350)

3. Icon Variant http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-variant-helmet ($370)

So I know I want a white helmet so color is already known, I just wondered if you guys had any input on which one. The GP-tech helmet is obviously way more than the others, and I'd be okay with that if that means more safety. It's made with carbon kevlar construction while the other helmets seem to be carbonglass. Is there any difference as far as protection? So is the gp-tech helmet more money for comfort only, or is there any safety pros to it also? If it's just comfort, I'd go with a cheaper helmet because my $220 agvk4 evo was great for me.
2fidyswag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Consider comfort as a very important point.

The hardness-lightness of the shell is important, but what really can save your brains from becoming liquid due to sudden deceleration is the impact absorbing material inside.

Don't rely on these things, they protect only up to certain point.
The best protecting gear is the one which your skills prevent from being tested.

Protecting gear is the very last line of defense that we have.
We cannot really afford having to use it.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I recommend #2 the agv-skyline-helmet
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

4. Nexx Xr1r

You're welcome

(if you insist, I'll choose gp-tech out of those 3)
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Continuous
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r SE

If you want a white helmet, I would go with the Icon Airframe Construct. I have had people tell me the Variant will start tugging back on your head at speed, but I don't know how credible that is. I have an Icon Airmada and I am very impressed with the comfort and air flow.

Old July 21st, 2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I'd choose the one that fit best.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:51 PM   #7
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fidyswag View Post
Right now I have an AGV k4 EVO,only have had it for about a year but I will be getting a new one in the next few months as I save up.

I'm choosing between 1. an AGV GP-Tech (roughly $500-$600)carbon Kevlar construction http://www.revzilla.com/product/agv-...gp-tech-helmet

2. skyline http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...helmet-solids- 2-piece dual-density Carbon glass ($350)

3. Icon Variant http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-variant-helmet ($370)

So I know I want a white helmet so color is already known, I just wondered if you guys had any input on which one. The GP-tech helmet is obviously way more than the others, and I'd be okay with that if that means more safety. It's made with carbon kevlar construction while the other helmets seem to be carbonglass. Is there any difference as far as protection? So is the gp-tech helmet more money for comfort only, or is there any safety pros to it also? If it's just comfort, I'd go with a cheaper helmet because my $220 agvk4 evo was great for me.
I was looking at the Icon Variant and tried it on but didn't find it very comfortable and ended up going with a Shoei RF-1100 for $30 more.