ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 8th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #1
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Name: nbilling

Motorcycle(s): 88-07 Ninja 250

Red face Valve clearance adjustment problem

Hi all, I recently bought my first bike (a used 88-07 Ninja 250) and decided I would do all of the maintenance on it myself, since I only paid $1000 for it and I have no idea what, if any, maintenance the previous owner did.

I rode the bike myself for several weeks before I decided to start working on it, to the office and just cruising around. Maybe 400 miles total, didn't notice any problems at all.

I picked valve clearance adjustment first because the ninja wiki said it should be done cold, and incredibly foolishly I thought I would have time on the day to do a bunch of jobs therefore I should do the one that required a cold engine first. Well, it turned out that I didn't finish the first adjustment for days and days.

In any case, when I finally finished and started the engine it made a terrible noise. I took the bike back apart and readjusted them (the first time I had mistaken the imperial markings on my feeler gauge for metric). This second time the engine sounded very healthy and I was quite proud of myself. I went for a 30 or so minute ride and life was good.

This morning I got on my bike and rode to work (again, about 30 minutes, but with more sitting in traffic), and about 400 yards from my office I took off from a stop sign and my engine started vibrating weirdly and making a funny sound. I got in and parked fine, but now I'm worried about riding home and about my ability to fix what's wrong.

I'm pretty sure that my valve adjustment is to blame, and just exploring my options I called a nearby mechanic and they estimated like $650 to $700 to adjust the valves so that sounds like a definite no-go on a $1000 bike.

Here is my best description of how the engine is being weird (I went for a very short ride at lunch to get food and try and work out what was wrong with the engine):
- Acceleration feels kind of bursty/unstable.
- Rolling off the throttle all the way, the revs dip down really far below idle before sputtering back up. The engine almost stalls (with the clutch all the way in, or even in neutral).
- There is kind of an overtone to the normal engine sound, it sounds kind of like someone typing a word on a typewriter. It will go something like half second of no sound, half second of typewriter sound, half second of no sound, half second of typewriter sound, etc.

The engine felt so good right after I adjusted the valves, I was sure that I had done it right. Is it possible that I didn't tighten something enough and they loosened over time? Am I going to do permanent damage to my valves if I ride home (about 12 miles) from work so I can attempt to check the valve clearances again?
nbilling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Welcome, NB!

Did you tighten up the locknuts on all 8 valve adjusters?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #3
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Welcome, NB!

Did you tighten up the locknuts on all 8 valve adjusters?
I did, but not to the torque spec because I had a lot of trouble getting my torque wrench into position. IIRC the 9mm socket for my (3/8" drive) torque wrench is actually too wide to fit between the engine case and the locknut on the exhaust valve adjusters.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to auto maintenance (this was my first attempt to work on a bike or car), but my gut feeling based on what happened is that one or more of the locknuts wasn't tight enough and managed to get loose.

Old June 8th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbilling View Post
...my gut feeling based on what happened is that one or more of the locknuts wasn't tight enough and managed to get loose.
My thought, too.

Old June 8th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #5
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
The Kawasaki valve adjusting tool (part number 57001-1220) works well, but one can't apply specific torque to the lock nut. One just applies "German torque": guttentight (in other words, snug it up by feel).

Old June 8th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #6
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Quote:
My thought, too.
Pretty sure I'm asking a question I already know the answer to but: should I buy a small (1/4" drive) torque wrench for tightening the locknuts before I take another stab at it?

Old June 8th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #7
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

sounds like since u did the valves wrong the first time the pistons might have touched one or more and bent them. Would explain the power surging, inability to keep an idle bc of vacuum/lack of air. And the typewriter sound could be a loose valve.

Best case scenario is that one of the rockers came loose bc of the lack of tightening which would cause the valve not to move at all and cause the same issues ur having. Plus the rocker bouncing around would make the ticking sound.

You really just need to open the top up again and take a look. Also if you dont see anything wrong go pick up a rental compression tester at an auto zone and test for compression to see if its good. This will tell if you have a bent valve

Old June 8th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #8
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
nbilling-

you are using a service manual for reference/guidance?

Rotating each cylinder to TDC before adjusting?
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #9
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
nbilling-

you are using a service manual for reference/guidance?

Rotating each cylinder to TDC before adjusting?
I'm using http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...t_procedure%3F as a reference, do not have a service manual. I'm open to ordering one if it contains some extra info that will help

I think I'm rotating to TDC for each set of valves before adjusting them. I was not using the 1|T and 2|T markings, but by trying to line the cam lobe perpendicular to the face of the rocker (as the above wiki suggests). That is to say, each cam lobe was directly pointing away from it's rocker when I adjusted its clearance. The procedure I used was like "rotate engine CCW until cylinder 1 intake is in position, adjust both valves, rotate engine CCW until cylinder 2 intake is in position, adjust both valves, rotate engine CCW until cylinder 1 exhaust in position, adjust both valves, rotate engine CCW until cylinder 2 exhaust in position, adjust both valves."

The term TDC makes me a bit uneasy, since the diagrams they show have the lobe pointing away from the rocker and since the rocker is not perfectly horizontal, the lobe is not pointing dead straight up. It's like 30 degrees for the exhaust and 60 degrees for the intake.

Old June 8th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #10
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
lobe up method is fine, just checking

but a double check of your performed work would be wise

Old June 8th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #11
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Rode home without my engine seizing up or anything. It's pretty hot today so I doubt the engine will be cool enough for me to take a peek at the valves until tomorrow.

My plan is to take all the non-engine stuff off tonight, so tomorrow I can just take off the valve cover and check it out without any hassle. Dying to see in there and confirm/disconfirm the locknut loosening hypothesis!

Old June 9th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #12
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Pretty sure I'm asking a question I already know the answer to but: should I buy a small (1/4" drive) torque wrench for tightening the locknuts before I take another stab at it?
I'd recommend no. The Kawasaki tool is nice because it has the screwdriver for holding the shaft still while you tighten the lock nut. (the screwdriver runs through the center of the 9mm wrench. "German torque" is fine: snug; not too tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ba4ab6deac0f01dfaa5af4b54468762e.jpg (55.8 KB, 12 views)

Old June 9th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #13
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'd recommend no. The Kawasaki tool is nice because it has the screwdriver for holding the shaft still while you tighten the lock nut. (the screwdriver runs through the center of the 9mm wrench. "German torque" is fine: snug; not too tight.
Is this just a convenience thing? I didn't feel like it was that hard to just loosen the locknut to where I could move the adjuster screw (just using a screwdriver, not making any effort to stop locknut from turning), make adjustment, then retighten locknut and double check clearance. I don't think any of them even needed to be readjusted after tightening the locknut.

Old June 9th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #14
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Is this just a convenience thing? I didn't feel like it was that hard to just loosen the locknut to where I could move the adjuster screw (just using a screwdriver, not making any effort to stop locknut from turning), make adjustment, then retighten locknut and double check clearance. I don't think any of them even needed to be readjusted after tightening the locknut.
Yes. Just a convenience: it allows you to hold the adjuster screw with the screwdriver while you tighten the locknut.

I'll loan you the tool if you want...

Old June 9th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #15
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes. Just a convenience: it allows you to hold the adjuster screw with the screwdriver while you tighten the locknut.

I'll loan you the tool if you want...
Very tempting, since it seems like you live nearby! I already ordered a 1/4" torque wrench because I'm paranoid about leaving the locknuts loose now, but no reason why I can't use both.

Old June 9th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #16
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Bummer. Coulda loaned you the quarter inch torque wrench...

Old June 9th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #17
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Ok so I opened the valve cover and all the locknuts appear to be holding. They aren't super tight (almost certainly below the factory spec), but I don't think one of them shaking loose is what caused the issue. Looking around further I can see for sure that something is wrong.

Here is one of the cylinder 2 exhaust valve rockers:

It looks fine.

Here is one of the cylinder 2 intake rockers:

... and it's nut:

These are busted somehow. It looks like the rocker is detached from the valve and jammed under one side of the cam. I tried to gently shift it back to the middle of the cam with a little screwdriver but it was stuck. It was quite hard to see inside but it sort of looked like the face of the rocker might have gotten damaged (although reading the ninja wiki it is normal for them to get worn down I think?).

I guess now I need to work out what I did that caused this to happen, what (if anything) needs to be replaced, and how to fix the valve. Any ideas?

e: in case it is unclear-- only one of the 8 valves is broken as far as I can see.

Old June 10th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #18
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

only takes one valve to not operate to cause your issues.

I dont remember how to take the rocker out but I am pretty sure the cams have to come out. Someone else should chime in. I would replace the rocker. Call a kawi dealer or ebay and see if you can find one to replace it.

It might just need to loosen the cams on that side to put the rocker back.

Old June 10th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #19
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
before arbitrarily pulling cams, the crank and cam timing marks should be aligned, assuring cam timing goes back precisely as it was.

Check your manual or wiki on this important aspect. If the cam timing is whacked out within your repair attempt....even further damage can ensue.

The cams and valvetrain need to be carefully inspected for damage due to broken parts rollin' around up there. A compression test is advisable to ensure no bent valves. Also....i'd advise turning the engine over by hand (remove spark plugs first) to make sure nothing is binding/interfering BEFORE engaging starter and causing further damage.

As you are new to this....you may elect to enlist qualified help at this point.

Old June 10th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #20
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Did a dog ear break off a rocker?
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #21
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Did a dog ear break off a rocker?
I'm not sure what this means. I was planning to try and take some better photos but was busy this evening so I wasn't able. Can you explain how I'll know if that happened?

Old June 11th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #22
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Quote:
I'm not sure what this means. I was planning to try and take some better photos but was busy this evening so I wasn't able. Can you explain how I'll know if that happened?
Found it, this page explains:
http://n4mwd.blogspot.com/2013/06/ov...ts-during.html
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #23
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Very interesting! I still need to get my proper camera out and take better photos, and after that I'll try to remove the busted rocker arm and check the 'dog ears'.

I definitely agree with ducatiman that I should get someone experienced to help in person at this point. I'm sure I can find motorcycle mechanics in the area, but I feel like I'll be missing a learning opportunity if I hand the bike off to someone else and they fix it on their own.

If I had a choice I'd rather pay someone to walk me through diagnosing/fixing the problem. Is that a service that already exists?

Old June 19th, 2015, 11:03 AM   #24
nbilling
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Very interesting! I still need to get my proper camera out and take better photos, and after that I'll try to remove the busted rocker arm and check the 'dog ears'.

I definitely agree with ducatiman that I should get someone experienced to help in person at this point. I'm sure I can find motorcycle mechanics in the area, but I feel like I'll be missing a learning opportunity if I hand the bike off to someone else and they fix it on their own.

If I had a choice I'd rather pay someone to walk me through diagnosing/fixing the problem. Is that a service that already exists?
I found a mechanic to come and look at my bike and help me figure out what's wrong and how to fix it etc. We disassembled the engine top end and found that indeed one of the rocker arms had a damaged 'ear' on the underside. It wasn't damaged as badly as the photos on the blog posted above, but it probably doesn't matter since it was enough for the rocker arm to move out of place.

The mechanic said that that the cam shaft and other rocker arms seem fine, but he said we should polish the cam shafts anyway to be sure. I'll have to order a replacement rocker arm, and then I can get the same guy to come out and direct me as I try to find the bit of material that broke off the rocker arm in the engine and reassemble everything.

Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully I'll have my ex250 back up and running in no time!