ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 16th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Chain and Sprockets

Ok, so over the past 13000 miles, my chain maintenance has been attrocious. I've cleaned the chain exactly once, that being sometime after 12000 miles, and it was nothing more than spraying degreaser on there, letting it sit and then spraying it off with the hose, (I just now bought the tool to do it properly) and I did not lubricate it often enough. I was doing 150 miles a day, and was trying to do it every other day, but sometimes I'd go 2-3 weeks without lubing it. Now I commute closer to home, around 200 miles a week, and somehow I'm remembering to lube it more often.

So, now my sprockets are looking pretty worn, and my chain makes a clunk sound as it goes around the front sprocket. I'm hoping it's the chain anyway. Or the sprocket, just not something serious.

Anyway, so now it's time to change them out, is it better to buy them as a set or just shop around and buy them separately? Some of the ones I was looking at, (the less expensive sets) had aluminum rear sprockets, and that just will not do for me. Also, how much should I expect to pay for a decent chain rivet tool? I'm probably going to want to do it myself, although I might do the sprockets and have a shop do the chain if the tools are too pricey.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

You get what you pay for

If I were you i'd buy an o-ring chain, front and rear sprockets and take it to a shop to fit, for the price of a decent chain tool you could get a professional to do it properly.

And take better care of your new chain and sprockets.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #3
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
You get what you pay for

If I were you i'd buy an o-ring chain, front and rear sprockets and take it to a shop to fit, for the price of a decent chain tool you could get a professional to do it properly.

And take better care of your new chain and sprockets.
I don't intend to cheap out. I'm just wondering if a set might be better than buying them separately, maybe the machining just fits together better if everything is from the same company, and wears more slowly, or not so much.

And if I can get the tool for the same price as the shop, I'll do it myself, and the next time will be free.

Old March 16th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
They say you get the longest life by buying as a set. The tools aren't that expensive but one could always spend a mint on tools.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #5
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
They say you get the longest life by buying as a set. The tools aren't that expensive but one could always spend a mint on tools.
So I guess I should look for a set, then.

I'd rather get the tool, really, because then if I need to I can always take the chain off and put it back on.

Old March 16th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #6
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

And when I was talking about the expensive sets, I keep seeing sets that are around 300 dollars, which seems steep for a chain and two sprockets.

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Dont have to buy them in a set. Look for a good front and rear sprocket and then look for a chain. By set people just mean same manufacturer for front and back. You can rent a chain break tool from cycle gear for free, just buy it, use it, tell them it sucked and bring it back. It takes like an hour tops to change all of it out and you feel good about yourself knowing you did it.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #8
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Dont have to buy them in a set. Look for a good front and rear sprocket and then look for a chain. By set people just mean same manufacturer for front and back. You can rent a chain break tool from cycle gear for free, just buy it, use it, tell them it sucked and bring it back. It takes like an hour tops to change all of it out and you feel good about yourself knowing you did it.
No, if I buy it I'll keep it, I'm doing less mile now than I was but I'll still need to be replacing the chain again sooner or later.

Old March 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
..........Anyway, so now it's time to change them out, is it better to buy them as a set or just shop around and buy them separately?.......
A reputable brand is more important than a "matching set".

There is not such a thing anyway, since the manufacturers of chains don't cut the sprockets.

The dimensional tolerances cannot vary enough to make a difference, because they are machined with standard cutting tools that either manufacturer don't produce themselves.

The advantage of the reputable brand is in the material that they use and the quality of the heat treatment.

Proper cleaning and lubrication (type and frequency) is more important for the longevity and performance than the material and the previously mentioned factors.

The quality of the tool you buy for this one and future installations is also important to press the master link properly, avoiding over-stress and premature wear of the O-rings.

No chain is stronger than its weakest link
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #10
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
A reputable brand is more important than a "matching set".

There is not such a thing anyway, since the manufacturers of chains don't cut the sprockets.

The dimensional tolerances cannot vary enough to make a difference, because they are machined with standard cutting tools that either manufacturer don't produce themselves.

The advantage of the reputable brand is in the material that they use and the quality of the heat treatment.

Proper cleaning and lubrication (type and frequency) is more important for the longevity and performance than the material and the previously mentioned factors.

The quality of the tool you buy for this one and future installations is also important to press the master link properly, avoiding over-stress and premature wear of the O-rings.

No chain is stronger than its weakest link
agreed.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #11
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

when you say matching set i think about used versus new sprockets.

it is better to replace chain and sprockets at the same time if there's wear.
this way the parts wear together, otherwise you could have one bad component accelerating wear to the others.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #12
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
when you say matching set i think about used versus new sprockets.

it is better to replace chain and sprockets at the same time if there's wear.
this way the parts wear together, otherwise you could have one bad component accelerating wear to the others.
Yeah, that's the plan, I haven't even measured the chain like you are supposed to to see if it's worn, I just figure that the sprockets are starting to wear, so when I do them I'll do the chain. Or if the chain causes me any problems first I'll replace them all together.

Old March 18th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #13
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

I recently did my chain and sprockets. Total cost was $146. I got everything from Amazon. I used JT sprockets (JTR486.45 and JTF516.15), an RK 520-106 O-ring chain and riveted link, and a generic chain tool, which is sturdy and has done two 520 chains easily, although I did not break the chains, just cut a link with a Dremel cutting wheel and pulled them off.

The tool I bought was:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #14
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagobob View Post
I recently did my chain and sprockets. Total cost was $146. I got everything from Amazon. I used JT sprockets (JTR486.45 and JTF516.15), an RK 520-106 O-ring chain and riveted link, and a generic chain tool, which is sturdy and has done two 520 chains easily, although I did not break the chains, just cut a link with a Dremel cutting wheel and pulled them off.

The tool I bought was:

I have a grinder, and multiple saws, removing a chain is no issue, I can probably even remove one by just grinding off the rivet head, I just need to be able to install a new one.

How much were your sprockets? 100 bucks for chain and sprockets seems a bit low to me.

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I have a grinder, and multiple saws, removing a chain is no issue, I can probably even remove one by just grinding off the rivet head, I just need to be able to install a new one.

How much were your sprockets? 100 bucks for chain and sprockets seems a bit low to me.
The sprockets were $40. Basic steel JT sprockets, 15T front, 45T rear. Both fit perfectly.

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #16
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagobob View Post
The sprockets were $40. Basic steel JT sprockets, 15T front, 45T rear. Both fit perfectly.
So, 60ish for the chain? I thought RK ran higher than that.
Maybe I'm getting my brands mixed up.

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #17
lgk

DID Chains are the hundred dollar ones.
i'll probably use RK for my next chain

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Well, it was $53, and I got a $2 discount because I have points on an Amazon credit card.

It's here:

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #19
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
DID Chains are the hundred dollar ones.
i'll probably use RK for my next chain
Ok, well I need a decent chain, I'm not doing the miles I was before but I'm still putting miles on at a pretty good pace, if the better chain will last that much longer then I'll spend the money on it.

Thinking about a chain oiler, but I don't know if it's worth it, if I want to spend that right now.

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #20
lgk

Quote:
Ok, well I need a decent chain, I'm not doing the miles I was before but I'm still putting miles on at a pretty good pace, if the better chain will last that much longer then I'll spend the money on it.

Thinking about a chain oiler, but I don't know if it's worth it, if I want to spend that right now.
the chain oiler is worth it if you're lazy or just don't have time to maintain it.

they are both decent IMO, but if given a choice i would pay extra for the DID.

Old March 18th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #21
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
the chain oiler is worth it if you're lazy or just don't have time to maintain it.

they are both decent IMO, but if given a choice i would pay extra for the DID.
I keep hearing that the chain oiler only holds a little bit of oil, so you keep having to refill it almost as much as you would have to lube the chain, but I don't know if that's true.

Old March 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #22
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

You can buy quite a bit of chain lube for the cost of a Scottoiler. They are good and convenient to have, but I'd rather just prop it up on the rear stand and spin the tire.