ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 27th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

Name: jd

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

front sprocket

well ive read through the threads on removing the nut on the front sprocket and i guess mine is on super tight , im using a torque wrench and pulling well over 200lbs on it, it is bending my handle on my wrench, dont have access to impact at moment, any ideas??
miniguns167 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #2
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Use a cheater bar... put a piece of pipe over the handle, to make the total tool length longer. If you're bending the handle on your torque wrench, you might try using a breaker bar or even a wrench instead.

If you can haul/tow your bike, you might try stopping by an automotive garage and ask an auto technician to break it loose for you with an impact wrench.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #3
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

Name: jd

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

i managed to break it loose i guess i just had to get pissed lol. thanks anyways. do you know how much torque it calls for when i put it back on?
miniguns167 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #4
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniguns167 View Post
i managed to break it loose i guess i just had to get pissed lol. thanks anyways. do you know how much torque it calls for when i put it back on?
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Fastene...Specifications

Old September 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniguns167 View Post
im using a torque wrench and pulling well over 200lbs on it, it is bending my handle on my wrench, dont have access to impact at moment, any ideas??
You did WHAT!!??!??!?

Never, EVER use a torque wrench to loosen a fastener!

That's a really, really good way to destroy your torque wrench!

If it's super-tight, do the following:

1) Go to Sears and purchase a half-inch drive breaker bar and a half-inch drive socket of the appropriate size. Also a few feet of pipe big enough to slip over the handle of the breaker bar, if you don't have it at home.

2) Use the breaker bar with pipe extension to apply a large amount of force to the fastener. If you do it right you can also carefully position a car jack under the handle and use it to apply even more force. I've used the jack-and-wrench method to loosen really, REALLY stuck stuff... like iron drain pipes that were installed 75 years ago. It's very dangerous, but effective.

3) Once the fastener is loose, take the now-bent breaker bar back to Sears for the Craftsman refund. A sheepish grin might help here.

If the "use a bigger lever" method fails, you might also try heating the fastener (CAREFULLY) with a propane torch, but it's easy to damage stuff that way.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote