ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Responses to the cagers....

I've just about had it with people I dont even know telling me how "dangerous" motorcycles are, or how they once saw a motorcycle accident 10 years ago, or how some obscure person back in the day died....

Normally I just "Uh huh" them, and move on.

But today was the last straw...

Im at the grocery checkout counter and this antiquated clerk sees my helmet and says, "You know a motorcyclist was killed yesterday out on (insert road name here), those things are dangerous".

I replied" NO, its the over-caffienated soccer mom, with 8 screaming kids in the back of a SUV that is WAY to big for her to properly maneuver with a cell phone stuck in one ear, while trying to inhale a big mac, and retrieve her diet pill from the purse on the floorboard of the passenger side, the teenager who just got their license, with no insurance, in a rice burning honda civic, and the old retiree who cant see over the steering wheel, and the town drunk that's dangerous....Motorcycles are SAFE."

Ill take the blank stare I recieved as a sign of a light bulb coming on.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #2
SCREEM
ninjette.org member

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 08 connie 14, 08 honda ruckus(gave to mom)

lol, I get that some too, I just smile and agree with them
SCREEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #3
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

you go man!!
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Hehehe, I like!!!!

I know how you feel. You can only shrug off that sort of thing for so long before you just.... SNAP!!! I mean, alot of the accidents involving motorcycles were because some idiot cager was too distracted to notice them. Not because the motorcyclist was doing anything stupid. Granted there is alot of stupid motorcyclists that help cause them, but not all. It's not so much the bike that's dangerous, it's the lack of protection from the idiots in cages out on the road that's the dangerous part.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #5
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

That has never bothered me- People calling bikes dangerous. I just agree and say "Yep, just like me." smile and walk off.

NOW the most irritating comment I get is when I am dressed head to toe in gear. Carrying my helmet in the store and people ask- "Do you ride a bike?"- I just smile politely as I walk away and say "Na, I just drive my car really really fast."

I realize that people are just trying to start a conversation; but it is a stupid question- so I just have fun with it. Usually, we both have a good laugh.

Old November 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #6
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpsiguy View Post
That has never bothered me- People calling bikes dangerous. I just agree and say "Yep, just like me." smile and walk off.

NOW the most irritating comment I get is when I am dressed head to toe in gear. Carrying my helmet in the store and people ask- "Do you ride a bike?"- I just smile politely as I walk away and say "Na, I just drive my car really really fast."

I realize that people are just trying to start a conversation; but it is a stupid question- so I just have fun with it. Usually, we both have a good laugh.
People in my office say the same thing when sitting on my desk is my helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. Or, where on the converse, I will walk in wearing my street clothes and the same folks will say how was your ride? Go figure.

Old November 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #7
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Just brush it off. In all, I am more likely to die on my bike than in my car. Not because of me, but because of others. I accept it and I tell people all the time.

Another one that people say is, "Do you always were all that gear whenever you ride?"

"Yes," I say, "I have seen too many people get hurt seriously when it could have been avoided. I always where my gear to help protect myself. But I also know it won't do much good if some idiot on a cell phone runs me over at an intersection."

Just have fun and educate as many people as you can, I always try to be polite. I never take offense by these comments, but I always try to educate those that make them.

I also recommend the MSF Basic Riders Course to just about anyone who doesn't ride as a fun (vacation like) activity. Think about it... People go to the Bahamas and take scuba diving lessons and never dive again in their life after their vacation. Why not Motorcycles?

(So far only one girl has ever taken my advice on the MSF Course)

Old November 9th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #8
SVBS
ninjette.org member

Name: KT

Motorcycle(s): 1 of them Big Four

Quote:

Depending on my moods when they asked, sometime I just reply "Nope just dressing up to look cool.."
SVBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #9
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
People in my office say the same thing when sitting on my desk is my helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. Or, where on the converse, I will walk in wearing my street clothes and the same folks will say how was your ride? Go figure.
That gets on my nerves. Its like if you don't see any gear what so ever then I am obviously not riding. These are people that should know me well enough to know I wear all my gear when I am riding. Man, is it that hard of thing to process in someones brain.
When people tell me its dangerous I just say yeah it is especially because so many people drive around carelessly.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #10
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

On the flip side, I once had a family come over and ask me, excitedly, "How was the ride? Must've been awesome in the canyons back there. That a 600?" I smile and then 5mins later everybody's in a good mood.

You cant let the negatives bother you. It's annoying but it helps to remember the laws of stupidity.

http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~leeey...dity/basic.htm

I try my hardest to avoid being one of them. I may not succeed but I'm damn proud for trying.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #11
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
Just brush it off. In all, I am more likely to die on my bike than in my car. Not because of me, but because of others. I accept it and I tell people all the time.

Another one that people say is, "Do you always were all that gear whenever you ride?"

"Yes," I say, "I have seen too many people get hurt seriously when it could have been avoided. I always where my gear to help protect myself. But I also know it won't do much good if some idiot on a cell phone runs me over at an intersection."

Just have fun and educate as many people as you can, I always try to be polite. I never take offense by these comments, but I always try to educate those that make them.

I also recommend the MSF Basic Riders Course to just about anyone who doesn't ride as a fun (vacation like) activity. Think about it... People go to the Bahamas and take scuba diving lessons and never dive again in their life after their vacation. Why not Motorcycles?

(So far only one girl has ever taken my advice on the MSF Course)
Incredibly correct. In my opinion at least. But people are stubborn and don't want to budge from their point of view. Everyone on the road should try to drive almost anything drivable, and get a feeling of what its like. Simply broadens your views and makes you more aware of things and situations around you.

And for the responses, i am tired of explaining.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
My version of that is "No, I just have a hard time walking. I fall down a lot."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVBS View Post
Depending on my moods when they asked, sometime I just reply "Nope just dressing up to look cool.."
"Nah, I just always wanted to be a Power Ranger when I was a kid."
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #13
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:

LOL! Awesome Kevin!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #14
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Funny - I had an older gent (prolly in his 70s) and his wife approach me in the grocery store parking last night - I was expecting something critical, but no. He says, "[insert whistle] That looks fun...is it fast?"

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #15
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I would just reply that twelve motorcyclists will die today, and six of those will be killed by a driver who just didn't give a sh!t enough to care if they murdered a rider today or not. Because it's true.

Last futzed with by FrugalNinja250; November 10th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #16
JeffM
Mr. 988

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
That gets on my nerves. Its like if you don't see any gear what so ever then I am obviously not riding. These are people that should know me well enough to know I wear all my gear when I am riding. Man, is it that hard of thing to process in someones brain.
When people tell me its dangerous I just say yeah it is especially because so many people drive around carelessly.
Yep, and then you think to yourself - These same people are the ones that drive home with you after work

Old November 10th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

LOL yea those damn cagers! Car owning fools they are...what with their cars and what not. We should pass laws outlawing cars and stuff. Same goes for those damned pedestrians...and their stupid legs and shoes. Damn them all!!1!!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Im at the grocery checkout counter and this antiquated clerk sees my helmet and says, "You know a motorcyclist was killed yesterday out on (insert road name here), those things are dangerous".

I replied" NO, its the over-caffienated soccer mom, with 8 screaming kids in the back of a SUV that is WAY to big for her to properly maneuver with a cell phone stuck in one ear, while trying to inhale a big mac, and retrieve her diet pill from the purse on the floorboard of the passenger side, the teenager who just got their license, with no insurance, in a rice burning honda civic, and the old retiree who cant see over the steering wheel, and the town drunk that's dangerous....Motorcycles are SAFE."

you go Bryan!!! it IS very irritating when people think they should throw in their two cents.

Old November 12th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #19
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
I've just about had it with people I dont even know telling me how "dangerous" motorcycles are, or how they once saw a motorcycle accident 10 years ago, or how some obscure person back in the day died....

LOL You sir deserve a medal.
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #20
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

You folks are lucky. I get the "Aren't you a little old to be riding one of THOSE things?" I suppose a more age appropriate bike would be a Harley or a touring bike painted in some obscure colour, not--"Alex, What the hell are you doing riding a snot green crotch rocket?" I guess that for many years I was a fairly well known long distance sailor--people just don't expect to see me arrive on one of "those things" Conformity sucks.

Old November 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #21
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Now you guys reminded me of some jack*** who said to me "How many tickets have you got." I almost snapped on him, lucky his wife didn't stop the car long enough for me to conjure up stuff to say to him. Only thing I got to say was no. bdavision I feel ya

Old November 12th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #22
Havok
Internet Slut

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

It sucks and from time to time it gets to me. I have a vendor at work that every day for the past 3 months tells me about some bullshit accident that is most likely not true an last week I snapped. I just told him that I am an adult and aware of the dangers and accept them. That I no longer need to hear about these on a daily basis. That even my mommy is Cool with me riding so you can pretty much shut the **** up about it. The mommy comment followed bu the stfu in a pissed off voice threw him for a serious loop and it was the last I heard from him about it lol.

Though I am stealing the op's response
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #23
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
You folks are lucky. I get the "Aren't you a little old to be riding one of THOSE things?" I suppose a more age appropriate bike would be a Harley or a touring bike painted in some obscure colour, not--"Alex, What the hell are you doing riding a snot green crotch rocket?" I guess that for many years I was a fairly well known long distance sailor--people just don't expect to see me arrive on one of "those things" Conformity sucks.
You are in a good positon for comebacks; one that comes to mind: "I'm riding this while my bicycle is in the shop." That would be great.

Old November 12th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #24
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I usually reply with, "yes I know its dangerous, AND scary thats why I keep my eyes closed when I ride. . ."
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #25
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
You are in a good positon for comebacks; one that comes to mind: "I'm riding this while my bicycle is in the shop." That would be great.
Truong, That's priceless. I'll definitely use that one. Can you believe this weather for mid November! Still riding. Will probably take the bike to Togus this Tuesday.

Old November 13th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #26
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Truong, That's priceless. I'll definitely use that one. Can you believe this weather for mid November! Still riding. Will probably take the bike to Togus this Tuesday.
Glad to help. Ya, saw tons of bikes out today.

Old November 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #27
808yewtube
ninjette.org member

Name: mrs808

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250EX

Quote:

Great retort! I gotta borrow that one... hehe!

Link to original page on YouTube.

808yewtube is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #28
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808yewtube View Post

That is a fantastic video The music was awesome lmao.

Old November 13th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #29
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

Quote:

Haha I remember that road; it's the Hawaii Kai area (?). Last time I was in Oahu they were doing serious construction on it. It looks like the second guy was pulling out of Hanauma Bay (??).

Super cool... riding around Oahu (and the big isle!!) is on my "ToDo b4 I die" list, even if I have to rent something!!

And as for people telling me motorcycles are dangerous, I usually just say it's cars who cause problems (though I can use better gear...). I remember reading somewhere that insured+geared riders account for less than a third of crashes. Maybe somebody can confirm this? I've never said it to anyone in public or accepted it since I forgot the link to the study.
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #30
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2003 YZF600R, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I love it, when I got in my accident (Civic Center Drive at the Irving station, for the Mainahs here, on 8-9-10) some random woman stopped and told me motorcycles are dangerous. I looked at her and not so calmly pointed out that dipshits in trucks all excited to get home to down their Bud Light not paying the **** attention when they pull into traffic are dangerous, my bike was completely safe thank you.

Old November 14th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #31
Havok
Internet Slut

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

This,

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...rest-made.html

Now there was nothing unsafe about the bikes or riders. A POS cager decided to pass, 5 bikers are gone that did nothing wrong. I hope they get the guy that ran and charge him with murder.

Bikes are safe, impatient ****tards in cages that don't give a **** about anything are dangerous.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #32
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

People are funny huh?

It's not as if they are expressing any real concern, usually. Seems some folks just can't resist an opportunity to put someone down....

Them:
"You know those things are dangerous...."
Me:
"Yeah, so is talking to strangers...."

Ah well, ya can't just sit on the couch forever.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #33
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

The hard part about responding to other people's negative comments about motorcycles and riding is not sounding like an ass. A negative response puts fuel to the 'biker with an attitude problem' stereotype.
My favorite response is simply, "OK." Then I just move on.

Old November 16th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #34
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
The hard part about responding to other people's negative comments about motorcycles and riding is not sounding like an ass. A negative response puts fuel to the 'biker with an attitude problem' stereotype.
My favorite response is simply, "OK." Then I just move on.
Very true. A smile and a chuckle usually precedes my response...they usually smile back....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #35
8gauge
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Limited Edition - R.I.P. 12/2/2010

hey yewtube, what's the name of that song in your video? it's way awesome. i love the helmet, but the red one is cooler. just saying. haha

Old November 17th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #36
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I did a search for a phrase in the song and came up with:

Pray For You by Jaron & The Long Road To Love

To 808yewtube, does your camera have a mic input? Or were you recording sound separately? I've got a ContourHD but the built-in mic only gets wind noise and I'm looking for something better.

BTW, cool videos you posted, what editing software/hardware are you using?
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 01:54 AM   #37
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
I've got a ContourHD but the built-in mic only gets wind noise and I'm looking for something better.
Get a cheap lecture recorder and an external mic then just tape the mic to your chin piece on your helmet. It's the setup I use in the motovlog in my sig.

Old November 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM   #38
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:

Would it cross the lgehumping threshold to observe that 808 has beautiful eyes?
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM   #39
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great video.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote