ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 29th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #1
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

Accidental badass. S*** scared, look cool, pull it off.

One of those Oh S*** moments.

A while back while on a favourite twisty road dotted with a few bus stops a friend and i decided to have a jaunty spin through the woods. After being stuck behind granny for a good portion an opportunity to slip by presented itself just before one of these bus stops (crammed with lasses mind you). Hard on the throttle and clickin up gears in a long sweeper i failed to recognize a giant drop in the road, Right in front of the bus stop. so as i hammer the throttle leaned a few degrees over the front lifts inducing one of those OH GOD!!! moments, While Figuring out how to handle it the back drops the hell out down this dip in the road like something straight out of the good old TT.
So here i am. S*** scared with a bike posed like a cobra and ready to rape the rear end of my mate out in front while staring at the sky, Still looking cool. The birds at the bus stop look on in awe as this twat goes screaming by dancing on his rear tire.

In this period time (maybe 3 second wheelie) i had a generous amount of time to contemplate the ramifications of my actions, the possibility of life after death, how much damage my bike will sustain, who my extensive collection of ****** LP's will go to and so on. Yet the whole time all i could think of is how bitching sweet it would be to see this from that bus stop.

Thoughts aside The front end touches down a second after the rear and bounces like an inbred 4yr old with ADHD snapping me back into focus. Remembering all those hours in parking lots and wise words of MSF instructors i'm able with a little bar pressure to smooth it out and ride on cool as old joey dunlop himself. Granted i had a new load in my pants and a few more points on the Squid-O-Meter... A little more caution was due for the rest of the ride.

Accidental badassery(Stupidity) luckily with a happy ending and some sweet looks from the ladies.

Anyone else have some Accidental badass stories?
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

This was done on a 250 ?

10 mins ago I got on my zx10 a little on the entrance ramp to the highway and my rear tire broke traction and slid out from under me. Probably looked weird to the guy behind me. I got her back in check before I got on the highway but I was smelling burnt rubber all the way home. Probably looked cool as I was "drifting" up the ramp but kinda scary, I thank God for my dirt bike experience, otherwise I wouldnt have known how to correct it.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
This was done on a 250 ?
That was the first thing I wondered too...
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
You power wheelied a 250 in 3rd?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #5
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Oh yeah, RD400. just a bit more go.

Old August 29th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #6
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Have ahd it happen before while hauling ass on an unfamiliar road trying to keep up with a R1 - amazing how much you think about in such a short time period.

Old August 30th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Someone cut me off at a traffic signal (they jumped out of the straight lane into the left turn lane with no signal), and after honking and yelling, I had that typical "what an asshole!" adrenaline rush. That, combined with the already yellow light, I ripped through the left turn, and my center stand scraped on the ground and my rear went WAY out. Caught it and did a big high-side wiggle, keeping both wheels on the ground. Probably looked badass to the cars to the right, but I thoroughly crapped my pants.

Old August 30th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
You power wheelied a 250 in 3rd?
No, he speed jumped/wheelied over a hump in the road. There are 4 of these types of humps within 3 miles from my house. In the 10yrs I have lived here, I have resisted to jump them. Expect for one time and it was caught on video and in front of 2 hd riders lol (I am sure they had some choice about me). I have to give it up to the lil ninja, cause my 2 wheeled air experience was butter smooth and uneventful.

But it was cool for about a minute, then I realized how dumb I was.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, going airborne is amazing, and then about a mile later you're like, "huh, I coulda just died for no reason whatsoever"

But a motorcycle jumps much more smoothly than a mountain bike. Just hold with your knees, keep the nose level with the throttle, and hope you don't go sideways
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 11:14 AM   #10
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
Have ahd it happen before while hauling ass on an unfamiliar road trying to keep up with a R1 - amazing how much you think about in such a short time period.
yep, last couple times I went down it was about 2-3 seconds maybe even less before I hit the ground. I clearly remember thinking to myself "I'm not gonna die but bloody hell my pretty plastics are gonna be ****ed". I assume if I do die on my bike it'll be too quick for me to even think about it...

Old August 31st, 2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Silvertwister
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I've had plenty of Oh Sh*t moments, but the only cool one nobody was around to see. I used to have a katana 600, and one of the interstate interchanges on my way to work had been converted from a normal exit to a really huge sweeping flyover ramp (see map below). I had this bright idea that if I was edged against the outer retainer wall I could take the curve really obscenely fast without risk of losing traction. That idea was in fact correct and I pressed my tires into the nook where the wall meets road pushing about 120mph. Suddenly the bike shifted to the outside a little and I felt my blood run cold. In my infinite wisdom, I hadn't considered the shape of the wall (see picture 2). It has a small bump at the bottom then slopes up for almost a foot. I had bumped up onto the slope. That curve as you can tell is really long, but at 120mph, I barely had time to think about how I was going to get off the wall. Luckily my guardian angel stepped in and as I eased off the throttle for lack of any better ideas, the bike slide more or less safely back onto the road surface from the wall. Needless to say, I haven't tried that again.

Overhead of flyover:

View of wall on flyover:
Silvertwister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 12:43 PM   #12
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

All i can say is....WOW. That seems bad-ass to have as an experience. Glad you made it off the wall

Old August 31st, 2012, 12:51 PM   #13
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Holy balls, Thunderdome.