ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

CR500 AF 2-Stroke Street Racer

The CR500 engine is back, being repurposed in a different frame.

I began building a SV650/CR500 street racer hybrid since over 2 years ago, I lost interest in that project late last year and turned out a lighter more interesting plan out of the easiest tried and true CR250 dirtbike conversions you see just about everywhere on the web.

I began to purchase nearly all of my parts off of ebay; I only bought things that are serious deals. Lots of my items were listed incorrectly so nobody could find them, but a couple special searches over the course of a few years and you can find anything. I guess I'm an ebay junkie, haha. I LIKE CHEAP!

Anyways, its all built around a '99 CR250 frame that I got for $35 with shipping. It was fairly easy to get the CR500 engine mounted in this frame. Only 2 new mounting tabs needed to me made, all the rest of the mounts and swingarm bolt lined up perfectly. I still have to create a solid headstay, though.

With a 2006 GSXR600 front end that I intended to put on the SV with steering the stem swapped out from a CR250 triples, and had a bushing made for the GSXR top tree to fit. I had a tab made and welded to the frame for the GSXR steering stabilizer, too.

CBR600F3 wheel is on the front with CBR1100XX Blackbird discs (same diameter of the discs that would have been on the GSXR front end) drilled to fit and bearings swapped to fit onto the GSXR axle. The discs are offset a little, but that offset along with the F3 wheel the discs fit PERFECTLY between the GSXR calipers... I couldn't believe my eyes! No additional spacers or machining required!

The rear swingarm is a CR125 part that came powdercoated and has the right spacers in it to fit the CR500 engine. This was the trickiest part of the project was to fit a CBR600F2 wheel(the F2 is slimmer than the F3, this is important, same style though) onto the CR250 axle. The bearings were the right size, but the width of the sprocket carrier was too massively wide. Lots of machining went into that wheel and the cushdrive to make it fit and get the chain alignment right. An R6 rear brake caliper and bracket were on hand in the parts bin, so it was made to work on the other side with a bushing made from a CR250 wheel spacer and some minor machining to the bracket.... It was a TIGHT fit for all of this, but it all works wonderfully together!

So I had some Battlax tires fit to it, and began to assemble it all in the shop. Rather than have a CR250 rear shock converted to street by having it resprung and revalved (EXPENSIVE!) I opted for a cheap ebay ZX10 shock that is already set up for street and made it fit instead. I created a adapter template out of wood to extend the shock and brought that to a machinist have one cut from billet. I'm a heavy guy so this should work OK.

The wheelbase is a few inches shorter than my SV650, and the projected wet weight when complete is 220lbs.

The Formula 450/Super Single/450Moto bikes that are being developed in parallel to my design of this project are VERY similiar! But I think mine is way cooler!

Also, Roland Sands built a cafe-racer similar to this about the same time I got started on mine, I didn't even know it existed until last summer. I'm a little bummed that mine wasn't first! LOL!

TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #2
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Here's a couple videos, first is a slideshow of the project parts and mockup assembly, the rest of the videos actually show live-action assembly progress

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old May 24th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #3
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

That beast will rip. I had a CR500 MX bike in the 80's and it was a blast.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #4
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
That beast will rip. I had a CR500 MX bike in the 80's and it was a blast.
Thanks for the comment, you're obviously the first one, haha.

I'm excited about this project, but I've just run into a problem... my brand new 150 tire isn't a 150 at all.... it measures out to a 160 even though its labelled a 150!!!!!!! WTF! Bleh!

This pisses me off because now the tire hits the chain which we did all that very meticulous measuring and machining for to make this all work... blah! No room to make changes... might have to install a 140 tire.... if its oversized like this one it'll probably clear just fine.

I'm gonna see what else I can do, photos and another video are to follow.

Old May 24th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #5
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Looks great so far - I bet it will be blast to ride.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #6
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Metallic Island Blue)

Nice job, Duck. I remember reading a blog some time ago that mentioned a conversion kit for MX-Street bikes for a "cheap" track racer. (I guess they never heard of a 250 haha) Anyway, your bike looks like it will be a lot meaner!

EDIT: found it http://www.450gp.com/EN/vehicles.html
tabogon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #7
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabogon View Post
Nice job, Duck. I remember reading a blog some time ago that mentioned a conversion kit for MX-Street bikes for a "cheap" track racer. (I guess they never heard of a 250 haha) Anyway, your bike looks like it will be a lot meaner!

EDIT: found it http://www.450gp.com/EN/vehicles.html
Yep, thats pretty much what I've been building, its kinda funny that they developed the 450GP class in parallel to what I was doing all along. I'm not saying anyone stole anyone else's idea, but what they are doing gives me a spectaluar amount of special conversion parts availability. There are lots of things I can buy now instead of what I had to have custom-machined!

Old May 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #8
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

I love the idea. I found a news article on the kit about a year ago on some blog and thought how cheap and awesome it would be, until I found out that the kit alone is right around $6500+shipping from Spain. If I ever do something like that, I will go your route as well. A least there are some pretty decent aftermarket fairing companies out there if you plan on putting some on.
tabogon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #9
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
I love the idea. I found a news article on the kit about a year ago on some blog and thought how cheap and awesome it would be, until I found out that the kit alone is right around $6500+shipping from Spain. If I ever do something like that, I will go your route as well. A least there are some pretty decent aftermarket fairing companies out there if you plan on putting some on.
Yes fairings, already have them, too! Hehe! They are a secret until I have them mounted though

Just keep in mind I have just under $2k in parts right now, because I was a cheapskate. I probably have about another $2k in maching alone, and my tires were a trade out.

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #10
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

SNEAK PEEK, SNEAK PEEK! You definitely have my attention.

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #11
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
SNEAK PEEK, SNEAK PEEK! You definitely have my attention.
Nah, I don't want to answer questions as to what it all is yet, lol. That will probably be the first and most repeated question.

What is it?

Pffffft!

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #12
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #13
backinthesaddleagain

Just keep one finger on the clutch at all times. I am sure you know but the 2 stroke gets its oil from the premix and in some situations you might be off the throttle (therefore no gas/oil), but the engine is still spinning.

Cool project.

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #14
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Just keep one finger on the clutch at all times. I am sure you know but the 2 stroke gets its oil from the premix and in some situations you might be off the throttle (therefore no gas/oil), but the engine is still spinning.

Cool project.
Well.... NOT no gas/oil... but certainly far less through the idle circuit than at WFO... when the engine is turning high RPMs with minimal lube, it is deadly on rod bearings.

The idea is to run the bike significantly richer, and mix the oil heavy to help compensate.

That should help for what its worth!

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuck View Post
Well.... NOT no gas/oil... but certainly far less through the idle circuit than at WFO... when the engine is turning high RPMs with minimal lube, it is deadly on rod bearings.

The idea is to run the bike significantly richer, and mix the oil heavy to help compensate.

That should help for what its worth!
True that on the idle circuit. Guess I was extreme. Years ago I had an oil injected 2 stroke enduro bike. I think that flowed some extra oil even with throttle closed if revs were high (some sort of centrifigal force actuated set up or something back in 1977.)

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #16
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
True that on the idle circuit. Guess I was extreme. Years ago I had an oil injected 2 stroke enduro bike. I think that flowed some extra oil even with throttle closed if revs were high (some sort of centrifigal force actuated set up or something back in 1977.)
I've been looking for some kind of oil injection supplemental system I can retrofit to this bike to add oil only at small (1/4 or less) throttle openings, the rest of the range would be fed by regular premix.

I haven't found a damn thing!

Old May 25th, 2010, 06:29 AM   #17
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Only thing I can think of that might work is the oil injection system of Tomos mopeds. They are designed to run all the time, but you might be able to work something out. You can get them pretty cheap too because at high rpms it doesn't provide enough oil alone, so people strip them off and sell them.

Old May 25th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #18
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Only thing I can think of that might work is the oil injection system of Tomos mopeds. They are designed to run all the time, but you might be able to work something out. You can get them pretty cheap too because at high rpms it doesn't provide enough oil alone, so people strip them off and sell them.
I used to work on those things... Tomos = crap that breaks.

The oil injection system was notorious for failure.... lol, pass...

Old May 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #19
backinthesaddleagain

The Yamaha autolube system metered oil based on throttle position and engine rpm (driven off the crank - I think). so even if the throttle was backed off, but the bike was blasting down a hill or something the crank speed would make the pump continue to feed oil.

Last futzed with by backinthesaddleagain; May 25th, 2010 at 09:30 AM.

Old May 25th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #20
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
The Yamaha autolube system metered oil based on throttle position and engine rpm (driven off the crank - I think). so even if the throttle was backed off, but the bike was blasting down a hill or something the crank speed would make the pump continue to fee oil.
I'll have to look at one of those.

Old May 25th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #21
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Just give me a call when it's done and you need a test pilot.

Old May 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #22
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Duckman,

Your projects are great! It's fantastic that you can explain every detail, even why a certain bolt was used. I always enjoy reading your stuff.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #23
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I forgot to say, "nice garage"!

Old May 25th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #24
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Not sure if this will help, but most snowmobiles are oil injected. Might wana look that way if all else fails.
Cool project.
Id love to see something like that at the track.
For your next project you can wedge a 350 or 400 2 stroke twin out of a banshee into a 250 frame.
Id love to try that on the track.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #25
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Not sure if this will help, but most snowmobiles are oil injected. Might wana look that way if all else fails.
Cool project.
Id love to see something like that at the track.
For your next project you can wedge a 350 or 400 2 stroke twin out of a banshee into a 250 frame.
Id love to try that on the track.
There ya go - an old Kawi 3 cyl 2 stroke 500 motor in a modern frame with brakes that work.

Old February 13th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #26
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Ahhhhhhhhhh! I've been neglecting to update this thread!

Old February 13th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #27
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Old February 13th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #28
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Old February 13th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #29
TheDuck
Da Duckman

And this one should bring you up to date.

Old February 13th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #30
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Ahhh, almost forgot. I have a new Youtube channel ONLY for my motorcycle toys and other gearhead projects.

Check out DuckmanCycles, and SUBSCRIBE for updates!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DuckmanCycles

Old February 14th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #32
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuck View Post
I'm excited about this project, but I've just run into a problem... my brand new 150 tire isn't a 150 at all.... it measures out to a 160 even though its labelled a 150!!!!!!! WTF! Bleh!
Not all motorcycle tire manufacturers measure their tires the same. Some, measure across the surface of the tread. Some measure straight across the tire, ignoring the curve of the tread, from the edge of the tread (about 1/4-1/2 inch in from the edge of the tire) to the same point on the opposite side. And then there are one or two that measure from outside edge to outside edge, again, straight across, ignoring the curve of the tread.

So one manufacturers 150 is another's 160 and vice versa.

It is best to see if you can find the factual measurements that the magazines often do where they measure the tire from edge to edge across the curve of the tire.

Old February 14th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #33
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyckedflesh View Post
Not all motorcycle tire manufacturers measure their tires the same.
Yeah, I've learned that quite well over the past year, even been told so repeatedly, LOL!

Old February 14th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #34
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Hey Glenn, thats gonna be one freaky crazy ride!
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 11:44 PM   #35
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Back again! I found a radiator that fits!

Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:22 AM   #36
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I think you will need a pilot's license for that rocket

Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #37
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I think you will need a pilot's license for that rocket
Someone on another forum told me it would be slow among other horrible things, lol.

I agree with you! Especially when the wheels leave the ground! :-D

Old June 20th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #38
TheDuck
Da Duckman

We're back! 2 more updates!

If you're a youtuber, you might want to subscribe to DuckmanCycles for more on this project! http://www.youtube.com/duckmancycles

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #39
taikahn
ninjette.org member

Name: Tai

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja, 71 Honda Cafe

bad ass.
taikahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #40
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
duckman, you're my hero. bike looks amazing so far. keep it up man. can't wait to see it rolling.