ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 21st, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
juanpak87
ninjette.org member

Name: juan

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

new rider who needs advice on trip from today

Hey guys, so today I went riding alone for the first time from Jersey City Heights (Carlton) to Liberty State Park in NJ. Everything was going good until I got to the park. As I was engine braking and dropping my gears from third to first, I realized that my bike was no longer running and had shut down completely right before I stopped. I turned it back on fine and continued riding to another lot. Parked for about 2 hours and decided to get back on. As I was riding, and coming to a complete stop the same way as prior, I experienced the same problem. This time though, I couldn't get the bike to start again. My gas was decent; had about a galloon and a half. So, I called my friend and asked him to jump my bike with his portable charger. Once he connected it to my battery, the bike started right up and I was able to park it again. Once again, I didn't ride for a few hours and got back on and rode a block and the same issue happened once more. I pulled over, and jumped it with a car this time but it took about 30 minutes before I was able to get it running while having my chock all the way up and my tank on reserve. My exhaust was completely cold during this time; don't know if that effects anything but something I noticed. So basically what I'm asking is, has anyone experienced anything like this or have any advice on what I should do? I took off my battery and I'm going to charge it fully and will add gas next time I ride. Could it be wire problems, shortage, or flooding? Any advice will be great. Thanks
juanpak87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Try fully charging your battery and fill the tank up. Sounds like your battery may be going bad.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to our site, Juan !!!

Is your idle as high as 3000 when the engine is cold and the choke is open?
Is the idle at ~1500 after the engine is warm?

If so, take a look at this:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Troubleshooting

When trying to re-start the engine when it is warm, don't apply choke; rather, crack the throttle open while cranking.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:12 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sup Juan! I am with snake here.

Check the battery- is it maintenance free or is there many little caps to add water? Basically, add water if you need
Battery terminals - tight & clean
Have a battery charger? Charge the battery overnight. If you have no charger, time to buy one, your a bike owner!!!
Ensure the gas cap vents are clean and clear too
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:30 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
As already noted - check the battery. The fact that it started when you jumped it tells you that is most likely your problem.

Chances are you will need a new one if it isn't charged enough after a fair amount of riding to restart the bike.

Also check your warm idle speed as Motofool noted, and get some fresh gas (87 - without ethanol if possible). It wouldn't hurt to add 1 oz per gal of Techron Concentrate fuel system cleaner. Check the inside of the tank to see if there is any amount of rust. Also check the air filter to make sure it's in decent shape.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #6
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

broken record time, battery.

buy a smart charger like a battery tender, DO NOT let shops charge it, ive lost 2 batteries because of workers who didnt know what they where doing. spend 30-40$ and save hundreds in the long run.

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #7
juanpak87
ninjette.org member

Name: juan

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Wsup guys, sorry for the late response. So i finally got time to work on my bike and its running true again. I charged the battery and it starts fine with choke and stays on. Also, had to put gas and now its great. Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely use and recommend this site for any problems i have.
juanpak87 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:36 AM   #8
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I had a similar problem with the bike stalling when coming to a stop. In short, it was because I had high test gas in there. Put regular and the problem went away.

Also, if it doesn't start with the choke, try it without the choke. It could be flooded.

And yes, your battery also sounds weak. I hope that when you jumped the bike to the car that you turned the car off first. If not, then you will probably be needing a new voltage regulator too.