ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:19 PM   #1
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Name: Ruben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 1991 Yamaha Virago XV750

Rear disc brake binding when I tighten down the 2 allen bolts. Help!

I had a tire problem and so I had to take the rear wheel off.

I have not changed the bike disc pads since I bought the bike about a year ago. I ordered new disc pads today, since they look quite worn and need replacing anyway.

But, now when I go to tighten down the 2 allen bolts that hold the rear disc unit, it binds against the rear disc rotor so much that the rear wheel will hardly turn. I left the allen bolts a little loose and took a slow ride around the block. The rear brake hardly is working at all now.

What happened and how do I fix it?

I have never worked on disc brakes before. Could one of the disc pads be misaligned? How do I put see if the disc pads are not in place right? As I mentioned, I have some new disc pads on order, but I would like to realign or get the old ones working so I can ride the next few days.

Help this old man get his little bike back so it stops again.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:53 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Is your rear wheel out of alignment?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:57 PM   #3
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
sounds like you might have put the spacers on the wheel wrong, just one thought.

taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Is your rear wheel out of alignment?
No, I checked that carefully.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
sounds like you might have put the spacers on the wheel wrong, just one thought.

That may be possible. But, I don't think so. I'm at work. I'll check when I get home.

The wheel axle can be tightened down with no binding, but as soon as I then tighten the disc allen heads, it binds on the rotor.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 03:38 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It's sounds silly, but I've heard of guys getting the rotor on the wrong side of one pad, instead of in the gap between pads.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 03:54 PM   #7
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It's sounds silly, but I've heard of guys getting the rotor on the wrong side of one pad, instead of in the gap between pads.
You know Jim, I don't find that silly at all. In fact, I think that I may have had it that way(wrong) at first when I was trying to get it back together.

That is why I was wondering if I may have knocked the pad out of place or maybe messed something else up trying to get it back right.

Can you walk me through the way I need to check to make sure it's right? As I mentioned, I'm going to have to replace the pads(front and rear) once they come in this week anyway.

I know absolutely nothing about taking disc pads out and putting them back in correctly.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:09 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

There really isn't much to it. Make sure the two pads are in position and hold them apart as you slip the disk in if they try to fall together.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:15 PM   #9
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
There really isn't much to it. Make sure the two pads are in position and hold them apart as you slip the disk in if they try to fall together.
How do you actually remove the rear brake pads?

Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:03 PM   #10
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

IIRC when I did my rear brake pads those two Allen screws run through the entire caliper and are sort of the guide for the pads to move on when you apply the brake. To remove them I simply loosened both of them and slid them out from the caliper and the pads came out. Not sure if its necessary or not but when I re assembled the rear brake I lightly greased both of those pins to help them go back in.

Its been a while since I did the pads though.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:18 AM   #11
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:

But they do fall out of position easily while getting the disc back in place, check them closely to make sure the pads are positioned in the caliper properly.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:51 AM   #12
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
IIRC when I did my rear brake pads those two Allen screws run through the entire caliper and are sort of the guide for the pads to move on when you apply the brake. To remove them I simply loosened both of them and slid them out from the caliper and the pads came out. Not sure if its necessary or not but when I re assembled the rear brake I lightly greased both of those pins to help them go back in.

Its been a while since I did the pads though.
My 2007 don't seem to be that way. On my bike, the allen screws just hold the caliper to the mount point. They are not connected to the pads.

After looking at it again last night, the pad seemed to be out of place and that is why they are binding. There is a large metal spring plate. I'm not sure how it is supposed to fit with the pads.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:55 AM   #13
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
But they do fall out of position easily while getting the disc back in place, check them closely to make sure the pads are positioned in the caliper properly.
I believe that they have fallen out of position. I went on and removed both pads and the spring plate.

Now, how do I put them back correctly. The 2 large round pistons everyone talks about in videos is different on my 2007 Ninja. Two rods on either side of the pads seem to move in and out and are fluid actuated, not the large pistons. Does that make any sense?

Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:58 AM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Fluid pushes the pistons, but it's a floating caliper, so the whole thing can move on the rods to center itself.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:04 PM   #15
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Fluid pushes the pistons, but it's a floating caliper, so the whole thing can move on the rods to center itself.
Jim, have you seen a good write up or video on how to put the flat copper looking spring in place and then install the 2 brake pads? The smaller pad with the spring is what I can't figure out how to get back in place correctly.

Sorry for being such a noob about this...

Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:34 PM   #16
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Sorry, I don't know of a video, and I don't remember anything unusual when I replaced my pads. Is the "spring" just a thin metal plate? If so, it's just an anti-rattle plate that goes behind the pad. I doubt if it matters which way it goes in. See if this tutorial helps:

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do..._brake_pads%3F

Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:45 PM   #17
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know of a video, and I don't remember anything unusual when I replaced my pads. Is the "spring" just a thin metal plate? If so, it's just an anti-rattle plate that goes behind the pad. I doubt if it matters which way it goes in. See if this tutorial helps:

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do..._brake_pads%3F
Yes Jim, the "spring" is a thin metal plate that the WIKI link you sent me calls a "anti-vibration bracket".

I had downloaded that link yesterday, but I just that I was too dumb to understand it completely. Most people describing replacing disc pads on a Ninja always show the front brake, because it's easier. And many are 2008 or newer, which are a different design.

I am only dealing with 3 simple parts. It shouldn't be that difficult, but I haven't gotten it right yet, but I will.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:13 PM   #18
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

I would like to apologize. I didnt know the rear brake on 2007 and earlier models was different from 2008 +. So dont feel like the only noob here. Haha

Learn something new everyday. I apologize again for not realizing my error sooner. I probably won't b of any further use.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:25 PM   #19
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I would like to apologize. I didnt know the rear brake on 2007 and earlier models was different from 2008 +. So dont feel like the only noob here. Haha

Learn something new everyday. I apologize again for not realizing my error sooner. I probably won't b of any further use.
No big deal my friend. I am always appreciative to anyone that tries to help another.

My bike would not be running today if it wasn't for all of the great people here! I learn something every time I come here.

I am at a point in my life that I prefer older, cheap "toys"(motorcycles) that I can take apart and not be afraid of making a mistake. I refuse to ever take my bikes to a rip-off shop again! So, it takes me longer to fix things, but I learn from each repair I make in the end.

I'll figure this problem out too. It can't be that hard. Just 3 simple parts(2 pads and a flat spring). The trick is in getting them in the right place. *smile*

Don't worry about your post. I have said MANY things here that I'm sure others roll their eyes when reading. It's all good.

Peace

Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:27 PM   #20
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Cool. Ya totally agree with what you said. Info and peiple on here have saved my butt more than a few times.