ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 4th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

The 'best' bike.

After two years and 30k miles on the 250r, with a long list of modifications, improvements, tuning, research/development -- and constant improvement, I'm torn between finding something new to scratch the itch or re-learning contentment with what I already have.

The grass truly is always greener...

Some time ago I resigned to the urge to buy a bike and chose the 250r as a re-entry into the world of motorcycling after a hiatus following a serious crash or two. The 250r has been a great bike. I have learned a lot and gained serious riding insight.

Now I find myself at a crossroad. There are two wolves within each man. One is good -- seeking to improve, heal, learn, and continually strengthen itself into a stronger iteration of what it once was. The other is continually hungry. Ravenous -- and oddly most hungry after it has stuffed itself in gluttony with what it thought it wanted most. This wolf cannot be satiated. Each new thing only brings about the same feelings of inadequacy and lack.

It has been said before -- between these two wolves, there lies a choice. The wolf that will become stronger, is quite simply the one that is fed.

Back to reality. Lately I've been yearning for a new bike. Primarily something with more power.

It's fun to ride a highly modified 250r race bike with every single aspect of it tuned to near-perfection. It's fun to wring the neck of the little bike and ride it to its absolute limit. Yet on the other hand -- the feeling of lack still infects me like a subtle feeling of malaise that is as undeniable as it is pervasive.

I'm making this thread in an attempt to decide if it's time for an upgrade -- or simply time to slap myself and learn to be grateful for what I have and continue using it until it can't be used any further. At 30k miles this bike is far from 'worn out' but if I sold it, I wouldn't fetch anywhere near what it's 'worth' in terms of personal enjoyment and satisfaction -- let alone the money I have poured into it in the form of suspension/engine/braking modifications.

With all that said -- how would you define the 'best' bike?

This is no different than loving a girl yet yearning for someone else. New things are fun, fresh, and exciting -- even if acquiring something "new" is taking a step in the wrong direction in many ways that aren't inherently obvious.

I don't want to trade in a hot meal every night and a loving embrace from someone familiar for a whole new slew of unforeseen and unintended consequences. I've hiked home in the cold quite a few times during the 'tuning' process of this machine before I've gotten things dialed in perfectly. I finally have the bike running exactly to my taste and I love it, but the call to greener pastures won't be silent and let me feel at peace. I still yearn for something more powerful, more nimble, and the ever illusive "upgrade" that we have been trained as consumers to seek.

How would you define the 'perfect' bike?

Post up a few things that you love about your motorcycle and a few things that you wish it would do better. I'm trying to decide if the urge to buy a new bike is an indication of lacking personal development or a healthy justification to buy a new machine and start the research/development/tuning/modification process all over again.

I'll start.

Pros
-reliable, after countless hours of jetting, carb work, and time in the lab studying theory engine theory
-familiar, because enough time in the seat has taught me exactly what this bike can and cannot do
-fast, not because it is powerful - but because I've ridden it long enough to improve riding skill and ride it to the limit

Cons
-not powerful enough, because if I don't nail the right gear at the right point in a turn, it won't tug my ass up a hill
-too familiar, because it can't surprise me anymore. Riding it has become somewhat boring unless I'm pushing limits
-age, which is no real justification to buy a newer machine. 30k miles is barely broken in and I know it will last longer but the feeling still nags at me

Thanks for reading my thread and I hope it inspires you to post up some clever wisdom.

Old January 4th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #2
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Well....it is a winter thread!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2016, 10:48 PM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
The best bike is the one that reflects its owner

In your case I do believe the best bike to continue to be the 250, I'm impressed you put 30k miles on the bike in hawaii as I don't believe maui to be that large.

It sounds largely as though your issues are stemming from familiarity with the bike, which would inevitably happen with any bike. Perhaps a change is indeed in order if it is the right time in other aspects as well. Life is constantly flowing and vehicles, as with many other things, come and go with time

While I know the option I would take only you can know which option is best for you

Personally there are a few things I wish my bike would do better, the first off would be to have larger grids at most races. I'm talking minimum 30 racer grids. In all seriousness there are three main problems that I have with my 300, two of which are track related.
1. The bike sucks for 2up riding, it'll do it but it doesn't like to and the reason isn't the power (which is noticeably decreased) it's actually an extension of the 2nd and 3rd problems. There are also a few 2up specific issues, one is with the stock exhaust where one of my passengers melted her boot on it as the heat shield did not extend far enough to protect it from the exhaust system's heat.
2. The brakes suck, even with SS brake lines and EBC HH pads the brakes kinda suck especially compared to the kind of stopping power you get from a 600cc supersport machine. This is negligible on track as you don't need them as much on most tracks but on the streets it's hugely noticeable to me that the stopping distances are far more than what I feel they should be.
3. The suspension sucks, at least it does stock. It can be reworked with decent aftermarket bits but it shouldn't be quite as soft as it is when it comes from factory. The term "pogo sticks" comes to mind when thinking of the stock forks. I get that this is a large reason why the bike is at its price point but it is frustrating, looking forward to having better suspension on it next season.

With that said it's still an ideal bike for me however due to the damage it sustained I am going to have it in track trim (still street legal) which removes the ability to have a passenger on the bike so I'll likely be getting a new street bike that's good for 2up within the not so distant future (thinking zrx1200r or an sv650)

These bikes are fantastic and I have not gotten bored of the 250/300 class yet in three years of riding them. Though I have started riding them a lot closer to their limits

Old January 5th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I've only wanted a bigger bike when riding 2up, and I don't usually do that anymore. My pregen is nice. It would be the "best" bike for me if it had EFI, turbo, upgraded suspension, scottoiler, and a new seat. I enjoy the gas mileage of my little bike, so I wouldn't really want to compromise that with more power unless I turbo'ed it; More get-up-and-go when you want it, similar gas mileage for putting around.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2016, 03:34 AM   #5
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I think maybe you should move up a step to a 650cc twin. Something like the ninja 650/fz7 would be ideal, as it would be familiar territory with their parallel twin engines and similar riding position to the 250. Both these bikes also have immense potential to do up as track/race machines and go racing too. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old January 5th, 2016, 05:48 AM   #6
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
With all that said -- how would you define the 'best' bike?

This is no different than loving a girl yet yearning for someone else. New things are fun, fresh, and exciting -- even if acquiring something "new" is taking a step in the wrong direction in many ways that aren't inherently obvious.

I don't want to trade in a hot meal every night and a loving embrace from someone familiar for a whole new slew of unforeseen and unintended consequences. .....

.....How would you define the 'perfect' bike?
Well for me,

I've been married for 27 years, have 4 kids, 1 through college, 2 in college (well only 1 this semester), one that will start college in a couple years.

using your analogies, I don't want to trade my wife of 27 years in on a new girlfriend. The cost would just be too high.

For me right now the perfect bike is the ones I have that are paid for. There is a lot to be said for keeping the bike you have that is paid off.

I too yearn for a bigger more powerful bike, but right now my old Ninja 250's do everything I need, they don't cost much to operate or repair, and until I start doing some serious cross country riding they work just fine for my commute and weekend jaunts.

So perfect bike for me should be:

1. Paid off
2. Reliable
3. Fun

That's a Ninja 250.

And just for reference, I have owned bigger bikes including a Ninja 900 and a CBR1100XX Blackbird. So I know what more power feels like.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 5th, 2016, 05:58 AM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'll chime in from the other side of the fence, having moved up.

To me, the best bike is the one that moves your soul. One with character. One you love despite its shortcomings.

I went through exactly what you are (and under similar circumstances... the 250 was my re-entry after a hiatus, though I've never crashed). After a few years and about 10,000 miles I started to look at other bikes, and the Ninja 650 was high up on the list. I rode one at a Kawi demo day, and... meh. It felt like an appliance. A sewing machine. Perfectly nice bike, a lot more power, but it lacked personality. I realized right then and there that I loved my 250 because it had character.

That same day I had my first supersport experience. And a year or two after that, I found a too-good-to-pass-up deal on a leftover supersport. My 2011 GSX-R750 is wonderful. Great bike. I really like it. But... it doesn't have the character that my 250 did. The 250 was like a punk kid who's got a lot of flaws, but is really likeable.

Compared to a lot of forum members, I haven't owned that many bikes. Five total, two of which I currently have. But of those, the only one I really miss (or would miss) is the 250.

So let me answer your question from the perspective of someone who rides a much more powerful bike on the street.

Pros/Cons of a GSX-R 750 compared to a Ninjette

Pros:
- Suspension and handling. Really wonderful. (The full Ohlins suspension on my R6 track bike is even better... just amazing.) Bike feels very planted. Would like to get back on a Ninjette now that I've experienced what really good suspension feels like, for comparison.

- Powah! Want to pass the freight train hogging the fast lane? Channel Captain Picard and say "make it so." Faster than a Ferrari...

- Brakes that can make your eyes as big as saucers if need be.

Cons (compared to the 250)
- Not as interesting to ride, because you can pretty much put it in third gear and leave it there. Yawn. I chose the 750 because it's got that magic combo of torque down low and power up high. With the 250 it was an art to get the most out of the bike. With the 750 you never get there... the bike is so powerful it takes some of the fun out of managing momentum and power. You know how, when you really master the 250, it starts to sing? The bike is happy being pushed hard. I've never gotten there on the 750 because I'm not skilled enough. On the 250 I could hit the grin zone and stay there.

- Low-speed handling. In between geometry, ergos and steering lock, the walking-pace thing is a PITA compared to the Ninjette. Sometimes I wonder if I could pull off the MSF figure-8 box on that bike.

- Aesthetic character, sound-wise. I don't like loud exhausts, but I do appreciate great sound. Like a woman with a really sexy contralto voice... really gets your heart racing even though it's quiet. With an AreaP Quiet Core, my 250 sounded wonderful. The I4 of the Suzuki, not so much. It's not the gutless Vespa-like wonder I experienced on that Ninja 650 by any means, but it doesn't really move me, either. Also, I never really get to wind the 750 up. The 250 sounds great at 10-12k. Do that on the 750 in any gear and basically, you're breaking the law.

- Cost. Five times the power brings with it seven times the insurance. Plus lower fuel mileage coupled with the need to use premium. Plus much more expensive rubber that wears out faster.

If I were to buy a bike right this minute for use on the street, and assuming I'd still have a track bike in the garage, the short list would look like this:

- Ninja 300
- Yamaha R3
- KTM RC390 (not ridden one but I bet it's got tons of that character I keep going on about)
- Yamaha FZ-07 (not that into the upright naked thing, particularly, but I liked this bike when I rode it at a demo)

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; January 5th, 2016 at 07:48 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #8
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I have ridden motorcycles for over two decades; owned over 40 bikes, ridden even more.

I believe having the right tool for the right job gets the job done proper.

Life is too short to have just one ride.

Some smoke cigarettes, some drink alcohol; I ride.

BTW, Ninja 250 is lacking on power only if you don't know how to ride it... even on a track.

Last futzed with by "A"; January 5th, 2016 at 09:26 AM.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2016, 07:18 AM   #9
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Perfect bike?.... no such thing, that's why you need more than one ... but seriously.

I get the new bike itch probably at least once every 3 weeks or so. Be it a new street bike, I want a track bike for unknown reason, or a new off road bike or 2.

at the end of the day I typically can't think of a good solid reason why I should get another bike, maybe you have some solid reasons but I don't.

Do I want a faster bike, sure, do I need one? hell no! The n250 has no problem breaking any of the speed limits in my area by significant margins, I certainly don't need to go any faster even if I would like to. That is really the only drawl back to the n250, it doesn't have that instant get up and go that I like, but other than that the bike is damn near perfect IMO

Easy to work on, great part availability, looks pretty good, super cheap to maintain, reliable, fun, easy to ride, the list goes on...

If I was to get a new bike, I think I would like to try and build a lightweight custom hybrid type sport bike. Seems like it could be fun and the end result if done correctly could be killer fun. I am already kind of doing that but not to a crazy extent, and not super modern.

And like I said before it helps to have other bikes or other outlets sometimes. Any time I feel slow and bored with the throttle response on my n250 I just hop on my dirt bike and go for a rip, that never gets old. I still do want a new to me dirt bike in the near future but that is so I can enter some vintage bike races, with out a vintage bike I can't do the races so that seems like a pretty solid reason to get a new to me bike right?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2016, 09:40 AM   #10
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

The Ninjette's strengths are that it offers adequate performance at a low price ( particularly in the used market). It is tough, reliable, and can offer very good fuel economy. I have found it to be fun and practical and after 5 years of ownership still very satisfying to ride.
I initially bought my first Ninjette to compete in fuel economy contests and it has performed extremely well for me after a lot of modifications. I found the Ninjette was fun to ride and traded my older middleweight moto for another pre-gen Ninjette that I use more for sport riding than my competition streamliner.
For me, it all comes down to the fact that we are limited by traffic laws, personal responsibility, $, and our personal safety as far as how much speed and power we can use on public roads. Very high performance motos can seduce us to cross those boundaries on a frequent basis. Ninjettes are a good match for those limitations.
Cons: the Ninjette's performance is limited by size and budget; for those needing more to ride 2-up a lot I would recommend a middleweight moto.

Old January 5th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #11
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Why limit yourself to 1 bike? That's the real question

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:39 PM   #12
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
The perfect bike for me is the one that can do a little more than everything I want to do. I can only afford one bike; between insurance, registration, consumables, and maintenance, I only want one bike. Plus I don't get the mindset of multiple bikes, when I go out for a ride I want/need to do it all - surface streets, interstates, tight curves, flat valleys, beautiful smooth tarmac, gnarly rocky desert trails. I don't want to regret a ride because I brought the street bike out and then see a sweet back country trail. I don't need a bike to excel at a task, but be a good all around Swiss army knife that can make it through intact.

The list of pros of my little Ninjette far exceeds the time I want to spend typing.

The cons are only two, and summed up by Power.
Bit more passing power to get around the semi who is accelerating to get up the mountain.
Bit more electrical power to add in more heat.

Do I keep what I have and drop in a 300 engine to upgrade the whole heart?
Do I buy the bigger stator and just continue riding as I have?
Do I start over and get a bike that is equally at home off the road as it is on?

For me, it's the third option that has me looking forward to new adventures. I've ridden all the paved roads around me so many times I know them and they no longer are interesting (still fun, but not new). Plus the morons who have no clue how to drive are making pavement more stressful and certainly less fun. Heading away from traffic leaves me out in the open desert where only one paved road goes between towns, but thousands of dirt roads crisscross the mountains, canyons, valleys, and rivers unseen by the casual tourist.

I know the bike I want next, I know what I want it to do, I know what I need on it to do the tasks I will give it. It'll have massive shoes to fill when it joins my garage, but based on the reviews of riders who I want to follow, it is more than up to the challenge.

Honda's CB500X with the Rally Raid adventure kit.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #13
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I have a couple of different best bikes.
My KLR is my dirt touring bike, I can ride (tolerate) it for many miles a day on the slab, then hit dirt and be perfectly comfortable.
My tenere is my touring bike, where I can ride it all day long on the highway and it's pretty darn good in the dirt.
I'll borrow the wife's Versys if I want to go rip up the curves for a day.
The ninja is great for around town.
And if I want to be "cool" and I'm not riding very far, the virago is where it's at.

Those are my best bikes. The right tool for the job!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2016, 04:09 PM   #14
pantera
ninjette.org member

Name: Brion

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom / 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Best bike?Paid for and fuel injected!!
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2016, 07:10 PM   #15
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
For me, for now... my bike is near perfect.
wants for the bike - steel lines, and suspension set up.
For me - more experience, training, more fun.

cons:
my hubby always leaves me for a 1/2 mile.... he has more power.

Old January 5th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #16
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
For me, for now... my bike is near perfect.
wants for the bike - steel lines, and suspension set up.
For me - more experience, training, more fun.

cons:
my hubby always leaves me for a 1/2 mile.... he has more power.
I put a steel line in the front and it is just unghhhh. Best modification you can make to your bike, hands down.

Old January 6th, 2016, 10:03 AM   #17
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Why limit yourself to 1 bike? That's the real question
bingo, and to use the GF analogy. When one girl in your harem is not on her game, ride the one that is.

Old January 6th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #18
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
bingo, and to use the GF analogy. When one girl in your harem is not on her game, ride the one that is.

but.... Polygamy

Old January 6th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #19
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
I honestly didn't read most of the thread, so apologies for that. To the question:
The perfect bike is any one I'm currently riding.

I could elaborate, but I'd venture most people on a motorcycle forum understand already.

Old January 6th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #20
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Go with a Huffy, cheap and extremely reliable.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post

I dig the Smokin' Joe. Is that a factory version or did you get aftermarket replica fairings to look like the factory Smokin' Joe model?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #22
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Factory original. 1 of 609 I think.

It has the M Duhamel sig sticker on the tank.

I'm trying to keep it OEM, but I am putting shorty levers on this spring.

the TLR will turn heads with the sound, but the Smok'n Joe is chick friendly colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I dig the Smokin' Joe. Is that a factory version or did you get aftermarket replica fairings to look like the factory Smokin' Joe model?

Old January 6th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #23
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I was actually looking for a 250 when I found the deal on my 500. I haven't actually ridden an EX250, but the EX500 seems to be very similar, just with more power. It's a little heavier, but it's still a relatively small and agile bike. The pros and cons are pretty similar to the Ninjette, but with power being less of an issue.

It has a lower redline and more torque, so it's decent cruising around town (though it's not a "put it in third gear and leave it there" bike like the GSXR750), and I can break any speed limit in the state in third gear. However, it maxes out around 120mph and won't wheelie unless you're trying (which may be good things, depending on the rider).

The riding position is very similar to the 250. It's more of a sporty touring bike than a "real sportbike". This should help for commuting and other less-intense riding.

The suspension is also very similar, but with even worse spring rates. It's the first thing I suggest anyone upgrade on the 500. Just getting appropriate spring rates will make a huge difference (fork spring swap is the same as the 250; either the PreGen spring or NewGen shock can be a good donor, depending on your weight). The brakes seem to do ok, especially with an EBC rotor and pads - I'm not sure why the 250 seems to have so many more issues with the brakes when they're pretty similar setups.

There's a little room for improvement, but the 500 is tuned pretty well from the factory. There isn't much in the way of drop-in upgrades because it works quite well stock, which is nice for people who want things to just work, but can be maddening for people who like to tinker and tweak.

There's not a whole lot of aftermarket parts for the 500. There are only a few exhaust choices (which in turn helps reduce the amount of carb tweaking needed), and the parallel twin sounds kinda lawnmower-ish anyway. It does share a lot of same/similar parts with the 250, so a number of non-500 parts will work with no or little work to make them fit though. They also haven't been made since 2009, so that cuts into parts availability and pretty much guarantees that you can only buy a used bike.

The Gen1 looks a lot like the PreGen, and has similar 36mm forks and 16" wheels. The Gen2 has 37mm forks and 17" wheels like the NewGen, but with more '90s styling. The split fairing is something a lot of people don't like. Looks are always subjective, but a lot of people don't like the 500 for one or more reasons.

The main reason I got the 500 though was cost. It was cheaper than any decent 250 around here. Insurance is still quite cheap. I ride it mostly for pleasure (as opposed to saving gas or just commuting in general) and still average 50mpg overall on regular 87.

The 500 doesn't seem to get much love, though I think it really fits into its little niche. Everyone seems to want a 600+ "real bike" or plays it safe and starts off on a 250 (then jumps over the 500 to a bigger bike). But from my limited experience, it seems to have a lot of what people here like about the Ninjette, just with almost twice the power.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #24
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
My modified 300 topped out at 110 mph and my 500 topped out at 114 for 1/5 the price. I am happy I sold the 500 for the 300.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
TC, get a dirt bike a 125 or something along those lines (entry level, but more than enough power to scare ya). Balance is what you seek.

Save the aggressive riding for non-public roads. Since there is only one small paved track option for you on the island, then the dirt is where you can scratch the itch you will never legally get on the surface streets.

There is no perfect bike for me, just the one that enables the type of riding I want to do that day.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #26
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Quote:

The grass truly is always greener...
Apply this to your bike...

You will always think there's a better bike out there, somewhere...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2016, 08:06 PM   #27
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken neck View Post
Apply this to your bike...

You will always think there's a better bike out there, somewhere...
Actually no, after I go through every bearing, ever seal, check every thing, torque every bolt, freshen the rings, change oil every 3000, etc I think my bike is better. (Compared to other used bikes.)

Old January 8th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #28
corksil

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. I have gained a lot of insight.

Logic dictates that I should ride this bike until it won't go anymore. That's the only way to reap the benefit from all the time and parts and tuning that I've put into it. Rather boring because it means I don't get to buy something bigger, but as many have said -- the 250 is plenty fast enough for breaking any speed limits around where I live, and riding it properly (high revs, in the powerband) certainly is fun.

Slightly strange because the happiest moments of my life have occurred while travelling at an extremely high rate of speed, but without a track -- it's not self sustaining behavior on public roads. Doesn't make sense to move for the sole purpose of relocating to a place with a track, but I still consider it from time to time. Reality is, I couldn't afford it.

Easier to live within one's means than it is to try and stretch too few resources too far and end up living in a tent.

Really resonates with me...

Quote:
..the best bike is the one I'm currently riding.
On the flip side, the sooner I get to 100k miles, the sooner I can justify something more beastly.

Old January 9th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #29
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I'd love to see what your bike looks like, as well as a full list of modifications done to it. Do you have a thread somewhere?

Old January 10th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #30
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I'd love to see what your bike looks like, as well as a full list of modifications done to it. Do you have a thread somewhere?
Would you also like an explanation of my sleeping patterns describing when I am most deeply asleep? Keys to the gate? The places I frequently park the bike during the day?

Some things are better left unsaid.

Old January 11th, 2016, 06:45 AM   #31
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Would you also like an explanation of my sleeping patterns describing when I am most deeply asleep? Keys to the gate? The places I frequently park the bike during the day?

Some things are better left unsaid.
But there may be other of us that could benefit from your improvements.

You don't have to give away the keys to the gate to help fellow forum members out.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #32
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I think that anyone who is a motorcycle enthusiast would want to see what else is out there.

It sounds like you have "completed" the project if you will. I get that too. When everything is set the way you want...then it's back to what is my next project?

Two wheels are two wheels. It doesn't matter if it's a bicycle, a dirt bike, or a race ready 600. The body positions are different but the concepts and techniques are all the same.

That's important because you'd be surprised to know that you can ride most anything without issue.

And you would learn a lot. Not just about riding technique. You'll have an appreciation for what higher performing bikes bring to the table.

At a minimum it would open your eyes to a lot more. After riding and owning other stuff, I "get" the appeal of the little 300s. I personally think they make horrible only bikes. Too limiting.

As for making a perfect bike? Only the individual can answer that. Motorcycles are toys and for escapism for me. I like to think of them as tools. Some tools work way better for a certain job. And motorcycles should be an expression of yourself.

My street bike is a Ducati hypermotard 796. It doesn't have the big ass 1100cc motor. I have to wring it's neck to have fun with it. I like winding motors out. It's super upright and comfortable for those long all day twisty rides. It's also got a really balanced chassis. It's really easy to pop it up into a wheelie and use the throttle to sit around the balance point. It has 6 inches of travel and soaks up big hits decently. It's got a longish wheelbase so it backs in at nice rate. Not too fast and it won't snap too hard when getting the rear to hook up at the apex.

It's a hooligan machine with some manners. I can ride on the freeway and it isn't screaming it's head off at 90mph. And it gets about 120 miles per tank which is cutting it close but workable.

There is a laundry list of stuff I hate about the bike. It needed work from the factory right away or I would've sold it right then.

When I ride in the street I want to have fun and look cool. There are no trophies and why pay all the money for insurance and registration if you can't ride around thinking this is the coolest thing ever?

Get something you think is cool, that you'll be confident on, and not a supersport because they suck as a street bike.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #33
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Sorry I asked.

Old January 11th, 2016, 08:00 PM   #34
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
When I ride in the street I want to have fun and look cool. There are no trophies and why pay all the money for insurance and registration if you can't ride around thinking this is the coolest thing ever?.
That's the feeling I had when I rented an MV Agusta 800 Stradale last summer...

I was the King for just one day... But what a day...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2016, 09:23 AM   #35
mikromo
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1999 Honda VFR800, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, 2010 Kawasaki ninja 250 (sold)

I've owned and ridden a ton of bikes over the years, and a few years ago bought a bike I always wanted, at a price I couldn't pass up. Search out a '98 - 01 Honda VFR800 Interceptor. My current stable numbers 3, a 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambo 750, ideal when I want a bike to return me to my long lost youth (I was 19 in 1970). A 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, owned since 2003, and carefully tuned over the years to just shy of 140HP and 90 ftlbs torque, I ride it when I want to "stretch" my arms, or go nuts in the twisty's (nothing quite like exiting a turn while rolling it on in 3rd and touching 90mph by the time you have it upright). And, my normal bike of choice....1999 VFR800, which is to me the perfect bike. When I ride it in a casual fashion, and short shift it, the sound reminds me of my old 1970 Triumph Bonnie, albeit with 2 more gears. It has gear driven cams, and admits the best gear whine on the planet, combined with the Acropovic can.....and a 12,000 rpm redline, sweet music indeed. Ridden at 8/10's it handles like a dream, rock stable and responsive. I'm obviously biased, but it looks really nice too (mine's Italian red), and doesn't force you into the repliracer crouch (good for we 64 year olds), but the seat, peg, bar setup is perfect for high speed sport touring. Best part??? They are super inexpensive (bought mine for $1500.00), and truly a great bike. If you can beg, borrow, or steal a ride on one, give it a try, pretty sure you'll be impressed. BTW, on a twisty stretch my VFR stays right with my ZRX (my 27 year old son and I ride together often, so direct comparisons are pretty easy), I've been riding 51 years, he's been riding for 21 years (started him at 6).
mikromo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #36
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

Quote:
It has 6 inches of travel and soaks up big hits decently.
Really? My bicycle has 6.7 and 6.3 F-R

In all seriousness, OP, I'm where you are at. I have a N300 and I love it, I really do, but the itch for more gets stronger and stronger as time goes by. My only complaints with the 300 are the power, and the chassis/suspension.

I only wish for more power on commutes, long trips, or when I need to pass someone. As soon as Im on a twisty bit of pavement, that need goes out the window.

At the same time, when I get to the twisties, I find that to me, the bike just dosent feel stable. Yes it turns in well, and Im constantly getting more smooth all the time and the instability I feel is driving that need to get smoother faster than if I were on a more stable bike, so in a way its a good thing. Its also bone stock, the only change being going from position 2 to position 3 on the rear spring collar, and a new, budget, back tire.

If I had the money in my pocket for a new bike I would be looking at a 600 super sport, something that emphasized handling over power, or some sort of true adventure bike. Good (maybe not great, but good enough) on and off road, good on fuel, comfortable for long trips, and enough electrical output for extra lights, heated gear, and a GPS.

Old January 12th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #37
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

I think the main difference here is OP is basically secluded to his 1 island in Hawaii. In reality a dirt bike or some type of dual sport makes the most sence. Hes not going for long rides unless he decides to loop the island 4 times, I doubt theres massively long straights or miles of twisty roads for an SS to truly stretch its legs, and like csmith said no serious track type atmosphere.

I think in his shoes the modded 250 is a great bike for his situation, with an addition of a dual sport.

Although I did find it funny you say you couldn't afford relocating. The only justification for that would be because you own a business right? Hawaii has the highest cost of living out of the US, so I think if you can afford to live there, you could afford living in the great48. But moving just to be around some nice tracks might not be the best reason either.

Old January 13th, 2016, 01:54 AM   #38
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEmike View Post
Really? My bicycle has 6.7 and 6.3 F-R
The average street bike has 4.8. If you ride mountain bikes you know how much of a difference a couple inches makes.

The ninjette is the worst of both worlds offering a wallowing ride while being harsh over the bumps.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2016, 10:16 AM   #39
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

Quote:
The average street bike has 4.8. If you ride mountain bikes you know how much of a difference a couple inches makes.

The ninjette is the worst of both worlds offering a wallowing ride while being harsh over the bumps.
Yeah, Im aware, its still just odd to think about. I basically have a dirt bike with pedals.

And thats a pretty good quote about the suspension of the ninjette. The major reason Im thinking about a 600SS isint a lack of power, its how unstable I feel in the corners. I know there are fixes, but I dont have $2500 to drop on front and rear suspension.