ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 21st, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1
forevertwowheels
ninjette.org member

Name: TKO

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2011 Honda CBR600RR

Strange Noise at ~6000 RPM

When i decelerate, with the throttle fully closed, the bike makes a weird sound at 6500 till 6000 rpms. I've tried it in different gears and it still happends everytime i pass through 6500. I get below it and then blip the throttle above it and it will still do it on the way past. i never noticed this before, only since installing K&N R-0990 and dynojet kit. it only happens for that slit second and it sorta sounds like metal grinding but its hard to tell its so short. anyone else have this or know what its from?
thanks

Old June 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

When you removed the airbox, added the pods, the extra fuel and air, you changed the way the engine resonates. The air that is now going in to the intake is turbulent air and turbulent air makes noise. That split second of change in sound is the engine having fuel shut off from cutting the throttle.

Did you remove the kleen air system or change exhaust?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 05:17 PM   #3
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Check your fairings/windscreen or your instrument cluster for vibrations. I had this issue (stock bike, though) as well. For me, it was the tips of the windscreen vibrating against the tips of the fairing that run over it. A little bit of foam-tape (left one side covered with paper) along the edge solved the problem for me.. Though now that I recently disassembled the fairings and reassembled, I seem to have developed another one elsewhere. Also check for loose screws!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 06:18 PM   #4
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevertwowheels View Post
When i decelerate, with the throttle fully closed, the bike makes a weird sound at 6500 till 6000 rpms. I've tried it in different gears and it still happends everytime i pass through 6500. I get below it and then blip the throttle above it and it will still do it on the way past. i never noticed this before, only since installing K&N R-0990 and dynojet kit. it only happens for that slit second and it sorta sounds like metal grinding but its hard to tell its so short. anyone else have this or know what its from?
thanks
does it do it when the bike is in neutral?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM   #5
forevertwowheels
ninjette.org member

Quote:
does it do it when the bike is in neutral?
yes it still does. i just tested it sitting in the garage. while i was sitting on it i brought it over 8000 and let it drop, aside from the regular vibrations the bike makes when its running, when it passes over 6500-6000 rpms i can feel a different viberation in the seat.

Quote:
When you removed the airbox, added the pods, the extra fuel and air, you changed the way the engine resonates. The air that is now going in to the intake is turbulent air and turbulent air makes noise. That split second of change in sound is the engine having fuel shut off from cutting the throttle.

Did you remove the kleen air system or change exhaust?
i dont think it would be that becuase i was closing the throttle up at 12000 and it only happens at 6500-6000.
yes i removed the kleen air system and changed to a Area P 18" CF Race System.

Quote:
sounds like chain noise.
don't think its the chain, does it while not moving.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM   #6
kkim

make sure it's not your clutch lever making noise/vibrating. hold onto it while the bike revs back down and see if that stops the metal grinding noise.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #7
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

What about engine mounting bolts? If it's loose, it might chatter when the engine vibrates. Mine's tight but the vibrations occur at 8k rpms. If it is loose, i'd imagine the vibrations would be felt at lower rpms and could, for lack of a better word, bounce around. With that same thought, i'd check the other bolts as well just in case.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #8
forevertwowheels
ninjette.org member

i checked the clutch lever yesterday and it was still making that noise. i checked again today without holding the clutch lever still and the noise was gone. i thought i was going crazy untill i was taking the fairings off and i noticed this... i wonder if this was the cause of the noise. its interesting that i only heard/felt it at ~6000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg missingbolt.jpg (69.2 KB, 40 views)

Old June 24th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #9
kkim

the engine has a natural harmonic at about 6K. anything loose that can/will rattle will be most noticeable at that RPM.

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #10
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
i checked the clutch lever yesterday and it was still making that noise. i checked again today without holding the clutch lever still and the noise was gone. i thought i was going crazy untill i was taking the fairings off and i noticed this... i wonder if this was the cause of the noise. its interesting that i only heard/felt it at ~6000.
Was there no bolt there? Also kinda looks like the top half of the plastic was cut off. I'm assuming since you didnt point it out that you removed the plastic tabs before taking the picture because there should be something in that hole on the right of the bolt you circled. Like kkim says... there's a resonance at 6kish... mine tends to happen at 8k but in anycase, loose things are baddddd.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #11
nah.uhh
ninjette.org member

Name: nah

Motorcycle(s): n/a

Quote:
I posted this in a couple other threads, I had the same problem aswell..
Yes there should be a bolt there and yes the sound your hearing if from the rad vibrating. Ofcourse you could also have more things loose than that and have more vibrations, so check all the bolts, your toolkit shoild be enough.. And yes you should periodically check to make sure screws and bolts are tight especially when you start hearing vibrations/buzzing.. They (random bolts, certain ones are a lot more common) will vibrate loose at some point
nah.uhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:25 PM   #12
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Thank goodness I found this thread.

I was cruising at around 70-75mph @ ~7-8k rpm and I noticed a metallic vibrating sound. First thought: Bike is falling apart, Holy Sheet....lol
The fact that I could hear the metallic vibration clatter in my obnoxiously loud helmet was nerve wracking.

I will check all the suggestions mentioned in this thread and hopefully nail the noise culprit.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
wear some ear plugs

Old July 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM   #14
scottg
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
Thank goodness I found this thread.

I was cruising at around 70-75mph @ ~7-8k rpm and I noticed a metallic vibrating sound. First thought: Bike is falling apart, Holy Sheet....lol
The fact that I could hear the metallic vibration clatter in my obnoxiously loud helmet was nerve wracking.

I will check all the suggestions mentioned in this thread and hopefully nail the noise culprit.

So I'm kinda nearing the break in period on my bike (+/- 600 mi) now and brought it up to about 9k for the 1st time today and heard the same metallic sound right around 9k. Does anyone know if this is normal?
scottg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:51 AM   #15
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Are your keys buzzing on the triple? That always makes a vibrating noise for me when I'm up in the rpm's
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM   #16
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Are your keys buzzing on the triple? That always makes a vibrating noise for me when I'm up in the rpm's
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmm…I should watch out for that...
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:20 PM   #17
scottg
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Good thought, I'm gonna check that out
scottg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2012

Red face

I'm having this exact problem. I posted about it in another thread. No answers yet but I am starting to believe its a resonance thing. My bike is all stock. I have the added variable that it's been happening on the morning commute when its cold (65 degrees) and not on the return when its hot (90 degrees). Could expansion / contraction play a big enough roll to cause a noise at certain temps and not at others? Thanks
Darkspy72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

+1 on resonance. My bike has a 'buzz' at 6000 RPM which is definitely a resonance thing. Back when I first got the bike and took it to the dealer for the 600 service, I mentioned the issue and they said also that that is just the way it is. Kind of annoying because I go through 6000 RPM often in city driving and it is noticeable.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
word!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #21
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2012

Agreed. Mine turned out to be resonance as well. Once I took my helmet off and got my head down beside the bike instead of overtop the sound completely changed and it became obvious what it was. Not sure exactly where it's coming from, I'm just glad it's nothing serious. It can be annoying with all my city driving though.
Darkspy72 is offline   Reply With Quote