ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:30 AM   #1
ROSS11988
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Looking to buy my first Ninja

Hey all. I am looking to buy my first Ninja. I am 25 years old 5' 11" and 200lbs (I know Im fluffy, Im looking to get back to 185lbs). I am planning on getting my PA Class M permit this week. I have been looking at bikes and I really have my heart set on a Ninja 250. You may ask me why a 250 and not a 500. Well I haven't seen alot of 500's in my area. Also you might try to tell me that I will grow out of the 250 by the end of summer. My occupation has me travel 90% of the time. I am only home on the weekend and in the future more likely I will be home every few weeks. So I doubt I will grow out of something I don't get to use everyday. Also they 250's seem to keep their value so in the chance I do want something better it shouldn't be a problem trading it in.

I have found a couple of deals and I want to know which ones I should consider.

The dealership up the road from me is selling http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars...50_197489949_4

A dealership 20 min away in New Jersey is selling the same bike with only 4,000 miles for the same price ( if I buy out of state do I pay taxes in both states or just the state I get it registered?

The same dealership is selling this one http://www.thecycleexchange.com/new_...96&pov=3509685

Then this morning I found this on craigslist http://scranton.craigslist.org/mcy/4265210662.html Looks like a great price for salvage, would probably cost $700 for plastics and other stuff? Plus I have time to work on it since spring isn't coming anytime soon. I'm only concerned that there could be more problematic with besides the fairings.

I appreciate any input and look forward to hopefully joining people on here for rides.
ROSS11988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

The $3799 one is way over priced. The $2499 is about right..stay away from that salvaged one too much to replace and no gaurantees nothing mechanical is fubar.. If you buy out of state you only pay sales tax when you register it in PA

I would sell you mine for $3100 but I am way on the other side of PA from you.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:02 AM   #3
ROSS11988
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
The $3799 one is way over priced. The $2499 is about right..stay away from that salvaged one too much to replace and no gaurantees nothing mechanical is fubar.. If you buy out of state you only pay sales tax when you register it in PA

I would sell you mine for $3100 but I am way on the other side of PA from you.
Thanks for the reply. the $3799 is really $3,000 don't know why the price isn't updated, but the same one is in jersey for $3000, with 8,000 less miles. Should I use that as a bargaining chip and try to get him down to ~$2,500? Id rather buy from the guy next to me so I don't have to get it delivered since I will only have my permit. Or is 11,000 miles on a 2009 still to many miles?

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:46 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Matt!

You can save a ton of money if you go with the Salvage bike. Sorry, I just hate dealers and don't mind a salvage title. If your a smart shopper, you can talk the seller down a lil from 7 bills, buy the stuff to make it all pretty, get gear and still have paper left over vs. spending 4k buying from a dealer. Going through the salvage to rebuild process is not hard but not fun either. The main thing is an accurate and verifiable odometer reading and engine/frame numbers and all the other paperwork they required.

Also, if you buy the salvage title bike, maker sure you get a bill of sale or something else that states the selling price and you will only have to pay taxes (in the state you live in) on the SALE prices vs. the NDA value. Although that one you linked is VERY questionable. And.... since you will only have the weekends to work on it, I know it's winter and all but I would rather be riding instead of wrenching.

Alternatively, you can wait a bit longer for a non-salvaged titled bike deal for around the $2500 (or cheaper) price range. I would go this route and hope you find something soon. Spring is the sellers market ya know.

Good luck!

Last futzed with by csmith12; January 23rd, 2014 at 12:03 PM.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:18 AM   #5
PartsNinja
Ninja Parts Master

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ducati Streetfighter 1098, 2014 Honda CB1100 Cafe, 2007 SV1000S, Quite a few 2008-2012 Ninja 250s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS11988 View Post

Then this morning I found this on craigslist http://scranton.craigslist.org/mcy/4265210662.html Looks like a great price for salvage, would probably cost $700 for plastics and other stuff? Plus I have time to work on it since spring isn't coming anytime soon. I'm only concerned that there could be more problematic with besides the fairings.
This is the route I personally would go, ESPECIALLY for a first bike. This will be a lot more hassle than just spending the money for a $2500-3000 bike, but it will certainly be more rewarding in the long run. Take it to a bike shop to see if they think the frame is tweaked (if you dont feel comfortable making that assessment). Chinese fairing sets run $400-$600 on ebay, read the reviews first and buy from a reputable dealer. Our website is a good source for parts as well www.OEMninjaparts.com , make sure to familliarize yourself with what actions are need to change your "SALVAGE" title to a "REBUILT" title. In many states you will not be able to register a salvage title bike on the road (there are several fairly easy steps to take in order to be able to get the bike titled as a Rebuilt title). Just do your research and offer the guy $1000 (in person just shove a big pile of $20s in his pocket and take the bike, he wont say no).

Good luck and welcome!

Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Don't spend all your efforts negotiating on list price.. instead haggle over OTD price. Negotiate on the $3,000 a little to see how much he will get it down, ask them to show the OTD price, haggle on that even more then bring up the other bike as a bargaining chip to see how much you can lower the OTD price. Question any suspicious and over inflated fees.

It's not impossible to grab a good deal used from a dealer but many can talk a smooth game so be on your toes. I would look for dealer reviews as well. A local riding forum is a good place to start. Sometimes you spot ones that should be avoided at all costs. Others, you may spot generally favourable experiences from the majority.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 03:58 PM   #7
ROSS11988
ninjette.org member

My plan is to go the dealership in NJ and offer $2500 cash delivered to my house in Pennsylvania for the 2009 250r or $2000 for thishttp://www.thecycleexchange.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=3509685

If they say no I'll pick up the salvage.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I'm also for the salvage bike, you have time and there doesn't appear to be anything horribly wrong with it. You can also skip a lot of the plastics and just build a streetfighter to save money (it'll also look more original) If you go with the dealership route just remember that the OTD price is the only important one. Also, I'd recommend finding someone who rides (ideally a mechanic) to go with you to look for frame damage and anything like that. Salvage bikes are a great way to save money and start riding so long as you aren't afraid of a little elbow grease, heck that's how I intend to get a dedicated track bike down the line.

You also run the advantage of potentially making money off the bike when it comes time to sell it (even if it's not much)
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #9
ROSS11988
ninjette.org member

Well I ran a carfax and I wasn't happy with what I saw.

Old January 24th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Bummer, there are alot of fish in the sea. lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #11
PartsNinja
Ninja Parts Master

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ducati Streetfighter 1098, 2014 Honda CB1100 Cafe, 2007 SV1000S, Quite a few 2008-2012 Ninja 250s

Call that number and see if the bike is still reported as stolen, if it is let the cops know. That report isn't terribly clear as to the bikes current status.

Old January 24th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #12
ROSS11988
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsNinja View Post
Call that number and see if the bike is still reported as stolen, if it is let the cops know. That report isn't terribly clear as to the bikes current status.
I called, they said it was OK and will submit a request to have the information removed. The thing that worries me now is the front end damage? How do I know the forks and shocks are ok?

Old January 24th, 2014, 12:00 PM   #13
ROSS11988
ninjette.org member

I also went to the dealer that had a 2009 Ninja 250r with 11,000 miles for $3,000 I asked if he would take $2500 cash since Cycle Exchange in Jersey had the same bike for $3,000 with only 4,000 miles, but said no.

Old January 24th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #14
PartsNinja
Ninja Parts Master

Quote:
I called, they said it was OK and will submit a request to have the information removed. The thing that worries me now is the front end damage? How do I know the forks and shocks are ok?
I deal with bikes like this daily. My best educated guess is that the forks are fine. The "front end damage" that the carfax reports probably relates to the headlight, front fairing and front fairing stay being destroyed. When you go to inspect the bike, point the front wheel straight ahead and make sure the center of the top triple tree (the piece of metal that the ignition is bolted to) is inline with the center of the tire (there is a nice line running down the center of the stock tire).

If the forks are bent (usually one is worse than the other), this will not line up. It is also possible that the forks are not bent they are just twisted in the upper and lower triple trees. This is simple to fix and will take about 20 minutes if you have a front bike stand that lifts the bike up from the frame and not the forks. (or you can use rafters in your garage and tie down straps to lift your bike up by the frame)

If the forks ARE bent, our site sells them for around $140 each. They are easy to replace, I can do a youtube tutorial on how to do this.

Another thing to check on the forks is that the seals are not leaking. Get on the bike and put all of your weight on the handlebars and push the front end down 10-20 times as hard as you can. If the seals are leaking, there will be fork oil on the inner chrome fork tubes just about the lower tubes (near the dust covers).

Old January 24th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #15
PartsNinja
Ninja Parts Master

Another thing to look for on the frame (around the neck and on the two frame members that run front to back underneath the gas tank) is rust and peeling paint, especially near welds and seams. If the metal has changed shapes recently, i.e. was bent in the crash, paint will flake off of the metal due to the surface is was previously adhered to having changed shapes. Rust usually forms pretty quickly on the bare frame metal and is a telltale sign that the frame is twisted. STAY AWAY from the bike if you see a lot of this. Forks are cake, frames are a pain in the butt. (although, we do also sell salvage title frames if you feel brave)

Old January 24th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #16
PartsNinja
Ninja Parts Master

Old January 25th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #17
ROSS11988
ninjette.org member

Looks like I found a good ninja at a good price. Hopefully picking up Friday once the roads clear.
http://poconos.craigslist.org/mcy/4239803943.html

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #18
ROSS11988
ninjette.org member

Just wanted to give everyone the heads up that I picked up a 2009 Ninja 250r Black with 2,800 miles with a fender eliminator for $2500. Bike is pristine, one minor scratch in the front. Carburetor's will need to be cleaned. Im in Puerto Rico for a couple of weeks, hopefully the weather will be better by the time I come back. Got to ride it for an hour when I first bought it. Im hooked. Very smooth bike with plenty of potential. Also picked up there helmets. Both for $150.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4309011859.html

Any suggestions on gloves pants or jacket?

Old February 7th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #19
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
^ sounds like a nice bike, how about some PICS!!?

Look close at the helmets for expiration date ect... Did they say when they bought them? (not that what they say is worth much)
Most importantly does the helmet fit you if you plan on using it/them?

I bought the helmet I have not because it was the coolest/best one in the store, or it was the one I liked the most, I bought it because it was the one that fit me best and also had DOT and Snell cert.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #20
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Congratulations on the bike! Are you planning to do the MSF course?

Quote:
Browse the threads in the motorcycle gear section and/or post a thread over there. The forum is full of helpful people so I'm sure you'll get more responses in the right section.

Old February 7th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #21
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
First off, PICS!
Secondly, I personally like to wear scorpion gear. I find that it is a great cross between value looks and protection. You already have a helmet so I'll leave that out.
With gloves there are a few ways to go. You can go short cuff or gauntlet style gloves. Personally I find short cuff more comfortable and easier to live with on a day to day basis so I tend to wear my short cuff scorpion klaw II gloves while commuting. The advantage of gauntlet gloves are wrist protection as well as the fact that they are just overall better in terms of protection. If you're on a budget gloves of each type can be found relatively cheap but short cuff will be the cheaper kind on average. Ideally you would get one of each or stick to gauntlet if you feel the need for the extra protection in exchange for comfort and convenience all the time.

As for a Jacket, there are tons of good options. Leather will be the priciest option by far and won't be as good for daily commuting due to rain. I would recommend a solid waterproof textile jacket but that's just me. When it comes to jackets I find revzilla.com to be an informative and easy to use site to find which one is best for you.

Pants are another issue altogether, Textile/leather overpants which zip into your jacket tend to be the ideal but I wear jeans and knee/shin guards due to cost concerns. Another solid option is reinforced jeans with knee/hip protection.

Just to make sure, don't skimp on foot protection either. Ankle, like knee, injuries have a tendency to follow you for life. Consider how often you walk and from that consider walking those distances with crutches or a cane.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #22
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

Quote:
btw for future reference, because the information on carfax was not complete or outdated, you can get your money back on the report. they're actually very easy to work with and had no problems getting a refund.

I got my money back on the report i ran on my TL (before i bought it) that said it had a lein on it.
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #23
ROSS11988
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
btw for future reference, because the information on carfax was not complete or outdated, you can get your money back on the report. they're actually very easy to work with and had no problems getting a refund.

I got my money back on the report i ran on my TL (before i bought it) that said it had a lein on it.
Hmm I might have to try and do that. Also here's the only picture I have. The next day I left for puerto rico for 20 days.

Old February 7th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #24
ROSS11988
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Congratulations on the bike! Are you planning to do the MSF course?

Browse the threads in the motorcycle gear section and/or post a thread over there. The forum is full of helpful people so I'm sure you'll get more responses in the right section.
Yes I plan on taking the course. The class dates were just posted today. Registration begins late March and the First class is the middle of April.

Old February 8th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #25
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

I searched for months before I found mine. Finally found one on craigslist 08 red ninja 250 2,800 miles on it for $1,800 and a nice helmet. Low miles were due to it sitting for a while but right before selling he had paperwork of a full tuneup being done to it. Catch was it was dropped and had a broken mirror, turning signal, footrest holding bracket and some fairing damage. But being a brand new rider I knew I was going to drop it, so might as well save some money and buy one already damaged. I got all the parts on ebay and craigslist for $40. Fixed everything except for the fairing. I still check craigslist almost daily always see some awesome deals on there. Right now there's a 2012 ninja 650 for 4k with super low miles.
jefe305 is offline   Reply With Quote