ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old December 21st, 2015, 08:34 PM   #1
RadenRider26
Raden Rider

Name: Rhys

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250R 2010

Gears & RPM range (not really a question, bit long sorry)

hi i know this is a topic that is highly discussed, but want to find out if other riders change gears in the same RPM range as me, if not what range do change gears in and why?
also would like to find out is other agree with me, if not why??

i know we are all different on where we change gears, keeping in mind road condition & traffic condition. I'll tell you the range i change gears at on my 250R ninja (2011) and i live in bali a small island with a fair a mount of traffic and anything over a 250 cc is useless because there only 1 or 2 road to open up on, i only be in 6th gear a few time maybe 5 time in the past 2 years i been driving the bike, and a few time (now i know from seat time) i have been in 6th to early.

so here my gear change with rpm range and the sped i'm normally in (not that i think it mater about the speed, but let me know if the speed dose matter?)
1st - 2nd change at 6-7 rmps (just over 20km/h)
2nd- 3dr 7-8 rpms ( between 40-50km/h)
3rd-4th 9-10 rpms (80-90 km/h)
4th -5th 10-11 rpms (100-110km/h)
5th-6th 10-11rpms (120-130km/h)

The fastest i been on the ninja is 150km/h and that was at 3 am on a highway super quite and no one around the only time i have the guts to go fast on the island.( not we dont have speed limits in bali)

For me this is what i find i get the best out of my ninja for area i driving in,(check out sj bali on youtube, to get an idea of the area im driving in).
this is a range so if i want to drive faster i change in the top parts of this range
if im not into much of a rush but still dont ant to cruz i change some where at mid-high range.
if im just chill ill change around mid, mid low in this range
if im in traffics i change low - mid low range.

so can the other rider on here after reading this answer my question at the start of this post just would like to find out. thanks guys

Last futzed with by RadenRider26; December 21st, 2015 at 08:44 PM. Reason: re-wording
RadenRider26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2015, 09:52 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadenRider26 View Post
.......... so can the other rider on here after reading this answer my question at the start of this post just would like to find out. thanks guys
Any gear that keeps the engine between 6K and 8K is OK for moderate street riding.

If you want good acceleration for some reason, consider that the engine produces maximum torque around 9K.

Especially at night, don't go faster than your eyes can see; it could become very dangerous very soon.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2015, 09:57 PM   #3
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
It sounds like you have everything under control already.

Ride safe!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2015, 10:00 PM   #4
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
There's only one time when the is a single correct rpms range to be in and that only applies to racing which your not doing so the correct answer to your question is it really doesn't matter as long as it feel comfortable to you.

I only note when I shift into 6th gear while commuting and such but while riding for fun I just keep it around 9000 rpms because it sounds like a sweet spot to my ears. When racing your always above 11,000rpms so it's a bit of a mute point.

Chill street riding I shift between about 5000 because I shift into 6th gear around 50 mph. If I want to jump off the line quickly and distance myself from the cars around me then I shift around 7-8000ish. I'll add that I never look at my RPMs to judge when to shift. I only know these numbers because people ask the question you just asked so it handy to have an answer. So basically as soon as I'm above 45mph I'm in 6th gear until I need a sudden bust of acceleration(rare) or traffic is slowly to less then 45mph.

Smooth precise shifting and well as a predictive view of the traffic around you while make you twice as fast and maneuverable and using all the available power your bike has.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 21st, 2015, 10:04 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I just shift when the RRRRRRRRR! being made by the bike feels right...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2015, 10:05 PM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I don't know about the island but where I call home animals come out at 3am so I have to be extra aware of the roads edges so I don't get surprised by something running across the road. The most dangerous obstacle you'll come across on the road is the one you are not expecting. So learn to respect all the variables and keep them all in the back of your mind.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2015, 10:27 PM   #7
RadenRider26
Raden Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I don't know about the island but where I call home animals come out at 3am so I have to be extra aware of the roads edges so I don't get surprised by something running across the road. The most dangerous obstacle you'll come across on the road is the one you are not expecting. So learn to respect all the variables and keep them all in the back of your mind.
when driving in bali road bike,car or what ever your driving. The number one the is to expect the unexpected, one one use turn signals and if they do its wrong, on one check there mirrors or look. driving here you have to expect having a accident when you drive. that why you drive fast early morning its the safest time ( still not safe)

Last futzed with by RadenRider26; December 22nd, 2015 at 01:02 AM.
RadenRider26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2015, 01:03 AM   #8
RadenRider26
Raden Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Any gear that keeps the engine between 6K and 8K is OK for moderate street riding.

If you want good acceleration for some reason, consider that the engine produces maximum torque around 9K.

Especially at night, don't go faster than your eyes can see; it could become very dangerous very soon.
thanks this is good to know as i some time need to get out sticky situation.
btw i been practicing bliping with two finger and my down shift are smoother thanks for that advice as well

Old December 22nd, 2015, 01:07 AM   #9
RadenRider26
Raden Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I'll add that I never look at my RPMs to judge when to shift. I only know these numbers because people ask the question you just asked so it handy to have an answer.
netier do i but i when i saw on the post and question about when to change gear and what rpms it made me wonder so i looked every time i changed gears for a few day. so just like you i had these number but wanted to ask every one on here and see what other though, dont like giving bad advice to ppl

Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:23 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadenRider26 View Post
thanks this is good to know as i some time need to get out sticky situation.
btw i been practicing bliping with two finger and my down shift are smoother thanks for that advice as well
You are welcome

For defensive riding in traffic, it is good practice to shift up or down as frequently as needed in order to keep the engine alive and ready for acceleration.
That means that for example, when slowing down due to traffic, you should downshift way before the rpm's drop too much, so if a dangerous situation suddenly appears, you can just twist the throttle and have the engine working within the power range of rpm's, so it has enough available torque to quickly pull you out of the bad situation.

A common error of many riders is just to pull the clutch and coast in high gear all the way to a red light, just to down shift all the way to first just before stopping.

Another thing to consider is that to open the throttle wide at low speeds and high gear puts excessive load on the cylinder walls and crankshaft journals.
Shifting to lower gears, increases the rpm's and reduces the load and stress on the engine.
Think of your knees and a bicycle equipped with several gears: you do the same work for any selected gear, but a gear that makes you pedaling faster will demand less force from your muscles and joints.

This is a short stroke engine, which has better lubrication and performs better at high rpm's than at low rpm's, especially when cold.
Any 250 engine that is normally singing is happier and can live longer than an engine that is normally kept from spinning fast.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:27 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Is the bike happy?
Is the rider happy?

If so... you're doing it right. 1 or 2k rpm difference either way in shift points at specific rpms don't mean anything. Don't read much into it and ride on.

Happy riding!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2015, 08:00 AM   #12
RadenRider26
Raden Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You are welcome

For defensive riding in traffic, it is good practice to shift up or down as frequently as needed in order to keep the engine alive and ready for acceleration.
That means that for example, when slowing down due to traffic, you should downshift way before the rpm's drop too much, so if a dangerous situation suddenly appears, you can just twist the throttle and have the engine working within the power range of rpm's, so it has enough available torque to quickly pull you out of the bad situation.

A common error of many riders is just to pull the clutch and coast in high gear all the way to a red light, just to down shift all the way to first just before stopping.

Another thing to consider is that to open the throttle wide at low speeds and high gear puts excessive load on the cylinder walls and crankshaft journals.
Shifting to lower gears, increases the rpm's and reduces the load and stress on the engine.
Think of your knees and a bicycle equipped with several gears: you do the same work for any selected gear, but a gear that makes you pedaling faster will demand less force from your muscles and joints.

This is a short stroke engine, which has better lubrication and performs better at high rpm's than at low rpm's, especially when cold.
Any 250 engine that is normally singing is happier and can live longer than an engine that is normally kept from spinning fast.
yes at the moment im shifting down a lot to practice bliping but i since i been doing i notice i can accelerate quicker and over taking car with easy.

Old December 25th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #13
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
shift when you hear datdatdatdatdatdat...

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2016, 08:47 AM   #14
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"