ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 14th, 2016, 10:24 AM   #1
jjmaine
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250, '16 Ninja 300

Condensation on my bike?

I have never had this happen to any of my bikes before and I think it is strange. I havent ridden the little ninja in almost a week and it has been stored inside the garage. Today I noticed condensation on the motor and some on the tank. I could see this maybe happening if I had warmed the bike up and shut it off but its just been sitting there patiently. Has this happened to anyone else before? There's no moisture at all on my other bike. It has rained the past couple days and the humidity is high but why doesn't anything else have condensation on it?!?!? I'm perplexed...
jjmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
That happens when the temperature of the surface of an object is below the dewpoint of the air it's in. The garage was humid, which means the dewpoint was high. Maybe the garage air warmed up and for some reason the dewpoint rose too. Smaller objects warmed up with the air and stayed above the dewpoint, but the heavy, metal motorcycle warmed slower, allowing the dewpoint to get above its surface temperatures. Condensation resulted. I don't know why, but apparently your other motorcycle's surfaces stayed above the dewpoint.

If your garage isn't insulated, it would help to insulate it. If that doesn't cure the problem, a dehumidifier or small inexpensive air conditioner almost certainly would. Starting the bike and warming it up would reduce the chance of it getting condensation on it, not increase it.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #3
jjmaine
ninjette.org member

Thanks Jim. I think I have a grasp of it now, it's just odd that it has never happened before ever. I guess there is a first time for everything. Would it help to keep a cover on it too or would that just add to the problem?

Old August 14th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #4
NinJim
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250-3x; CBR600 & R6 (track bikes); lots of dirt stuff

Just move...

to Utah.
Not ever a problem.

Even when it sits out all night,
in the sprinklers...
cheers,
NinJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmaine View Post
Thanks Jim. I think I have a grasp of it now, it's just odd that it has never happened before ever. I guess there is a first time for everything. Would it help to keep a cover on it too or would that just add to the problem?
I'm not sure a cover would help. That's why I mentioned insulation as a first step, and a dehumidifier or air conditioner next.

A friend rented a stall in a nice new commercial storage building near his house last year. It had a beautiful new concrete floor. I met him there to do some riding with him, and when he opened the door, 3 or 4 motorcycles in there were soaking wet, like you just hosed them down. Worse than that, they were all corroded. A Harley that had been nearly perfect had all its aluminum very dull and spotted. I figure the fresh concrete, very alkaline, had helped make the condensation corrosive. I told him about the concrete floor of my house when it was first poured. It rained that evening, and I found a black, cooked frog in a puddle on the new floor. I trust your concrete isn't new.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #6
jjmaine
ninjette.org member

Ouch, that would suck. I just wiped it down and left the door open and it dried right up. No clue why it happened. It is fine today. I would not be happy if all my stuff started corroding, thats for sure!!

Old August 15th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Jim's right on both counts!

It's physics. A cover won't help.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2016, 01:44 PM   #8
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
If your garage isn't insulated, it would help to insulate it. If that doesn't cure the problem, a dehumidifier or small inexpensive air conditioner almost certainly would.
The OP could also just install a sprinkler inside his garage that way everything would get wet evenly.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I hadn't thought of that, but it's great advice. That's why groups like this are so much better than just one brain doing the thinking!

Old August 15th, 2016, 01:51 PM   #10
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Some people think concrete is a thick impermeable thing. It's not. It's a giant sponge. If it rains outside, water can collect under the slab, or even be absorbed through the side of it if drainage is poor, and be released through the top via hydrostatic pressure. It's extremely porous.

If this is a continuing problem, it would be worth while to have the slab sealed to prevent moisture over taking your garage.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2016, 02:01 PM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Old August 19th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Some people think concrete is a thick impermeable thing. It's not. It's a giant sponge.
Some mixes of concrete will float on water.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote