ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #1
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

It seems my knees are too high when riding

My knees rest pretty much right above the black plastic side fairings where I believe my knees should be. These leaves them against the tank where paint is causing me to worry about marking up my tank and also burns my legs when the tank is hot.
Is my body position wrong or is this normal?
Do I need rearsets to fix my foot position and drop my knees?

Im about 5' 10" and when I sit on the bike my crotch is right up against the tank.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000

Last futzed with by wtfh4xx; July 5th, 2011 at 12:39 AM.
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I'm 6ft and my knees are right up against the tank. Try putting the balls of your feet on the pegs instead of the heel or arch. It'll let you drop your needs down a little. People have often recommended I get rearsets to move the pegs back more but I havent gotten around to it.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #3
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You're OK, just young and dumb!

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfh4xx View Post
Im about 5' 10" and when I sit on the bike my crotch is right up against the tank.
I hated this....thank god my pregen had a banana seat. When I slid my butt all the way back I was pretty much on the pillion seat.

Try wearing a cup?
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Re-pad and re-cover your seat so that it is somewhat more level, that way you don't stay slid in to the tank. A tank bra will also help you from burning your legs and roasting your nuts on the tank.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #6
wtfh4xx

The seat is fine, its a new 2010 ninja.
Ill check to make sure its seated properly and level.
I will also try putting the balls of my feet on the pegs, although its harder to shift that way as you get closer to the toes.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #7
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Somewhat odd, but my knees fit better with my crotch against the tank (6'3") but I always sit as far back as possible. Sitting back against the cowl, I keep the balls of my feet on the pegs rather than arch.

New rear sets will help probably. I'm still waiting on mine to get here from cali
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Re-pad and re-cover your seat so that it is somewhat more level, that way you don't stay slid in to the tank. A tank bra will also help you from burning your legs and roasting your nuts on the tank.
This is what I use for birth control
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #9
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
This is what I use for birth control
The rate your going you wont need birth control

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you'll destroy your nuts if you ride with them against the tank... eventually.

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #11
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfh4xx View Post
The seat is fine, its a new 2010 ninja.
Ill check to make sure its seated properly and level.
I will also try putting the balls of my feet on the pegs, although its harder to shift that way as you get closer to the toes.
When you need to shift just move your feet forward to the shifter and then move it back. It keeps your feet moving and can really help with the longer rides. Also, keep shifting your butt around the length of the seat to find the comfiest spot. Takes some getting used to but I wouldnt be worried about the placement of your knees unless it's bothering you physically.

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you'll destroy your nuts if you ride with them against the tank... eventually.
It's alright, I got a spare
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
no... seriously... you will destroy your nuts if you ride with them against the tank. if you haven't hit a big pothole with them there and you don't believe me, try it.

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
no... seriously... you will destroy your nuts if you ride with them against the tank. if you haven't hit a big pothole with them there and you don't believe me, try it.
Uhmm nah I'll just avoid the potholes lol.
AFM #676

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... you don't always have the ability to avoid bumps and you can't always see them to try to avoid them. trust me when i say your nuts wont like you very much if you hit one with them against the tank. i've been there more than once just cruising and i wish i hadn't

to the OP, i'm around 6'... i didn't like how my knees and ankles felt with stock rearsets... i got some aftermarket woodcraft sets which moved my legs down and back... feels nice.
maybe try moving your feet further out on the pegs. like people said you only need your feet to be able to operate the controls when you need to operate the controls. so when you're just cruising you might as well move them to where they're comfortable.

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... you don't always have the ability to avoid bumps and you can't always see them to try to avoid them. trust me when i say your nuts wont like you very much if you hit one with them against the tank. i've been there more than once just cruising and i wish i hadn't

to the OP, i'm around 6'... i didn't like how my knees and ankles felt with stock rearsets... i got some aftermarket woodcraft sets which moved my legs down and back... feels nice.
maybe try moving your feet further out on the pegs. like people said you only need your feet to be able to operate the controls when you need to operate the controls. so when you're just cruising you might as well move them to where they're comfortable.
It is mild sarcasm. There really isnt any other way for me to sit on the stock seat. If I scoot back I just end up next to the tank again. Hopefully a new Corbin seat will solve this?
AFM #676

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #17
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
not to get off topic, but... use your legs to keep you from sliding forward. your legs should be able to hold you without your upper body being supported by anything else. this is how you keep from putting weight on the handle bars.

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
not to get off topic, but... use your legs to keep you from sliding forward. your legs should be able to hold you without your upper body being supported by anything else. this is how you keep from putting weight on the handle bars.
Yea I have tried that and its really not very comfortable to hold myself back on the seat by using my legs to grip the tank.
AFM #676

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #19
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Yea I have tried that and its really not very comfortable to hold myself back on the seat by using my legs to grip the tank.
workout more? trust me when i say it wont be comfortable when you have to stop on the side of the road to fetch your boys out of your lungs.

you don't need to sit on the back of the seat.. just don't have your boys right against the tank...

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #20
wtfh4xx

No matter what position I use I grip the bike with my lower to support my upper and not lean on the bars.
Whenever I see a bump/pothole I do one thing, lift off the seat like clearing any obstacle.
I learned after the first bump while all laid up on the bike, sucks practically being kicked in the balls while driving a motorcycle at 60. Cant do much about it either lol.
2010 SE 250R!

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
workout more? trust me when i say it wont be comfortable when you have to stop on the side of the road to fetch your boys out of your lungs.

you don't need to sit on the back of the seat.. just don't have your boys right against the tank...
I'm not sure that working out would make it more comfortable lol.

So as I was saying, perhaps a corbin seat will allow me to sit a bit farther back
AFM #676

Old July 5th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #22
Sonofswin
Old Guy, New Bike

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Blue Ninja 250R, Yamaha SRV250

On the balls (of your feet)

Actually, I've always wondered if other folk are riding on the balls of their feet. I found it a more naturally comfortable way to ride my Yamaha SRV250. (Not sold in the States, picture a cafe racer.) It seemed to put me in more of an attack position.

Now, on the 250R, I find myself in the same situation as wtfh4xx, knees right at the sides of the tank, which isn't so comfortable or stable when gripping with the lower body. However, riding on the balls of my feet and slightly forward of the middle of the seat (perhaps counter-intuitively) eliminates the problem. My one worry is the extra millisecond or so of response time required for downshifting and emergency breaking.

Those of you with rearsets & long legs: How are they for riding position? Are they comfortable? Do they reduce cornering clearance (dragging pegs more often?) Do they require more gripping with the legs to keep from sliding forward than normal pegs? They're damned expensive here so I wonder if they're worth it.

(Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, I just don't know anyone here who rides, so I've got no where else to ask questions.)
Sonofswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #23
setasai

Quote:
Some people have used techgrips or stompgrips to add some grippy texture to the tank and knee areas so that gripping the tank isnt as muscle intensive. I went the cheap route and used silicone to make a grippy surface that can be removed cleanly if I choose to. Tri calls it the "rash" on my bike. May not be as pretty but it works.

As for the balls of the feet position. I read it in a sportbike magazine that it is the proper posture for the balls of your feet to be on the pegs. Allows you to put pressure on the pegs and lean into turns without messing with the controls. Since I dont race, I'm not 100% sure.

Good question on the rearsets. I hear great things about them but I have yet to try them out since there are several other expenses that I'd rather purchase before. I wouldnt call the position without them uncomfortable though.

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #24
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I use Buell XB foot pegs. tTey will drop you feet 1 inch this is about the level of the peg feelers of the stock pegs. Most rear sets go up .to get your knees below the tank edge you need down and back.

They need to be filed down about 2mm and the hole needs to be drilled just a little bigger but all that is easy to do. They also come in 2 inch drop but I found them ubcomfortable brcause they don't allow any movement on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buell foot pegs.jpg (124.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2009 season 147.jpg (74.9 KB, 5 views)
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Realist point of view incoming....

I don't think these ninja's are designed with 100% comfort in mind. In the end, they are a application of an entry level sport bike.

In support of good body position try the following;

1. You should be seated away from the tank about 1 fist back (3''-5'').
2. You should be riding with your foot in the proper position. balls not heels
3. You should be supporting your torso by gripping tank with legs

In this case, function trumps comfort.

As for you problem, rearsets (expensive), pegs (think thickness), foot and body position will help you get where you want to be on the bike. Leave no stone unturned. Even have a look at the thickness of the sole of your boot.

The tank burns? Hmm.... I have felt heat through my gear, but no burns. I hope you are geared up. If not (your choice), but find some shade or cover the tank for a bit before you hop on to begin your ride.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #26
wtfh4xx

^This is good info.

I applied the tips in this thread and it IS more comfy and better feeling to ride right behind the ball of my foot.
This keeps the levers about 1/2" in front of my toes, when I placed the balls of my feet on the pegs I wasnt comfortable with how far away the levers were.

Ima keep playing with positions and give some feedback to this thread.
2010 SE 250R!

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #27
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I use Buell XB foot pegs. tTey will drop you feet 1 inch this is about the level of the peg feelers of the stock pegs. Most rear sets go up .to get your knees below the tank edge you need down and back.

They need to be filed down about 2mm and the hole needs to be drilled just a little bigger but all that is easy to do. They also come in 2 inch drop but I found them ubcomfortable brcause they don't allow any movement on the bike.
custom weight reduction on the stock rearsets... FANCY! i like what you did there. i like it alot.

Old July 6th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #28
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
custom weight reduction on the stock rearsets... FANCY! i like what you did there. i like it alot.
Thanks it is a result of winter and boredome.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote