ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 14th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #1
positiveR8
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Markian

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Stepping up from the 250: SV650 or GSXR-600?

Hey everyone,
I've had my '08 Ninja 250 for a little over a year now and put about 4k miles on it, and I'm finding myself looking for a little more get up and go. Looking for a bike in the 600cc range. Torn between a GSX-R 600 and an SV650S.

Seems the SV would be a safer upgrade, but I hear bad things about the suspension and a lot of the riding I'd be doing would be in the canyons on weekends. I'm leaning toward the GSX-R if only for the stiffer suspension and more agressive riding position (not so much for the extra high-end power... if anything the torquiness of the SV sounds like it might be more fun). Think the GSX-R is too big of a step up for a second bike? Would it be wiser to stick with the SV? I'm going to try to test ride both to get an idea, but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
positiveR8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #2
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

The SV 650 would be a "safe" upgrade from the 250. Will have close to the same riding position and just a slight bit taller. Power will be just as predictable and lots of torque.

With only a year riding xp, the gixxer might overwhelm you. It will be a LOT more sensitive to the throttle and the riding position hurts most ppl.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #3
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

If u get one of the newer gsxr it has different modes you can set full power, normal, and reduced power mode which cuts back the throttle response.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #4
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Only you can really know if you're mature enough for a gsxr600. If you feel you have the knowledge and self control, I'd say get the gsxr.

Just hope you know how to work a spanner :P
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Markian!

I personal love the look of the track setup/ready SV's over a gsxr. Was the twofiddy your first bike? Either bike is gunna be a nice step up in power. Both will need to come with a healthy dose of self control and open mind to learn. So it really don't matter which you pick if you only have 4k miles of seat time.

If you ride around town and commute I would say SV, if you plan on hitting the canyons and track, I would go gsxr.

Either way, I wish you a safe and fun ride.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #6
ator
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

I have owned both, the SV didn't change too much over the years but the GSXR did, what year GSXR are you looking at?

For example, I owned a 93 GSXR 600 and it felt like a little tank, on top of that it only made real power in the high RPM's. I also owned an 01 GSXR 600, actually owned that bike and a Canadaian 01SVS at the same time. I often found myself riding the SV because it was more comfortable and still had enough get up and go. The GSXR was obviously faster, can't say it was more fun, but definetly faster.

All depends on what you are looking for. Also, year, condition, price

If I could have one bike back that I sold it would be the SV
ator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #7
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Like the others, it's your preference, would you rather have a comfortable ride all the time with some fun or a somewhat comfortable ride with tons of fun. That's not 100% acurate, but you get the idea.

I actually got to try out a buddy's '08 gsxr600 on an abandoned race track. Boy there was a massive night and day difference. I couldn't believe the massive globs of power it had, and just testing the throttle in 4th gear I hit 130mph without trying. Everything just felt so precise and grounded, like what you thought, the bike did. The seating position was different, but I could feel as though I in my young age could handle some long hours. Now, this bike had been lowered and had a super loud Jardine exhaust, but it was essentially stock. The gear indicator was a nice function, but the one thing that made me smile more than ever was the throttle response. I could finally blip the throttle and change gears so quickly I would catch myself changing gears too much.

So either choice you make man, be safe!
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #8
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

don't waste your time-go straight to a 1000-you'll want one eventually
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #9
positiveR8
ninjette.org newbie

Wow thanks for the quick reply guys! I'm looking at either a 2006+ GSX-R or the newer style SV (2004+). I love the way the 250 handles, but I could definitely use a little more power. I like the GSX-R styling more than the SV, and I'm sure the handling on the GSX-R is great, I just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. I'm pretty sure self-control won't be an issue, but from the sounds of it inexperience might bite me in the ass (if I slip up on the throttle or something). I consider myself a pretty responsible/safe rider, but I am on a 250 so it's hard to gauge how much skill I really have with power control.

With the SV it sounds like I don't have to worry as much about screwing up with throttle control. What really turns me off though is all the reviews on the suspension. Makes me think it won't be as fun to ride in the canyons as my 250 is. I also think the GSX-R looks better, but looks come second to making sure I don't kill myself

I guess what I'm getting at is I know I'm not experienced enough to make a totally educated decision about what's too much for this stage in my riding career. I want something aggressive, but I don't want a bike where I have to constantly watch myself to keep from killing myself (I wanna be able to relax and have a little fun). Anyone strongly against upgrading to a GSX-R for any reason? Ultimately it'll come down to test rides I take, but tips from experienced riders are always appreciated

Thanks again!

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #10
positiveR8
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlab View Post
I really have no use for a 1000. I'm hoping that was sarcasm

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #11
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

The fact that the gsxr600 2008 and higher have that program mode button helps for the forgiveness of the throttle. Now it still can bite if you are careless, but I've heard it helps alot.

I think some test rides, if you can get them, will definitely help in your decicion. Even if it is around a parking lot, you can shift a few times, get a feel for the throttle, but not so much of the suspension.

Maybe if you have friends with these bikes, you could ask if you can look or sit on them.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #12
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

What is your riding style? Do you commute/ride everywhere? Are your bikes just for fun? Do you want to sport tour? You are talking two diffrent bikes here so your riding style will make a huge difference in your choice.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #13
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

SV is on my short list of future bikes, but I don't really want another twin. Also on that list is the VFR800, and the Triumph Sprint ST 1050.

I will have an SS bike at some point, but for now I think I want something that's a little better for touring.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #14
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveR8 View Post
What really turns me off though is all the reviews on the suspension. Makes me think it won't be as fun to ride in the canyons as my 250 is.
Wait wait wait- so the reason you're hesitant on the SV is because you're afraid that the suspension will be less capable than that of a stock 250?

Just wanted to make sure I read that right. Alright, carry on.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
SV is on my short list of future bikes, but I don't really want another twin. Also on that list is the VFR800, and the Triumph Sprint ST 1050.

I will have an SS bike at some point, but for now I think I want something that's a little better for touring.
Check out the fzr600 line as well. Avoid the fz600r that they sell now though only like 70hp on them, the older naked ones fun about 100hp use the 03 r6 engine (great engine design on that one) tuned more for street then track (as opposed to an r6 all high end power). I have an 07 and am in love with it, 42k miles and still going strong.

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Avoid the fz600r that they sell now though only like 70hp on them.
W-what's wrong with only having, like, 70hp. That's really a lot of horses, I swear T_T

Just for that, I'm going to force you to ride the 650 next time

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #17
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Kinda surprised no one has suggested it yet, and even more surprised I'm saying it but....I'd say stick with the 250. You've said yourself that you're still a bit inexperienced and not sure if you're really ready for either bike. You say you could definitely use more power but from what I hear, there are few situations where the 250 doesn't have plenty of power, IF you know how to ride it. Are you actually finding yourself needing more power in general commuting? Or just when you're riding with your buddies and want to keep up? Make sure you don't let your desire to be one of the guys outweigh the good judgement of learning properly on the 250.

The SV650 has a pretty on/off throttle on it's own. Probably not comparable to the GSXR600, but don't underestimate it. Both bikes can and will bite you in the ass if you make a beginner mistake.

If you really feel like you just can't contain yourself and you HAVE to have that extra power regardless of if you're ready for it or not, I'd say go with the SV650. If you get one of the 09+ GSXRs with the modes, that could help but the SV650 would probably still be the safer bet. They're still pretty maneuverable and the throttle won't kill you. BUT, chances are, you'll still be burnt by 600s on a straightaway.

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #18
positiveR8
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
What is your riding style? Do you commute/ride everywhere? Are your bikes just for fun? Do you want to sport tour? You are talking two diffrent bikes here so your riding style will make a huge difference in your choice.
Most of the riding I do is for fun. I have a car to commute with, so I don't commute with the bike too often. I'd like to be able to take some longer rides once in a while, but again that doesn't happen too often. For the most part I use the bike on days off to hit the canyons or cruise town.

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
dont bother with that wimpy sv. its a girls bike. buy a gsxr1000.

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #20
positiveR8
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
Wait wait wait- so the reason you're hesitant on the SV is because you're afraid that the suspension will be less capable than that of a stock 250?

Just wanted to make sure I read that right. Alright, carry on.
Well I'm sure the SV suspension is capable, but capable of what is the question, right? A softer suspension is good for the streets, but not as good if you're doing some maneuvering in canyons, etc. From the research I've done it seems the stock suspension on the SV is pretty soft, especially in the front. Don't really have much to compare to, but with the 250 it seems the suspension is somewhat firm (enough to where it doesn't have a huge amount of travel as I'm maneuvering the bike).

Not too worried about keeping up with my buddies on the 250, but I find myself with the throttle wide open a good amount of the time looking for more acceleration. That's why I want to step up the power a bit.

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #21
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Well I'm sure the SV suspension is capable, but capable of what is the question, right? A softer suspension is good for the streets, but not as good if you're doing some maneuvering in canyons, etc. From the research I've done it seems the stock suspension on the SV is pretty soft, especially in the front. Don't really have much to compare to, but with the 250 it seems the suspension is somewhat firm (enough to where it doesn't have a huge amount of travel as I'm maneuvering the bike).

Not too worried about keeping up with my buddies on the 250, but I find myself with the throttle wide open a good amount of the time looking for more acceleration. That's why I want to step up the power a bit.
people who say that say it because they scared that the front dives when they slam on the brakes. if you are smooth, the suspension is fine. and by smooth i dont mean slow. im running 20 year old standard forks (that are bent) with the most basic single link shock you could imagine. it will easily bottom out if you do it wrong. but if you do it right, well. it doesnt matter because you arent fighting the suspension. street suspension is more than enough for almost everything you could do with a bike with 70hp, which is a lot. you need fancy suspension when you are wot in 5th dragging knee

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #22
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Quote:

No no, my point was that on the 250, you're currently riding on some of the least advanced sportbike suspension that exists on the street, and if that feels adequate, then you have nothing to worry about in that regard with the SV.

And if down the line, you get much better at riding and feel you're working beyond the limits of the suspension, upgrading it is cheap and easy. But for now, little things like that- especially just for canyon riding- won't make a lick of difference to you. If you really want a gixxer, then by all means, get one. There's nothing wrong with getting a bike you actually want because you actually want it. Just don't use silly reasons like "The SV's suspension wasn't good enough for me" to justify it.

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
No no, my point was that on the 250, you're currently riding on some of the least advanced sportbike suspension that exists on the street
that might be a bit extreme tiffani... look at my bike.

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #24
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

Quote:
Check out the fzr600 line as well. Avoid the fz600r that they sell now though only like 70hp on them, the older naked ones fun about 100hp use the 03 r6 engine (great engine design on that one) tuned more for street then track (as opposed to an r6 all high end power). I have an 07 and am in love with it, 42k miles and still going strong.
I've looked at the Fz6 and Fz1, but I'm stubborn and want a full fairing. I think the only half faired/naked bike I actually like the look of is the new Fz8, but I want to ride one first.

I actually rode the new FZ6R and quite enjoyed it. I know it's only 70hp instead of 100, but 70 is still a far cry from what, 25 that my 250 puts out? I found it plenty fast enough, and I liked the riding position. Not terribly crazy about the over/under headlight on it tho, but if I could find one in the 2010 gold/black raven colour scheme and I could afford it, I'd buy it.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #25
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Correction: You're currently riding on some of the least advanced sportbike suspension that still exists on the street in this century.

Sorry about that, Alex. Sometimes I forget about the old beaters that use sliding glass door mechanisms and bed springs for performance <3

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
old beaters that use sliding glass door mechanisms and bed springs for performance <3
dont be jelly.

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #27
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
W-what's wrong with only having, like, 70hp. That's really a lot of horses, I swear T_T

Just for that, I'm going to force you to ride the 650 next time
Nothing to force i would love to ride it, you can take the fazer for a spin as well

As for the suspension i just have to lol at that, you are currently on a bike that just backing off the throttle will cause the front end to compress and you are worried about the suspension on an sv. Rofl

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #28
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if you guys are so worried about soft suspension why not just change the damping oil weight. go to 15w or something, add some more preload. you can do a lot with "non-adjustable" forks, its just doesnt take 5 seconds like fancy gsxr forks do.

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #29
positiveR8
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
No no, my point was that on the 250, you're currently riding on some of the least advanced sportbike suspension that exists on the street, and if that feels adequate, then you have nothing to worry about in that regard with the SV.

And if down the line, you get much better at riding and feel you're working beyond the limits of the suspension, upgrading it is cheap and easy. But for now, little things like that- especially just for canyon riding- won't make a lick of difference to you. If you really want a gixxer, then by all means, get one. There's nothing wrong with getting a bike you actually want because you actually want it. Just don't use silly reasons like "The SV's suspension wasn't good enough for me" to justify it.
Well it really was an honest concern for me. Good to know the suspension isn't as bad as I thought it was. Definitely want a GSX-R, but when I'm ready for one. Sounding more and more like the SV would work better as a second bike. Thanks for the help!

Old February 14th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #30
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlab View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
dont bother with that wimpy sv. its a girls bike. buy a gsxr1000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
dont be jelly.
I agree!

Old February 14th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #31
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

I can't contribute to the gixxer but the pops has an 04 SV semi fared. (looks like a bumble bee!) I ride it tonnes and imo it is still crazy power compared to the ninja, especially on the low end. I have wheelied a few times at red lights thinking that i had my 250 between my legs rather than 70+ hp SV.
The bike is bloody solid. (especially and 04)

In regards to the suspension its generally accepted that after around 30 000km
(18600miles) the suspension will be in need of a refit. if you plan on taking it to the track the upgrade will be necessary. What a lot of people like to do is swap the front and rear shocks with used gixxer shocks. At around $600-800 bucks( not including labour) your suspension will be much more like that of the GSX.

Either bike will be a huge upgrade and buckets of panty melting fun but Imo the SV is entirely more practical, affordable, and suited to all around riding.

the gsx is bloody sexy though...
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #32
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you can competently ride a small bike, and have competent throttle control and know what you're doing, you can "upgrade" to any bike that you want to ride. Heck, you can go out and buy the biggest, baddest S100RR or ZX14R you want. You'll be just fine as long as you know what you're doing. Asking us about which bike to go for doesn't really do anything. Ask yourself whether you think you're ready for a larger bike with more power and temptation, along with the ability to spin the rear, lift the front, or do cartwheels if you do something dumb.

Personally, I've got more than 8k miles and 2 seasons riding time on the 250, and I'm still learning. I won't be getting a supersport until I feel I'm ready to ride one every day. I rode one all last summer and loved it for what it was, but I will be keeping my 250 because I'm still learning and gaining experience.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #33
Error_mage
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold), 2001 Suzuki SV 650S

Currently I’m also looking at an SV650, albeit an older model (2000) and have a test ride scheduled for March (cause of the weather here). Reviews complain about on/off throttle, soft suspension and brakes. However, looking for a bike that’s a sporty commuter much like the ninja with a couple more horses and some legroom at a budget it’s the best I could find. An alternative that pops up ever so often in the used market here is the Honda Hornet 600…

Well if you do decide to go with the SV650 (sounds like you’re leaning that way?), I’d love to hear how it runs etc. When/if things work out for me in March I’ll post whatever experiences or impressions I’ve gathered.

Old February 15th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #34
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 11 CBR250R

I went from a 250 to a gsxr-600. have a k8. I can tell you there is quite a difference between the 08 plus and the 06-07. slipper clutch, more mid range, electronic steering dampener. you have any specific questions shoot. I can go into all kinds of details but the main point is you will love it. Its freaking awesome. I did keep my 250 and now have 2 bikes and love them both but i ride the 600 a lot more.
Hopmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #35
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
The SV 650 would be a "safe" upgrade from the 250. Will have close to the same riding position and just a slight bit taller. Power will be just as predictable and lots of torque.

With only a year riding xp, the gixxer might overwhelm you. It will be a LOT more sensitive to the throttle and the riding position hurts most ppl.

Have you driven an sv650?
Those things are mad on torque, you turn that throttle and ur gone, accelerate like crazy from 3 rpm

Old February 15th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #36
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

p.s
and no 600 do not overwhelm with throttle, the throttle isn't as touchy as most freakout it is.
Once you bring it up to 6 7 rpms, thats when it gets touchy

Old February 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #37
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
p.s
and no 600 do not overwhelm with throttle, the throttle isn't as touchy as most freakout it is.
Once you bring it up to 6 7 rpms, thats when it gets touchy
They're incredibly touchy compared to a 250!

To get the 250 to rev to 5k, it takes a solid twist, and then some time for the bike to rev up and back down.

To get a carberated supersport to rev to 5k and back, it take's a quick blip. The rpms jump and drop, just like that. A modern, fuel injected bike will be even quicker on the throttle response.

But yes while riding, they are pretty instant on the throttle above 7k
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #38
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

I rode a '03 Honda VFR 800 last weekend after my ninja broke down on the highway 70 miles from home. Luckily one of my good freinds lives up that way and his dad let me borrow his new toy.

With a total of 600 miles of riding experience; I had to ride 60 highway miles across Houston at night while it was sprinkling. To say I was nervous, is an understatement. But after getting on the bike, rocking it to find the friction zone and revving it up to 6000 or so a few times just to feel the throttle response, I felt pretty comfortable riding it.

The VFR is know to have a pretty substantial change in the power curve at 6500 rpm when it switches from two valves per cylinder to 4. The shift was clearly there but not overwhelming. It had gobs of power all over the throttle range, but as long as you remember the basics of clutch control and be mindful that a fistful of throttle will get you in trouble, you will be fine with whatever you get.

Personally I like the ergo's of the SV. I am interested in eventually stepping up to the SV650. In '03 they switched to fuel injection. In '07 they added twin spark plugs per cylinder, an O2 sensor, and ABS as an option.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #39
Ulivious
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE(Black on white w/ Red trim)

Want an i4 600cc bike and a similar riding position? The fz6r is a nice choice!

Just my 2 cents.
Ulivious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #40
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
fz6r is upright seating position.