ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 29th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #1
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

(Re-)Pack Jardine RT-5 Slip On?

Searched around but couldn't find anything definitive. Last weekend, was cleaning the bike up, and notice the fair amount of dirt and exhaust debris (carbon) built up on the Jardine RT-5 slip on that I have on bike. Removed it from pipe, found some screws that allowed disassembly. Disassembled to clean, but was kinda befuddled that there was no packing inside. Just a resonator pipe going through the body of the slip on.

Questions:
Does anyone know if there originally was packing in these cans? I bought second hand with exhaust already on, so I'm unsure.

Can I repack it? Wrap exhaust packing around the resonator pipe, inside the body of slip on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks~

Old August 29th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I don't see why you couldn't pack it with fiberglass. As long as it's just a perforated tube held inside a canister, you should be able to. I recently did this with my muzzy can. I used the fiberglass that Area P sells on their site because it's strings like spaghetti that you push into the cansister, not a mat that you roll around the perforated tube. I don't think it functionally makes a difference, I just thought that would be easier to work with.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #3
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

I like the idea of the Area P material, like the Yoshi stuff. I bought a $10 kit off amazon, will try that. If it doesn't work out, maybe I'll get the Area P kit. Thanks.

Old August 30th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
You could probably use house insulation like they sell at Home Depot. Just make sure you don't include any paper backing!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2015, 04:23 AM   #5
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

I'm going to stick with the universal Two Brothers packing kit from Amazon....and if I think it could be better, I'll check out the Area P/Yoshi kits.

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:05 AM   #6
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

So the universal two brothers kit from Amazon is slightly misleading...was steel wool sheets, no repack fiberglass material. Ended up running to local bike shop and getting the Moose Brothers Racing fiberglass pack material. (How about that @csmith12...) which they had for $8 a sheet, shocking.

Anyways, made one complete wrap with the steel wool around core, then wrapped the fiberglass material around that until I could no longer fit the core inside the can. Taped that up, packed into the can, reinstalled.

Not as throaty, somewhat more consistent idle. Little quieter at WOT, may have lost a little power, but the current installed dyno gauge is slightly influenced by sound, so that may throw it off....No backfires anymore, and blipping doesn't produce random pops, no popping on decel. Overall, I'm okay with it. Have close to 300 miles on this over the last two weeks, will keep checking. I still may consider doing this over with the Yoshi kit.

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

What shop did you go to?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:10 AM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Maybe that's why Two Brothers cans are so loud for what they are... are they all packed with steel wool instead of glass?

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:15 AM   #9
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

What shop did you go to?
Beechmont Motorsports off 125 and 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Maybe that's why Two Brothers cans are so loud for what they are... are they all packed with steel wool instead of glass?
Maybe. Not sure. Its like an industrial grade, thicker steel wool pad. Just didn't seem that by wrapping with only that, it would do anything. Plus, from my early days of modding my first 250 with a GSX-R exhaust, packed with steel wool, the steel wool packing caught on fire and spit a few really cool fireballs out of the exhaust....just didn't seem like a good idea. Hence wrapping the fiberglass wrap on the outside. Plus all the DIY videos I found on YouTube followed that procedure.

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #10
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

How often do you guys repack a can - I honestly am not sure I have ever done one lol. It just kinda gets louder and louder I suppose lol.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I repack when I hear stuff rattling around in there. lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
When it gets raspy and goes "BBRAAAAAAAAAPP", there's usually about half the packing blown out of it. I repacked mine this spring, I'm glad I did. No more brap, not much quieter.

Old September 18th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #13
BrianATX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Jardine RT-5

I have the Jardine RT-5 full exhaust on my bike. There is no packing material in this muffler. I know some of Jardine's other lines will have packing material but the RT-5 line does not. Not sure if putting packing material in it anyway would harm it.

Product PDF on their website:

http://www.jardineproducts.com/image...618-123-02.pdf
BrianATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #14
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

I found this while researching, but where does it mention anything about no packing in the muffler? Throug my limited research, packing the muffler is almost integral to performance due to back pressure needed at the head.

My system was installed on bike already when I purchased from previous owner. Did you install your system?

Old September 19th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #15
BrianATX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

It was already installed on my bike. I think I contacted someone a few years ago. I like you was thinking it must be time to repack it. But I could only find repack kits for the RT-1 series. I think I was on Revzilla but Jardine has a contact us link on their webpage. When I took mine apart to take a peak inside I also found a bunch of nothing inside. It is my understanding the less back pressure the better the engine is able to perform.
BrianATX is offline   Reply With Quote