ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old December 26th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #1
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Textile or kevlar for summer?

I'm looking at getting a new pair of riding pants for the warmer weather but I need some opinions from those who have some experience with these. I have a pair of the Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 textile pants but due to them being waterproof they really don't breathe at all and it's time to find something that won't make me sweat so much and are decently comfortable to walk around in. I like the kevlar pants since they seem like they would be fairly comfortable and protective when paired with strapped on armor. The textile is nice but depending on the type of textile it could melt into your skin in the event of a crash, but they can be used as an overpant.

I've been looking into several pants so if anyone has info on the ones I list that'd be helpful as well.

Jeans with strap on armor:
-Sliders 4.0
-Drayko jeans (unsure of which style)
-Speed & Strength Rage with the Machine (no reviews found on these so I'm leary)
-Dainese d6 kevlar jeans (not sure if worth the extra money, though)

-Any type of overpant or textile pants, I need to do more research on these so I don't end up hating them like I do with my current ones.

I'm open to suggestions and I know some will recommend leather but I think that will be too hot for me and I understand other options won't be as great. I'm also looking to try and stay around $200.

Thanks.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #2
Singh2jz
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

just got my overpants from tourmasters. its the venture air pants, they were on sale for about $160. i have less than two hours of experience with them, so all I know is that they're very comfortable and that they really block out the cold wind

heres a link that has some good info..http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...888#post615888

good luck!
Singh2jz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I will go ahead and say it because it's coming anyway...... go leather if you can afford it.

You are in OH and I put more miles down in OH this year than in KY. During the humid dog days of summer it's not going to matter, everything is hot and sticky. Just make sure it breaths well and that is about all you can do. It's gross but it's the sweat that cools you off during hot weather riding. Drink, drink, drink and then drink some more and learn to love to sweat.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I will go ahead and say it because it's coming anyway...... go leather if you can afford it.

You are in OH and I put more miles down in OH this year than in KY. During the humid dog days of summer it's not going to matter, everything is hot and sticky. Just make sure it breaths well and that is about all you can do. It's gross but it's the sweat that cools you off during hot weather riding. Drink, drink, drink and then drink some more and learn to love to sweat.
Well I was looking at something cooler for when I plan to ride somewhere and not be too sweaty. If I go for an all day ride without a destination I don't mind being sweaty because as you said it does help cool you down and I can just shower at home. That's why it's not an option and I understand it can be a slight compromise.

Another plus is if I ride somewhere kevlar jeans don't look so out of place but then I'll need knee and hip armor, but again I can't figure out what's a good buy or just crap with all the stuff out there. I'm kind of 50/50 on what to get which is why I was hoping people would chime in with what they have.

Old December 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #6
scottg
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I have Draggin kevlar longjohns with the optional knee and hip armor. Because they are waffley material, they don't really get all that hot surprisingly. The armor is kinda lame though, you have to buy lots of velcro that sticks the armor to the kevlar longjohn itself. It's pretty secure once you buy a lot of velcro to basically cover the inside of the armor to get it to really stick. I can't say I'm thrilled with it but it does the job and it's not really that hot.
scottg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Look into Under Armour padded shorts. I have been convinced from seeing the evidence in the paddock that these help. Great protection for the price.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #8
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

not sold on kevlar jeans yet.

i feel the added external/internal armor would get uncomfortable during the ride, and also the material thickness of the jeans kind of give me pause.

i'm thinking the best choices are high quality mesh textiles like the revit air pants, offer good protection as well as vent, or spend money on good perfed leather.

agree with everyone that you wont escape the heat. i rode in 100 deg high humidity weather with full mesh gear and it worked out ok. i imagine the kevlar jean would have not vented too well.

Old December 27th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #9
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
not sold on kevlar jeans yet.

i feel the added external/internal armor would get uncomfortable during the ride, and also the material thickness of the jeans kind of give me pause.

i'm thinking the best choices are high quality mesh textiles like the revit air pants, offer good protection as well as vent, or spend money on good perfed leather.

agree with everyone that you wont escape the heat. i rode in 100 deg high humidity weather with full mesh gear and it worked out ok. i imagine the kevlar jean would have not vented too well.
Yeah I've never rode with strapped on armor so I don't know how uncomfortable it gets after a couple of hours. My thoughts on overpants are that if they're loose enough to fit over pants/shorts then the armor may not stay in place. And I understand you can't escape the heat but I can buy something more comfortable while in it because as I said, my current ones don't breathe much at all and are almost too small for me.

I'm assuming with textile you want to go with cordura, right? I may look into a textile and order a size up so it could be used as an overpant.

These look pretty nice but I've never had Teknic gear.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=12946

Or how about Joe Rocket gear?

Old December 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #10
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

the armor on loose fitting textiles does shift after the initial impact, but from experience abrasion resistance is a real advantage for on road crashes.

i have no experience with teknic products other than their chicane gauntlets, which are pretty good imo.

the pants do look solid though, but i would definitely try them on at a local shop if possible if you're using them as an overpant.