ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Multiple Cameras

So as a lot of you know from my crash thread I ride with a Contour+2 attached to my helmet. I'm considering grabbing another camera (or, if the price is right, 2) so I can do some nice editing with more than one view point and maybe make some more pleasant and less collision oriented videos in the future.

I'm wondering what the 'best' companion would be. Another +2 would work but is very expensive and a lot of the features (GPS, for example) are redundant. I could get a ROAM2 but that doesn't have a removable battery and I really like that feature. Maybe the 'old' Contour+? Maybe a GoPro of some variant? Anybody have any thoughts?
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #2
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

I think @Jiggles will probably be able to help with this. I'll probably lurk and see what everyone says.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
I think @Jiggles will probably be able to help with this. I'll probably lurk and see what everyone says.
But Jiggles expertise is in collision oriented videos

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #4
EternalNewb

Thanks, Yakaru. I nearly just choked on my Earl Grey.

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

If you want it to attach to your helmet, then drift is the best option, anywhere else on the bike, then gopro is good and rugged.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
If you want it to attach to your helmet, then drift is the best option, anywhere else on the bike, then gopro is good and rugged.
The Contour+2 is already on my helmet, so chances are what I pick up will somehow be bike mounted.

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #7
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
But Jiggles expertise is in collision oriented videos
WIN!

He does pretty cool stuff with his cameras though, I only have my helmet cam and I could mount a small bloggie directly behind the windshield to record at the same time but I have yet to go on any epic rides or to even record anything cool. I wish cool things happened to me

And all my footage is boring stuff of the same route to work and back. Maybe when I get some road footage I can edit them together and put them to music from a DJ mix I'll do or something...something to listen to while you do homework or something I don't know

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Gopro on the rear cowel, edit with Power Director 11

Link to original page on YouTube.

Or you could always go with the 'whole-bunch-of-****ing-cameras-everywhere' method

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Are those all GoPros? I assume most would be the 'cheapo' version?

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #10
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
What's in your budget? What features are you looking for exactly? I have a Drift HD Ghost, that I'm still testing out, but I love it so far.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
I'm trying to keep the budget down, probably like 300-400 but preferably less. I could be convinced to do more/less but it impacts the other things I want to do (track days, bike mods, maybe actually saving some money :P)

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Are those all GoPros? I assume most would be the 'cheapo' version?
2 gopros and a contour
AFM #676

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #13
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
2 gopros and a contour
Makes sense; a GoPro would be nice for it's mic too -- the Contour is just a bucket of wind.
Hmm... if I want to go all out (and this is more money than I have) I suppose something like a Black edition for a forward mount and maybe a silver/white for something on the back?

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Makes sense; a GoPro would be nice for it's mic too -- the Contour is just a bucket of wind.
Hmm... if I want to go all out (and this is more money than I have) I suppose something like a Black edition for a forward mount and maybe a silver/white for something on the back?
I believe @rojoracing53 is doing that. Whats nice is you can control all gopro 3s with one remote or phone
AFM #676

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #15
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Do you want to vlog? Some cameras have mics you can attach inside your helmet, mine does (Drift HD170) but I don't need it at all so I'm fine with mine just sounding super windy. The only times I've cared about the mic was when I did Tough Mudder and it worked fine even in the waterproof bag. The main purpose for my cameras is to record if something significant ever happens and I don't think I'll need sound for that.

#KCCO

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #16
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
If I want to actually say something a mic in the helmet is definitely the way to go, but honestly I'm too shy for that.
The reason for it is that with the contour I have to mute the audio on anything I put up because all you hear is wind -- GoPros let you hear the engine and such much better from what friends have said.

Old March 12th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
If I want to actually say something a mic in the helmet is definitely the way to go, but honestly I'm too shy for that.
The reason for it is that with the contour I have to mute the audio on anything I put up because all you hear is wind -- GoPros let you hear the engine and such much better from what friends have said.
Not if the gopro is in the wind. You can attach a mic to a gopro and put it under the fairing. I use the sound from my rear facing gopro because there is less wind noise on it
AFM #676

Old March 12th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #18
EternalNewb

What kind of a mic input does the Hero 3 have?

Old March 12th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
usb
AFM #676

Old March 12th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #20
EternalNewb

Really? Weird. Thanks.

Old March 12th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #21
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
You can get a Micover Stickover-Mini Universal Windscreen for DSLRs, Phones, Laptops, Small Video Cameras for your action cameras, it helps with the wind noise levels. Oh, I forgot to mention, as for mic, I just picked this up recently Sony ECMCS3 Clip style Omnidirectional Stereo Microphone, you can check the reviews on youtube as well.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #22
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Minor topic change, but relevant to the conversation -- if I were to want to speak I might have a problem in that I have the integrated SRC system for my helmet ( http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...pro-src-system ) -- is there a way to pass through that mic to the video file? I don't think I could fit two comfortably.

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #23
YORCHI
n00b

I've also heard of people taping a piece of foam, a bandaid, or wind blocking stickers that video camera people use. My bike still sounds like angry lawnmower so I definitely don't want to be listening to that lol

#KCCO

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #24
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
I've also heard of people taping a piece of foam, a bandaid, or wind blocking stickers that video camera people use. My bike still sounds like angry lawnmower so I definitely don't want to be listening to that lol
Sounds like you need an Area P! Then you'll have a badass angry lawnmower! :P

... but seriously a bunch of riders said very sweet things about my 250's AreaP exhaust sound.

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #25
YORCHI
n00b

Yea I'm gonna try and get one from the group buy...then I'm gonna need a few more mods cause once you start you might as well keep going

#KCCO

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #26
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

google the Polaroid action cams...they seem to be a good alternative under 100 bucks.

Old March 12th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #27
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Minor topic change, but relevant to the conversation -- if I were to want to speak I might have a problem in that I have the integrated SRC system for my helmet ( http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...pro-src-system ) -- is there a way to pass through that mic to the video file? I don't think I could fit two comfortably.
I've done this with my schuberth. I record the audio with an iphone app called audiomemos. It allows recording through bluetooth, and then I can sync it up later, but recording straight to the gopro is easier and better quality
AFM #676

Old March 13th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #28
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I've got two hero3 blacks, one forward and one back and both hardwired to the bike for power. Ive also got the wifi remote mounted to the handlebars for easy start and atop control.

If you want I have two old contours I don't use anymore I'll sell you. Ones a 1080p and I think the other is the 720. I'd use the 1080p for a rear cam and the 720 to film different hand and foot controls, maybe some suspension movement.

I your back in the LA area this week I'll bring them down so you can check them out.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #29
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I swear by my contour because I don't want to look like a telletubby riding down the road with a go-pro on my head.

at least some of the new contour cameras have a removable battery, and mic input, my buddy just bought one, and it has all of those things. I think it was the +2
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #30
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I'd stick a controur roam on the other side of your helmet, as with any camera system you save by buying like brands, the original contour will look similar to your new one in terms of video quality, you will have the option with the rail system to mount either side facing backwards and forwards or both back and both forwards for super wide footage, the mounts will be unobtruive and will look less obtrusive mounted with a camera aft and forward due to the symetry. From a technical standpoint it's less software to deal with and you'll be able to interchange memory cards and the battery issue, I thought it'd be an issue for me, but it's not, I just leave it plugged into my pc till it goes green and I have never had it run out of battery before memory on my 32gb card, they're both waterproof so no housing to faff with and after the upgrade they did to the firmware my Roam has excellent video quality.

You could also mount the extra mounts you get with a new system to your tank or tail and use either your new or old contour on them without having to buy a whole other mount kit for about $30.

Stick with Contour
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #31
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
I'd stick a controur roam on the other side of your helmet, as with any camera system you save by buying like brands, the original contour will look similar to your new one in terms of video quality, you will have the option with the rail system to mount either side facing backwards and forwards or both back and both forwards for super wide footage, the mounts will be unobtruive and will look less obtrusive mounted with a camera aft and forward due to the symetry. From a technical standpoint it's less software to deal with and you'll be able to interchange memory cards and the battery issue, I thought it'd be an issue for me, but it's not, I just leave it plugged into my pc till it goes green and I have never had it run out of battery before memory on my 32gb card, they're both waterproof so no housing to faff with and after the upgrade they did to the firmware my Roam has excellent video quality.

You could also mount the extra mounts you get with a new system to your tank or tail and use either your new or old contour on them without having to buy a whole other mount kit for about $30.

Stick with Contour
She could go with both forward one on each side of the lid & use one of her work computers to render it into 3D...
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #32
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
She could go with both forward one on each side of the lid & use one of her work computers to render it into 3D...
Or you could just get the gopro 3d bundle and have it done for you

http://www.motocrossgiant.com/Produc...FSmoPAod3BEAug
AFM #676

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #33
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Or you could just get the gopro 3d bundle and have it done for you

http://www.motocrossgiant.com/Produc...FSmoPAod3BEAug
Where do you think I got the idea?
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #34
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

id get the Drift Ghost HD

theres also the best i guess promotion from a motovlogger that ive seen.

http://driftinnovation.com/
Get $30 off 1080HD or Ghost Drift Camera's with code: Snake
Get $100 in free accessories when you buy the Drift Ghost with code: TGS

dooo ettt
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #35
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Damn $100???
AFM #676

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #36
REDCOMET
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): None yet (ninja 250 coming soon)

how about bullet cams like these?
http://www.4kam.com/index.htm

Last futzed with by REDCOMET; March 13th, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
REDCOMET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #37
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I've got two hero3 blacks, one forward and one back and both hardwired to the bike for power. Ive also got the wifi remote mounted to the handlebars for easy start and atop control.

If you want I have two old contours I don't use anymore I'll sell you. Ones a 1080p and I think the other is the 720. I'd use the 1080p for a rear cam and the 720 to film different hand and foot controls, maybe some suspension movement.

I your back in the LA area this week I'll bring them down so you can check them out.
Just got paid today!!!! PM me your price on both sold separately. Thanks
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #38
REDCOMET
ninjette.org member

I was looking trough the site I post before and saw these wireless cams. If they can be hardwired to the bike would the work without interference? I might try this when I get my bike. If ever.
http://www.4kam.com/gutter_inspectio...htm#pole_cam_2

Old March 13th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #39
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCOMET View Post
I was looking trough the site I post before and saw these wireless cams. If they can be hardwired to the bike would the work without interference? I might try this when I get my bike. If ever.
http://www.4kam.com/gutter_inspectio...htm#pole_cam_2
Looks ok, for a set and forget fine, but it's not HD, so making out licence plates would be tough.

You'd need to install it on the bike given it needs a seperate dvr and battery power, their is a reason why all new shows use go-pros nowdays, they offter better quality.

Doesn't look like they've done much professional tv work for ten years.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #40
REDCOMET
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Looks ok, for a set and forget fine, but it's not HD, so making out licence plates would be tough.

You'd need to install it on the bike given it needs a seperate dvr and battery power, their is a reason why all new shows use go-pros nowdays, they offter better quality.

Doesn't look like they've done much professional tv work for ten years.
If you scroll down you'll see the HD version. They also come with a receiver that gives you live feed and records. The only problem is the are not made for motorcycles so no hardwire power option

HD version

Wireless monitor receiver