ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #1
tsdexter
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R - Kawi Green

New sprocket installed - alignment? Coolant drip?

I just got the 15T front sprocket installed last night (at the mechanic).

I took it for a ride down the hwy and when I stopped at the other end te coolant overflow tube had a few drips coming out - I've never noticed this before (or even any drip spots that I did see where they came from under the bike). It is warm out right now - 22 Celsius but I've ridden in hotter and didn't notice a drip (not saying it didn't happen tho, just didn't notice, but I usually look out for them).

Is it at all possible that installing the sprocket caused it to run hotter or effect the coolant system in anyway?

Also, is this alignment ok? I know you can't go entirely off the guides, but just want to clarify... I tried measuring from axle nut to the bolt where the swingarm attaches which was exactly 20" on one side and pretty close to 20" on the other (I couldn't get exact cause the tape bends a bit around the exhaust) - how far off would it take to make the chain jump or worse?

tsdexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #2
tsdexter
ninjette.org member

Also, I read one guy had a crash due to anti freeze on his tire... Doesn't that make the coolant overflow in a very dangerous spot (dripping right into the rear tire path)? I don't have anti freeze, I have the Prestone half and half coolant but that's probably still not good on a tire, no?

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Thomas, the sprocket change should have nothing to do with your coolant drip. Did your mech top off your fluid too? Maybe that is the reason your seeing a few drips. As long as it's not pouring out, it will not be a traction problem.

As far as your alignment goes. You can trust the marks on the swingarm or choose to NOT trust the marks and use another method of alignment (string method or something else). The bike will tell you if it is not happy with alignment if you listen and feel. At the track, we pretty much trust them unless there is known issue.

What to look for:
Will the bike track in a straight line without input to the bars
Getting mild head shake
Is your chain making binding noises or more noise than before (assuming chain is not to tight or to loose)
Watch for differences in tire wear
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #4
tsdexter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Thomas, the sprocket change should have nothing to do with your coolant drip. Did your mech top off your fluid too? Maybe that is the reason your seeing a few drips. As long as it's not pouring out, it will not be a traction problem.

As far as your alignment goes. You can trust the marks on the swingarm or choose to NOT trust the marks and use another method of alignment (string method or something else). The bike will tell you if it is not happy with alignment if you listen and feel. At the track, we pretty much trust them unless there is known issue.

What to look for:
Will the bike track in a straight line without input to the bars
Getting mild head shake
Is your chain making binding noises or more noise than before (assuming chain is not to tight or to loose)
Watch for differences in tire wear
Thanks ill watch out for all those on the way home - just drove to the USA which was like 200+ km with no issues. But didn't purposely check straight line or anything, just listened for excess chain noise.

And no, no fluid top up, I did it myself about 3 weeks ago tho.