ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 7th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #1
missinglink
ninjette.org member

Name: Trevin

Motorcycle(s): '01 Ninja 250r

Won't shift past 2nd gear

So my '01 ninja currently will not shift past 2nd gear. I'm pretty new at diagnosing stuff so am having problems figuring this out.

After not riding it for some months I did an oil change and took a ride around. It's during this ride where I noticed the problem. To be clear, I didn't dump it or anything so I don't believe anything will be bent which Is one thing I have noticed other people on the internet saying it could be.

It will shift down to 1st and up to N and 2nd when riding but no more than that. One thing I read about was a spring that is in the clutch housing that can break sometimes. Not sure if this is it. Any thoughts?
missinglink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 07:09 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
If it was OK before and the only thing that has happened to the machine is a long period of inactivity and a change of oil, it is possible that the problem is dried clutch's discs.

That means that the film of oil that normally remains pressed among those has flown down.
If that is true, the discs do not properly separate when you press the clutch levelr, dragging the gears in the transmission.

I would keep trying running the poor thing, shifting between 1 and 2 and engine-braking for some minutes.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #3
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If it was OK before and the only thing that has happened to the machine is a long period of inactivity and a change of oil, it is possible that the problem is dried clutch's discs.

That means that the film of oil that normally remains pressed among those has flown down.
If that is true, the discs do not properly separate when you press the clutch levelr, dragging the gears in the transmission.

I would keep trying running the poor thing, shifting between 1 and 2 and engine-braking for some minutes.
Depending on OP's mechanical knowledge, he might be better off taking the clutch plates out and soaking them in a bag of oil overnight. The only cost is some RTV and an oil change (which isn't necessary), and it would be a little easier. It would forsure be easier on the clutch if that was the problem.

Old March 8th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #4
HoneyBadgerRy

I know you said you didn't touch it or drop it, but just to cover the easy things, try taking the shifter off, using a pair of channel locks to make sure its not an ill-adjusted shifter, and if it is, readjust it properly.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 8th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #5
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Just push the shifter back down (to center) then try to shift again. Sticky shifters don't return, and need to be cleaned/lubed to operate. Before any disassembly, that's to where to start

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 8th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Did you recently take the shifter off? Lemme ask you this, how many times can you push down the shifter. If you can't find gears going up, maybe you can find them by pushing down. We call it GP shift... Perhaps it's that simple.

EDIT: Hmmmm, if you can get to second by clicking the shifter up, then it's not gp shift. But it wouldn't hurt to ensure the shift lever and linkage is installed and working as it should.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 10:08 AM   #7
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Did you recently take the shifter off? Lemme ask you this, how many times can you push down the shifter. If you can't find gears going up, maybe you can find them by pushing down. We call it GP shift... Perhaps it's that simple.
I run a GP pattern, and I didn't even think about this. I'd mark it helpful, but this is the best I can do.

Old March 8th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #8
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Check the shifter at the engine and see if it hits the case when trying to upshift, if it indeed hits the case, just adjust the rod and lever so you have more room for the engine to shift like it should.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #9
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Here's a short YouTube video that helps to visualize what's going on inside the EX250's gearbox (yes, the gearbox in the video is arranged identically to the EX250)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq11CusULlk

It's a really good video because they include an little inset animation of the shifter drum so you can also see the shifter drum moving the 3 shift forks to select each gear (down for 1st, then up for every other gear, so in the video you'll see the drum rotate in two directions)

In your problem something is preventing/blocking the selection of 3rd gear. Because the gearbox is sequential no other gears above the blocked gear can be accessed.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #10
missinglink
ninjette.org member

Hey Everyone, thanks for the ideas and things to check. I have to wait to check this stuff out until Friday as I work Monday through Thursday and don't have a garage to work on stuff.

Just to clarify with all the different thoughts... It sounds like the first and easiest thing to check is the shifter? Is this correct?

Old March 9th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #11
missinglink
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
Just push the shifter back down (to center) then try to shift again. Sticky shifters don't return, and need to be cleaned/lubed to operate. Before any disassembly, that's to where to start
When you say "Push the shifter back down (to center)" do you mean to N or 1st?

Just need some clarifying since this will be the first thing I would probably try.

Old March 9th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #12
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
If the shifter swings down 2" (to first ) and up 2" (to second) it needs to move to the zero point in its swing before you can shift up again.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #13
missinglink
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
If the shifter swings down 2" (to first ) and up 2" (to second) it needs to move to the zero point in its swing before you can shift up again.
So I tried what you said and did notice that the shifter was staying up and not going back to 0 on its own. I guess I have never paid attention enough to know that that is what it is doing. Anyways, I did what you said and pushed it to 0 and was able to shift up to 3 and higher.

I guess this is a good thing that this is all that's wrong? Is it just the cleaning/lubing of the shifter that I need to do? Whats best to use?

Thanks for your help! Happy to be making some progress on this.

Old March 10th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #14
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Ah! I remember I had this same problem when learning how to ride. I thought the shifter continued to move up, up, up, or down, down, down, to switch gears. I didn't know it was a "ratcheting" sort of mechanism.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2016, 06:25 AM   #15
HoneyBadgerRy

I'm not sure because I never had this problem before, but try cleaning it, and take a look at the shift spring. Is spring might be sagged out or broken.

Old March 11th, 2016, 06:32 AM   #16
Jdero_620
ninjette.org member

Name: Jaxon

Motorcycle(s): None anymore/yet

I had a bike that wouldn't shift at all when right off the trailer. So. My dad would get behind it while it was in neutral and running. And push down the hill and il drop it in first and floor it (it was a two stroke two hundred cc. Not much balls) and after a few laps around the parking lot it was good all day. So I agree with the above. Ride it lube it up and she should be okay.
Jdero_620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #17
missinglink
ninjette.org member

What is the best lubricant to use for lubing the shifter and related parts?

Old March 11th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #18
HoneyBadgerRy

I don't know if its the best, But I would likely use marvel mystery oil. (I keep a bottle of it for things that are a little corroded or have grease buildup and need lubed, and it works great.)

Old March 11th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #19
missinglink
ninjette.org member

Problem Resolved!

I got the problem fixed. Thanks to everyone for their input and help. Couldn't have done it without you all.

I adjusted the shifter and moved a few things around within it and just like that it was snapping back to the middle which allowed me to shift up with ease...

Next up... Carb Cleaning!

Thanks again to all!

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #20
HoneyBadgerRy

Glad to hear things turned out. Good luck with the carb cleaning.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:11 PM   #21
Nu2Street
ninjette.org member

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

I have a question about the same issue. My 06 250 is parked in my basement on blocks. I adjusted the shifter rod abut 1 turn so that the shift lever is lower and I will be able to shift up to 5th and 6ylth without lifting my foot off the prleg (hopefully). Right now the bike Wil shift down to first and up to second but no further. But... the bike isn't running either. Is this normal? I don't see any binding anywhere..
Nu2Street is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:12 PM   #22
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Street View Post
I have a question about the same issue. My 06 250 is parked in my basement on blocks. I adjusted the shifter rod abut 1 turn so that the shift lever is lower and I will be able to shift up to 5th and 6ylth without lifting my foot off the prleg (hopefully). Right now the bike Wil shift down to first and up to second but no further. But... the bike isn't running either. Is this normal? I don't see any binding anywhere..
Bike has to be running.

I'm curious why you needed to adjust it for 5th and 6th though....it's the same distance as 2-4.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2016, 05:25 PM   #23
Nu2Street
ninjette.org member

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

It sure didn't seem it. I was having to lift my foot slightly to get into the upper gears. Maybe it was the same. I was thinking you could only shift so far without the bike running but wanted to make sure.
Nu2Street is offline   Reply With Quote