Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old May 18th, 2016, 01:58 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Building a slamfire shotgun

Link to original page on YouTube.

This guy is a complete jackass in terms of gun safety (not in this video, I think, but in others), but it does look like a lot of fun. However, in Californee, I'd need a $200 AOW tax stamp to build something like this, and that's just dumb.

I don't really intend to do this, as I'm happy with the shotgun I own, but I'm curious. I live close to both Nevada and Oregon. I haven't researched those states' laws, but if I assembled one of these in a state where it's legal to do so, had proof it was assembled in said state, then brought it back home, would that be legal?

MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 04:39 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
lol @ permet for assembling pipes together in the shape of a gun. Do you need a permet to make this too?

What about potato guns?

I promise I am not trying to be a smart a** or anything, but just trying to make sure I am 100% NOT ever moving to cali.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:24 AM   #3
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
You are asking a very California specific legal question. Internet advice is worth what you pay for it, and taking the wrong advice could land you in prison for a very long time.

If you really want to build one of them I would suggest you consult a attorney in CA about the legalities of bringing one back into the state.

I know here in VA, as long as the shotgun barrel is over 18" there is no need for federal tax stamp/registration as a SBS or AOW.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #4
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
However, in Californee, I'd need a $200 AOW tax stamp to build something like this, and that's just dumb.
Why is that? As long as it is for personal use, not to be sold, meets minimum length and not full auto, what's the reason for the tax stamp?
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #5
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Just do it and tell them I built it for ya as a gift

Old May 18th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:41 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Alex, I have learned alot of my "let it slide" from you sir. /bow

Old May 18th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #8
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
You are asking a very California specific legal question. Internet advice is worth what you pay for it, and taking the wrong advice could land you in prison for a very long time.

If you really want to build one of them I would suggest you consult a attorney in CA about the legalities of bringing one back into the state.

I know here in VA, as long as the shotgun barrel is over 18" there is no need for federal tax stamp/registration as a SBS or AOW.
Normally when I ask legal questions like this I end up ultimately reading the fine print myself before doing this. The best reddit lawyers give you excerpts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post
Why is that? As long as it is for personal use, not to be sold, meets minimum length and not full auto, what's the reason for the tax stamp?
Its perfectly legal to build an AR-15 but if a certain percentage of a firearm deviates from an original design it becomes a "zip gun." If you pay the $200 tax stamp, its now an "AOW" and not a "zip gun" and therefore legal.

And csmith, spud guns are illegal if they're combustion based. Any other pneumatic system is okay. And its limited to anything similar to a tater gun. When I was 15 I made a combustion based .177 bb gun and I believe it was legal, but I don't want any Californians to call me from prison. I was never able to chronograph it but it could send a BB through most of a phonebook. To give something with such little mass that much force is amazing. I have no doubt that if I loaded a pellets into it, I could have accurately dialed in some optics and made a reasonably cheap, ethical pesting gun.

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:43 AM   #9
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:

Its perfectly legal to build an AR-15 but if a certain percentage of a firearm deviates from an original design it becomes a "zip gun." If you pay the $200 tax stamp, its now an "AOW" and not a "zip gun" and therefore legal.
No that is incorrect by federal law. I'm not sure of CA laws. There is no definition of a Zip Gun in federal law. And there is no federal requirement for a percentage of the gun to remain original.

The only way to make an AR15 into an AOW is to add a forward grip to an AR15 pistol. It is now a gun manufactured to be fired with 2 hands so it no longer meets the definition of a pistol, it is too short and has no but stock so it is not a rifle, it is not a shotgun, it does not meet the definition of any other firearm/weapon so it must be classified as Any Other Weapon (AOW)

If you manufacture a slam fire shotgun and the barrel is at least 18" long it is a shotgun which can be built with no federal registration, if it has a shoulder stock and a barrel under 18" it is an Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS) and requires a $200 tax stamp to build and another $200 tax stamp if you transfer it to someone, and if it has a barrel under 18" and a pistol grip it will be an AOW which requires a $200 tax stamp to build and a $5 tax stamp to transfer.

I've done ATF Form 1's and built SBR's, I'm waiting on form 1's to be approved to build suppressors, and I hang out in a buddy's shop that is a Type 07 manufacturer with a SOT for manufacturing NFA weapons.

NFA laws/rules are really confusing and almost silly at times.

For example, This is an AR15 pistol

If I put a vertical foregrip on it it will need to have a $200 tax stamp and be registered as an AOW, if I put an angled foregrip on it, it is still legal without the tax stamp.

Put a butstock on it and it becomes a short barreled rifle, but you can put an arm brace on it that looks like a butstock and it is still a pistol.

as long as you don't put the brace in your shoulder like a stock, do that and you are committing a federal felony.

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:48 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Thanks for the high level info. Man... they take all the fun outta everything out west.

To hell with it all, I am going to start building the biggest trebuchet Ky has ever seen. Used to launch people into the big lake beside my house. It will be great until some fun sponge comes along and shuts me down.

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

The original "slam fire."

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #12
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
No that is incorrect by federal law. I'm not sure of CA laws. There is no definition of a Zip Gun in federal law. And there is no federal requirement for a percentage of the gun to remain original.

The only way to make an AR15 into an AOW is to add a forward grip to an AR15 pistol. It is now a gun manufactured to be fired with 2 hands so it no longer meets the definition of a pistol, it is too short and has no but stock so it is not a rifle, it is not a shotgun, it does not meet the definition of any other firearm/weapon so it must be classified as Any Other Weapon (AOW)

If you manufacture a slam fire shotgun and the barrel is at least 18" long it is a shotgun which can be built with no federal registration, if it has a shoulder stock and a barrel under 18" it is an Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS) and requires a $200 tax stamp to build and another $200 tax stamp if you transfer it to someone, and if it has a barrel under 18" and a pistol grip it will be an AOW which requires a $200 tax stamp to build and a $5 tax stamp to transfer.

I've done ATF Form 1's and built SBR's, I'm waiting on form 1's to be approved to build suppressors, and I hang out in a buddy's shop that is a Type 07 manufacturer with a SOT for manufacturing NFA weapons.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old May 19th, 2016, 07:08 AM   #13
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So you are saying California law has a separate $200 registration requirement for NFA type weapons on top of the federal tax stamp?

Old May 19th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #14
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
So you are saying California law has a separate $200 registration requirement for NFA type weapons on top of the federal tax stamp?
Correct. Sorry for the excessive sarcasm.

Old May 23rd, 2016, 11:29 AM   #15
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Correct. Sorry for the excessive sarcasm.
You know you can just hit ctrl+f and search in browser...

Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:34 PM   #16
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Also fun: federal laws apply to Californians. There's nothing even remotely off topic or irrelevant about Vafish's contribution.