ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 17th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #1
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Help Restoring Windows 7

Hey all, my computer crashed :/ I'm having a lot of trouble trying to reinstal windows, either from the recovery partition on the HDD, and from the recovery disk. It's a 2 year old acer laptop. Once I get to the Acer recovery managment tool when the computer starts up (it never actually starts up, just gets to this screen and nothing ever happens) This is the screen it freezes at:

This happens whether i try doing it from the recovery parition, or the recovery cd

What happened: Was using it the other day, and when I was finished I put it to sleep mode. When I went back to use it, it started up and said "loading windows" Except it said this for about 10 minutes. I held the power button down to shut it off, and on start up it said it wanted to perform a check of the C: drive.. so I checked that option. When it was supposedly checking the HDD for errors, it wasn't doing anything.. so after 20 minutes I shut it off again and this time tried to start windows without running the check. It displayed the "loading windows" screen for about 30 minutes. I tried going back an forth between the two options with no luck to load the desktop. I finally decided it was time to reinstall the operating system anyway because the computer was bogged down with junk..and now I'm stuck at this point.

Please help!
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Your best bet would probably be to just straight up reinstall windows 7 by formatting your C:\ drive and starting new. There are tutorials on the internet. The only downside to this would be the fact that you'd lose all your documents, pictures, etc....Hopefully you kept those on an external or something. If you really want to fix your computer but don't want to lose your files, there are companies that specialize in this type of thing. Sadly, that's where my tech knowledge stops.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #3
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Sounds like a botched windows update. Does it start in safe mode? You should be able to recover from there.

Old June 17th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #4
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurodox View Post
there are companies that specialize in this type of thing.

Old June 17th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Hahahaha no! Everyone knows GS does nothing but take your money. I was talking about a data recovery company, since reformatting would probably be his best bet. It'd be my first move anyways....

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #6
az3200
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys.. No way of getting into safe mode, but I think I've found the problem: bad Hdd

Found an old Linux disk that I decided to try (Ubuntu 9.1) that loaded! Only thing is, it's telling me I have many bad sectors on the Hdd. Anyway to fix that or is it just time to replace the Hdd?

Oh, and if anyone knows anything about Ubuntu, how in the **** do you get online with it? Tried googling it on my phone but to me it's all a foreign language...

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
Thanks guys.. No way of getting into safe mode, but I think I've found the problem: bad Hdd

Found an old Linux disk that I decided to try (Ubuntu 9.1) that loaded! Only thing is, it's telling me I have many bad sectors on the Hdd. Anyway to fix that or is it just time to replace the Hdd?

Oh, and if anyone knows anything about Ubuntu, how in the **** do you get online with it? Tried googling it on my phone but to me it's all a foreign language...
Ubuntu, you probably just need to install your ethernet driver with the ubuntu version of the driver. Find out which ethernet driver came with the computer.

As for your HDD, I'm not too sure how to fix bad sectors (don't even know what that means honestly), but they are pretty cheap these days. If this is a desktop, I'd recommend a WD blue. I've my blue for 5 years and its still going strong!

Old June 18th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #8
az3200
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurodox View Post
Ubuntu, you probably just need to install your ethernet driver with the ubuntu version of the driver. Find out which ethernet driver came with the computer.

As for your HDD, I'm not too sure how to fix bad sectors (don't even know what that means honestly), but they are pretty cheap these days. If this is a desktop, I'd recommend a WD blue. I've my blue for 5 years and its still going strong!
But...how do I install the driver if I can't get on the Internet? I watched something on YouTube from my phone, but the drivers weren't there on the Ubuntu desktop. This is my first time ever trying Ubuntu. There is a computer repair shop right down the street from me. Gonna ride the ninjette there today and see if they can help.
Thanks so much!!

Old June 18th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You don't really fix bad sectors. When running a surface scan tool, the sectors are just marked bad/unusable and that space is lost. Some bad sectors are normal, a lot of bad sectors is a sign to buy a new HDD.

Got a mem stick? You made this post so that means you have access to the webs. Download the driver to mem stick, mount in ubuntu, install, WIN!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #10
az3200
ninjette.org member

hey guys...posting this FROM MY LAPTOP!!! I went to the computer repair shop and the tech turned me on to this OS called "Puppy Linux" I went to the library, downloaded it, and I'm running the OS off the disk...and connected to the internet )))

thanks for the help!