ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 18th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #1
cobra94svt
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

New guy with question!!

I just purchased a red 2009 250R with 13,500 miles. It's In good shape but there are some little things like the fairing by the turn signal is busted. What are some good places to get fairings. I've seen complete kits with different designs on them from eBay. Maybe a carbon fiber body kit? Also I think I may need a chain, I'm getting a little noise in first gear as I take off. Maybe some chain slap? It's coming from the rear around the sprocket. What kind of mods for power? Looking to put a full exhaust on it too, but want something loud!! Also what about some tires for a all around daily driver? I will keep searching the forum for answers. Thank for any help. I can wait to tear into this bike!!!
cobra94svt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Chris!

First thing... clean, lube and adjust the chain and your sound my go away. If the chain will not hold it's adjustment, then it's time for a new one barring any other damage/wear. Check your sprockets where your there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 18th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
The best bang for the buck is suspension modifications/upgrades, and better tires.

There is some ponies to be unlocked, but not a lot for the money it takes, best bet it to tune it up, and dial it in.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2016, 05:00 AM   #5
cobra94svt
ninjette.org newbie

Does anyone have a recommendation on a chain. Looked at mine this morning and it really stretched. Any specific people online to order from?

Old July 19th, 2016, 05:53 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Welcome, Chris!

I'll assume you're a fairly new rider. The very first thing to spend your money on, hands down, is good gear. All of it, and wear it all the time. Protect your hide. The bike is a lot less important and aside from safety-related fixes, it'll keep. I'm not going to give you the grisly-roadrash-photo safety lecture, but just stop and THINK for about 30 seconds about why gear matters. You've got a brain. Use it.

Assuming you've got good gear already....

Ghostt said it. Best way to spend your money is on handling. An exhaust is the lowest bang for the buck out there. Tires first, then suspension.

I have no direct experience with eBay fairings, but if it were me I'd stay away. I've heard not-so-favorable things about fit and quality. Real carbon fiber is spending a HELL of a lot of money for not particularly good reason.

Re tires: There are several good options out there for these bikes now. You'll find a tradeoff between ultimate grip and durability (=$$). OEM tires are hard so they last, but they're not that great in terms of grip. A sport touring tire like the Pirelli Sport Demon is a good choice and offers a nice balance between durability and grip. PS: Guys I know at the track ride on sport touring tires and go hellaciously fast... in a battle of skill against bike parts, skill will win every time.

Re suspension: Live with it until you figure out what you don't like, rather than throw money at it just because someone told you to. If you're a new rider, chances are it'll be awhile before you really start testing the limits of the suspension. Starting points are springs for your weight, different spacers to get the sag right, plus different fork oil and/or different fork oil height to improve damping. From there you get into modding hard parts, swapping the shock, etc.

Re chain: You may want to fiddle with your sprocket sizes; many do, but it's a tradeoff. I left mine stock. Do some reading. OEM is fine, or a reputable brand; go get a bike magazine and see who advertises. Get a rivet-type (not clip-style) master link and a decent chain tool.

Finally... regarding exhaust, just my $0.02 but loud does not mean better. A freeer flowing exhaust can make more power, but volume and power are not correlated. The loudest pipes aren't the ones that deliver the most horsepower.

What loud likely does mean is a bike that's annoying as hell, and not just for those around you. It gets pretty old for you too. Think about how your head will feel after two hours on the bike. Don't be fooled.... 250s are LOUD!!!!

I had an AreaP QuietCore on my bike and it was fantastic. Louder than stock, but not obnoxious... but the best part was that it sounded GOOD. Throaty, rumbly, sexy. That bike had tons of character.

If you go for an exhaust you'll want to rejet the carbs and do the other usual power mods. I did snorkel delete, Kleen Air delete, and K&N panel filter in addition to the exhaust. Time to educate yourself... do a bunch of searching and learn how carbs work.

Last note: Ride it like ya stole it. The bike is happiest north of 9,000 rpm and will run that way all day long.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; July 19th, 2016 at 08:37 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2016, 05:54 AM   #7
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Rocky Mountain ATV has a great chain at a great price.
It's their brand, Primary drive, made by DID from what I hear.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 19th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra94svt View Post
............ I can wait to tear into this bike!!!
Welcome !!!

Is this your first bike?
Do you have riding experience?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #9
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome.

For the farings check for used OEM.

Old July 20th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #10
cobra94svt
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the info. In 2003 I bought a new cbr 600 for my first bike but left it stock and had it for about 6 months. Wanted another one and my wife said she wanted to try and learn to ride. That led me to the the 250. Went to the Kawasaki dealer yesterday and picked up a chain and some pj chain lube. May get some sprockets too, probably 14T/47T.

Old July 21st, 2016, 05:20 PM   #11
Ryan_005
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I beleive you get alot of bang for your buck on an full exhaust system and jetting your carbs on a 250.... I recently did mine and spent around $600 and am blown away by the results.

Old July 21st, 2016, 09:08 PM   #12
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Also pick up some chain cleaner as well. Make sure you clean the chain before you re-lube it. My OEM chain lasted me 18,000 miles before it stretched and wouldn't hold its tightness.